Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73266
Default Re: Help Needed With Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
No, I just deplore the use of poison's in almost any fashion. If you wanna eat them, hunt them,trap them, it's all good.I understand the fire hazard aspect but the use of poisons angers me. Again it struck a nerve and I apologize for snapping so quickly. I have no beef with X's and O's and again my apologies. Use the sonic product.It will do specifically what you want it to without the possibility of killing the dog or cat and leaving these creatures to die a horrible, painful death.
No prob, bro. You know I'm okay with ya.

Quote:
Sorry bro,I was already aggravated with an issue of my own and recently lost a beloved pet via this vary same issue.It just hit me wrong and I lashed out at you. My apologies one more time.
I lost a dog to a poison yard trap a couple of years ago. Had just moved in and didn't know it was there. I'm not big on poison either. I don't allow herbicides or pesticides on my lawn. Except, I do buy some spider killing spray to kill the black widows once or twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Well Fred used a Stick and I used a shovel to kill some mammals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben zoo 2 View Post
Wrong thread mike. See Fred's colonoscopy
LMAO at this exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
Plant some trees.

15-20 years from now, the squirrels will move from their temporary habitat (your house) to their natural habitat (a tree).

Other than that... you'll never get rid of them. Poison works best. Get used to the smell of dead animals. Exterminators are almost useless. Sealing the house is good, but squirrels are like rats... you won't keep them out as long as they're looking for a home.
Amen, bro!

squirrels are like rats... but fast as heck rats with bushy tails
raccoons are like rats... but bigger and meaner than heck
possoms are like rats... but ugly as heck, and a little creepy too

That reminds me of my squirrel story. When I was at Fort Knox, me and my buddy "Big Bob" had a habit of going over to the PX, getting some some of those chocolate pinwheels, and sitting on the barracks steps and eatting them during the off-time. It came to pass that there was this squirrel that lived in the tree there and everyday, he would approach us closer and closer. So one day, I took one of the pinwheels and tossed it over to him. The little dude picked it up like a cheesewheel, stood up on his hind legs, and began spinning this chocolate pinwheel like a lathe and faster than **** and eating it as it turned. The pinwheel got smaller and smaller until it just disappeared. It was entertaining as all get out!!! This became a daily ritual. We'd call other guys out from the barracks to watch. Funnier than heck!

Anyway, that only went on for about a week. Eventually the squirrel got sick and died from eating all that chocolate.

Perhaps that might be one way for the OP to kill the squirrels and entertain the family at the same time!

True story, that.

Last edited by Bengalzona; 12-19-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6471

He could get an assault rifle. Just saying.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73156

Try hitting them
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038

Quote:
My apologies, but plz use the sonic repellent. You will be satisfied and the money is well spent. The methods you're trying will continue to cost you money and it will not work. Best of luck and plz quit using poison.
Quote:
No, I just deplore the use of poison's in almost any fashion. If you wanna eat them, hunt them,trap them, it's all good.I understand the fire hazard aspect but the use of poisons angers me. Again it struck a nerve and I apologize for snapping so quickly. I have no beef with X's and O's and again my apologies. Use the sonic product.It will do specifically what you want it to without the possibility of killing the dog or cat and leaving these creatures to die a horrible, painful death.
Quote:
Sorry bro,I was already aggravated with an issue of my own and recently lost a beloved pet via this vary same issue.It just hit me wrong and I lashed out at you. My apologies one more time.
You sorry bro?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 874

Quote:
What you are doing is ignorant and deplorable! NEVER EVER USE POISON on any mammal. You don't deserve the proper advice but I will give it to you before you end up killing a family pet or one of your neighbors family pets or heaven forbid a young child.
There are products on the market that put out sonic pulses and will keep any squirrel,rat,snake. or just about anything else a half of a mile from your precious property.
Your means of dealing with the issue is obviously uneducated,cruel,and fruitless.
Dispicable!!
You can keep on trying your archaic methods and it will be to no avail.
Go buy yourself a Sonic Squirrel Repellent for only 20 dollars...DB
Then have your wiring inspected afterwards.Problem solved.
Should have had the place inspected properly before you purchased it.As the people already told you those animals were there from the get go.
(Shortened version: Cupcake (Ron Mexico) is correct.)

Wow. If you didn't go on to apologize I would respond in the same tone, because I probably have much more experience in this topic than you do.

First I'll point out where you were right even though your reasoning was opinion. He should not use poison for squirrels because in all states I am familiar with it is illegal. Any time a person wants to use poisons for anything at all, they have to read the label because in most states the label is the law, and those where it isn't their laws are even more strict. Rats and mice are what most mammal poisons are made for. Those are called commensal rodents. Squirrels will usually eat anything rats and mice will and if you put out poison in for rats and mice but a squirrel gets into it, most states say that is no big deal. The key is what animal were you targeting. Always follow the label and have never heard of a poison label that includes usage on squirrels.

Moving on to the bigger issue. I have done extensive pest control work. I have seen absolutely no CREDIBLE sources that claim these electronic devices work as advertised. One group that did a study on these devices found 95% (I think that's the number but I'm not going to look it up in my stack of paperwork I still have) of their numerous tests still had rodent problems. Of those that didn't, in only one instance were they not able to find any other other reason the rodents (in that particular instance it was roof rats) stopped entering an area. This is the best case study to support your argument that those things work, since it indicated it was possible that 5% of cases it may have helped and in 1 instance may have actually done the job. Most studies determine those things don't work at all.

In my own experience, I have done quite a few rodent calls where those devices were on and working but the customer still had rodent issues. One of those I determined after and inspection it was squirrels and since I didn't have a wildlife liscense, I referred them to a reliable company. That company did as they should, went on a warm day when the squirrels were not in the attic, then did the exclusion work Cupcake described, and a few he didn't. Then they put out live traps for any that may have still been inside. None were caught but if they had caught any, they would have released them in the same neighborhood. Studies have shown trapped animals taken 5 or more miles away from where they were caught have between 70% and 90% fatality rates depending on particular circumstances of where they were released.

I don't doubt you have a dog that died from the misuse of rodenticide, and I'm sorry to hear that. Again, if the person putting the stuff out followed the label, that should not have happened. Most of those poisons come in tamper proof containers that will allow rodents in but not an animal as large as a dog and if placed properly, children shouldn't have access to them either. I get a little annoyed when I hear of unlicensed people misusing poisons but get really annoyed when I hear of a licensed individual misusing the stuff. The overwhelming majority of fatalities you will hear of are unlicensed people not following the label.

As to the OP, do a search to find additional ways to do what the industry would call squirrel exclusion on a structure. Most often the entry point is right where cupcake described but most rodents have bone structure that allows their bodies to "collapse" to fit in a tight space. If they can get their head in, the body will get through too.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8185

Other than plugging the holes, I suggest getting a cat (toyger) and let it roam/reside in the attic. The smell of a predator should deter any more invasions.

1. No poison is involved
2. You get a cuddly and awesome companion

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs&Os View Post
I rarely start a thread, but I am in need of some advice. We bought a home recently, which backs up to a golf course. Therefore; there were many trees surrounding the house, to provide protection from balls.

After removing several trees, we began hearing noises from the attic, and crawl space. Suffice it to say, we have squirrel issues.

Hired a local company, who trapped a couple of them. But they were inept, and would not guarantee that they could get rid of them all. According to them, these squirrels have been in the house for some time.

So, I bought a couple of traps, poison peanuts and a pellet gun. The result is one squirrel trapped, several shot and a couple killed (by my sons and several neighboorhood kids).

But I continue to have squirrels in the attic and crawl space. I want to replace the roof and have the stucco exterior redone, but can't do it until I get rid of them.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.
If you didnt cut down their homes they wouldnt have moved to your attic.... Get them a New big tree to live in. Or by a Squrriel Hotel (like a bird house)

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
If you didnt cut down their homes they wouldnt have moved to your attic.... Get them a New big tree to live in. Or by a Squrriel Hotel (like a bird house)
At it again this early. Isn't even noon yet.

October 24, 1937

Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
At it again this early. Isn't even noon yet.
This thread made tiger squirrel Restless...

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Squirrels can't be stopped. There are probably 10X more of them, and they are stubborn and clever. Best bet is to make peace with them, and ask them, NICELY, to stay out of your house.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Thank goodness their not Zombie Squirrels.

Quote:
This thread made tiger squirrel Restless...
Well I can certainly understand that. I mean we're talking here about the capture and poisoning of the poor innocent lil critters who never so much as harmed a hair on anyone's head. And, they were their first. So they have a certain claim under squatters rights law. RumbleCat may be right. The only way out of this is to offer them some peanuts in a wooden feeder in the back yard, that should get them outside. Once out there, he could sneak up to where they are getting in and patch it shut. Kind of like signing a treaty with the Cherokee's and then packing them off in box cars for the Arizona desert.

October 24, 1937

Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-19-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post

That reminds me of my squirrel story. When I was at Fort Knox, me and my buddy "Big Bob" had a habit of going over to the PX, getting some some of those chocolate pinwheels, and sitting on the barracks steps and eatting them during the off-time. It came to pass that there was this squirrel that lived in the tree there and everyday, he would approach us closer and closer. So one day, I took one of the pinwheels and tossed it over to him. The little dude picked it up like a cheesewheel, stood up on his hind legs, and began spinning this chocolate pinwheel like a lathe and faster than **** and eating it as it turned. The pinwheel got smaller and smaller until it just disappeared. It was entertaining as all get out!!! This became a daily ritual. We'd call other guys out from the barracks to watch. Funnier than heck!
I had a girlfriend who saw a little squirrel on the roof outside her apartment window and tossed out a peanut. It was so cute sitting there eating the peanut that she started doing this on a regular basis. The trouble started one day when she didn't have any peanuts. The squirrel started attacking her window and raising hell demanding his peanut. It tore her screen to pieces trying to get in.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank goodness their not Zombie Squirrels.

Well I can certainly understand that. I mean we're talking here about the capture and poisoning of the poor innocent lil critters who never so much as harmed a hair on anyone's head. And, they were their first. So they have a certain claim under squatters rights law. RumbleCat may be right. The only way out of this is to offer them some peanuts in a wooden feeder in the back yard, that should get them outside. Once out there, he could sneak up to where they are getting in and patch it shut. Kind of like signing a treaty with the Cherokee's and then packing them off in box cars for the Arizona desert.
i dont think i should have found this as funny as i did

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
i dont think i should have found this as funny as i did
I know, I often have that lonesome guilty feeling of knowing it's all just hopeless. But what can one man do?

October 24, 1937

Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10443

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

Thank you for your advice and input. A recap:
Zona suggests chocolate and something about military.
Uncle Si says Fred apparently has had a recent colonoscopy.
Benton has a brilliant 25 year plan.
Somebody suggested a Ritz Carlton hotel with trap doors and such.
All great ideas.....................certainly makes me feel like I can come back to this board for future advice on other topics.

Thanks to Ron Mexico and Pennsyltuckian and Intercept for their advice. Anyone I forgot, thank you as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Anytime XO, glad we could be of assistance!

Now if we can ever help with relationship issues; girlfriend, wife, sister-in-law, just provide a picture, you know to sort of break the ice, and I'm sure we can provide a substantial amount of insightful input.

October 24, 1937

Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-19-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

Quote:
Anytime XO, glad we could be of assistance!

Now if we can ever help with relationship issues; girlfriend, wife, sister-in-law, just provide a picture, you know to sort of break the ice, and I'm sure we can provide a substantial amount of insightful input.

Dear Sher Khan:
Thank you for offering your skilled services in that area. I have seen the professional counseling provided to other Board Members, in the past 7 years. They are thought provoking. Sort of like seeing a fender bender on a Sunday morning after Church, leading to a fist fight.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
You sorry bro?
Dude came to the boards asking for advice.I jumped on him about using poison. After my initial anger I calmed and realized that I owed him an apology. That's what I did. It was the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsyltuckian View Post
(Shortened version: Cupcake (Ron Mexico) is correct.)

Wow. If you didn't go on to apologize I would respond in the same tone, because I probably have much more experience in this topic than you do.

First I'll point out where you were right even though your reasoning was opinion. He should not use poison for squirrels because in all states I am familiar with it is illegal. Any time a person wants to use poisons for anything at all, they have to read the label because in most states the label is the law, and those where it isn't their laws are even more strict. Rats and mice are what most mammal poisons are made for. Those are called commensal rodents. Squirrels will usually eat anything rats and mice will and if you put out poison in for rats and mice but a squirrel gets into it, most states say that is no big deal. The key is what animal were you targeting. Always follow the label and have never heard of a poison label that includes usage on squirrels.

Moving on to the bigger issue. I have done extensive pest control work. I have seen absolutely no CREDIBLE sources that claim these electronic devices work as advertised. One group that did a study on these devices found 95% (I think that's the number but I'm not going to look it up in my stack of paperwork I still have) of their numerous tests still had rodent problems. Of those that didn't, in only one instance were they not able to find any other other reason the rodents (in that particular instance it was roof rats) stopped entering an area. This is the best case study to support your argument that those things work, since it indicated it was possible that 5% of cases it may have helped and in 1 instance may have actually done the job. Most studies determine those things don't work at all.

In my own experience, I have done quite a few rodent calls where those devices were on and working but the customer still had rodent issues. One of those I determined after and inspection it was squirrels and since I didn't have a wildlife liscense, I referred them to a reliable company. That company did as they should, went on a warm day when the squirrels were not in the attic, then did the exclusion work Cupcake described, and a few he didn't. Then they put out live traps for any that may have still been inside. None were caught but if they had caught any, they would have released them in the same neighborhood. Studies have shown trapped animals taken 5 or more miles away from where they were caught have between 70% and 90% fatality rates depending on particular circumstances of where they were released.

I don't doubt you have a dog that died from the misuse of rodenticide, and I'm sorry to hear that. Again, if the person putting the stuff out followed the label, that should not have happened. Most of those poisons come in tamper proof containers that will allow rodents in but not an animal as large as a dog and if placed properly, children shouldn't have access to them either. I get a little annoyed when I hear of unlicensed people misusing poisons but get really annoyed when I hear of a licensed individual misusing the stuff. The overwhelming majority of fatalities you will hear of are unlicensed people not following the label.

As to the OP, do a search to find additional ways to do what the industry would call squirrel exclusion on a structure. Most often the entry point is right where cupcake described but most rodents have bone structure that allows their bodies to "collapse" to fit in a tight space. If they can get their head in, the body will get through too.
The devices do work.I have seen it with my own two eyes.One of my best friends is a licensed nuisance trapper here in NW Florida and I have helped him on several jobs.(squirrels,ducks,gators,snakes,and racoons mostly). I also do work with The Emerald Coast Wildlife rescue, point being I'm not a novice when it comes to animals or pest control.
No credible source? This is where you are correct.I can only offer my personal experience. Are you calling me a liar?
Because your capitalization of the word credible can be construed that way.Perhaps, in your experience the sonic products being used are subpar or have a power issue. In my experience, with the owners of the Dollar Tree's sprawling squirrel paradise they work. Not a squirrel on their property inside of the sonic perimeter.Outside of the sonic box's, all along the bayou, squirrels everywhere.
Last point from me since I am apparently a liar with no knowledge on the subject. All anyone needs to do to kill squirrels is to supply them with a feeding depot of peanuts or peanut butter. No need for any type of poison. Peanuts are like crack cocaine to a squirrel and after eating them for a short while it will cause them to die of a heart attack. Much like the chocolate pinwheels that Zona mentioned in his story. If you're doubting my CREDIBILITY go look it up.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 12-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

For every Squirrel you Kill....

2 more will take its place... Ill even drop them off myself.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8825

you could move
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8825

who wants a house on a golf course anyway? bunch of strange fat guys walking around the backyard looking for their balls
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
who wants a house on a golf course anyway? bunch of strange fat guys walking around the backyard looking for their balls
Either People that love to Golf. and not mow their lawn.

Or People that like to pay to much for houses.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42163

I never look at squirrels the same after this summer. I watched those little red squirrels attack and eat robins and yellow flinch babies. If I didn't see with my own eyes I never would of believed it.

I didn't know squirrels were carnivorous, but they are. Evil. LOL

Last edited by TrinaAnn; 12-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46635

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
a strange fat guy walking around the backyard looking for his balls
Isn't that what your neighbors have to deal with?