Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23772
bengals Re: Cosell on Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
While Greg Cosell is correct when he says Andy Dalton is making occasional bad throws and he is leaving points on the field, Cosell is ignoring several factors here.

1. Not only is Andy Dalton only a second year quarterback, he is also teamed up with a second year offensive coordinator.

2. Since Mohamed Sanu went down, 55% of Andy's passes have been thrown to AJ Green and Jermaine Gresham whereas prior to that point, only 46% of Andy's passes were thrown to AJ and Jermaine. So, basically Andy has two receivers to choose from at this point because Marvin Jones is not consistent yet and, let's face it, I think Jay Gruden doesn't know better than to play Andrew Hawkins more.

3. Coverage is rolled heavily to AJ Green's side of the field. If Greg Cosell doesn't understand how that makes a quarterback try to steer the ball into tight coverages and maybe even throw a pick or two, he might be better suited to analyzing figure skating.

4. The offensive line has had a couple bad weeks. They continue to run block well but the pass blocking could stand some help. Rotating centers has to stop: It's stupid. There, I said it!

5. With the run game improving, it takes pressure from Andy to pass so he can afford to take a few shots downfield here and there knowing that if the pass isn't caught, a couple run plays will yield a first down.

Greg Cosell watches football the way most people do: By isolating a player or two at a time. You can't do that. This is actually unfair to the players under scrutiny because it takes eleven players to mess up on pass plays, not just one player. Cosell needs to reverse his recto-cranial inversion and realize passes are a team effort, not just an act between the quarterback and receiver.
Absolute best and most accurate post in this thread.

Kudos!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2841
Default Re: Cosell on Dalton

I have no idea how anyone can get down on Dalton because of the Eagles game. The o line stunk and was constantly getting fooled on stunts and missing blocking assignments.

Keep in mind it was a Thursday night game. We have had a lot of time to game plan and watch Steeler film.

Maybe Andy needs more experience understanding what is coming at hhim before the snap or hitting the reciever who is 1v1 under pressure but that is all about getting more experience.

Losing Sanu also has been a big factor. I hope that we use more 2 tight end sets as I think Charles on the field with Gresham will create match-up problems for Steelers D.

If we can run tomorrow we will win the game. Law Firm gets 100 yeards and bengals are in playoffs.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
His last 3 games have been pretty bad. That said, I realize that not all of it can be pinned on him. Losing Sanu hurt big time. He's dealing with a center rotation that, at best, is a slight distraction for him. We've faced some teams with speed rushers and our line hasn't handled it well.

Dalton needs to step up, but the team also needs to help Dalton. It was ridiculous that we didn't sign a vet receiver at some point. Sanu/Jones weren't ready and Binns/Tate were/are garbage. Give 2005 CP9 Binns/Tate and Hawkins instead of Housh and Henry and I bet his performance would've suffered too.

Basically, I defend Dalton because I saw this coming when we failed to properly address WR in the offseason. The Bengals' brass should've learned their lesson when they drafted Simpson/Caldwell. Those mid-round receiver usually need time to develop (if they develop at all). We left Dalton (and Green) hanging when we didn't bring in a vet.
I must spread some REP before giving it to Shake n Blake.

The only thing I'd add is that he still has 2 legitimate Pro Bowl Receiver/TE in Green and Gresh and that should suffice to be a solid QB in my opinion.

Last edited by CornerBlitz; 12-22-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6874

I'm dubious about Gresham. He currently has the second highest dropped ball ratio in football per PFF (they have him dropping the catchable ball 14% of the time). Add in some fumbles and his propensity to draw holding flags and I have a hard time calling him Pro Bowl.

I am also in the group that says we screwed the pooch when we did not bring in a veteran possession receiver in the offseason. One could have been had pretty easily that fit what we needed - a big guy who hangs on to the ball.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
I care, is that alright with you?
I care too. Do you notice a pattern here. OSUfan never has an opinion only follows posts to bash. I didn't notice this until he went after you brother. Keep coming with your thoughts there are thousands of members here that ARE interested in diversified opinions.

Last edited by RhodeIslandFan; 12-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30357

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerBlitz View Post
I must spread some REP before giving it to Shake n Blake.

The only thing I'd add is that he still has 2 legitimate Pro Bowl Receiver/TE in Green and Gresh and that should suffice to be a solid QB in my opinion.
Well I think he has been a solid QB. If we want better, he needs more targets. The only good QB I can think of that has only one good WR and a TE is Houston, but they have a 2nd TE that has 30+ catches and their RBs play a pretty big role in the passing game as well.

Aaron Rodgers: Jennings, Nelson, James Jones, Cobb, Finley
Tom Brady: Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez
Matt Ryan: White, Julio Jones, Gonzalez
Eli: Nicks, Cruz, Martellus Bennett
Brees: Colston, Meachem, Henderson, Jimmy Graham
Fatty: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emanuel Sanders, Plax, Heath Miller
Romo: Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Kevin Ogletree, Jason Witten

Would you take our group (AJ, Tate, Jones, Hawk, Gresham) over any of those groups? I wouldn't. And what's funny is that Dalton is having a season that's on par with what some of those QBs are doing.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4952

Quote:
Well I think he has been a solid QB. If we want better, he needs more targets. The only good QB I can think of that has only one good WR and a TE is Houston, but they have a 2nd TE that has 30+ catches and their RBs play a pretty big role in the passing game as well.

Would you take our group (AJ, Tate, Jones, Hawk, Gresham) over any of those groups? I wouldn't. And what's funny is that Dalton is having a season that's on par with what some of those QBs are doing.
Great pounts!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23772
bengals Re: Cosell on Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIslandFan View Post
I care too. Do you notice a pattern here. OSUfan never has an opinion only follows posts to bash. I didn't notice this until he went after you brother. Keep coming with your thoughts there are thousands of members here that ARE interested in diversified opinions.
Well you must not be around much then because I have no problem stating my opinion.

I as well have no problem challenging those that have nothing but negative to post on the boards.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37221

Quote:

Meachem isn't with the Saints anymore I don't believe. Lance Moore is their guy now, as much as he can be, they just continue to spread it around a lot.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5479

Quote:
Originally Posted by applemac2 View Post
Same old crappy bengals . Fire marvin
Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3275

What is the point of bumping this thread? Cosell was right in regards to the end of last season. Dalton was playing like complete and utter crap. He has had a solid 1st game but keep in mind, his whole career has been defined by inconsistent play so far. Nonetheless it is a good start for him.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29352

Quote:
Originally Posted by applemac2 View Post
Same old crappy bengals . Fire marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerBlitz View Post
What is the point of bumping this thread? Cosell was right in regards to the end of last season. Dalton was playing like complete and utter crap. He has had a solid 1st game but keep in mind, his whole career has been defined by inconsistent play so far. Nonetheless it is a good start for him.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Spicyweiner View Post
Wait for it.

Wait for it.

That was a gimme.