Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8908
Default What's going on with the Big East?

I thought I read somewhere that the Big East is breaking up and Cincinnati is hoping to get a call from the ACC?

Can anyone tell me what's going on, I'm so lost right now.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7085
Default Re: What's going on with the Big East?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the Big East is breaking up and Cincinnati is hoping to get a call from the ACC?

Louisville got that call instead of UC, which replaced Maryland who went to the Big 10.

Big East is going down hill in a hurry. They added Tulane a day before Louisville left, which is a pretty poor program in both football and men's basketball. There was also speculation that East Carolina would join the Big East in just football as well. Another not so great pickup.

Fast Forward to 2 days ago, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall and Providence are all leaving the Big East and going their own routes. Note: None of those schools played major college football. Their focus was on Basketball.

So yeah, Big East is declining quick.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post

In a nutshell, the big east screwed themselves over big time. Had they banded together and stood pat, they would still have had a pretty good conference. But it became a game of musical chairs and every school for itself. They might have been in a position to land one or two good schools themselves even, then they could have been in good position to withstand the loss of the basketball only schools. I still think uc gets picked up by somebody.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7105

UC is stuck in the sinking ship that is the Big East... for now.

Conference shuffling is far from over. UC and/or UConn will be the next to go. It's only a matter of time, and a question of where?

UC's best (and most likely option) is the ACC, but I've also heard that the Big 12 and the Big 10 are possibilities. It will all come down to who makes the next move out of which conference... and I'm betting we won't have to wait long.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8908

What kills me is that the Bearcats have won or took a share of the Big East title in football something like 4 out of 5 years and everyone wanted West Virginia, it made no sense. They said West Virginia was the cream of the crop, lol.

I don't know, I think it has to do with Cincinnati's location and not about the programs. They've been playing good football for 5 years and the basketball program is coming back since the loss of Huggins. I don't think the Big 10 is going to come knocking any time soon, but the ACC just might.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

Robert Smith said on ESPN that he wouldn't be surprised if the Bearcats join the MWC, especially now that Boise and SDSU will return. He said it would be a good move for them.

I don't know if UC could handle all the travel concerns, but if Boise and SDSU do go back, and the league adds Cincy on top of that, the MWC is suddenly a half decent football league.

The basketball side of that would **** however, I don't think UC fans would be happy playing MWC hoops. They would really miss playing UofL, Marquette, DePaul, etc.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Robert Smith said on ESPN that he wouldn't be surprised if the Bearcats join the MWC, especially now that Boise and SDSU will return. He said it would be a good move for them.

I don't know if UC could handle all the travel concerns, but if Boise and SDSU do go back, and the league adds Cincy on top of that, the MWC is suddenly a half decent football league.

The basketball side of that would **** however, I don't think UC fans would be happy playing MWC hoops. They would really miss playing UofL, Marquette, DePaul, etc.
I believe Cincinnati will move to the ACC or the Big 12 eventually.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-220
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5784

i have been hoping ever since penn st was added to the big 10 that uc would be added as well. osu needs an instate rival, when they have played osu they have always been very entertaining games. uc's football program has been growing stronger for several years and they are historically a good hoops team. i know the reason for the expansion of the big 10 in recent years has been all about the money hence maryland and rutgers, but does anyone actually expect them to compete with current big 10 teams, especially in football?