Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33476
Default Re: It takes years to develop QB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
Look at Eli Manning...I say he turned out alright

WHO DEY
For a 2 time SB champ to be constantly called completely inconsistant...

Eh... Eli is OK QB not great by any means....

But a good example is Atlantas QB unless they lose their first playoff game this year.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
After watching last night game I have to disagree with most of you. Look at Kaepernick. Look at the cluchtness, pocket presence and plays he did. And he is a rookie. You can't draft someone thinking all in the future, you need to see the answer in the present too.
Actually a 2nd year player, who took over a team that last year and up to this year before he took over had gone 19-5 with Smith at QB (20-6 counting playoffs). Keapernick is an exciting young player, but you just can't compare players straight-up when there are such vastly different circumstances.

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 12-17-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3294

Dalton will probably make pro bowl again if we beat PITT and BAL. I think hes already there.....His next step imo isnt just becming good....its becoming elite. He doesnt make all the same throws Carson made, but hes better at extending plays with his legs than Carson was.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Actually a 2nd year player, who took over a team that last year and up to this year before he took over had gone 19-5 with Smith at QB (20-6 counting playoffs). Keapernick is an exciting young player, but you just can't compare players straight-up when there are such vastly different circumstances.
Plus he has yet to do it against a good defense - the Pats had big issues last night with letting small passes turn into big plays by not covering properly.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: It takes years to develop QB's

Quote:

big ben won a superbowl ring his second year.andy dalton could do that this year.jay gruden must put together a super great game plan,andy has to handle the game plan all the way. our defense has to be great. put big ben on the turf alot.must rush the qb all game. not just the front four.put pressure on ben. if not, we get beat.big ben is the answer for them. this is going to be super hard to win this one. our team has to refuse to lose and it will be a playoff atmosphere there. that place will be NUTS. i am concerned that our 0-line and andy will not handle the pressure.only way our guys win is if they put a 30 up on them. gruden has to do his best job of his career against **** lebeau or else we get hammered.with wins against dallas, dolphins and brownies, we would be sittin pretty.we so should have handled that.i believe its going to be another what if season. hope i am wrong.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33476

Quote:
Smith didnt deserve the benching they better let him go some place nice.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5795

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Smith didnt deserve the benching they better let him go some place nice.
Intinially, he didn't get benched in favor of Colin, he was hurt and Colin has since taken over the spot and kept it. Also I don't think Smith was the Coach's choice since they left him hanging for so long this past Free Agency period while they were trying to find another QB.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 845

I think Andy can get to that next level in time. But one thing is for sure, "Stats are for Loosers".

People are raving about Luck because he has put a horrible team on his back and won games. Remember how bad the Colts were last year? You could argue the Colts have less talent on this years team.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle bum View Post
I think Andy can get to that next level in time. But one thing is for sure, "Stats are for Loosers".

People are raving about Luck because he has put a horrible team on his back and won games. Remember how bad the Colts were last year? You could argue the Colts have less talent on this years team.
The Colts were 1-7 in games decided by a TD or less in 2011.

This year, they're 8-1 in games decided by a TD or less.

That's what a good new HC and a competent young QB will do for you.

The Colts weren't a terrible team last year (or this year). They were losing close games with Dan freaking Orlovsky at QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
After watching last night game I have to disagree with most of you. Look at Kaepernick. Look at the cluchtness, pocket presence and plays he did. And he is a rookie. You can't draft someone thinking all in the future, you need to see the answer in the present too.
No, he's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
They threw a fact out Thursday night that I was not really aware of. They said Dalton in his first 2 seasons has not thrown a redzone interception. They said he has had over 100 attempts in the redzone without an INT. I thought that was an interesting fact when you consider how compact the field gets inside the 20.
That's a clutch statistic right there. He's never choked in the red zone.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-17-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1884

I am not sure why we are arguing this, Dalton isn't even the best QB on the team.

Sanu is 100% in TD passes per throw and is averaging 73 yds at the same time.

It's time you all quit drinking the kool aid and go with the best performer.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Quote:
Look at Eli Manning...I say he turned out alright

With few exceptions (Luck and Griffin) , QB's need a few years AT LEAST to be great in the nfl.

Be patient, friends. He WILL become a great QB one day. I'd say he's done we'll for just a sophomore when compared to Peyton and company

He'll get better with pocket presence. He'll do better with reads. It takes time for crying out loud

WHO DEY
What is the context that this thread was created under?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1881

Quote:
People want results now, which is great, especially for the bengals. But success doesn't happen overnight especially with QB's
Nor, with the Bengals
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldamapads View Post
I am not sure why we are arguing this, Dalton isn't even the best QB on the team.

Sanu is 100% in TD passes per throw and is averaging 73 yds at the same time.

It's time you all quit drinking the kool aid and go with the best performer.

Funny thing about that is some stats sites even credit Sanu with a 1-0 record as starting QB this season and Andy with only 7-6 on account of the fact that Sanu's pass was the first play of the Skins game. Just shows how people often don't put a lot of common sense into stats/records!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 928

Will this post be brought up in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.............?

Quarterback Andy Dalton is 17 - 13 with a playoff loss. Quarterback Dalton had yet to win against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore, going 0-6 against them.

Week 16 of the 2012 National Football League schedule has quarterback Dalton facing the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second most crucial game of his career (the first being the 2012 Wild Card game against the Houston Texans). In my preseason prediction I have the Cincinnati Bengals losing this game at Heinz Field and thus being eliminated from the 2012 National Football League playoffs.

I would prognosticate that in 2017, somebody will post that " It takes years to develop QB's" in reference to quarterback Dalton.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Will this post be brought up in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.............?

Quarterback Andy Dalton is 17 - 13 with a playoff loss. Quarterback Dalton had yet to win against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore, going 0-6 against them.

Week 16 of the 2012 National Football League schedule has quarterback Dalton facing the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second most crucial game of his career (the first being the 2012 Wild Card game against the Houston Texans). In my preseason prediction I have the Cincinnati Bengals losing this game at Heinz Field and thus being eliminated from the 2012 National Football League playoffs.

I would prognosticate that in 2017, somebody will post that " It takes years to develop QB's" in reference to quarterback Dalton.
Excellent post with sound logic. Too bad getting it "RIGHT" isn't accepted on this board by most when negativity is directed at Dalton.
I however salute you for you're past and present spot on evaluations in regards to Dalton. You have been consistently correct. And so have I...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2060

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
What is the context that this thread was created under?

Lots of people are on Andy's jock strap. Give the guy time, is all I'm saying.

I don't understand the context of your question...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
Excellent post with sound logic. Too bad getting it "RIGHT" isn't accepted on this board by most when negativity is directed at Dalton.
I however salute you for you're past and present spot on evaluations in regards to Dalton. You have been consistently correct. And so have I...
Yep you guys are so right. I mean Heck if he is the best in the league in his second season then who needs him. Shoot I say we draft his replacement this upcoming year and just throwte towel in on him.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18390

Andy needs two things to really step up to great QB level !

One is to become better in the pocket, that inner clock needs a little refining. He's late on throws at times and rushes them on others. He needs to learn to step up in the pocket when the rush pressure is outside. He needs that inner clock to again say get rid of ball when nothings there, I believe he's overthinking things sometimes !

Two he needs a true #2 to emerge, be it Sanu, or Jones or someone not even on the roster yet.

When he gets a little better at the timing and pocket awareness and a true #2 emerges, look out !
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2060

Quote:
Yep you guys are so right. I mean Heck if he is the best in the league in his second season then who needs him. Shoot I say we draft his replacement this upcoming year and just throwte towel in on him.
Yeah let's draft a QB every other year like the browns. Seems like it's going well for him. Better yet, we can surround them with players with no talent, and it will be his fault. All of which is deserved
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6800

Quote:
What did you expect from a bot like Umkubas and the others in the anti-Dalton troll brigade?

These "fans" have been on a hate campaign against Andy since he was drafted. As part of it they deliberately ignore the huge issues with dropped balls and poorly run routes that have plagued the offense. After all, then they would have to admit the reality that the lack of any reliable receiving option outside of AJ Green has made it VERY hard for us to have a consistent passing game. And following that comes the next logical point - that for Dalton to have the numbers he does with only one reliable WR, spotty blocking and a spotty run game is actually way better than the norm for second year QBs.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Interesting OSUfan, you do have humor.
I doubt anybody expected Dalton to be the best QB in NFL in only his 2nd year or if ever. That said, with one of the best defenses in the league he's good enough to expect a winning season.
Here's the big ugly. The fact that so few HERE speak with CONCERN of Daltons OBVIOUS limited/poor skills such as bad accuracy, eyeballing the WR he's predetermined to throw to, pocket awareness/ holding the ball too long and INT's.
On plays the defense fail to properly cover the WR that Andy is predetermined to throw to Andy generally comes thru. Plays that Andy has to use his judgement is when it's "LUCK be a LADY!"
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting OSUfan, you do have humor.
I doubt anybody expected Dalton to be the best QB in NFL in only his 2nd year or if ever. That said, with one of the best defenses in the league he's good enough to expect a winning season.
Here's the big ugly. The fact that so few HERE speak with CONCERN of Daltons OBVIOUS limited/poor skills such as bad accuracy, eyeballing the WR he's predetermined to throw to, pocket awareness/ holding the ball too long and INT's.
On plays the defense fail to properly cover the WR that Andy is predetermined to throw to Andy generally comes thru. Plays that Andy has to use his judgement is when it's "LUCK be a LADY!"
Yep he should have all of these veteran qualities honed in his second season. I mean especially being a really high draft pick. Oh wait he was taken in the second round wasn't he. So how are all those guys taken in the first round above him doing in these areas?

The accuracy of Dalton has swayed with the lack of protection he has been receiving. Other than that nope I am not concerned in the least with young Mr. Dalton.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep he should have all of these veteran qualities honed in his second season. I mean especially being a really high draft pick. Oh wait he was taken in the second round wasn't he. So how are all those guys taken in the first round above him doing in these areas?
The accuracy of Dalton has swayed with the lack of protection he has been receiving. Other than that nope I am not concerned in the least with young Mr. Dalton.
Point well taken OSUfan. Not to be offensive, but if I were a layperson in QB evaluation I probably wouldn't be concern about Dalton.
Expectations based on where a player is drafted is reasonable, accepting poor play based on where a player is drafted is not. JMHO. You keep saying all he needs is time. Problem is he's not getting better even though the players around him have.
Our OL is not to blame. First it was our defense to blame, then our WR's, then the running game. Now according to you it's the OL? No, there not the best OL but they are not the worst.
Wait, this just in: NFL sports Analyst are now saying we have one of the best WR trio's one of the top defenses and a top notch RB in the NFL? Ah ghee, there goes 3 popular excuses.
Because we don't have the VERY BEST at everything, there is room for improvement and that includes our QB. His ability or inability to perform is not and should not be based on when and only when he has the "VERY BEST" players supporting him. He has to adapt and overcome with the players we have.
OSUfan you can wrestle with this if you want to, but IMHO you'll be WRESTLiNG with the truth.
If he's elite like most here say, excuses should never be offered.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18390

Quote:
Point well taken OSUfan. Not to be offensive, but if I were a layperson in QB evaluation I probably wouldn't be concern about Dalton.
Expectations based on where a player is drafted is reasonable, accepting poor play based on where a player is drafted is not. JMHO. You keep saying all he needs is time. Problem is he's not getting better even though the players around him have.
Our OL is not to blame. First it was our defense to blame, then our WR's, then the running game. Now according to you it's the OL? No, there not the best OL but they are not the worst.
Wait, this just in: NFL sports Analyst are now saying we have one of the best WR trio's one of the top defenses and a top notch RB in the NFL? Ah ghee, there goes 3 popular excuses.
Because we don't have the VERY BEST at everything, there is room for improvement and that includes our QB. His ability or inability to perform is not and should not be based on when and only when he has the "VERY BEST" players supporting him. He has to adapt and overcome with the players we have.
OSUfan you can wrestle with this if you want to, but IMHO you'll be WRESTLiNG with the truth.
Hammer I highly doubt most here say Andy is "elite" but I get and agree with a lot of what you say.

But here's a question for ya. Does Andy really have to be "elite" ? ?

The term is thrown around quite a bit, and who is and who isn't is a matter of someone's opinion. Few are truly "elite" in most peoples eyes. After you get past Brady, Rodgers, and P. Manning the water gets pretty murky ! Is M. Schaub elite ? what about C. Kapernick ? RG III ? How about D. Brees ?

Would very good to great do ? In other words I really don't care what he's labeled as long as he takes us to the title.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess what you do not seem to understand is that I am not wrestling with anything. I am not at all concerned with the progression of Dalton. I tend to believe as Lewis does that Andy is fine and the others around him need to elevate their game.

I guess you would believe that Marino not having a Superbowl ring is because he needed to play better? Is this how your theory works?

A couple of questions since you brought some things up.

1) From you statements I am lead to believe that you did not feel there were protection issues over the last two games. Is that accurate from your statements?

2) Do you really feel that Benny (who I like very much) is a "top notch" RB?