Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225
Default Martial Law in Arkansas

http://www.naturalnews.com/038428_po...e_streets.html

Soon it will be in your town....especially when you have no guns to defend yourself.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8135
Default Re: Martial Law in Arkansas

Yeah, this isn't good, not good at all.

This is against the law and violates our rights as a citizen of the United States. If this goes to court and it's found legal, that is the end of the United States as we know it and there will be civil war.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11303

That'll end well.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

You guys are right....This isn't talked about on the news because they don't want people to know, they want it slid under the rug so they can enforce it...People will have a curfew and they say its to help stop the crime which is BS. Not only are they enforcing this, just wait for the military drones monitoring the citizens that will soon be in our skies...It's all a slow process just to get the people broke into believing that this is "Freedom"
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16129
bengals Re: Martial Law in Arkansas

I wonder if this is what all of our patriotic" citizens are referring to when they explain that our military is fighting to protect our precious freedoms?

Never understood that one???

Can't wait to read Fred's take on this.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post

Soon it will be in your town....especially when you have no guns to defend yourself.
Defend ourselves from what exactly? If the government wants to use the military to take over (they don't), some people with guns aren't going to stop them. Unless of course the people also have drones, tanks, jets, smart bombs and nukes.

I'm also much more interested in this article from the surely reputable site.
http://www.naturalnews.com/038429_he...ema_detox.html
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8135

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
Defend ourselves from what exactly? If the government wants to use the military to take over (they don't), some people with guns aren't going to stop them. Unless of course the people also have drones, tanks, jets, smart bombs and nukes.

I'm also much more interested in this article from the surely reputable site.
http://www.naturalnews.com/038429_he...ema_detox.html
Here's the thing with this argument. The military is completely volunteer and made up of US Citizens. I can pretty much gaurentee more than 75% of those told to go in and kill American citizens because the US government is taking away the rights of the citizen will side with the American people.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Here's the thing with this argument. The military is completely volunteer and made up of US Citizens. I can pretty much gaurentee more than 75% of those told to go in and kill American citizens because the US government is taking away the rights of the citizen will side with the American people.

Just my opinion.
I agree that most people in the military would just bolt in that situation, as they should. But even then the government would have such an advantage in power and arms I don't think it would matter at all. The gov't could also just bring in mercenaries from other counties and let them go wild with the weapons stash. But to be completely honest, I think the entire scenario is so outlandish that it's not worth worrying about in the first place.

Last edited by blt4584; 12-22-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree that most people in the military would just bolt in that situation, as they should. But even then the government would have such an advantage in power and arms I don't think it would matter at all. I also think it's so outlandish that it's not worth worrying about in the first place.

When your pulled over, or stopped on the street by the police and asked about what your doing out by the police your going to be okay with it?...Or when they say be in your homes at a certain curfew your going to agree?...We are going to have no freedom at all eventually because were being slowly broke into this...It has to stop before things get taken to far....& i think this is definetly something people should be worried about.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
When your pulled over, or stopped on the street by the police and asked about what your doing out by the police your going to be okay with it?...Or when they say be in your homes at a certain curfew your going to agree?...We are going to have no freedom at all eventually because were being slowly broke into this...It has to stop before things get taken to far....& i think this is definetly something people should be worried about.
Why do you think this is happening? Honest question.

I think some right have been taken away and denied to certain groups, but I haven't seen anything that even makes me remotely fear about some grand takeover.

Last edited by blt4584; 12-22-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Why do you think this is happening? Honest question.

I think some right have been taken away and denied to certain groups, but I haven't seen anything that even makes me remotely fear about some grand takeover.

They say it's to reduce crime, but that's an excuse to get people to buy into the idea...This is the first place to be under "martial law" & it's basically opening a can of worms to be able to do stuff like that and it will soon be in every state. The governement wants control over the people...The bible speaks of these things, christian or not.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
They say it's to reduce crime, but that's an excuse to get people to buy into the idea...This is the first place to be under "martial law" & it's basically opening a can of worms to be able to do stuff like that and it will soon be in every state. The governement wants control over the people...The bible speaks of these things, christian or not.
Seems more like the people of Paragould elected a paranoid idiot to be mayor rather than something that is going to be sweeping the country. I do wonder if it's an election year there.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3465

While I won't get out my tinfoil hat quite yet....it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edit: Found this update from perhaps a more......neutral.....source: http://www.kait8.com/story/20389250/...aw-speculation.

Last edited by CKWI88; 12-22-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member

You'll see.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 48332

That article takes some creative liberties.

From what I understand, the PD is increasing foot patrols in high crime hours. Some will be armed with patrol rifles (AR-15s) and during early morning hours they will ask anyone in the rough parts to identify themselves.

While I'm not thrilled with the indentifying part, what's wrong with increasing patrols in high crime areas? Is that not one of the biggest complaints people haveó where's one when you need one? Would you rather have them out writing speeding tickets or patroling in parts of the town where they might be needed to prevent injury?

Stop the knee jerk "they're trying to take my rocket launcher!" reaction and propoganda. This has nothing to do with gun rights and it isn't martial law. They aren't occupying people's homes and pillaging women. Personally, if I lived in Paragould near one of those areas, I'd be happy to have increased protection.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5846

Having been robbed at gunpoint in over the Rhine years ago, I think that thise types of crimes are mostly crimes of opportunity. If you light streets better and there were more beat cops around, it would definately deter.this type of crime.

I still frequent downtown. If any of you haven't been downtown in years, you should check it out. It's really impressive how much OTR has.been turned around from where it was 10 years ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
That article takes some creative liberties.

From what I understand, the PD is increasing foot patrols in high crime hours. Some will be armed with patrol rifles (AR-15s) and during early morning hours they will ask anyone in the rough parts to identify themselves.

While I'm not thrilled with the indentifying part, what's wrong with increasing patrols in high crime areas? Is that not one of the biggest complaints people haveó where's one when you need one? Would you rather have them out writing speeding tickets or patroling in parts of the town where they might be needed to prevent injury?

Stop the knee jerk "they're trying to take my rocket launcher!" reaction and propoganda. This has nothing to do with gun rights and it isn't martial law. They aren't occupying people's homes and pillaging women. Personally, if I lived in Paragould near one of those areas, I'd be happy to have increased protection.
if it's not martial law then why when asked to compare the differences between martial law and what they will be doing chief stoval said "I don't know that there's ever been a difference"?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21267

Increasing footpatrols, fantastic. Increasing the show of force by the police in a high crime area, sort of behind it, but need to define high crime area. Once everything drops to a certain level, will the patrols lessen, or simply move to the new "high crime" area as crime levels have dropped?

Asking for ID from a citizen doing nothing wrong is crossing the line in a big way. Another fine example of people willing to give away their freedoms for a false sense of security.

Insane that people are willing to give away so much for so little...
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Increasing footpatrols, fantastic. Increasing the show of force by the police in a high crime area, sort of behind it, but need to define high crime area. Once everything drops to a certain level, will the patrols lessen, or simply move to the new "high crime" area as crime levels have dropped?

Asking for ID from a citizen doing nothing wrong is crossing the line in a big way. Another fine example of people willing to give away their freedoms for a false sense of security.

Insane that people are willing to give away so much for so little...
Papers, please?

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 88834

Quote:

This article is from 2008:

Quote:
As a consequence, Mayor James Valley on Thursday called for a lockdown of the roughly 10-block neighborhood northwest of City Hall, in what was formerly West Helena.

No loitering. No walking the streets. "No hanging out."

On Thursday night, 18-20 police officers carrying M-16 rifles, shotguns and night-vision scopes saturated the "cur-1 few zone" for 5/2 hours, arresting about eight people and confiscating drugs and loaded weapons, police said.

"It's something akin to martial law in that particular area," Valley said. "It got to the point where somebody was going to get seriously hurt or killed if we didn't do something."

Residents in the lock down area have mixed feelings about the mayor's executive order, which Valley said he would keep in place until the City Council can come up with a long-term plan at its Aug. 19 meeting. Some residents like the police presence. Others call it overwhelming. The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas calls it unconstitutional. "In a way, I like it because they shot up my house, too," said Oliver of 234 Second St. "And in a way, I don't like it because a few minutes ago I had to walk to the store and the police stopped me and asked me what I was doing and where I was going."
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Arkans...down_0812.html

This one's from 1868:

Governor Clayton declares martial law in large parts of Arkansas
http://historyengine.richmond.edu/episodes/view/177

There has been no martial law in my town to date and no one has tried to take anyone's legally obtained guns either. But I'll let you know...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49649

This is not Martial Law, no matter what the yokel in this story thinks. Also it is nothing to get worried about because it will not be spreading unchecked across the country.

The courts will most likely uphold this type of patrol if it really is a high crime zone, but it sounds like this is a pretty safe town.

People who act like any limits on our freedoms is the first step toward facism don't realize that all of our rights have been limited for a couple of hundred years. So far the system has worked to keep the limits on our freedoms as small as needed. I have no reason to believe the system is broken now. The same paranoid fringe have been signing this same "slippery slope" song ever since the country started, but the have never been right yet.

Last edited by fredtoast; 12-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 48332

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorian69 View Post
if it's not martial law then why when asked to compare the differences between martial law and what they will be doing chief stoval said "I don't know that there's ever been a difference"?
Link?

I didn't see that in the article linked above and I haven't read that ina half dozen other articles I've read about it.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 88834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
Link?

I didn't see that in the article linked above and I haven't read that ina half dozen other articles I've read about it.
Quote:
Stovall said he did not consult an attorney before announcing his plans to combat crime. He even remained undaunted when comparing his proposed tactics with martial law, explaining that "I don't know that there's ever been a difference" between his proposals and martial law.
http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/a...1511092932.txt
(paragraph 14)

This is before he clarified his statements (re: completely changed his stance in an article dated a week later) though.

Quote:
"Necessarily the increase in officers will increase the number of police-citizen encounters; these encounters, however, will be done within the bounds of the Constitution."
http://www.paragoulddailypress.com/a...a986941975.txt
(end paragraph 5)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17505

The author is an idiot. How he can connect Adolph Hitler AND Joseph Stalin with Hugo Chavez shows me he is a fool.