Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1114
Default Center Rotation

Looks like the rotating center situation will continue into the Steelers game. Can't say that I agree with it as I think a O-Line relies on cohesivenss and building chemistry but it is what it is. There will also be an interesting decesion to make with Kickers as Nugent should be back as well..

Taken off the Bengals.com main page.

After splitting the snaps last Sunday between rookie center Trevor Robinson and Kyle Cook, Robinson had two more Thursday, 42-40. Gruden says he has no problems with the rotation the last two games and says it's not a reason for the breakdown of pass protection and the 11 sacks that have been allowed in the last eight quarters. "It's like wide receiver," said Gruden, who says both guys have strengths. "We don't have a standout guy that deserves to play every snap. If you have two guys that are pretty good you might as well use them both.
"That's kind of the case at center. Trevor's done a great job, he's improved tremendously, he's a hell of a center and going to be one for a long time in the NFL. Cookie has done some great things here as well. It's not like he doesn't deserve to play. They both I think are capable centers and do great things."
It sounds like Gruden would like to use a little of both in Pittsburgh at hostile Heinz Field and defensive coordinator **** Lebeau's smart and multiple defense that Cook has played against six times.
"Flip side of that Trevor is maybe a little bit more athletic right now. He gets up on guys at the second level," Gruden said. "But there will be a guy right over his nose and Cookie has seen that and done that, especially in some of their odd blitz fronts where he's done all the pointing and communicating and that's important, too. I like them both, to be honest with you; it's not an issue whatsoever. Communication is the same, Andy has no problem getting the snaps. If we were fumbling snaps or something it would be something different. But it's not even an issue, it's not even a story. They both are good players."
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 515
Default Re: Center Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkyDiesel View Post
Looks like the rotating center situation will continue into the Steelers game. Can't say that I agree with it as I think a O-Line relies on cohesivenss and building chemistry but it is what it is. There will also be an interesting decesion to make with Kickers as Nugent should be back as well..

After splitting the snaps last Sunday between rookie center Trevor Robinson and Kyle Cook, Robinson had two more Thursday, 42-40. Gruden says he has no problems with the rotation the last two games and says it's not a reason for the breakdown of pass protection and the 11 sacks that have been allowed in the last eight quarters. "It's like wide receiver," said Gruden, who says both guys have strengths. "We don't have a standout guy that deserves to play every snap. If you have two guys that are pretty good you might as well use them both.
"That's kind of the case at center. Trevor's done a great job, he's improved tremendously, he's a hell of a center and going to be one for a long time in the NFL. Cookie has done some great things here as well. It's not like he doesn't deserve to play. They both I think are capable centers and do great things."
It sounds like Gruden would like to use a little of both in Pittsburgh at hostile Heinz Field and defensive coordinator **** Lebeau's smart and multiple defense that Cook has played against six times.
"Flip side of that Trevor is maybe a little bit more athletic right now. He gets up on guys at the second level," Gruden said. "But there will be a guy right over his nose and Cookie has seen that and done that, especially in some of their odd blitz fronts where he's done all the pointing and communicating and that's important, too. I like them both, to be honest with you; it's not an issue whatsoever. Communication is the same, Andy has no problem getting the snaps. If we were fumbling snaps or something it would be something different. But it's not even an issue, it's not even a story. They both are good players."
I think Gruden is a four start IDIOT!!! I could never understand why anyone on here was calling for him to be head coach when he hadn't proven anything yet. Anyone with marginal football knowledge can pull off one decent year as a coach in the NFL. The trick is doing it long term like LeBeau or Lovie Smith, etc. For him to to sit there and say he thinks they're both good enough is the biggest cop out of all. He just doesn't have the sack to make a decision because he doesn't want to hurt someone's feelings. Man up, put Robinson in and live with your decision. Gutless.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1596

Although, stats have proven over the past couple games that the rotation doesnt seem to be working I have no problem with those 2 switching the next 2 games. For the simple fact as stated above, Cook has dealt with the two monsters in the middle for awhile now. I think it'll help out Robinson watching and then doing in a rotation against Hampton and Ngata. I think it will a good indication of how he does the next two games on whether Cook will be the starting center next year or not. Either way Robinson has done awesome this year and has a bright future.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5543

Quote:
Originally Posted by magishn1 View Post
I think Gruden is a four start IDIOT!!! I could never understand why anyone on here was calling for him to be head coach when he hadn't proven anything yet. Anyone with marginal football knowledge can pull off one decent year as a coach in the NFL. The trick is doing it long term like LeBeau or Lovie Smith, etc. For him to to sit there and say he thinks they're both good enough is the biggest cop out of all. He just doesn't have the sack to make a decision because he doesn't want to hurt someone's feelings. Man up, put Robinson in and live with your decision. Gutless.
Sports writers were also suggesting that Gruden would be stolen away from us. That was earlier this year before our 4 game losing streak.

I don't like the rotation either, but if there is an upside, it is that our Center should still be much fresher by the end of the game. I remember last year we lost our 2nd game to the Ravens mostly because the line ran out of gas (though I think that was more at OT).
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30359

Quote:

I call B.S. gruden ****ing messing with your OL and rotation the most key piece the Center had everything thing to do with the OL collapse the last few games.

We didnt have any collapse like that with just robinson playing.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
I call B.S. gruden ****ing messing with your OL and rotation the most key piece the Center had everything thing to do with the OL collapse the last few games.

We didnt have any collapse like that with just robinson playing.
Couldn't agree more
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37620

Quote:
"It's like wide receiver," said Gruden,
For Real?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 282

Here's my opinion on this whole center rotation bs. I think it is absolutely idiotic. I feel that it messes up the Oline chemistry and messes up timing in general. I think the job should go to Robinson, because the O-line has played a heck of a lot better when he's in there. Yes, he has his bad moments, but I'd feel more confident with him than cook in there. Heck if you have to split snaps with an UDFA C then you arent very good anyways. Just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5569

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBengalsFan View Post
Here's my opinion on this whole center rotation bs. I think it is absolutely idiotic. I feel that it messes up the Oline chemistry and messes up timing in general. I think the job should go to Robinson, because the O-line has played a heck of a lot better when he's in there. Yes, he has his bad moments, but I'd feel more confident with him than cook in there. Heck if you have to split snaps with an UDFA C then you arent very good anyways. Just my opinion.
Kinda weird for you to say... they are both UDFA's.... However, I do like the way the line was playing with Robinson at C. We need to win these next two and I'm all for which ever one gives us the Best Chance.

We just gave Cook a 5 year contract last year, so unless his play really falls off, he's most likely not going anywhere unless we can trade him for a nice ransom.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22580

Lol.
Love it.
Yes Kyle Cook rotating in is why Andre got beaten like a rented mule on Thursday.
Not because Graham represents the smaller speed rusher he historically has struggled with. But because the center rotated.
The rotation is why Boling got trucked by a rookie.
The rotation is why Zeitler got fooled hard on a swim move.

Keep it up. This **** is comedic gold
Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12405

Who ever heard of such center rotation foolishness. It was fine (well i ignored it) the first game Cook was back, in a okay work his way into playing shape kinda way. But he was suppose to be ready by now. If not ready to start full time, we need to bench him and stick with Robinson. I can't believe we plan on rotating the rest of the season. I didn't think that was the direction we was going in when cook returned. Grudens honeymoon around here is on shaky ground.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7267

Boling is a backup.

Cook = Guycheck

Fat Boy = Overpaid
Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22580

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler View Post
boling is a backup.

Cook = guycheck

fat boy = overpaid
lol
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6988

I really liked Gruden last year and thought we had an amazing steal with him as our OC... but he has really been p*****g me off lately. In fact, he's starting to p*** me off more than Marvin (and that is not easy to do).

He clearly doesn't recognize the important of team chemistry. The offense as a whole was playing far better with Robinson, yet he wants to rotate the struggling Cook in and out... it's completely stupid.

Gruden had better get his head out of his *** and call a brilliant game on Sunday... if we see anything we have seen these past few weeks the Steelers will DESTROY the Bengals.

If he actually does decide to rotate center on Sunday... it's not going to be pretty, folks.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Boling is a backup.

Cook = Guycheck

Fat Boy = Overpaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
lol
I don't think Rattler is joking.

He is really that clueless about O-linemen.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 520

We have struggled recently on O there is no question about that if we continue to struggle the next two games and are lucky enough to make it into the playoffs do we rotate centers in a playoff game.I understand rotating guys on the D-line but to do this on the Oline when we can not protect the QB is just a joke.Gruden said he wanted to see better play out of Dalton in last two games he never metioned the Oline needs to play better and keep Dalton clean or clean up the flags since we had 10 plus last game.Robinson should be starting everyone knows it except Gruden.Just like he picked the wrong WR to cut this year it shows by how badly we are struggling to find a #2 something we have been trying to find all year I do not care about the Sanu injury its a rough sport that is why you should have quality back ups to replace your guys.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I don't think Rattler is joking.

He is really that clueless about O-linemen.
While you're clueless to .375 record under our illustrious combination of Mikey Boy and his Piano Man.

.375 ain't bad huh Toast and playoff wins don't mean anything, as long as the books are in the black.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
While you're clueless to .375 record under our illustrious combination of Mikey Boy and his Piano Man.

.375 ain't bad huh Toast and playoff wins don't mean anything, as long as the books are in the black.
How successful was DlCK Lebeau as Defensive coordinator under Mike Brown?

Was it Alexanders fault that the defense stunk here under LeBeau?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsBong View Post
I understand rotating guys on the D-line but to do this on the Oline when we can not protect the QB is just a joke.Gruden said he wanted to see better play out of Dalton in last two games he never metioned the Oline needs to play better and keep Dalton clean or clean up the flags since we had 10 plus last game.Robinson should be starting everyone knows it except Gruden.Just like he picked the wrong WR to cut this year .
Cook was not the problem with our O-line Thursday night.

And we never cut the "wrong" WR in the preseason.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
How successful was DlCK Lebeau as Defensive coordinator under Mike Brown?

Was it Alexanders fault that the defense stunk here under LeBeau?
Are you off your med's? I know it's hard for you, but the topic is the offensive line.

How does **** LeBeau's defense pertain to the inability for a line 10 years removed to pass protect?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

NEWSFLASH: Cook is below average and wouldn't start for a team with a dominant O-line.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21280

NEWSFLASH: Cook is below average and wouldn't start for a team with a dominant O-line.

I agree.

But he will likely start over a very promising young center....
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

I agree.

But he will likely start over a very promising young center....
Because Marvin likes to play the Bigger contract instead of the better talent.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

what WR you referring to....

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Are you off your med's? I know it's hard for you, but the topic is the offensive line.

How does **** LeBeau's defense pertain to the inability for a line 10 years removed to pass protect?
Okay, let em male it simple for you. The proof you offer that paul Alexander is a bad coach is the fact that we have not won with him working under Mike Brown. So I mpoint out that a Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator also failed to win anything or put together a good defense under Mike Brown.

Is it really that hard for you to understand simple logical arguments?