Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1558
Default Re: Center Rotation

I don't really like the center rotation either, but on another slant, didn't we see Cook taking a few snaps at guard with Robinson at center?

I'm just wondering if they're thinking in that direction, in an effort to get their five best lineman in the game here in our final drive.

I don't know if I exactly endorse that either, since we were playing some pretty good offensive line with the guys we had for most of the season.

Anyway, the biggest problem we have heading into this two-game stretch drive is the offense in general, and it centers around struggling pass protection and Andy seeing the field effectively.

The obvious answer is to run the ball well these last two games and slow down the rush, which will really help our passing game. Just get the linemen on the field who can best do that for us.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51280

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Because Marvin likes to play the Bigger contract instead of the better talent.
No he doesn't. If that was true then Tate would be starting over Jones, Sims would be starting over Atkins, Skuta would be starting over Burfict, and Jason Allen would be starting over most of our DBs.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7805

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Okay, let em male it simple for you. The proof you offer that paul Alexander is a bad coach is the fact that we have not won with him working under Mike Brown. So I mpoint out that a Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator also failed to win anything or put together a good defense under Mike Brown.

Is it really that hard for you to understand simple logical arguments?
So you're admitting Mike Brown = a complete and total failure and is worst owner in the history of any professional sport.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13767

Maybe they are trying to showcase Cook so we can trade him to Jacksonville and reunite him with Brat this offseason and role with Robinson from here on out.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
You mean Mikey instead of Marvin.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3515

Quote:
I call B.S. gruden ****ing messing with your OL and rotation the most key piece the Center had everything thing to do with the OL collapse the last few games.

We didnt have any collapse like that with just robinson playing.
Well, Boling was confirmed to have been ill with the stomach flu the two days leading up to the Thursday night match-up. And Whit and Andre have a similar weakness, which is smaller, quicker DEs. Call it the perfect storm. And I don't understand how the oline collapsed in the Dallas game. BJGE was averaging 7 ypc. Dalton hit 6 guys on both hands that were blatantly dropped. That had nothing to do with the oline.

PFF graded Cook very well last week. I think it said good in pass pro and 5 ypc behind him. Cook had not played all year, and now he has had a couple games to get back in to game shape before facing a 3-4 nose tackle in successive weeks.

The Philly game was ugly, but it was still a 21 point win, on the road, on a short week.

I expect Cook will start and try to go the entire game with maybe a series or two break during the pitt game. And I think the team will be able to run and pass pro just fine. This is arguably the healthiest the line has been all year. Couldn't come at a better time.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
So you're admitting Mike Brown = a complete and total failure and is worst owner in the history of any professional sport.
I don't know about the entire history of professional sports, but I have always blamed most of our problems on Mike Brown.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
You mean Mikey instead of Marvin.
Well I guess Mike doesn't have much to say about who plays.

Quote:
If that was true then Tate would be starting over Jones, Sims would be starting over Atkins, Skuta would be starting over Burfict, and Jason Allen would be starting over most of our DBs.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3515

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Lol.
Love it.
Yes Kyle Cook rotating in is why Andre got beaten like a rented mule on Thursday.
Not because Graham represents the smaller speed rusher he historically has struggled with. But because the center rotated.
The rotation is why Boling got trucked by a rookie.
The rotation is why Zeitler got fooled hard on a swim move.

Keep it up. This **** is comedic gold
Thank you! And when talking about chemistry and a line, just how many starts did Robinson have with these guys against quality opponents? And Faine? And Cook? There are lots of teams that have had to fill multiple holes on the offensive line and we are lucky enough to have two centers that could start a game. We also have great depth with Collins for Tackle.

A bunch of guys, including Boling missed practices leading up to the philly game with the stomach flu, and to your point about Andre (and Whit) the tackles struggle with smaller speed guys.

The rotation at Center has zero to do with their struggles against Philly. They will be much better against pitt, and they will need to be.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I don't know about the entire history of professional sports, but I have always blamed most of our problems on Mike Brown.
Who's worse?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

This is another example of people in the FO, or Lewis making choices that hurt football wise.

Screw Cook. Robinson has shown more as a rookie than Cook has his entire career.

Put the better talent in, that works better with the O line and don't mess with it.

No one, but an idiot screws with the O line up every few plays.

Chemistry is the most important thing for an O line, and this IMBECILIC approach is hurting the offense.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 604

Quote:
Cook was not the problem with our O-line Thursday night.

And we never cut the "wrong" WR in the preseason.
We cut two WR that could of helped us well think we just let one walk.We got Tate with 9 catches and Whalen with 6 catches with 2 games left in the season and no #2 WR.We carried 7 WR this year and we still do not have a #2 WR something we did not have at the start of the year.So the 7 WR we kept was the right ones?A.J. is our only decent WR the rest have upside some do not even have upside.

Last edited by BengalsBong; 12-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1870

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBengalsFan View Post
Here's my opinion on this whole center rotation bs. I think it is absolutely idiotic. I feel that it messes up the Oline chemistry and messes up timing in general. I think the job should go to Robinson, because the O-line has played a heck of a lot better when he's in there. Yes, he has his bad moments, but I'd feel more confident with him than cook in there. Heck if you have to split snaps with an UDFA C then you arent very good anyways. Just my opinion.
Mikey's rule is the player making the money plays.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 604

Quote:
Cook was not the problem with our O-line Thursday night.

And we never cut the "wrong" WR in the preseason.
We played decent with Robinson in at center Cook got pushed back into Daltons lap.Cook is 29 he just signed a 5 year contract that is the only reason he is playing.Robinson is the better center by far Gruden said himself that Robinson is more athletic and can get to the second level meaning Cook can not.Robinson is 22 years old do you want Robinson 22 Zeitler 22 and Boling 23 to be the future of your team or do you want to throw a 30 year old guy in there.Let the young guys live and learn together get the growing pains out of the way this year which I think we was over that stuff untill you shoved Cook back into the line up.Yes Cook has played against Pitt in the last 6 games but he also lost to them and he is not the future here at center if he is we will be in bad shape for years to come.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24226

Quote:
Provide examples with proof.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Mikey's rule is the player making the money plays.

Is that policy? If so, I'd like to see where its written.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

My solution:

Draft day: Trade back to late in round 1 and draft OC Barrett Jones/Alabama. Robinson will be his backup. We get an extra pick and pick up LB/S/CB with the next 3 picks. Dalton gets better protection, we score more points and win more games....everyone's happy!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Is that policy? If so, I'd like to see where its written.
Hint it wont ever show up. Nor will any real proof.
People tend to forget the better players are more often than not higher paid.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26525
bengals Re: Center Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkyDiesel View Post
Looks like the rotating center situation will continue into the Steelers game. Can't say that I agree with it as I think a O-Line relies on cohesivenss and building chemistry but it is what it is. There will also be an interesting decesion to make with Kickers as Nugent should be back as well..

Taken off the Bengals.com main page.

After splitting the snaps last Sunday between rookie center Trevor Robinson and Kyle Cook, Robinson had two more Thursday, 42-40. Gruden says he has no problems with the rotation the last two games and says it's not a reason for the breakdown of pass protection and the 11 sacks that have been allowed in the last eight quarters. "It's like wide receiver," said Gruden, who says both guys have strengths. "We don't have a standout guy that deserves to play every snap. If you have two guys that are pretty good you might as well use them both.
"That's kind of the case at center. Trevor's done a great job, he's improved tremendously, he's a hell of a center and going to be one for a long time in the NFL. Cookie has done some great things here as well. It's not like he doesn't deserve to play. They both I think are capable centers and do great things."
It sounds like Gruden would like to use a little of both in Pittsburgh at hostile Heinz Field and defensive coordinator **** Lebeau's smart and multiple defense that Cook has played against six times.
"Flip side of that Trevor is maybe a little bit more athletic right now. He gets up on guys at the second level," Gruden said. "But there will be a guy right over his nose and Cookie has seen that and done that, especially in some of their odd blitz fronts where he's done all the pointing and communicating and that's important, too. I like them both, to be honest with you; it's not an issue whatsoever. Communication is the same, Andy has no problem getting the snaps. If we were fumbling snaps or something it would be something different. But it's not even an issue, it's not even a story. They both are good players."

Robinson has played very well this season and Cook has not played very well.

I would start Robinson and i would not be messing with the Center position at this point in the season.

I like the Grude but i don't get this at all.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Robinson has played very well this season and Cook has not played very well.

I would start Robinson and i would not be messing with the Center position at this point in the season.

I like the Grude but i don't get this at all.
Proof? Evidence?
There is none.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 225

Cook is bad he was the reason our oline was bad last season he never peals back to pick up a free rusher . Our line started to struggle when he came back it not a qawiki dinki that we just are having problems blocking ppl all the sudden COOK ***** the rookie may get beat sometimes . but he is still better then cook
Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born a Bengals fan View Post
Cook is bad he was the reason our oline was bad last season he never peals back to pick up a free rusher . Our line started to struggle when he came back it not a qawiki dinki that we just are having problems blocking ppl all the sudden COOK ***** the rookie may get beat sometimes . but he is still better then cook
Hmm. You sure about that? Pretty sure BJGE has been able to rip off long runs even with Cook in there.

Hmm. You sure it has nothing to do with our historical struggles with speed rushers? Hmm?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26525
bengals Re: Center Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Proof? Evidence?
There is none.

Play on the field maybe.

Cook was bad in preseason and once i saw Robinson play i knew he was for real.

And i have been a Cook supporter in the past but Robinson is younger and has more potential and is playing better right now.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Play on the field maybe.

Cook was bad in preseason and once i saw Robinson play i knew he was for real.

And i have been a Cook supporter in the past but Robinson is younger and has more potential and is playing better right now.
Except the play hasn't been bad. It just hasn't.
People are blaming Cook because Zeitler had a bad game vs Dallas and Andre got spanked by Graham.

It just wasn't his fault.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Marvin got asked about the center rotation in an interview on Friday, and he was pretty defensive about the whole thing. When asked, he said: "That's not the problem" in a pretty defensive manner, so I'd imagine he'd probably know a little more than us seeing as he watches the tape all week long.