Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1915
Default DBs in review

Seeing there was a huge roar about Newman (Toast was used many times) and other additions this year, what's the consensus now?

Not going forward, as I think we all know changes will need to be made as the time is clicking for the older guys.

In my opinion, things have come together better than I would have guessed. This when injuries have been hindering Dre. Newman has been serviceable and A. Jones has been very good this year. I actually have faith in these guys more than I would have imagined this late in the year.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1954
Default Re: DBs in review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldamapads View Post
Seeing there was a huge roar about Newman (Toast was used many times) and other additions this year, what's the consensus now?

Not going forward, as I think we all know changes will need to be made as the time is clicking for the older guys.

In my opinion, things have come together better than I would have guessed. This when injuries have been hindering Dre. Newman has been serviceable and A. Jones has been very good this year. I actually have faith in these guys more than I would have imagined this late in the year.
I can agree they have done better than expected.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 370

yeah i think they have done a good job hall and newman has been solid and pacman has been a big surprise nelson is solid aswell...im still not and wont be a fan of crocker tho but other than him i think the DBs have been playing well...but a good pass rush will make any secondary look good imo our d line is the reason why our D has been so good
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3191

I was very critical of Newman early in the year but I think he has been playing exceptionally well lately. He and Adam Jones are doing a good job as is the defense as a whole. You go back and look at how many points the D (not including pick 6's) have given up and it's quite impressive.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Newman has really surprised everyone, even himself I think. Dallas fans were happy to see him leave, and Zimmer must have seen something he liked. He's been arguably our best corner all season, and I'd love to extend him.

Hall is getting better every game too. He's finally getting his movement back from the achilles injury.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Newman has really surprised everyone, even himself I think. Dallas fans were happy to see him leave, and Zimmer must have seen something he liked. He's been arguably our best corner all season, and I'd love to extend him.

Hall is getting better every game too. He's finally getting his movement back from the achilles injury.

Yeah, Leon showed his great athleticism is still intact, with that nice Int last week.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709
bengals Re: DBs in review

Quote:

where is our draft picks and the guys they picked up free agency. jason allen, where is the guy??? they bring guys in and you never hear from them. are they in a jail under the stadium?????
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

I was not a fan of Adam Jones when the season started. This guy in my opinion has played pretty good and i would not mind seeing him resigned.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3459

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengaljunky86 View Post
yeah i think they have done a good job hall and newman has been solid and pacman has been a big surprise nelson is solid aswell...im still not and wont be a fan of crocker tho but other than him i think the DBs have been playing well...but a good pass rush will make any secondary look good imo our d line is the reason why our D has been so good
Crocker has been too good to warrant what you said about him.....

So whats your personal reaosn for not liking him?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41624

When the Newman hate was at it's height I never understood it. Dude has been a good player for us all year.

Leon has bounced back from the ankle with no problems

Adam has remained healthy and been a huge asset both in coverage and PR

Reggie has been the heart of the D at times and arguably it's 2nd-3rd best player

Clements has provided much needed versitility

Mays has gotten better as the year has progressed and has helped on STs

Miles has been helpful on STs

Crocker has came in and been helpful

Jason Allen, Dre Kirkpatrick, and, George Iloka have been useless

Robet Sands, Brandon Ghee, Shaun Prater, and Tony Dye all provide options for next year.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
When the Newman hate was at it's height I never understood it. Dude has been a good player for us all year.

Reggie has been the heart of the D at times and arguably it's 2nd-3rd best player

Robet Sands, Brandon Ghee, Shaun Prater, and Tony Dye all provide options for next year.
while i agree, i think the connotation of useless may not be warranted for kirkpatrick and iloka. i mean dre has been injured and they're both rookies... plus why rush him back when our top 3-4 corners have played pretty well this season... we could use dre, but we dont NEED him at the moment..but only an opinion
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857

Quote:

In this league corners are only as good as the defensive front four....Namni Ashmougua and Revis used to be never thrown on. But if a QB has time they will throw at them...IMO after QB, Corner back is the hardest position in football. I don't think we have a guys who will man you up and shut you down. i don't trust alot of our guys to match up with a Mike Wallace and run step for step. I do think we have some good coverage guys. They know the game and they know the reads. Leon won't win any speed contests but he is consistent. Adam Jones has had a reall really good year. Newman has been better than expected. Dre' will be fine he just needs to add some muscle. Our guys don't get alot of picks but that is because they play smart safe football. You don't see them jumping routes because thats not their thing. Overall they are a good solid group and the more pressure our front four gets the more chances they will have.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:

Zimmer knows DB's it didnt really work with Roy williams cause he had a glass arm but he definately helped Newman get back into form.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 365

Quote:

Agree but possibly understated. Nelson, Jones, and Newman have all had really good years. Didn't I hear where all 3 were in the top 20 of DBs year to date as rated by PFF. Sounds like borderline Pro Bowl.
Hall was pegged as being in a recovery year but is really starting to come on ..... probably even better than JJo this year.

Kirkpatrick can't be rated. Hopefully as a #1 Draft Choice he makes a few plays before the season is out. If he doesn't play soon - just 2 games left - we probably should IR him and add a WR. Gosh, we all know we need help/talent there. Braylon Edwards last night looked like a missed opportunity. ??

Clemens has been fine as a backup safety/corner.

Miles and Mays have made limited contributions and likely will not be resigned. I put Sands and Iloka in the same category as Whalen .... haven't dressed much in their careers and probably don't have much to offer. Cheap but not anymore than bodies.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 550

Way better than expected. I would say that the performance is better than par because of Mike Zimmer...PERIOD. Newman said this about Zim a few weeks ago....

"He told me I was horse bleep in Dallas," Newman says. " 'You couldn't do this. You couldn't do that.' Those were the words right out of his mouth. But the fact he wanted me here, I said I'm going to try everything I can because it's obvious he stuck his neck out for me and I didn't want that to be a negative for him."

Zim to Adam Jones-
"I was horrible in Dallas and the coaching was horrible, too; from the top down," Jones said. "Zim is a demanding guy. He's a technique guy and with me being a raw athlete, that's the type of guy I need around me. The Zimmers, the Marvin Lewises, the guys that keep you grounded, that keep you in shape. Some guys get comfortable and let your technique lapse. These guys stay on you."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/12/6...team-on-sunday

Zim is the man. Take no crap.

Last edited by FootballBender; 12-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 752

Quote:

good post, at the beginning of the year i thought we might have to go early on corner again in the draft, however due to the current play and the possibilities of Ghee and Dre K we have options
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

Quote:
During the first five or so games this year, Newman was horendous in pass coverage. For example, when they throw to Hall's side, the WR may or may not make the catch, but Leon is within a yard or two of the play. At the beginning of the year, Newman was about 3-5 yards away every time it seemed. It was around the bye week time that something started clicking and ever since Newman has been great. I am guessing that it was just a transitioning period.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52936

My biggest concern was losing Kevin Coyle. I believe he has been the best position coach we have had here for a while. I was afraid it would really set our DBs back, but Carrier seems to have done a great job.

I was also in favor of cutting Adam Jones, and felt that Jason allen would be our second best CB by this point of the year.

I knew Nelso was good, but he has played exceptionally well in some games. As bfine said he has at times been the second or third best defensive player on the field for us.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Crocker has been too good to warrant what you said about him.....

So whats your personal reaosn for not liking him?
I think it goes back to last year and how awful he played not just throughout the year but he was down right terrible in the playoff game...I think he has been serviceable this year but I think he is the weakest link when it comes to our dbs...he misses tackles and takes bad angles on certain plays I'd like to see an upgrade after this year...because I think we both can agree a 30 something year old safety is not the future
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Ok, I'll admit I was not a fan of the Newman signing. He has played better for us than I thought he would. Wish he would hold on to the damn ball a little better though. I also thought Jason Allen would play better for us than he has. Overall I think the secondary has played better as a unit than I thought they would at the beginning of the year. My concerns were centered around unproven rookies and veterans coming back from injury.

Question for you all. This looks to be a deep draft class at the safety position. Do you guys feel that position should still be addressed in the draft? I think so. I would like to see an aggressive, playmaking ballhawk back there.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengaljunky86 View Post
I've said before the season that Adam Jones would be solid, and he has been. I knew Leon would be okay, but the biggest surprise here is Terrance Newman. He has been nothing but solid since he got here. He's not a game changer or anything, but he is a wily veteran that can still get it done. Crocker has been a big surprise to me as well. He is playing much better than last season, and if it's possible, he seems a little faster than last season as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1637

I feel really good about Hall, Newman, Jones and Nelson, and I'm not that down on anybody.

My big disappointment is Allen. I was so happy when we signed him. Thought he had played very well against us in the playoffs last year, and thought he would be a regular part of our defense.

I don't really know what happened there. Maybe injuries just knocked him off track early, and he just couldn't get it going. He also had these guys in front of him playing well. I would not give up on him yet. Next year could be a different story.

Kirkpatrick, too, has had a tough year injury-wise, and could still be a good player for us, in my opinion.

Overall, I think we've got to be happy with these guys as a group.

There is no question that Pacman should be re-signed.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben zoo 2 View Post
This looks to be a deep draft class at the safety position. Do you guys feel that position should still be addressed in the draft?
I think about 100% of the members here would agree with you on this.

God bless Crocker for the job he has done for us, but he was out of work for a reason.