Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7679
Default Re: AJ should have a big game

Andy does work through his progressions and does spread the ball around - that meme was debunked in an earlier thread.

Sorry he didn't come from a big enough school and does not have a prototypical NFL build, he is a good QB nonetheless.

As to AJ, he is going to draw a lot of defenders so the onus is on Gresham and Marvin Jones - they need to CATCH THE BALL and run their routes correctly. If they do then the defense will be punished for over defending AJ.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

He should, but I don't have the confidence in him like I did CJ to go out there and dominate a like he did. AJ needs to take it one step further, Andy could have made some better throws throughout the season when he was open too, but I hope they can hook up early and often.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4194

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
Agreed. Dalton is the key. He has had a true sophomore slump. He isn't as accurate, quick, or decisive with his throws. He fixates on one guy and doesn't even look for other guys. He doesn't go through his progressions.

If Dalton has another brain fart game - Lewis should Think about benching Dalton.
Is this a joke? A true sophomore slump? He had no blocking to speak of against Philly and 8 HUGE DROPS against Dallas. Marvin Jones lets a ball go off his fasemask to be an INT in San Diego. All this, yet Dalton's QB rating is nearly 90, has a top 5 TD number, and has been one of the best in the game in the fourth quarter?

Give me a break. He has not been perfect, but he is easily a top 10 QB in this league and is playing with a ton of first and second year players. I think after Sunday, you will owe him a huge apology.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
This.

Doubling AJ will also open up the running game, underneath routes to Hawkins and Gresham, and we may see Jones be able to take advantage of a lot of one on one situations. AJ could go all game without catching a pass if it opens up the rest of the offense as far as I'm concerned.

I also think without Taylor in, and hopefully Lewis out as well, there will need to be a true double on AJ and not just a lot of cloud coverage like last game.

Right now their whole secondary is looking incredibly weak. If Cincinnati can't exploit this game, then the Bengals do not deserve the playoffs. Plain and simple, on paper, this should be a gimme on many levels.
Big key to winning sunday IMO
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Andy does work through his progressions and does spread the ball around - that meme was debunked in an earlier thread.

Sorry he didn't come from a big enough school and does not have a prototypical NFL build, he is a good QB nonetheless.

As to AJ, he is going to draw a lot of defenders so the onus is on Gresham and Marvin Jones - they need to CATCH THE BALL and run their routes correctly. If they do then the defense will be punished for over defending AJ.
Exactly, Lebeau defense is always take away the number 1 WR and stop the run. Which means the #2 and #3 pass catchers (TE or WR) needs to step it up. Dallas utilized Witten Austin and Bryant with a strong running game and that short speedy Harris kept the Defense guessing. We should be able to do the same thing. Gresham and Jones with a strong running game and Hawkins to keep the D guessing with Green taking advantage on the shots he does receive.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2767

If AJ is to have a good game, Dalton must have one as well. Lately, Dalton has been inconsistent at best.

Which Dalton will show up this week?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1950

gresham and charles will be the diffference maker their a mtachup problem with their backers. plus hawkins is faster than anyone on their defense. the short crosses to him should be open. they bring a safety down to help burn them over the top with aj.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

They may not have their #2 CB. If Lewis can't play then it will be a Nickle CB on Green with Safety help.

Green will beat that most of the time. It also means Jones will be against the #4 CB. That should mean it looks like Marvin Jones in preseason all over again.

Gresham will be facing a LB, or safety with no help.

Hawkins maybe facing a Dime CB on every play. Hwkins should beat a Dime/#5 CB like a drum.

To make up for the issues at CB, LeBeau will bring all the pressure he can. We can expect blitz after blitz, and stunts up front.

I suggest we send 1 WR deep, if we have time to hit him great, but if not the other routes need to be quick short routes. I also suggest using a WR to clear out an area for either TE, and whoever is in a RB.

If they are going with CBs and Safties playing off, I suggest some quick hitting runs. Take the 5+ yards a carry all day, till LeBeau adjust, then go back to burning them on pass plays.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2926

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
Agreed. Dalton is the key. He has had a true sophomore slump. He isn't as accurate, quick, or decisive with his throws. He fixates on one guy and doesn't even look for other guys. He doesn't go through his progressions.

If Dalton has another brain fart game - Lewis should Think about benching Dalton.
How is this in any way a "true sophomore slump????"
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...12/andy-dalton

POSITIVES
Dalton has more TDs.
Dalton is on pace for more yards.
Dalton is on pace for more completions.
Dalton has a higher completion percentage.
Dalton has a higher per-completion average.
Dalton has a higher passer rating.
Dalton has more rushing TDs.
Dalton has more rushing first downs.
Dalton has fewer fumbles.
Team has a higher rushing average per game.
Cincy has the exact same record at this point in the season.
Again has a winning road record.
And has improved on the number of wins in the second half of the season.

NEGATIVES
Dalton has just one more INT.
Dalton's longest pass isn't nearly as long.
Dalton has been sacked more often (partly the OL's fault)
One fewer division win this year.
Not as many wins in the first half of the season.

...Dalton isn't perfect, and still needs to improve especially on the deep ball and avoiding sacks, but if these stats show a "slump" then 2013 is going to be INCREDIBLE!

Last edited by fumetti; 12-21-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5654

Man Jaworski is talking about how good Dalton is on Mike & Mike right now.......good thing he is slumping
Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 60

one thing to beat the double team is come up with new routes that aren't on tape...because that is how teams take out their best wr option...well, be one step ahead and implement a couple new tweaks in their routes for this sunday...guess we'll see if they feel the same.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

My prediction: BJGE and AJ Green for 100 yd this game.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
My prediction: BJGE and AJ Green for 100 yd this game.
I hope you are right!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4497

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
How is this in any way a "true sophomore slump????"
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...12/andy-dalton

POSITIVES
Dalton has more TDs.
Dalton is on pace for more yards.
Dalton is on pace for more completions.
Dalton has a higher completion percentage.
Dalton has a higher per-completion average.
Dalton has a higher passer rating.
Dalton has more rushing TDs.
Dalton has more rushing first downs.
Dalton has fewer fumbles.
Team has a higher rushing average per game.
Cincy has the exact same record at this point in the season.
Again has a winning road record.
And has improved on the number of wins in the second half of the season.

NEGATIVES
Dalton has just one more INT.
Dalton's longest pass isn't nearly as long.
Dalton has been sacked more often (partly the OL's fault)
One fewer division win this year.
Not as many wins in the first half of the season.

...Dalton isn't perfect, and still needs to improve especially on the deep ball and avoiding sacks, but if these stats show a "slump" then 2013 is going to be INCREDIBLE!
Just the bold.... I would like to add yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9429

I spent some time this week watching a replay of the first Pitt game from earlier this season on NFL rewind. They have a feature where you can see the coaches tape of the game ... the nice wide-angle overhead shots which show the defensive formations clearly. I gotta say after watching that ... AJ was single-covered and open A LOT in that game. No way he should have been held to 1 catch.

Andy did not have a great game in terms of pulling the trigger when AJ was one-on-one (which was more often than you'd think) and sometimes the play designs were just not very good. For example, there's one play where AJ is in single coverage, with Taylor lined up 10 yards off him and a single safety deep in the middle of the field. Easy completion outside to AJ, right? Well, unfortunately, Gresham is on the same side of the field as AJ and runs a shallow out route which has the effect of pulling the Pitt LB who covers him right underneath Green, blocking any potential throwing lane. If Gresham's route is over the middle then Taylor is the only defender within 10 yards of AJ with lots of open field around him after the ball is snapped.

Anyways ... point is that after watching that game again, it is clear that Pitt did not shut AJ down in the first meeting. The Bengals shut AJ down themselves.

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 12-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
If 62.5% completion 3,313 yds 26tds and 14 ints with a rating of 89.4 is a sophomore slump then I am fine with that. Have you looked at the numbers of guys like Eli, Ben, Flacco, or any other starting decent QB in the NFL in their first two years? In Dalton's first two years he has done better than basically all of them. You guys really amaze me sometimes.
Last QB in the NFL to throw over 3,000 yards in his first two seasons....

...Peyton Manning.

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 32

Just curious has anyone in the msg board played in the Nfl???I've never in my life read so much crap in my life.If your going to support a team do it with pride ..do it with heart.Not to be a arse and knock a team for stuff that you claim to be as facts.Silly rabbit bandwagons are for PATS fans.Who Dey from tha "ville"Ride or die with the Black and Orange,Even though they picked "colts vs Chiefs" over the game I'll be tuned in on the dial Rooting on the Bengals,All streaks are meant to be broken Dalton will be 1-6 against the Steelers and Rat birds.G-men win on sunday ,Bengals win over the Ravens Then host the Colts in the Wildcard game and get that much needed Playoff win we ALL desire .WHO DEY See-ya guys on the Second Sat of the new year .
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42863

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeBowski View Post
Just curious has anyone in the msg board played in the Nfl???I've never in my life read so much crap in my life.If your going to support a team do it with pride ..do it with heart.Not to be a arse and knock a team for stuff that you claim to be as facts.Silly rabbit bandwagons are for PATS fans.Who Dey from tha "ville"Ride or die with the Black and Orange,Even though they picked "colts vs Chiefs" over the game I'll be tuned in on the dial Rooting on the Bengals,All streaks are meant to be broken Dalton will be 1-6 against the Steelers and Rat birds.G-men win on sunday ,Bengals win over the Ravens Then host the Colts in the Wildcard game and get that much needed Playoff win we ALL desire .WHO DEY See-ya guys on the Second Sat of the new year .
Love the intensity, but that is not an option
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9429

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Love the intensity, but that is not an option
It is. If we win the division as he outlined and the Colts beat the Chiefs then we'd host the Colts in the playoffs.