Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Burma's Final pre-combine mock

Here is my last mock prior to the combine. I projected 2 moderate free agent signings and a healthy re-signing of our own players. 1 trade is included which I feel given our position in the draft and the players available there would be likely. Nothing “outside of the box” or radical. Just an attempt to meet team needs with the BPA.

Free Agent signings:

Felix Jones, RB
Aaron Curry, OLB

Re-sign:
Andre Smith, MJ (Franchised), Howard, Gilberry, Adam Jones, Gradkowski, Hawkins, Skuta

Trade:
Jacksonville trades their 2nd, 34th overall, and their 3rd , 66th overall. They move up to our @#24/26 slot and select WR. Justin Hunter to pair with their new QB Tyler Wilson.

Draft:

2a. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

I don’t think MJ is going to re-up with us and we have to franchise him. Montgomery is his replacement and is given a year to get acclimated to Zimmer’s system before becoming the starter next year.

2b. Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

We re-sign Rey to a 1 year deal and a short leash. Ogletree offers everything Rey doesn’t leadership, coverage skills, instincts, and quick reaction.

2c. Robert Woods, WR, USC

Sanu looks to have promise, but Woods is too great a talent to pass up at this point. A nagging injury and erratic play from Barkley caus this former 1st round prospect to fall.

3. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

Bernard is a Lion, Lacy is a Jet. Ball is the best back on the board at this point. Power, nimbleness, and vision paired with average speed. Great value pick and perfect complement to the change of pace back Felix Jones.

3b. Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia

Dynamic playmaker. Incredible instincts for the ball. Rambo allows us to move Nelson to SS where he coverage skills can be utilized, but also allowing him to play closer to the line and give Zimmer more pressure options.

4. Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin

Boling and Zeitler look to the be good as the starters. Wagner provides much needed depth to our o-line which is sorely lacking.

5. Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia

Nelson is now the SS, but depth behind him is abysmal. Williams offers insurance incase Nelson breaks down. Or his 3.8mil and 4.1 mill salary in 2014, 2015 prove too be to costly.

6a. Michael Williams, TE Alabama

Big, powerful blocking tight end with deceptively soft hands. Provides that in line blocker we have been missing since Reggie Kelly was here and hopefully allows us to quit relying on Roland.

6b. Branden Smith, CB, Georgia

CB depth.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 12-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678
Default Re: Burma's Final pre-combine mock

It's a great draft, but you have a lot of guys there that are projected much higher.

Montgomery will be a first round pick. He will be a top 20 pick. Pass rushers don't slide in the draft.

Ogletree may be there in the 2nd, but I doubt it.

Woods also carries a first round grade.

Like I said, it's a great looking draft, but I would be shocked if those guys are available in the slots where you have them going.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
It's a great draft, but you have a lot of guys there that are projected much higher.

Montgomery will be a first round pick. He will be a top 20 pick. Pass rushers don't slide in the draft.

Like I said, it's a great looking draft, but I would be shocked if those guys are available in the slots where you have them going.

Agree.

I also don't like trading out of the first round. Unless it is from 32 anyway.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

For whatever reason Montgomery seems to be left out of a lot of the first round projections. I agree he is a first round talent, but as of now, he looks to be late first/early second.

Woods is also being discredited for the reasons i mentioned above. I have even seen him rated as the 6th best receiver in this class (which is non sense).
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
For whatever reason Montgomery seems to be left out of a lot of the first round projections. I agree he is a first round talent, but as of now, he looks to be late first/early second.

Woods is also being discredited for the reasons i mentioned above. I have even seen him rated as the 6th best receiver in this class (which is non sense).
Like I said, I love the draft you put together, but when rubber meets the road, pass rushers always go earlier then projected. I would be shocked to see him in the 2nd round.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Like I said, I love the draft you put together, but when rubber meets the road, pass rushers always go earlier then projected. I would be shocked to see him in the 2nd round.
Okafor and Ansah will probably be there at the top of 2 I would guess. If Montgomery is gone (which is very likely) I would prefer Ansah, then Oakafor.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

I don't know if Jacksonville would trade up to get a WR. Blackmon has played decent enough to get his chance with a new QB. Cecil Shorts is their most productive WR and should stick around. Laurent Robinson played decently well when healthy. If anything, they may be in the market for a RB, as MJD has stated he has no interest in re-signing with the team. But trading up may be good for them if someone like Gio Bernard boosts into the first based on the combine.

I would only try and re-sign Maualuga as insurance in case we can't get Ogletree. Or Khaseem Greene and move Burfict to middle.

The Aaron Curry pickup is very fitting considering Mike Brown (and Marvin?) tries to get a former first-round pick and turn them into a redemption project. I wonder if he would/could be that SAM that we have been missing since Pollack went down and retired.

Felix Jones is an intriguing pickup as he may be the type of RB to be that change of pace that we need to split time with BJGE. Ball seems to be BJGE's eventual replacement to me. But I can never have confidence in Felix Jones being any type of consistent...or healthy...

Overall though, I can see this happening other than the trade up for JAX to get a WR. Like I said, could even make sense if they wanna get their choice of RB though.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I don't know if Jacksonville would trade up to get a WR. Blackmon has played decent enough to get his chance with a new QB. Cecil Shorts is their most productive WR and should stick around. Laurent Robinson played decently well when healthy. If anything, they may be in the market for a RB, as MJD has stated he has no interest in re-signing with the team. But trading up may be good for them if someone like Gio Bernard boosts into the first based on the combine.
I was thinking about the possibility of MJD being shipped off for a 2nd or 3rd round prospect. That would allow the Jags to trade up and target either Hunter to pair with Blackmon or Bernard to replace MJD and still have enough picks to feel ok with trading up. Either way I think they rebuild the offense first since they need a flashy,young, high scoring offense to move tickets. A WR core of Blackmon, Hunter and Shorts in the slot would give Wilson a very good cast to work with.

Quote:
I would only try and re-sign Maualuga as insurance in case we can't get Ogletree. Or Khaseem Greene and move Burfict to middle.
I agree. Rey on a 1 year deal would be ideal. Give Ogletree time to get his feet wet, and allow Rey to either prove himself for a new contract else where. Or to be used as trade fodder in case some contender loses their LB before the trade deadline.

Quote:
The Aaron Curry pickup is very fitting considering Mike Brown (and Marvin?) tries to get a former first-round pick and turn them into a redemption project. I wonder if he would/could be that SAM that we have been missing since Pollack went down and retired.
I think so as well. His coverage is suspect at best so i doubt its Will. But this has Mike Brown written all over it.

Quote:
Felix Jones is an intriguing pickup as he may be the type of RB to be that change of pace that we need to split time with BJGE. Ball seems to be BJGE's eventual replacement to me. But I can never have confidence in Felix Jones being any type of consistent...or healthy...
Jones needs a change of scenery. I don't trust him at all, but in the limited carry CoP back role, maybe 3 to 5 touches a game I am hopeful he can stay healthy. Plus Mike really seems to enjoy taking Dallas cast offs and squeezing something from them. I think its his way of showing the big market, Jerry Jones, that Mike is a better football mind.