Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18733
Default Alex Okafor

Just watched some of the tape on this guy. I know we have other needs (LB especially, and I'm a CJ Mosely guy), but if Okafor is there for us in Round 1, how do we not take him? Our pass rush would be amazing!!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3453
Default Re: Alex Okafor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Just watched some of the tape on this guy. I know we have other needs (LB especially, and I'm a CJ Mosely guy), but if Okafor is there for us in Round 1, how do we not take him? Our pass rush would be amazing!!
There are a lot of guys that can get after the QB.... the good news is that you will have a top guy available in the 2nd round. No need to grab Okafor in round 1 when he or another pass rushing DE will be there at the beginning of 2.

I like the possibility of Mosely in the 1st, Okafor in the 2nd, Thomas or Hodges with our 3rd round pick.

Use the 2nd round two pick on a RB or Safety. Though I am not as high on this years Safety class.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
There are a lot of guys that can get after the QB.... the good news is that you will have a top guy available in the 2nd round. No need to grab Okafor in round 1 when he or another pass rushing DE will be there at the beginning of 2.

I like the possibility of Mosely in the 1st, Okafor in the 2nd, Thomas or Hodges with our 3rd round pick.

Use the 2nd round two pick on a RB or Safety. Though I am not as high on this years Safety class.
That's the second time I've read this in as many days and I can't figure it out. This is not the most talented at the front of the pack, but maybe the deepest safety class in recent years. Vaccaro, maybe Reid, could go in the 1st, and there are plenty of others that are great second/third round candidates.

I'm also wrestling with the question of whom to take in the first, too. #1 need is LB, but we need a DE possibly, too. No RB or Safety in 1 for us I hope.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
That's the second time I've read this in as many days and I can't figure it out. This is not the most talented at the front of the pack, but maybe the deepest safety class in recent years. Vaccaro, maybe Reid, could go in the 1st, and there are plenty of others that are great second/third round candidates.

I'm also wrestling with the question of whom to take in the first, too. #1 need is LB, but we need a DE possibly, too. No RB or Safety in 1 for us I hope.
I think the Bengals should do what they have to in order to draft Manti Te'o. Then draft a Safety in the 2nd or 3rd depending on who's available. I really like the SS from Georgia...he's a baller

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

Quote:

DE could be upgraded but it's not a need like LB...A Sam Linebacker. Plus I don't believe the DE class this year is that good.

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2447

Quote:
Yea, especially since he's been getting such good production without Jeffcoat putting pressure on the other side. He should definitely be considered with our first-round pick. If MJ does leave, our biggest need becomes DE IMO, and Okafor would be a very sound selection with our first pick.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

I agree 100%. Theres a good chance he falls to the 2nd round though (at least with most of the mocks I have seen) and with the Raiders continuing to fall (3rd pick) theres a very good chance we could nab him in the second

1- Mosley or Ogletree
2- Okafor or Ansah
2- RB (Bernard or Lacy)
3- Rambo

That top 4 alone would make us a MUCH better team
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Safety is a hit or miss type of position. Sure in College they all look like Reed and Polamalu. However once they hit the NFL then they look average. It is also important to look at the actual Safety position, SS or FS. What type of Safety do we need? Some on here think we need a SS, which the vast majority coming out look to be OK, while I feel that we need a FS (I like Nelson but think of him more of a SS playing FS). Not seeing a lot of true FS in this class. So I am not impressed with this Safety class.

Now WATS, I don't see an issue with drafting a Safety in the late 2nd or 3rd rounds, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

If I was strictly going Defense this year then I would draft:

1. Mosely
2a. Okafor or Werner or Ansah (I have a feeling 1 of these 3 will be there with Oakland's pick)
2b. Elam or Lester (which I feel would be a reach for Lester)
3. Hodges

Now on to the curious case of Eric Reid.... The guy is only OK in coverage and benefited having Matheiu and Claibourne next to him. He has taken some bad angles and sounds a lot like Taylor Mays (I like Mays, but a lot of fans don't like him, so if you don't like Mays then Reid isn't for you), since we have Mays already there is no need to draft Reid.

Last edited by Cincy's Best; 12-19-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8837

devin taylor is dropping like a lead ballon
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Safety is a hit or miss type of position. Sure in College they all look like Reed and Polamalu. However once they hit the NFL then they look average. It is also important to look at the actual Safety position, SS or FS. What type of Safety do we need? Some on here think we need a SS, which the vast majority coming out look to be OK, while I feel that we need a FS (I like Nelson but think of him more of a SS playing FS). Not seeing a lot of true FS in this class. So I am not impressed with this Safety class.

Now WATS, I don't see an issue with drafting a Safety in the late 2nd or 3rd rounds, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

If I was strictly going Defense this year then I would draft:

1. Mosely
2a. Okafor or Werner or Ansah (I have a feeling 1 of these 3 will be there with Oakland's pick)
2b. Elam or Lester (which I feel would be a reach for Lester)
3. Hodges

Now on to the curious case of Eric Reid.... The guy is only OK in coverage and benefited having Matheiu and Claibourne next to him. He has taken some bad angles and sounds a lot like Taylor Mays (I like Mays, but a lot of fans don't like him, so if you don't like Mays then Reid isn't for you), since we have Mays already there is no need to draft Reid.
Agreed, especially on Reid. He's a great guy. Tremendous character, but doesn't impress me as much as some of the other safeties in this class. Both guys from UGa (Williams and Rambo) and Tony Jefferson are at the top of my list.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

If we can get Okafor in the 2nd Round then YES! I'm surprised he's not a lock to go in the first though.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
If we can get Okafor in the 2nd Round then YES! I'm surprised he's not a lock to go in the first though.
Considering needs of teams and having guys like Montgomery, Mingo, Moore and Jones then it isn't that hard to see him falling, unless you think he is better than those 4. I think he is better than Montgomery and Mingo but that is probably just me.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12539

Quote:

^^^^ agreed

This is a very deep 2nd and 3rd round safety class.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12539

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bengal View Post
DE could be upgraded but it's not a need like LB...A Sam Linebacker. Plus I don't believe the DE class this year is that good.
DT and DE are probably the two strongest positions this year.

It is a bad year in the 1st for QB and RB.