Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32168
Default Re: Geno Atkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
AJ came in with a rookie QB and rookie OC and a patchwork run game/OL.
Let's not act like AJ came into a situation with Tom Brady at the helm.
No but daltons rookie season was better than any season kitna put together for us.

different times different teams. you can compare their early years all you want but it wont paint the whole picture,.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3181

Want to keep this thread up there......Geno is a freakin beast. Pay him the money MB

Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Want to keep this thread up there......Geno is a freakin beast. Pay him the money MB
If he doesn't get a rather substantial payday before next season opens, it would be a travesty. He'll get paid like a top Defensive Tackle....hopefully he gets that money here.

Join the Bengals Message Board Survivor League. You know you want to....
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=125239
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17152

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
The Dunlap tackle behind the line is technically a TFL because Cassel had tucked and began to run.

The same reason his sack on Griffin wasn't actually a sack as well.
Because Griffin was technically planning on running.
BWAHAHAHA He was PLANNING on running.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
The Dunlap tackle behind the line is technically a TFL because Cassel had tucked and began to run.

The same reason his sack on Griffin wasn't actually a sack as well.
Because Griffin was technically planning on running.

You explanation is correct, but I think the method is bogus. If a quarterback goes back to pass, gets in trouble and tries to run, it should still be a sack if you get him behind the line of scrimmage.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
If he doesn't get a rather substantial payday before next season opens, it would be a travesty. He'll get paid like a top Defensive Tackle....hopefully he gets that money here.
Our defense would take such a huge hit if we let him go.

I honestly believe Mike Brown will throw a lot of money at him (salary floor), it is just a matter if Geno wants to play here.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

You know I gotta keep my favorite players thread hot.

Just to let ppl know Geno leads all DTs in sacks...by ALOT

This the NFL.com's draft profile of Geno....
Pick Analysis: Atkins is an undersized interior defender that is very productive at the collegiate level. He understands angles and how to leverage blockers with proper pad level and deceptive strength. Atkins is best when on the move (stunting) and does a great job of penetrating the line of scrimmage to disrupt the run as well as pressure the quarterback. Atkins is a good football player that needs to improve his hand use and expand his pass rush package to be effective at the next level. He should contribute at the next level in the right system (4-3 scheme) but may struggle due to lack of size.

He really shut that up didnt he.lol

Oh yeah we drfated him in the 4th round btw. Lets not even mention FF for Suh's sake

A guy with the last name Suh was drafted 2nd OVR in that same draft and looks like lunch compared to Geno right now. Career wise Geno has 19.5 sacks and Suh 18.5.
Talk about value....Also Geno doesnt come with the extra baggage

Last edited by Housh; 11-30-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1870

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
There are only three who may have been better. One of them was better, the others it is too close to call, as of right now.

Mike Reid was as good as Geno Atkins. He left football to become a musician. He was the best DT in the AFC at that time. That included two guys on the D line from the steel curtain, that made it to the Hall of Fame. I still do not know why he left football to write music, he was a much better football player than a writer of music. Tim Krunrie was a "BEAST" and is the closes to how Geno Atkins plays. The 49ers did not have a first down in the Super Bowl until the play Krumrie got hurt. His foot got stuck in a seam in the carpet and he broke both bones. That allowed the RB to get their first first down. After that the D line could not dominate the game, like thay had earlier.
Mike Reid was a trained concert pianist. I remember him saying he did not want to cripple his hands playing football any longer. I sure hated to see him go.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Shoutin out Geno. Still leads all DTs in sacks. Setting Bengals history

Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23152
bengals Re: Geno Atkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyforkbengal View Post
I know this is stating the obvious, but Geno Atkins is a freakin' beast! Definitly the best defensive lineman in the N.F.L.
Atkins is what Ndumakong Suh is supposed to be! I dont remember a Bengals defensive player that has caused as much havoc as this man.
Geno is hands down the league defensive MVP!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17152

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Geno is hands down the league defensive MVP!
JJ Watt gets my vote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24226

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
JJ Watt gets my vote
Yeah mine too.
He is pretty much closing in on a Reggie White type season.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73324

Quote:
Yeah mine too.
He is pretty much closing in on a Reggie White type season.
Yep. If he breaks the sack record as a 5 and 3 tech, it might be the best defensive performance in a season...ever
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Yep. If he breaks the sack record as a 5 and 3 tech, it might be the best defensive performance in a season...ever
I will be honest, with his current sack total and all his other numbers, he is already borderline
Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post

This the NFL.com's draft profile of Geno....
Pick Analysis: Atkins is an undersized interior defender that is very productive at the collegiate level. He understands angles and how to leverage blockers with proper pad level and deceptive strength. Atkins is best when on the move (stunting) and does a great job of penetrating the line of scrimmage to disrupt the run as well as pressure the quarterback. Atkins is a good football player that needs to improve his hand use and expand his pass rush package to be effective at the next level. He should contribute at the next level in the right system (4-3 scheme) but may struggle due to lack of size.
I was Geno's biggest advocate the year we drafted him (got the posts to prove it) and I had no idea he would be this good.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I will be honest, with his current sack total and all his other numbers, he is already borderline
Yep. I'm just saying, statistically. It would be crazy. So many batted passes, forced turnovers, stops, and sacks.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep. I'm just saying, statistically. It would be crazy. So many batted passes, forced turnovers, stops, and sacks.
It's absurd really.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
It's absurd really.
The top 11 of the draft then was jizztastic
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The top 11 of the draft then was jizztastic
I wanted Watt if AJ wasn't there.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29086

Why can't we just say that Chad and AJ are 1A and 1B among great Bengals WRs? AJ is taller and better with jump balls. Chad had the best feet and quickest breaks I've ever seen. Both had/have great hands. Both had/have good deep speed. Both could beat double coverage.

I will say this to those saying AJ is already better: the season AJ is having, as great as it is, is no better than anything Chad did from 2003-07. AJ is on pace for 1381 yards. Chad averaged 1374 yards and 9 TDs from 03-07. Think about that. Chad did what AJ is currently doing for 5 straight seasons. Dominance. That's leaving out '02 and '09, which were solid seasons too.

AJ might catch 2-3 more TDs every year thanks to his height/leaping advantage, but other than that it's pretty dead even.

I know some like to say that AJ is ahead of where Chad was in year 2, and he is (somewhat), but Chad took longer to develop, whereas I feel AJ hit the ground running so to speak. Plus even a rookie Dalton is better than Jon Kitna. Especially with the way Kitna played in Chad's first couple seasons.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-20-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Why can't we just say that Chad and AJ are 1A and 1B among great Bengals WRs? AJ is taller and better with jump balls. Chad had the best feet and quickest breaks I've ever seen. Both had/have great hands. Both had/have good deep speed. Both could beat double coverage.

I will say this to those saying AJ is already better: the season AJ is having, as great as it is, is no better than anything Chad did from 2003-07. AJ is on pace for 1381 yards. Chad averaged 1374 yards and 9 TDs from 03-07. Think about that. Chad did what AJ is currently doing for 5 straight seasons. Dominance. That's leaving out '02 and '09, which were solid seasons too.

AJ might catch 2-3 more TDs every year thanks to his height/leaping advantage, but other than that it's pretty dead even.

I know some like to say that AJ is ahead of where Chad was in year 2, and he is (somewhat), but Chad took longer to develop, whereas I feel AJ hit the ground running so to speak. Plus even a rookie Dalton is better than Jon Kitna. Especially with the way Kitna played in Chad's first couple seasons.

As you have already noted. AJ is doing this out of the gate and not needing a development stage. With a very young QB as well. Could have bigger #'s even imo. AJ is all the defense has to focus on. No TJ or Chris Henry to draw coverage away.

Also a few TD's a year is a lot. It is over 20% of Chad's yearly total of TD's during your highlighted years of 03 - 07 used in example. Even more in actuality.

Personally like Chad, not his antics though . But AJ appears to be better imo. May not pan out that way in the long run. But barring injury ? Think it will. Plus he is not a team distraction. This is huge in seasons just like this one.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7116

Quote:

I believe AJ's ceiling is higher than Chad's.. but that's neither here nor there. I will give Chad the benefit of a much better supporting cast. I think Andy will become real good (perhaps not great, but he doesn't need to be) but Carson '05-'07 threw up some big time passing numbers and Kitna had a really good '03 though very comparable to Dalton... also from '03-'06, there was a pretty decent Rudi Johnson who I consider better than Benson and SLIGHTLY better than BJGE... not even including Housh and Slim.

I think the only place where AJ has better support on offense than Chad in Carson's prime years is Gresham. Brat didn't know that TEs were actually allowed to catch passes, so that's not really a surprise though.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

And then for round 2 we ignore stats and do the eye test....Is AJ better than Chad? And to that ill say they are 2 different types of WRs but ill take AJ all day everyday. Idc whats say. Welker has had the best stats for years and while he is a beast theres still a handful of guys id take before him

Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 122

Really like the post by Bengal Trucker. You have it exactly right. Glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember Mike Reid. He was really a great player. But I suspect he's happier playing music than football. I think if Geno Atkins continues to play with this intensity, he will break all the career records for sacks by interior lineman in the NFL. Nobody can block him. All the so called experts agree. I think he is the key to beating Pittsburgh this weekend. If he pushes the pocket up the middle Johnson and Dunlop will clean up. Getting Roethlisberger on the ground is THE key to the game. The Steelers will fold like a cheap suit if we hit them in the mouth to start the game. Who Dey!!!