Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25316
Default Re: rotating centers.......again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I don't think all of the sacks are because of the center rotation, but I think it's a part of the problem. It could cause communication mixups, and if the guards don't know what the center is doing then it could affect their play. If the play of the guards is affected, that could affect how the tackles play. That's why everyone is bringing up chemistry.
I would agree except that hasn't been the case. The problem has been just failing to block your guy.

Guys are not coming in free. The are just beating the OL. That won't change regardless of personnel. Assignments are not being blown, they are just losing the battle right now.

I know about OL chemistry. I played on the OL for 6 years. The reason I don't buy that as an excuse is that Cook isn't some guy from the street. Has worked with every OL we have to some degree. So I don't see him as a disrupting force at all.

I think this is mostly coincidental. Would I do a rotation? No, but it isn't actually hurting us either.

Cook coming back just happened right when we played 2 defenses who match up favorably vs our OL. Especially on the outside.

I think the OL will be just fine vs the power rushers of Pittsburgh.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526
Default Hating the rotation

I know there have been threads chronicling the rotation of Trevor and Kyle, but seriously i hate it. I hate it. I don't care if both are playing well, it's messing up the chemistry of the line. Regardless of how the two graded out, it's obvious there is a link between the 11 sacks and the rotation the last two games...Why in the world are they trying to mix up a good thing at a critical point of the season?! It blows my mind that Alexander and the others are keeping the rotation...It's a horrible coaching decision in my mind.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526
Default Re: Hating the rotation

mods, feel free to combine this with the other rotation thread...I just had to speak my mind.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17635

I know. It is just assinine. The center handles signal calling and assignments. It is dumb and another indication that intern Marv is clueless in some areas. I am gonna knock Jay on this one too.

He compares it to Roland and collins last year. Your hangin your hat on that?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24508
bengals Re: Hating the rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post
I know there have been threads chronicling the rotation of Trevor and Kyle, but seriously i hate it. I hate it. I don't care if both are playing well, it's messing up the chemistry of the line. Regardless of how the two graded out, it's obvious there is a link between the 11 sacks and the rotation the last two games...Why in the world are they trying to mix up a good thing at a critical point of the season?! It blows my mind that Alexander and the others are keeping the rotation...It's a horrible coaching decision in my mind.
How novel another thread about the center rotation. It has been what about 10 minutes since the last one. I don't think Alexander cares if you like it.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3204

The problem is that only one of them is really playing well and that is Robinson. Even the line coach said Cook was not good in his return at Dallas. I know the sack numbers are up since Cook's return but that's not saying the blame goes to him. I think the last game it was essentially Boling and Dre just getting blown off the line. With that said though, I'm all for continuity and so I'd rather just see one center in there. I did see a play where Boling got beat and Cook could have been there for a chip but he instead did not block anybody.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23361
Default Inflating the rotation

Saw the hating the rotation thread and couldn't help myself. But when you think about it, it makes sense.

The o-line play has fallen off the past few games. The Bengals lost one and won one, looking crappy (considering the o-line here) even in success. As much as I like to bury Cook and know he's a loadstone on the o-line, I cannot point the finger at him for the loss and bad game.

Was he a factor? Of course! But consider missed reads by Dalton, missed o-line assignments, dropped passes, and many more failures by the defense. Cook has become a lightning rod for a struggling team, and the Bengals are not helping it by announcing he will be rotated with Robinson against the Steelers.

But why do this if Robinson has better chemistry and is playing very well? Is it to give Cook back his position? Does the most money play? Is Robinson struggling more than we are willing to admit? Or is it a built in excuse in case of failing to make the playoffs or have a winning season?

I don't mean this to be a conspiracy thread, but simply to point out that this center rotation has garnered far to much attention, when the real issues lie elsewhere. But currently, this country is ignoring massive inflation, so I just thought I should mention it, and it merited a thread.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

You guys are morons and drama queens.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Can anyone find a story about any other good teams rotating their starting linemen?
It has never been done before, because most coaches are smart enough to see this destroys the timing of the entire O line.

That is also shy I think it is coming from the FO. Mike Brown doesn't know crapola about football, and he has made dumb suggestions like this in the past.

Remember Mike Brown thinks O linemen are like pawns and you can just switch them around, or replace them with no difference.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I would agree except that hasn't been the case. The problem has been just failing to block your guy.

Guys are not coming in free. The are just beating the OL. That won't change regardless of personnel. Assignments are not being blown, they are just losing the battle right now.

I know about OL chemistry. I played on the OL for 6 years. The reason I don't buy that as an excuse is that Cook isn't some guy from the street. Has worked with every OL we have to some degree. So I don't see him as a disrupting force at all.

I think this is mostly coincidental. Would I do a rotation? No, but it isn't actually hurting us either.

Cook coming back just happened right when we played 2 defenses who match up favorably vs our OL. Especially on the outside.

I think the OL will be just fine vs the power rushers of Pittsburgh.
Do you believe the Center sets the timing for the entire O line?
Do you know every Center is different?

That means switching Centers affects the timing of the O line.
That means rotating Centers upset the timing of the entire O line, more than once a game. In fact several times a game.

Do you honestly think that doesn't effect the play of the other men on the O line?
If you do think it doesn't affect the rest of the O line, please explain why you believe that.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8320
bengals Re: rotating centers.......again

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
It will stop when one of the two separates from the other or it actually causes problems.
...Said every fan when Mathis and Livings were splitting time.

Then the Bengals ended up with a couple years of Livings and now Mathis is one of the best LGs in the game.. in Philadelphia. Huh.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."

Last edited by TheLeonardLeap; 12-20-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440
Default Re: Inflating the rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Saw the hating the rotation thread and couldn't help myself. But when you think about it, it makes sense.

The o-line play has fallen off the past few games. The Bengals lost one and won one, looking crappy (considering the o-line here) even in success. As much as I like to bury Cook and know he's a loadstone on the o-line, I cannot point the finger at him for the loss and bad game.

Was he a factor? Of course! But consider missed reads by Dalton, missed o-line assignments, dropped passes, and many more failures by the defense. Cook has become a lightning rod for a struggling team, and the Bengals are not helping it by announcing he will be rotated with Robinson against the Steelers.

But why do this if Robinson has better chemistry and is playing very well? Is it to give Cook back his position? Does the most money play? Is Robinson struggling more than we are willing to admit? Or is it a built in excuse in case of failing to make the playoffs or have a winning season?

I don't mean this to be a conspiracy thread, but simply to point out that this center rotation has garnered far to much attention, when the real issues lie elsewhere. But currently, this country is ignoring massive inflation, so I just thought I should mention it, and it merited a thread.
I agree that people have been using cook as an excuse for the o-line play (which was only one game in my opinion) But really I think most of the problems have been because of Dalton not trusting his young recievers. He knows that lately they have been having a rough time even catching the ball, let alone running the correct route or running it well. It might be cliche, but our #2 needs to step up, as well as Gresham.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1433

Mikey will make sure whoever gets paid the most at each position will play the most, Cook, Geathers and so on. Always been that way, always will. Ive never heard of any team that rotates Centers, because its stupid, might as well rotate Dalton and Gradkowski. (however its spelled)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1433

I predict we will have at least 5 false starts and 2 or more delay of game panalties.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
...Said every fan when Mathis and Livings were splitting time.

Then the Bengals ended up with a couple years of Livings and now Mathis is one of the best LGs in the game.. in Philadelphia. Huh.
Mathis *****.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Do you believe the Center sets the timing for the entire O line?
Do you know every Center is different?

That means switching Centers affects the timing of the O line.
That means rotating Centers upset the timing of the entire O line, more than once a game. In fact several times a game.

Do you honestly think that doesn't effect the play of the other men on the O line?
If you do think it doesn't affect the rest of the O line, please explain why you believe that.
Give me a break, drama queen. Glad you are so much more knowledgeable and better informed about our offense than Jay Gruden and the rest of our offensive staff.

Fans are idiots
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

love it and i want more of it
Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23361

Give me a break, drama queen. Glad you are so much more knowledgeable and better informed about our offense than Jay Gruden and the rest of our offensive staff.

Fans are idiots

I am betting you are a fan...
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23837

The best explanation? Marvin Lewis. His bias against young players is legendary.

Missed OLine assignments? Who calls out the assignments? The center does, right? Maybe Cook made the wrong calls? I'm not saying he did, but it's possible.

It's all 20/20 hindsight now. Moving forward, when's the last time Marvin consulted with us on anything? Marvin's gonna do what Marvin's gonna do. All we can do is sit here and shake our damn heads. Rest assured that the Steelers are going to send the house against Andy.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
The best explanation? Marvin Lewis. His bias against young players is legendary.

Missed OLine assignments? Who calls out the assignments? The center does, right? Maybe Cook made the wrong calls? I'm not saying he did, but it's possible.

It's all 20/20 hindsight now. Moving forward, when's the last time Marvin consulted with us on anything? Marvin's gonna do what Marvin's gonna do. All we can do is sit here and shake our damn heads. Rest assured that the Steelers are going to send the house against Andy.
i don;t agree.. with there injuries at CB.. they will not blitz as much to protect them... also our running game has been solid last two games so line is doing well there
Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobo9 View Post
i don;t agree.. with there injuries at CB.. they will not blitz as much to protect them... also our running game has been solid last two games so line is doing well there
How's the pass protection been lately? 6 sacks in Philly. Two balls stripped from Andy for turnovers. I'm willing to give the Eagles some credit for that, but we're effectively playing the Steelers in a playoff game. We have to do better.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobo9 View Post
never try and guess what Lebeau is going to do
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rugby. I understand a lot of factors have gone into it but the only question that cannot be answered is why change anything with the success the Oline and Robinson had when Cook was out.

It is just stupid
Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20914

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

Not the country, just the president.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
How's the pass protection been lately? 6 sacks in Philly. Two balls stripped from Andy for turnovers. I'm willing to give the Eagles some credit for that, but we're effectively playing the Steelers in a playoff game. We have to do better.

Shady, we all saw the abominal performance from the OL in the Philly game. If you watched that game closely, most of the problems had little to do with the C position. Now, I'm the first one to say that I hate the rotation at C, Robinson should be left in there until he proves he shouldn't. But the pass rush was mostly coming from the outside, against the tackles, in the Philly game. Boling was abuses badly, Zeitler didn't look like his normal self, either.

Imo, the problem was that the OL was tired, last Thursday night. They have had plenty of time to get rested adn well. I believe that you'll see a different attitude against the Steelers.