Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360
bengals Anthony Barr!!!!

He has 74 tackles 13.5 sacks 5 passes defended. Yes its his first year at the postition but that doesnt worry me 1 bit when u produce the way he did. Beucase its his first year he could fall to us with our early pick in the second (i could be wrong tho...does anyone have a reliable draft projection for this guy?). Y not hnadle our linebacking core with our first 2 picks in Mosley and Barr. both can get to the Qb and those 2 along side burfict. How do others feel about barr and where might he be projected? i want him!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4268
Default Re: Anthony Barr!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
He has 74 tackles 13.5 sacks 5 passes defended. Yes its his first year at the postition but that doesnt worry me 1 bit when u produce the way he did. Beucase its his first year he could fall to us with our early pick in the second (i could be wrong tho...does anyone have a reliable draft projection for this guy?). Y not hnadle our linebacking core with our first 2 picks in Mosley and Barr. both can get to the Qb and those 2 along side burfict. How do others feel about barr and where might he be projected? i want him!
You do realize in a 4-3 that the LBers don't "get after" the QB as much?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

bengals Re: Anthony Barr!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
You do realize in a 4-3 that the LBers don't "get after" the QB as much?
yea i do, played the game my whole life...but you do realize that to have the ability to get to the passer coupled with the ability to make the tackle sideline to sideline standing up is better to have then to not??? or are you not a bengals fan and dont want that here in cincy?
I am also assuming you dont have a draft projection for me, being that your initial comment left me smh.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
yea i do, played the game my whole life...but you do realize that to have the ability to get to the passer coupled with the ability to make the tackle sideline to sideline standing up is better to have then to not??? or are you not a bengals fan and dont want that here in cincy?
I am also assuming you dont have a draft projection for me, being that your initial comment left me smh.
What? How does you not realizing that a LBer in a 4-3 defense needs to have better coverage skills than ability to "get after a QB" translate to me not being a Bengals fan? As far as drafting goes..... take a look at some of my post, I am in favor of Barrett Jones then Alex Okafor then Joseph Randle.

Shore up the OLine then get a speed rushing DE and a solid RB.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Anthony Barr shows an upside at OLB
Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Anthony Barr shows an upside at OLB
Not saying he doesn't. All I am saying is, a 4-3 LBer doesn't "get after the QB" like a 3-4 LBers. So when scouting for a LBer for us you need to look at his coverage skills 1st.

Barr has good pass blocking skills, but is a converted fullback. Talent is there just needs to be unlocked. I am not a fan of "potential". So I would pass up on Barr and go with Greene or Hodges.

Now if you are looking for that tweener, the guy that can give us different looks (4-3 and 3-4) in the same game then I like Chase Thomas. Though Barr wouldn't be terrible to have.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3738

Barr played about 95% or more of his snaps at the line of scrimmage, and dropped into coverage about that same amount. Thomas played all over the place, but rushed or set the edge a little over half the time, maybe 2/3.

If he declares, he's going to have to show he can do what a normal 4-3 backer would do. If he can, you're still taking a risk. But yes, he has a lot of potential.

I'd still feel more comfortable with Hodges in the 3rd. Or Thomas late 2nd.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:
Not saying he doesn't. All I am saying is, a 4-3 LBer doesn't "get after the QB" like a 3-4 LBers. So when scouting for a LBer for us you need to look at his coverage skills 1st.

Barr has good pass blocking skills, but is a converted fullback. Talent is there just needs to be unlocked. I am not a fan of "potential". So I would pass up on Barr and go with Greene or Hodges.

Now if you are looking for that tweener, the guy that can give us different looks (4-3 and 3-4) in the same game then I like Chase Thomas. Though Barr wouldn't be terrible to have.
Tell this to Marvin Lewis when he used Peter Boulware primarily as a rushing SAM in a 4-3 defense for the Ravens. He has been trying to find a player with very similar qualities ever since coming here, but none have panned out for various reasons. I'm still convinced he wants to find his next Peter Boulware. Both Barr and Chase Thomas fit that mold.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Tell this to Marvin Lewis when he used Peter Boulware primarily as a rushing SAM in a 4-3 defense for the Ravens. He has been trying to find a player with very similar qualities ever since coming here, but none have panned out for various reasons. I'm still convinced he wants to find his next Peter Boulware. Both Barr and Chase Thomas fit that mold.
The Ravens have been a hybrid Defense that is listed as a 4-3. Again if you want a tweener then Thomas and Barr do fit the mold, I would go with Thomas over Barr since Barr is a converted FB. I just don't see us picking up that tweener spot early and I have a hard time seeing Thomas or Barr being there in the 4th round.

Since a lot of people think LBer is a need then we need to get TRUE SAM and WILL backers not rushing LBers that would thrive in a 3-4 and rack up sack after sack.

We need the ones that can cover the TEs and RBs or even the slower WRs. This will give more time for our DLine to smack the QB or force an errant throw which our LBers would then be ready to intercept.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What? How does you not realizing that a LBer in a 4-3 defense needs to have better coverage skills than ability to "get after a QB" translate to me not being a Bengals fan? As far as drafting goes..... take a look at some of my post, I am in favor of Barrett Jones then Alex Okafor then Joseph Randle.

Shore up the OLine then get a speed rushing DE and a solid RB.

u leave me SMH every time i see u write something...shore up the oline??? the oline is making BJGE look like a stud. quite down now. uve said enough.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Ravens have been a hybrid Defense that is listed as a 4-3. Again if you want a tweener then Thomas and Barr do fit the mold, I would go with Thomas over Barr since Barr is a converted FB. I just don't see us picking up that tweener spot early and I have a hard time seeing Thomas or Barr being there in the 4th round.

Since a lot of people think LBer is a need then we need to get TRUE SAM and WILL backers not rushing LBers that would thrive in a 3-4 and rack up sack after sack.

We need the ones that can cover the TEs and RBs or even the slower WRs. This will give more time for our DLine to smack the QB or force an errant throw which our LBers would then be ready to intercept.
dude i want a tweener on this team...they are game changers if u hit on one. nothing u say makes sense and in essence just makes my point again you leave me SMH
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
dude i want a tweener on this team...they are game changers if u hit on one. nothing u say makes sense and in essence just makes my point again you leave me SMH
IF is the word you use.... IF we hit on a tweener then they are game changers, but what happens IF we don't? I tell you, a wasted draft pick.

For a guy who played football his entire life you obviously don't understand the game much. How hard is it to understand that we don't NEED a LBer to "get after the QB"? We NEED LBers to cover. Anthony Barr is a converted FB playing OLB, that only rushes the QB, he will be great in a 3-4 scheme but be a liability in a 4-3 unless he can play in coverage as well as rush.

Unless the Bengals have great coverage LBers (which we don't) there is no way you take a guy like Anthony Barr as a tweener. Tweener picks or guys with potential are luxury picks when you don't have any major holes to fill. You use your early picks on guys that fit your system. C.J. Mosely or Alec Olgetree are better in coverage for a 1st round pick and Gerald Hodges or Khaseem Greene should still be there for our late 2nd or even possibly 3rd round. They would improve our LBer corps ability to cover.

Who knows we may already have our tweener in Moch, the guy is not bad in coverage and can get after the QB. The only downside is that he can't stay healthy. However he is a project and can perhaps develop into what you are looking for and his presence isn't really missed all that much. Mays could also be a good candidate for the tweener role as he isn't great in coverage but he can shut down a TE and RB, plus his speed would factor into "getting after the QB" but he would need to work on shedding his blocks.