Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 297
Default Carlos Dunlap misses practice due to illness

Hope it isn't anything serious. Might be the flu. Woolley, Antonio Brown, and some other Steelers had the flu last week and had to miss practices. I am sure that affected their play against the Cowboys. If it is the flu, Dunlap has to stay away so other team members don't get sick as well. B

If their doctors are any good, he should already be on Tamiflu so long as it was properly diagnosed within 48 hrs. He will be feeling like crap for 2 days but should be ok by Sunday.

Indoor practice bubble?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Carlos Dunlap misses practice due to illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
Hope it isn't anything serious. Might be the flu. Woolley, Antonio Brown, and some other Steelers had the flu last week and had to miss practices. I am sure that affected their play against the Cowboys. If it is the flu, Dunlap has to stay away so other team members don't get sick as well. B

If their doctors are any good, he should already be on Tamiflu so long as it was properly diagnosed within 48 hrs. He will be feeling like crap for 2 days but should be ok by Sunday.

Indoor practice bubble?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?
I know lots of people that have had the flu and none of them got it because they did not have a practice bubble.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5567
Default Re: Carlos Dunlap misses practice due to illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I know lots of people that have had the flu and none of them got it because they did not have a practice bubble.
So true...lol...germs that cause the flu cannot actually survive in a cold atmosphere...more likely to spread in a practice bubble..just sayin
Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Are you really going to apologize for this as well?

Immunoglobulins function worse at colder temperatures. Hence why we are more prone to getting sick in the fall and winter. Wow, we sure are proactive. First you think players should motivate themselves and now this. Should players also train themselves? Coach themselves? It should all be intrinsic right? All upon the mployee and not on the employer?

Why do companies invest in technology? To increase employees productivity. And the more companies invest in their people, the happier, focused, and committed they are to the company.

We gave Willie Anderson a towel that couldn't reach around the waist of a 300 lb man, Jonathan Joseph is surprised that the Texans don't ration Gatorade. Dalton got sick last year the Week of the playoff game because of no practice bubble.

Keep on apologizing...
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18385

Flu has hit everyone in my house....but it lasts only about 48 hours, which means it won't be an issue.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Immunoglobulins function worse at colder temperatures. Hence why we are more prone to getting sick in the fall and winter. Wow, we sure are proactive. First you think players should motivate themselves and now this. Should players also train themselves? Coach themselves? It should all be intrinsic right? All upon the mployee and not on the employer?

Why do companies invest in technology? To increase employees productivity. And the more companies invest in their people, the happier, focused, and committed they are to the company.

We gave Willie Anderson a towel that couldn't reach around the waist of a 300 lb man, Jonathan Joseph is surprised that the Texans don't ration Gatorade. Dalton got sick last year the Week of the playoff game because of no practice bubble.

Keep on apologizing...
First of all I have apologized for nothing and most of all not for my reply to another of your constant negative whining threads.

I can not believe you stand up for a multimillionaire that would whine because a team does not give him gatorade to take home as well as soap and deodorant.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater View Post
Flu has hit everyone in my house....but it lasts only about 48 hours, which means it won't be an issue.
You must not live in a practice bubble....
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
First of all I have apologized for nothing and most of all not for my reply to another of your constant negative whining threads.

I can not believe you stand up for a multimillionaire that would whine because a team does not give him gatorade to take home as well as soap and deodorant.
What a dumb argument. Do you think a doctor compares his work pros and cons to that of an accountants? No! He compres his work environment to other doctors. Grow up and stop trying to defend a much richer man trying to be cheap.

Last edited by EyeOfTheTiger; 12-19-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
So true...lol...germs that cause the flu cannot actually survive in a cold atmosphere...more likely to spread in a practice bubble..just sayin
Some viruses can survive up to 6 weeks outside.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater View Post
If you really loved your family you would invest in a practice bubble

totally unrelated but my dog has gas and he stinks
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11028

Quote:
What a dumb argument. Do you think a doctor compares his work pros and cons to that of an accountants? No! He compres his work environment to other doctors. Grow up and stop trying to defend a much richer man trying to be cheap.
Democrat?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
You must not live in a practice bubble....
LMAO.....great post!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:

Immunoglobulins function worse at colder temperatures. Hence why we are more prone to getting sick in the fall and winter.
What a bunch of crap. Immunoglobulins function INSIDE the human body, which is pretty constant temperature wise.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
What a bunch of crap. Immunoglobulins function INSIDE the human body, which is pretty constant temperature wise.
I know of 2 diseases where a colder body temperature (as experienced in winter) can precipitate an autoimmune attack. I am not trying to propose that is what happens during an infection at all, but countering your supposition that the temperature range of the human body is not affecting biomedical pathways.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53206

Quote:
Yep. If only Dunlap had one of these

Last edited by fredtoast; 12-19-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Yep. If only Dunlap had one of these

? Apparently you did not follow posts very well. Dunlap did not get sick because of the lack of a bubble.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Maybe every player should get there own bubble, then nobody would get sick
Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
Maybe every player should get there own bubble, then nobody would get sick
I saw that movie...1970 something with John Travolta....that would take care of the bad calls on clean hits also and concussions...I think we are onto something here...keep going
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
? Apparently you did not follow posts very well. Dunlap did not get sick because of the lack of a bubble.
You let your kids run outside without a jacket don't you? It's called being proactive and preventing an illness before it can start.

Being outside in the cold does not always make you sick.

Being inside where it's warm WILL make you much less likely to get sick compared to a person outside in the cold.

Hey Mr apologist, try and understand this:

Cold weather makes body temp drop
To conserve heat, body thermoregulates by vasoconstricting blood vessels and shunting blood away from periphery and to core
Less blood at periphery means less white blood cells at periphery
Which means better chance of infection

Also, some viruses thrive in cold
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11248

I think this is the sole reason AJ was off for the Dallas game. He was technically on the up but it takes a few more days to get back to 100%.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5583

Quote:
You let your kids run outside without a jacket don't you? It's called being proactive and preventing an illness before it can start.

Being inside where it's warm WILL make you much less likely to get sick compared to a person outside in the cold.

To conserve heat, body thermoregulates by vasoconstricting blood vessels and shunting blood away from periphery and to core

Exactly. Why does the body raise its internal temperature when you have flu? Because it kills the virus with heat, not cold.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32089

Quote:

Don't worry bro, I get what you're saying. Doing strenuous activities (practice) in cold weather is a good way to get sick. My entire platoon was sick for the duration of Basic Training because we were outside during the winter doing hardcore training.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp, but some posters will always take the positive route, even if it means defending Mike Brown's cheapness. There is no logical reason to not have an indoor facility. If so, I'd love to hear it.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260

Quote:

Indoor practice bubble?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?
Um........... they practice indoors in the winter (soccer field last I heard, but it's indoors, and I think they'd even bus to a college bubble and I think they might use UC's some), so it wasn't from practicing outdoors.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53206

Here is the deal with practicing outdoors in cold weather. I don't know about getting sick, but I do know that it is harder and more demanding on the body. Your body uses a lot of energy to keep warm, so you tire out more 'tquickly. You can't do as many full speed reps because it wears you down more.

I used to live in Boulder Colorado. I had friends there who were elite athletes. In fact many athletes come there to train because of the high altitude. The air out there was much drier than it is here, but cold air is always drier than warm air. No matter how warm you keep the outside of your body you still have to breath in that cold dry air, and if you train too hard in those conditions you can irritate your bronchial tubes and develope bronchitis. I don't think this would be a problem with the Bengals because they are not training for endurance events, but it still shows that cold weather is not the best for training.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Don't worry bro, I get what you're saying. Doing strenuous activities (practice) in cold weather is a good way to get sick. My entire platoon was sick for the duration of Basic Training because we were outside during the winter doing hardcore training.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp, but some posters will always take the positive route, even if it means defending Mike Brown's cheapness. There is no logical reason to not have an indoor facility. If so, I'd love to hear it.
I contacted a respiratory infection in basic training as well it was in the summer in El Paso, Texas. Wasn't really cold there.

It is not that all are supporting Mike Brown it could as well many are tired of the constant negative whining and complaining that comes from a small group. Sure it could be from practicing outside. However, as you can see from many posts that there are many other reasons to contract respiratory ailments and the flu.

The OP has zero basis of fact for his accusation rather pure speculation and conjecture. He has nothing to back the claim that Dunlap having the flu is a result of practicing in the elements. For all the OP knows Carlos could have been sucking face with some hottie that was a carrier.