Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Wingnut Wingnut is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,423
Rep Points: 6791
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyJon View Post
They don't do bad things because they do bad things. They do bad things because they were born that way.

Have you ever lied? Stole? Etc....
I have. Doesn't make me a killer. Unless you want to include that time in Iraq.

But, I've been told by Christian chaplains the good Lord gives out exemptions for that. Sergeat York will explain it to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W87k64HU9gE

Funny the religious leaders of non-Christian countries tell their soldiers the same thing.

It's funny how we justify things to ourselves.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Ben zoo 2 Ben zoo 2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In your head
Posts: 1,302
Rep Points: 2657
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

On a lighter note, I think guns are like women. Stick your finger in then do the come here motion.

Deep thoughts.

Maybe.















Maybe not.
__________________
Can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 35,953
Rep Points: 36244
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
That doesn't answer my question. How does this drive up ratings?

And I have not seen a single story in the major media about video games causing this shooting. I know there are all types of articles out there with all sorts of theories, but the main media sources are not blaming video games at all.
new story i was watching was talking about The guy played call of duty and they are looking into the issue. so they will try to find a way
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Wingnut Wingnut is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,423
Rep Points: 6791
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyJon View Post
If a person only owned the guns you want banned, then you are violating their 2nd amendment freedom. (I think even if they own those you don't want banned you are still violating their freedom, but for the sake of argument let's roll with the first.)
This website's code of conduct restricts what you can and cannot write on this website. Is your First Amendment right being violated? According to your logic it is. Yet, I haven't heard a peep out of you in protest. But, you've squalled like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs at the suggestion you can't have a 10 round magazine for your .22 plinking rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
This website's code of conduct restricts what you can and cannot write on this website. Is your First Amendment right being violated? According to your logic it is. Yet, I haven't heard a peep out of you in protest. But, you've squalled like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs at the suggestion you can't have a 10 round magazine for your .22 plinking rifle.
Government banning the ownership of guns can be argued as a violation of the constitution.

Private company restricting speech within its property can not.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
This website's code of conduct restricts what you can and cannot write on this website. Is your First Amendment right being violated? According to your logic it is. Yet, I haven't heard a peep out of you in protest. But, you've squalled like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs at the suggestion you can't have a 10 round magazine for your .22 plinking rifle.
First Amendment rights don't apply to a privately owned websites, clubs, businesses, and so forth.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
new story i was watching was talking about The guy played call of duty and they are looking into the issue. so they will try to find a way
What'd I tell you... They already tried the bully discussion, and it fell flat. Turns out he was always under some adult supervision. They haven't come out with Daddy poking him in the cheeks with pins yet.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Wingnut Wingnut is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,423
Rep Points: 6791
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Government banning the ownership of guns can be argued as a violation of the constitution.

Private company restricting speech within its property can not.
There is a difference between restricting which guns can be purchased and not allowing a person to purchase a gun at all.

WhoDeyJon is restricted from purchasing a M240B, that doesn't mean he is banned from all gun purchases.

Which illustrates my previous point his rights aren't unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
First Amendment rights don't apply to a privately owned websites, clubs, businesses, and so forth.
I know. His rights aren't unlimited which is exactly my point. Just using another example. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyJon View Post
Well, that's 2 different things. I disagree with both. If you took them away from someone, it is clear you are infringing. The 2nd amendment doesn't state that you can only own certain types of guns. The moment they were taken, you have infringed upon their right to own THAT gun.

Banning them going forward, does the same thing.

If the 2nd amendment said "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, except for XYZ guns" then I would say you have a case to be made. But it doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Just because you have a constitutional right doesn't mean that right is unlimited.

Does the First Amendment specifically say you can't yell "Fire!" in a theater? Does it say you can't yell "Bomb!" on an airplane? Does it say you can't engage in hate speech? No, it doesn't say any of that and yet it is illegal to do such things. Is your First Amendment right being infringed upon because you can't yell "Bomb!" on an airplane? No, it isn't.

Is a felon's Second Amendment right being infringed upon because he is no longer permitted to own a firearm? Is my Second Amendment right being infringed upon because I can't go out a buy a M240B because the current gun control laws prevent me from doing so because I don't have the proper license and haven't been through the vetting process to obtain the necessary license? No, my Second Amendment right to bear arms isn't being infringed upon because I can't buy a M240B.

I just don't understand the fanatical opposition to any sort of gun control law. As a law abiding citizen and gun owner, gun control laws will have zero affect on my ability to own guns legally. Stricter gun control laws regarding military assault rifles marketed for civilian purposes or other guns with high capacity firing ability will have zero affect on my ability for home defense or to hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
What'd I tell you... They already tried the bully discussion, and it fell flat. Turns out he was always under some adult supervision. They haven't come out with Daddy poking him in the cheeks with pins yet.
Daddy really hasn't been a big part of his life for a while.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
There is a difference between restricting which guns can be purchased and not allowing a person to purchase a gun at all.

WhoDeyJon is restricted from purchasing a M240B, that doesn't mean he is banned from all gun purchases.

Which illustrates my previous point his rights aren't unlimited.


I know. His rights aren't unlimited which is exactly my point. Just using another example. See below...
Yes, that's entirely correct. The government first regulated the manufacture and sale of guns in 1932, and has since then. It has the right (infact some would argue according to the Constitution, only the right, but that's another discussion), to regulate interstate commerce. And the 2008 SCOTUS decsion in DC vs Heller, left open for further court rulings the question on restrictions. They only ruled that you can't just ban all guns. They didn't say you can't restrict or regulate them.

Back to what I've said 15 times already, the State of Connecticut has had a ban in place on the possession of assault guns (rifles, since an assault gun is actualy something like the Stug III, Kampfwagon - see pic below), for many years. (Averting not much of anything it seems, certainly not this Sandy Hook incident). But Connecticut did that, and no one challenged it to the SCOTAS, nor would they have won if they did I would say.

A German Assault Gun from WWII, the Stug III, or Sturmgeschütz III.



Now, these Assault Guns are banned.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals


Last edited by Sher Khan; 12-20-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Daddy really hasn't been a big part of his life for a while.
You never know what took place way back when he were a lil nipper, that left serious psychological damage and just might have caused all this to happen that weren't his fault...
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
You never know what took place way back when he were a lil nipper, that left serious psychological damage and just might have caused all this to happen that weren't his fault...
Meh...Given the persons condition, I'm going with the mother's poor understanding of his issues, providing weapons training to a person diagnosed with emotional disassociation, and then allowing those weapons to be accessed without her presence.

Would this tragedy have been stopped completely if:

1. the mother had no weapons
2. the weapons were not readily accessible to him

Probably not, however I feel very confident that there would be many more children and adults that would have survived his wrath.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Meh...Given the persons condition, I'm going with the mother's poor understanding of his issues, providing weapons training to a person diagnosed with emotional disassociation, and then allowing those weapons to be accessed without her presence.

Would this tragedy have been stopped completely if:

1. the mother had no weapons
2. the weapons were not readily accessible to him

Probably not, however I feel very confident that there would be many more children and adults that would have survived his wrath.
Probably would be my guess also. They'll all be a wanting them assault rifles when the Zombie Apocalypse comes... That's tomorrow right.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
Probably would be my guess also. They'll all be a wanting them assault rifles when the Zombie Apocalypse comes... That's tomorrow right.
From what I can tell Australia is already gone.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
From what I can tell Australia is already gone.
Oh man, I'm gonna miss Kendal Schuler...
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 48,888
Rep Points: 53949
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post

You stated that violent crime was on the rise,.
No I didn't.

It has been dropping dramatically since the early 90's. So anyone who tries to tie the drop in violent crime to the end of the assault weapon ban in 2005 is just spewing nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,625
Rep Points: 7297
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
No I didn't.

It has been dropping dramatically since the early 90's. So anyone who tries to tie the drop in violent crime to the end of the assault weapon ban in 2005 is just spewing nonsense.
Misread that, you are correct it has been going down. For a long while now. I haven't heard of anyone who's making that connection particularly other than to say it doesn't account for the rise in gun sales. Why are sales rising? Hard to say, but obviously people don't feel safe for some reason.

But the media also can't link the rise in gun sales to a rising crime rate either.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM
SteelCitySouth's Avatar
SteelCitySouth SteelCitySouth is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Posts: 18,766
Rep Points: 29534
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
Why are sales rising?
12/21/2012.....
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 35,953
Rep Points: 36244
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
No I didn't.

It has been dropping dramatically since the early 90's. So anyone who tries to tie the drop in violent crime to the end of the assault weapon ban in 2005 is just spewing nonsense.
Not to the Assult Rifle Ban...

but the overall % of gun ownership....

If everyone has a gun how fast will you be to pick a fight?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM
CKWI88 CKWI88 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,204
Rep Points: 4400
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Interesting article:

http://news.yahoo.com/smart-guns-sho...202657039.html
Reply With Quote
  #421  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,089
Rep Points: 36580
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Not to the Assult Rifle Ban...

but the overall % of gun ownership....

If everyone has a gun how fast will you be to pick a fight?
But no one here is arguing against the number of guns out there, the argument is about a type of firearm that is so readily available.

So that statistic means nothing against these arguments.

Strawman, all over the place. Rabble rabble rabble.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Whatever Whatever is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,817
Rep Points: 20726
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
You were talking about a 10 round magazine for your .22 and you were asked why you needed a 10 round magazine. Next time try to be more clear. Obviously you don't need a 10 round magazine for a plinking rifle, you just don't want to be bothered by working the bolt or lever action.

If you can load, shoot, and reload a single shot shotgun 20 times in less than 40 seconds it will meet your needs just fine. Plus you could always upgrade to a double barrel or a pump action. Like you stated you've seen people reload a shotgun in a manner of seconds. So there are plenty of tactical alternatives which eliminate your perceived need for a high capacity magazine.

I'm glad you have thick skin. That doesn't obviate your use of perjoratives to insult others. Was there a need for your insults? Do we want to open that can of worms?
A large part of the point of high cap magazines in target weapons is that many people enjoy working on tighter shot groupings when rapid firing, which difficult to near impossible with a break action weapon. Besides, if you're proposing teaching people to fire a single shot weapon 20 times in less than 40 seconds is reasonable with a little practice as an alternative to high cap magazines, then there shouldn't be any issue with high cap magazines at all, since a person can logically shoot that fast whether they have a single shot weapon or a 30 round clip.

If we're talking about banning high capacity magazines because we believe it will make the public safer[and mind you, there is no empirical data that proves this statement], then the US should also ban all motor vehicles that can go faster than the legal speed limit, so 70 mph or so. It is a proven fact that excessive speed is a contributer to many traffic accidents and there are far more traffic deaths each year than shooting deaths, so if you govern all cars, trucks, and motorcycles to 70 mph, the general public will be far safer.

There's the slippery slope with that logic. A person can argue just as easily that you don't need a 300 HP sports car as they can that you don't need a 10 round magazine for your .22. This is where the concept of a free country comes in. We are reasonably free to do what we want so long as it does not endanger the lives of others. An AR-15 assault rifle with a 30 round clip being used to shoot targets at the local gun range is no more of a risk to the safety of the public than a Ford Mustang with a 400+HP engine being driven within the legal speed limit. Both items give their owners pleasure, however, if used in a dangerous manner, death can follow.
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Country Roads
Posts: 23,089
Rep Points: 36580
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
A large part of the point of high cap magazines in target weapons is that many people enjoy working on tighter shot groupings when rapid firing, which difficult to near impossible with a break action weapon. Besides, if you're proposing teaching people to fire a single shot weapon 20 times in less than 40 seconds is reasonable with a little practice as an alternative to high cap magazines, then there shouldn't be any issue with high cap magazines at all, since a person can logically shoot that fast whether they have a single shot weapon or a 30 round clip.

If we're talking about banning high capacity magazines because we believe it will make the public safer[and mind you, there is no empirical data that proves this statement], then the US should also ban all motor vehicles that can go faster than the legal speed limit, so 70 mph or so. It is a proven fact that excessive speed is a contributer to many traffic accidents and there are far more traffic deaths each year than shooting deaths, so if you govern all cars, trucks, and motorcycles to 70 mph, the general public will be far safer.

There's the slippery slope with that logic. A person can argue just as easily that you don't need a 300 HP sports car as they can that you don't need a 10 round magazine for your .22. This is where the concept of a free country comes in. We are reasonably free to do what we want so long as it does not endanger the lives of others. An AR-15 assault rifle with a 30 round clip being used to shoot targets at the local gun range is no more of a risk to the safety of the public than a Ford Mustang with a 400+HP engine being driven within the legal speed limit. Both items give their owners pleasure, however, if used in a dangerous manner, death can follow.
But only one is intended to be used to kill another person.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,288
Rep Points: 7368
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
But only one is intended to be used to kill another person.

Just saying.
If I had a dollar for every time you used the word intended in this thread, I could buy...

















an assault rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Wingnut Wingnut is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,423
Rep Points: 6791
Default Re: How do you feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
A large part of the point of high cap magazines in target weapons is that many people enjoy working on tighter shot groupings when rapid firing, which difficult to near impossible with a break action weapon.
And yet Army snipers practice that using the M24 with a 10 round magazine during break contact drills. Although the emphasis is on taking well aimed shots, not rapid fire.

You can practice rapid fire with 8 or 10 round magazines to improve your shot groupings. The three rapid magazine changes which would be required to fire three 10 round magazines vs. one 30 round magazine should make it more challenging and enjoyable. Rapid magazine changes are a perishible skill which needs to be practiced to master. I've seen shooting competitions that included this skill as a measure of their proficiency.

Quote:
Besides, if you're proposing teaching people to fire a single shot weapon 20 times in less than 40 seconds is reasonable with a little practice as an alternative to high cap magazines, then there shouldn't be any issue with high cap magazines at all, since a person can logically shoot that fast whether they have a single shot weapon or a 30 round clip.
I didn't propose that at all. I merely pointed out if he can load, fire, and reload a single shot shotgun 20 times in 40 seconds as he claimed that is actually faster than the sustained rate of fire with a M16 or M4 with a 30 round magazine which means his skill level obviates his perceived need for a high capacity magazine.

I also pointed out he could use a double barrel or pump action to decrease his time spent reloading. So he has other viable alternatives that also obviate his need for a high capacity magazine.

According to Guns&Ammo the top two reasons people cite for owning an assault rifle is for recreational shooting and home defense. You can accomplish each of those with a 10 round magazine. If your intent is home defense then you shouldn't be practicing rapid fire anyway. Your focus should be on well aimed shots and reflexive fire at close ranges that simulate the distances in your own home, typically less than 3m. If you can practice this safely in the dark, even better. More realistic. You should practice double tapping the target with no more than 2 round shot groups. I've fired thousand of rounds practicing and teaching CQB in tire houses and MOUT cities while in the Army and the crap I see people doing at ranges is stupid. Emptying a 30 round magazine as rapidly as you can to practice home defense is stupid.

Quote:
If we're talking about banning high capacity magazines because we believe it will make the public safer[and mind you, there is no empirical data that proves this statement],
Using the term "empirical data" makes that statement sound super intelligent on the surface. However, in order to have empirical data you need a study. In order to have a study, you need an experiment to collect empirical data. Where would one get volunteers for this study to collect the empirical data on whether or not banning high capacity magazines decreases their chances of getting shot?

Kinda like pharmaceutical data in pregnant mothers and fetuses. Which pregnant mothers are going to volunteer for studies to collect empirical data on the effects of their unborn child? Which parent will volunteer their newborn for studies to collect empirical data on the effects of the newborn?

Quote:
then the US should also ban all motor vehicles that can go faster than the legal speed limit, so 70 mph or so. It is a proven fact that excessive speed is a contributer to many traffic accidents and there are far more traffic deaths each year than shooting deaths, so if you govern all cars, trucks, and motorcycles to 70 mph, the general public will be far safer.
Do you understand the difference between an automobile accident and a violent crime commited with a gun as an intentional act?

When is the last time a home invasion was commited using an automobile as a weapon? When was the last time a bank or covenience store was robbed by threatening them with an automible? When was the last time someone was car jacked using an automobile as a weapon? When was the last time someone was raped or kidnapped while pointing an automobile to their head? When was the last time a criminal pulled an automobile from a concealed carry and robbed someone at an ATM at point grill range? Are soldiers issued automobiles as standard issue weapons or firearms? Do law enforcement agencies use firearms or automobiles to arm their officers? When was the last time you purchased an automobile for use as a weapon for self or home defense?

Quote:
There's the slippery slope with that logic. A person can argue just as easily that you don't need a 300 HP sports car as they can that you don't need a 10 round magazine for your .22. This is where the concept of a free country comes in. We are reasonably free to do what we want so long as it does not endanger the lives of others. An AR-15 assault rifle with a 30 round clip being used to shoot targets at the local gun range is no more of a risk to the safety of the public than a Ford Mustang with a 400+HP engine being driven within the legal speed limit. Both items give their owners pleasure, however, if used in a dangerous manner, death can follow.
Ah, the slippery slope fear mongering.

Except criminals aren't using Ford Mustangs with a 400+HP engine to commit violent crimes. They might have an accident in one fleeing the scene of a crime, but the didn't use an automobile to commit the crime. Once the criminals start using automobiles as weapons then you have my permission to buy antitank weapons to defeat that threat to defend your family and home. I can even show you how to fire them remotely to engage a target using an explosive charge via both electrical and non-electrical firing devices should the need arise to fire more than one antitank weapon simultaneously for a volley fire when you have more shoulder fired antitank missiles than you have shoulders. Or maybe you would prefer a series of improvised platter charges? As a matter of fact, I love to go to the range and just blow crap up because it is so much fun. But, unfortunately the government restricts my ability to purchase and use explosives for my own personal enjoyment. Can you believe that BS in a free country? Talk about your slippery slope!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.