Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212
Default Re: Are we in need of another guard?

[quote=Bengal4ever68;2729570]Clint Boling is not our guy imo. He got eaten alive against the eagles numerous times allow at least 3 sacks. Another Lineman i would like to mention is Andre Smith. He was getting beat like a drum when the DE ran around him. I wouldn't mind moving Andre to guard, & moving Collins to RT. Collins was getting playing time in Whitworths spot towards the end of the game & was playing pretty good...but imo we need another guard, we should maybe take one in the 2nd or 3rd round.[/QUO

It's good to know that I'm not the only one to like Gabe Jackson and Xavier Rhodes for the Bengals in next years draft. I'm assuming that you like Rhodes because he has the size to play Safety and skill to cover. The only thing is, he doesn't seem to be a strong tackler....I have'nt seen enough film on him to say really but I WILL be watching him in their Bowl Game. I def. like Jackson at LG however. Good player who probably won't require an early pick.

I think the Bengals defense has all it's pieces...they just need a SLB. Which is why I'd trade up for Manti Te'o if I had to.

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2882

A 4th round guard wouldn't help us much.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
im with you on this. Ive liked the way trevor has stepped in and boling has been playing well...with wharton coming back i like our depth on our line. If we cant resign wharton we sign one in free agency. were young and mean upfront with some solid guys to come in as depth. if we lose wharton, then go to fa to add depth.
We don't need to re-sign Wharton. He's still on the payroll for next year. His best quality was being a run-blocking OG. People seem to forget about him because he was lost before the start of the regular season. Also, if we needed another guard due to injury, Robinson can be that guard, and Cook stays in at center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6
I would like to find an upgrade to Roland and someone as a backup G. If we can get both in 1 guy, that would be perfect
When you mean upgrade to Roland, do you mean for backup OT or for the blocking TE? He is primarily being used as the extra blocking TE. I would personally rather draft a TE that excels at blocking, that way teams are not 100% sure that we are running. They may think 90% that we are, but having an actual TE in there instead of an extra OL will make them at least have to consider we may pass.

Depth for OT or OG can be found easily in FA. No need to use a late round draft pick on it.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18265

It was one bad game.

He's actually performed extremely well in most other games this year.

And keep in mind, everyone played like crap that night, not just Boling.

4-24-13
1. Cordarelle Patterson WR UT
2a. D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
2b. Le'veon Bell RB MSU
3. Jamie Collins OLB Southern Missippi
4. Reid Fragel OT Ohio State
5. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6. William Gholston DE MSU
6. Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH)
7. Nick Clancy MLB Boston College
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28168

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
A 4th round guard wouldn't help us much.
Yeah, 4th round picks are never any good.

Geno Atkins says Hi!

Carl Nicks was drafted in 5.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6274

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
We don't need to re-sign Wharton. He's still on the payroll for next year. His best quality was being a run-blocking OG. People seem to forget about him because he was lost before the start of the regular season. Also, if we needed another guard due to injury, Robinson can be that guard, and Cook stays in at center.

When you mean upgrade to Roland, do you mean for backup OT or for the blocking TE? He is primarily being used as the extra blocking TE. I would personally rather draft a TE that excels at blocking, that way teams are not 100% sure that we are running. They may think 90% that we are, but having an actual TE in there instead of an extra OL will make them at least have to consider we may pass.

Depth for OT or OG can be found easily in FA. No need to use a late round draft pick on it.
Depending on the Bengals long-term intentions with Anthony Collins, an RT2 could be picked up in either the 4th, 5th, or 6th round. If/when Collins leaves after the 2013 season, the Bengals will be straining again for depth at the Tackle position. I say that it is a good idea to draft a later round tackle to develop for at least a year as an insurance policy if Collins leaves after 2013.

A prototypical blocking TE, Michael Williams (Alabama, 6'5", 272 lbs) is being projected as a 5th or 6th rounder.

LT: Whit/Collins
LG: Boling/Wharton
C: Cook/Robinson
RG: Zeitler
RT: Smith/TBD

TE: Gresham/Charles/Williams