Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
If firearms are use as intended, it's not an illegal act at all.

They're not intented to buy and go kill people illegally.
Firearms are tools. Some are designed for hunting, some for self-defense, and some for military/law enforcement. Those military/LE firearms are tools for killing humans. That is their intended purpose. Period.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Firearms are tools. Some are designed for hunting, some for self-defense, and some for military/law enforcement. Those military/LE firearms are tools for killing humans. That is their intended purpose. Period.
If that was their only intended purpose, they wouldn't be sold in the stores! Exclamation Point!

Some people like shooting different variations of guns as a hobby, not intent to kill others at all. BOOM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
If that was their only intended purpose, they wouldn't be sold in the stores! Exclamation Point!

Some people like shooting different variations of guns as a hobby, not intent to kill others at all. BOOM.
I know, I am one of them. I used to shoot competitively. Doesn't change the fact that they are designed for killing humans, not for target shooting. There are weapons designed specifically for that, but they would not do well as a combat rifle.

Just because you aren't using a tool as it is designed to be used, does not change its intended purpose. I can use a wrench to hammer in a nail, doesn't mean that is its purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
ICKYSHUFFLE's Avatar
ICKYSHUFFLE ICKYSHUFFLE is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,213
Rep Points: 2855
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I was talking about little .22 pistols.

As for assault rifles, can you name a common scenario where you would need to shoot someone from 25+ yards away to defend yourself? If you have time to fish an assault rifle out of your truck, you probably have time to get away from your attacker. I see no need for an semi auto assault rifle, period.

Btw, I don't see why you would need 22 round clips for personal defense unless you're a terrible shot or you think you're going to be attacked by a motorcycle gang.
First off, I need 22 round mags because I don't want to have to reload so quick.
And you aren't always going to be in situations where you have 1 intruder/attacker coming at you. 25 yards is long in football but not a big distance for an unimpeded person to cover.
And who says I would have my rifle in the truck? If it's an open carry state I could strap my Mosin Nagant(1947 Russian surplus 7.62x54R) to my back and walk down the street with it LEGALLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Here's where this fails. None of those things are designed to kill human beings. They can be used to do so, yes, but that is not their intended purpose. There are firearms out there that are designed as tools for nothing more than to kill people. So, ifi using them as they are intended in their design, you are committing an illegal act. Everything you mentioned, if used as intended, does not result in an illegal act.
FAIL AGAIN! Guns aren't designed to kill people, they are designed to put lead on a TARGET. Now there is where the PERSON comes into play and what they decide to use it for.
A baseball bat is designed to hit balls but if someone decided to bash someones head in does that make all bats murder weapons? Does that make all baseball players loony psychopaths because they have multiple bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post
The REAL problem here, imo; is with the increased security in school and other public places, how does one deranged idiot carry a virtual arsenal into the school without him being detected? When I went to school, many people had a deer rifle in the old gun rack; yet with NO security whatsoever, it would have been near impossible to just walk into the school packing a rifle without somebody noticing. Gun control is the easiest scapegoat people can find, but it's neither the problem nor the solution to this particular tragedy. The real problem here started in the home. Kids don't respect life, liberty , or property today, and it all started when somebody decided busting a kid's arse was cruel and unusual punishment, and damaged their little psyches. What that did was plant the seed of no fear and respect of anyone or anything and it inevitably grows into a sense of invincibility which too often ends up badly for everyone as evidenced here. The country wages a war on drugs, yet decides the solution to every "bad' child is to give them drugs at an early age rather than make them mind? There's your problem,imo.
This is word for word the problem today, too may bad *** kids with no respect.
If they are cussing their parent's out and punching them at the age of 6-8 then they have been raised wrong. These little hellians need a good *** busting not someone telling them "you better stop before I count to 3 or you going to timeout"
Back when I was a kid I barely ever heard some kid cussing their parents(atleast not without an *** whipping shortly after) Now you got kids that just run wild all day and the parents barely do anything. I can't go through wal mart without hearing some little daemon child throwing a major hissy fit because they aren't getting what they want.
Then you got parents who act like servants to their kids.
I could go on but I gotta head to work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
FAIL AGAIN! Guns aren't designed to kill people, they are designed to put lead on a TARGET. Now there is where the PERSON comes into play and what they decide to use it for.
A baseball bat is designed to hit balls but if someone decided to bash someones head in does that make all bats murder weapons? Does that make all baseball players loony psychopaths because they have multiple bats?
There are some firearms designed for target shooting, true enough. But they are a small number compared to those designed for other purposes. Just because you choose to use a firearm recreationally does not mean that was its intended purpose. Firearms are not toys, they are tools for killing. As I stated in another post, just because how you use something is not the intended purpose, does not change the purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I know, I am one of them. I used to shoot competitively. Doesn't change the fact that they are designed for killing humans, not for target shooting. There are weapons designed specifically for that, but they would not do well as a combat rifle.

Just because you aren't using a tool as it is designed to be used, does not change its intended purpose. I can use a wrench to hammer in a nail, doesn't mean that is its purpose.
And the revolving circle goes round and round. If it's intended purpose was to kill humans, why haven't more people that own them killed anyone yet? It's an extremely small minority of people that use them illegally.

Agree to disagree though.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
And the revolving circle goes round and round. If it's intended purpose was to kill humans, why haven't more people that own them killed anyone yet? It's an extremely small minority of people that use them illegally.

Agree to disagree though.
I think where the disconnect is, is that most people don't think of target shooting for what it is, versus what we think it is. We think of target shooting as just some sport, nothing to it.

Target shooting and the events surrounding it are just like medieval games. Jousting, the melee, things like that. It consists of hunters and/or warriors showing off their prowess and honing their skills. We've modernized it with technology and flashy colors to the point where it has become unrecognizable but make no mistake about it, that's what competitive and recreational shooting is at its core. It is practice for killing.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I think where the disconnect is, is that most people don't think of target shooting for what it is, versus what we think it is. We think of target shooting as just some sport, nothing to it.

Target shooting and the events surrounding it are just like medieval games. Jousting, the melee, things like that. It consists of hunters and/or warriors showing off their prowess and honing their skills. We've modernized it with technology and flashy colors to the point where it has become unrecognizable but make no mistake about it, that's what competitive and recreational shooting is at its core. It is practice for killing.
Alcohol should be illegal to then as driving a car buzzed is also practice for killing.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Alcohol should be illegal to then as driving a car buzzed is also practice for killing.
Does using alcohol as intended cause any harm to those around you? The answer is no.

I'm also having trouble with ascertaining the logic used to come to your conclusion.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Does using alcohol as intended cause any harm to those around you? The answer is no.

I'm also having trouble with ascertaining the logic used to come to your conclusion.

Does using an assault rifle as intended calm harm to those around you? The answer is also no.


I can't help you out buddy, I have to keep you on your toes.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Does using an assault rifle as intended calm harm to those around you? The answer is also no.
Actually, the answer is yes. Assuming you meant "cause harm" and not "calm harm."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
I can't help you out buddy, I have to keep you on your toes.
Well, here is the problem. Your argument is that because driving while buzzed is practice for killing, alcohol should be illegal.

My argument is not that firearms should be illegal, or assault style weapons even, because target shooting is practice for killing. My argument is that the intended purpose of them is to kill human beings, which it is.

The intended purpose of alcohol is not to kill.

The intended purpose of a vehicle/driving is not to kill.

So your statement's logic is flawed.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Actually, the answer is yes. Assuming you meant "cause harm" and not "calm harm."



Well, here is the problem. Your argument is that because driving while buzzed is practice for killing, alcohol should be illegal.

My argument is not that firearms should be illegal, or assault style weapons even, because target shooting is practice for killing. My argument is that the intended purpose of them is to kill human beings, which it is.

The intended purpose of alcohol is not to kill.

The intended purpose of a vehicle/driving is not to kill.

So your statement's logic is flawed.
As flawed as your logic about guns in my eyes as lower than 1% of civilians that buy said firearms do not kill anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
As flawed as your logic about guns in my eyes as lower than 1% of civilians that buy said firearms do not kill anyone.
What somebody does with a firearm does not change what it was designed for. That's not flawed logic, that's a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
What somebody does with a firearm does not change what it was designed for. That's not flawed logic, that's a fact.
That's not a fact, it's your opinion on what they're fully designed for in the first place.

If they were only designed for that just that, you or me wouldn't be able to purchase one as they would be illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Carlos Spicyweiner's Avatar
Carlos Spicyweiner Carlos Spicyweiner is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Where the Realists congregate
Posts: 2,346
Rep Points: 5641
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
I've heard about a lot of people rushing out to get guns after this incident.

When someone tells me that they own a gun, they tell me a lot about themselves.
Zona...Now understand me here. I am not attacking your stance on this argument.
But what exactly does someone saying they own a gun, tell you about that person?
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
That's not a fact, it's your opinion on what they're fully designed for in the first place.

If they were only designed for that just that, you or me wouldn't be able to purchase one as they would be illegal.
What's a fact is that using something for what it is not designed for does not change what it is designed for. Please keep up and try to argue against actual points I have made.

As for the second part, that is speculation. The gun lobby is huge in politics and fear mongering about it is at an all time high.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Spicyweiner View Post
Zona...Now understand me here. I am not attacking your stance on this argument.
But what exactly does someone saying they own a gun, tell you about that person?
Tells him that he should probably not try to break into their house
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Stewee28's Avatar
Stewee28 Stewee28 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cincy Burbs, Ohio
Posts: 697
Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

This subject will be a touchy one once the government gets involved. Obama is looking more and more like someone who wants to regulate guns, and after what has happened, is understandalbe. This is a "line drawn in the sand" type of subject. You are either for or against guns, I dont really think there is an inbetween.

As far as how I feel about guns? I have been shooting guns since I was a young boy with my father. I am not scared of guns and like to believe I know how to use and properly handle a gun. With that being said, my father has a great collection of guns in the basement. He also kept his gun safe locked at all times and he was the only one in the house who knew where the key was; not even my mother knew where it was. Guns are dangerous to those who do not know how to use one. A lot of people hate guns and I can understand why. I will always have a gun in my house, mainly for protection. I would make sure that gun is locked away in a safe and secure place within my home at all times. I would NEVER own a semi or fully automatic weapon, because I believe there is no reason for a citizen outside of the military or police enforcement to have one.

This makes two public shootins in one week, and the third large shooting this year. My prayers and condolences go out to the families of the Conn. shooting. This elementary shooting is very upsetting and I found myself shedding some tears after hearing of the deaths of these young, innocent children. I cannot even begin to understand how that community is copping with this tragedy. May God look over them and shine his bright light on their future.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
What's a fact is that using something for what it is not designed for does not change what it is designed for. Please keep up and try to argue against actual points I have made.

As for the second part, that is speculation. The gun lobby is huge in politics and fear mongering about it is at an all time high.
You've ventured away from my fact that less than 1% use them for their so called "designed purpose" of killing people. If the percentage was up, then yeah you might have a point or a RhythmicGeek destined fact.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
You've ventured away from my fact that less than 1% use them for their so called "designed purpose" of killing people. If the percentage was up, then yeah you might have a point or a RhythmicGeek destined fact.
But that fact holds no bearing on my argument. Just because people don't use it as intended doesn't change it's intended purpose. I've purchased golf balls to shoot, does that mean that is what they were designed for? No. and it wouldn't even if that's what they were primarily purchased for. They were still designed for the game of golf.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
But that fact holds no bearing on my argument. Just because people don't use it as intended doesn't change it's intended purpose. I've purchased golf balls to shoot, does that mean that is what they were designed for? No. and it wouldn't even if that's what they were primarily purchased for. They were still designed for the game of golf.

So you're getting all fired up solely on what you feel is the only purpose these said firearms are designed for? lol. Why the hell did you waste my time too! I don't care what you personally feel they're fully designed for...
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
So you're getting all fired up solely on what you feel is the only purpose these said firearms are designed for? lol. Why the hell did you waste my time too! I don't care what you personally feel they're fully designed for...
Firearms designed for military use are designed for killing humans. That's not my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,216
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
Firearms designed for military use are designed for killing humans. That's not my opinion.


Civilians don't buy them for military use.

They're designed for a hobby for civilian use
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 22,892
Rep Points: 36238
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post


Civilians don't buy them for military use.

They're designed for a hobby for civilian use
If I collect coins as a hobby does that change the fact that the coins were designed as currency?

Just because we make a hobby out of something does not change the intended purpose of the item. I'm not sure how else to put it. You keep making the same claim, I make the same statement in response. Using something in a manner other than intended does not change the intended purpose. Not sure how much clearer to make that.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Morning Star Morning Star is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,806
Rep Points: 2354
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

I think we should all have a gun because crime is lower when they know you can shoot back!!!!!!!1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.