Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36198
Default Looking back at Bengals in big games in Dec & Jan

This will make or break the Bengals... So let's look back at how the Bengals handle big games in December.

2011 season - Steelers and Ravens both beat Bengals in final weeks of season. Bengals still squeak into the playoffs, only to be embarrassed by the Texans.

2010 season - Steelers and Ravens both beat Bengals in final weeks of season. Bengals were pretty pathetic this season in general.

2009 season - Bengals lose back to back games against NY Jets to finish the season, including one shutout loss in the regular season and another loss in the first game of the playoffs.

2008 season - No big games. No playoff hopes. They were pathetic that year.

2007 season - No big games. No playoff hopes. They ****** that year.

2006 season - Bengals were 8-5 going into week 15. Then totally cracked under pressure. First the Colts kicked their ***. Then in week 16 on Christmas Eve, the Bengals still could have clinched a playoff spot against the Broncos, but a bad snap and missed extra point in the final seconds of the game dropped them to 8-7. Then in week 17, Tory James got burned by Ben-Holmes on a 67-yard TD pass that was the nail in the coffin for the Bungles.

2005 season - 2 losses at end of a good season, then tragedy... would have been a super bowl season.

2004 - No big games this year. They were 6-8 at this point in 2004.

2003 - Bengals won four straight games to go to 7-5, then got destroyed by the Ravens in week 14, and finished 8-8, destroying any playoff hopes.

2002 - No big games. Worst team in the NFL.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36198
Default Re: Looking back at Bengals in big games in Dec & Jan

So if past performance is any indication, you will probably lose if you bet on the bengals this week and next week.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 22818

So....no hope?

When has the odds ever been in favor for the Bengals (except 2005)?
I guess this team just needs to keep developing through the major changes...when this team finally finishes all the development, gets hungry, feels the need to win, starts picking on the older brother, or maybe becomes the bully of the AFC North...attitude.
Fluff so hard all the dudes wanna find me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal John View Post
My favorite is balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Ask him if you could tag team.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1791

Nothing is relevant here except the team name.

2002 Dicky Lebeau was head coach

2003 Marvin first year, Kitna starting QB

2004 Carsons first full season

2005 Carson getting leg busted up in playoff

2006-2010 Palmer, Ocho, Henry, TJ, and worst of all TO. Not bad but can't compare egos to team today.

This team? Above average, and improving, offense. Number 6-rated defense, number 1 in sacks. Best WR in NFL, best defensive line in NFL, 4 100-yd rushing games in the past 5-games by a RB. ZERO prima donnas! Excellent OC and DC at the same time.

I understand your point, but what if history always stated something could never happen. No man on the moon, no air travel at all, no womans right to vote, no blacks right to vote.

Things change and they are going to change this Sunday!

I'm surprised how afraid of the Steelers some are here. They are nothing! Yeah, they were in the past, but this year? If it wasn't the Steelers would you be afraid of a team that lost to the Raiders?

The past is the past, and everyone knows not to focus on it. It's like driving a car, if you always look behind you will crash and burn, but if you look forward you will get to your destination.

BTW a pet peave I have. No Bengals fan, no matter now bad the team is, should use the term "Bungals". We all hate it when the media does it, so lets not do it ourselves.

I was told that practicing makes perfect, then I was told that no one is perfect, so I stopped practicing - Stephen Wright
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20167

Your right Bone! Hopefully there will be a change, but yes, unfortunately you are correct and I fear the same. Our winning streak was against losing teams. Beating the Steelers is tough for us, but they too stink this year. So, there is a chance. Even if we make it to the playoffs, chances are it will be 1 and done again. I guess the bright spot is that we are in a position to change the flow of recent history. Lets pray they can do it, beat the odds, and change the future. Trust me when I say I have not bet any money on it
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 88

Past means nothing this week end, period.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7038

Trends are made to be broken.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Rep Points: 7078

This is the type of game that the Bengals typically lose and the Steelers typically win. I am not sure that this years team is ready to overcome "typical" just yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karp View Post
This is the type of game that the Bengals typically lose and the Steelers typically win. I am not sure that this years team is ready to overcome "typical" just yet.
With Andy Dalton playing typically inconsistant and Marvin Lewis being his typical self, i'm a bit nervous.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
With Andy Dalton playing typically inconsistant and Marvin Lewis being his typical self, i'm a bit nervous.
Typical
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18763

IMHO, each of contenders in the AFC North has lost games they should have won this year. That includes everyone but the Browns. None of them has won games they shouldn't have, except maybe us vs the Giants. It's just one of those kinds of years. Pitt and Balt have more of an excuse with their injuries.

Based on the past, we're doomed. I'm just not sure how much the past impacts this current roster. We'll have to see if they step up and play like they are capable of playing.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 24978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
With the Cincinnati defense playing amazingly well, I'm not nervous at all.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone77 View Post
So if past performance is any indication, you will probably lose if you bet on the bengals this week and next week.
Sometimes past performance is relevant, sometimes it isn't. You're listing seasons that happened when Andy and AJ were in high school. That doesn't strike me as relevant.

It used to be we couldn't win on the west coast or beat Buffalo or win a prime time game or win ugly. Those past performances have all been erased the past two seasons. This tells me anything can happen and every game is a story that is only written 'tween the white lines.

Don't know what will happen Sunday, but I do know what happened in '02 will have very little to do with it.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1846

i'll say it

there's always next year!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karp View Post
Hasn't this team spent a lot of the past two seasons burying a bunch of typical? Maybe this is the next one added to the list.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Hasn't this team spent a lot of the past two seasons burying a bunch of typical? Maybe this is the next one added to the list.
Beating the Steelers when it counts is a special kind of typical. I hope they pull it off, because this is the type of win that could really help swing the culture and heritage of this organization in a positive direction.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnglFn Forever View Post
Nothing is relevant here except the team name.
That and the fact that during his tenure Marvin Lewis led teams has been abysmal during the final quarter of the season. Lets face it fellas, any game that has been prefaced by 'This is the biggest game of Marvin Lewis' career' he's failed in. The Bengals have been beyond terrible in big games under Marv. Honestly, during his tenure what has been his biggest win in December/January?

Karp said it right, this is a game that the Bengals typically lose and the Steelers typically win. I think this would be a huge win for the franchise and for Marv/Dalton. It would signal that they have turned a corner. Pitt is beatable. I actually like the fact that the Bengals are on the road. I'm hoping for the best but I'd be lying if I said that I have a ton of confidence in a Marvin Lewis led team in Dec/Jan.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
That and the fact that during his tenure Marvin Lewis led teams has been abysmal during the final quarter of the season. Lets face it fellas, any game that has been prefaced by 'This is the biggest game of Marvin Lewis' career' he's failed in. The Bengals have been beyond terrible in big games under Marv. Honestly, during his tenure what has been his biggest win in December/January?

Karp said it right, this is a game that the Bengals typically lose and the Steelers typically win. I think this would be a huge win for the franchise and for Marv/Dalton. It would signal that they have turned a corner. Pitt is beatable. I actually like the fact that the Bengals are on the road. I'm hoping for the best but I'd be lying if I said that I have a ton of confidence in a Marvin Lewis led team in Dec/Jan.
Well, i'm not trying to be a Marvin defender here, but he has won some "big" December games, so it is possible.

Dec. 14, '03 vs SF. Won 41-38 against a 6-7 team that brought them back into a tie with Balt for the division lead after losing to the Ravens the previous week.

Dec. 4, '05 @ Pitt. Won 38-31 against a 7-4 team that they only had a one game lead over.

Nov. 30, '06 vs Balt. Won 13-7 against a 9-2 Ravens team that went on to finish 13-3. Ok, this one doesn't really qualify since it was 2 days before December but it was a "big" game as it took the Bengals to 7-5 and kept them in the playoff race. They followed this win with a win against a bad Oakland team in December to get to 8-5.

This week, last year, Bengals beat a .500 Cardinals team @home to stay in the playoff race.

Not a boat-load of success in December but in "big games" there is some success to look back to for anyone that thinks Marv's teams "never" win big games.

Another big one tomorrow and considering the circumstances, not counting playoff games, one of the biggest games to date. Pass or fail, as i type this, it's nice to be in this position after the prospects at 3-5 with the Giants and Broncos coming to town.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
Well, i'm not trying to be a Marvin defender here, but he has won some "big" December games, so it is possible.

Dec. 14, '03 vs SF. Won 41-38 against a 6-7 team that brought them back into a tie with Balt for the division lead after losing to the Ravens the previous week.

Dec. 4, '05 @ Pitt. Won 38-31 against a 7-4 team that they only had a one game lead over.

Nov. 30, '06 vs Balt. Won 13-7 against a 9-2 Ravens team that went on to finish 13-3. Ok, this one doesn't really qualify since it was 2 days before December but it was a "big" game as it took the Bengals to 7-5 and kept them in the playoff race. They followed this win with a win against a bad Oakland team in December to get to 8-5.

This week, last year, Bengals beat a .500 Cardinals team @home to stay in the playoff race.

Not a boat-load of success in December but in "big games" there is some success to look back to for anyone that thinks Marv's teams "never" win big games.

Another big one tomorrow and considering the circumstances, not counting playoff games, one of the biggest games to date. Pass or fail, as i type this, it's nice to be in this position after the prospects at 3-5 with the Giants and Broncos coming to town.
First of all I applaud you for doing some HW and listing these off. That being said I do have a couple issues here. I mean, 'big game' is semantics but personally I would not consider beating Kevin Kolb (or whatever crappy QB they were playing) and the Cardinals at home a big game. It was like the Eagles game last week. A game they needed to have, should've won and did win. Same goes for beating a sub .500 niners team.

I'd say the Balt win in 06 was the biggest of the bunch. That was a big game during the final quarter of the season and they took it. However, for being here for 10 years there isn't much here to hang your hat on. Overall, considering the length of his tenure, not an impressive list of accomplishments from Marv.

That being said it's history. he can write a new chapter starting tomorrow and that is exciting. I just have little faith in Marv as a big game coach. I've got family in Missouri, the 'show me state' I agree with that motto. Show me that you can win a game v. a playoff caliber team with everything on the line. Because at this point, he's only done it once. And that was 6 years ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:
First of all I applaud you for doing some HW and listing these off. That being said I do have a couple issues here. I mean, 'big game' is semantics but personally I would not consider beating Kevin Kolb (or whatever crappy QB they were playing) and the Cardinals at home a big game. It was like the Eagles game last week. A game they needed to have, should've won and did win. Same goes for beating a sub .500 niners team.

I'd say the Balt win in 06 was the biggest of the bunch. That was a big game during the final quarter of the season and they took it. However, for being here for 10 years there isn't much here to hang your hat on. Overall, considering the length of his tenure, not an impressive list of accomplishments from Marv.

That being said it's history. he can write a new chapter starting tomorrow and that is exciting. I just have little faith in Marv as a big game coach. I've got family in Missouri, the 'show me state' I agree with that motto. Show me that you can win a game v. a playoff caliber team with everything on the line. Because at this point, he's only done it once. And that was 6 years ago.
I agree, not a lot to hang your hat on. Marv has always seemed to be able to get a team into position but never quite break that door down. I agree about the new chapter too. It's right there in front of them. Let's see if they can knock it down this time.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7067
bengals Re: Looking back at Bengals in big games in Dec & Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey23 View Post
Trends are made to be broken.
Broke a lot of them in thirty years.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 349

as excited I am for this game, I am also prepared to once again be let down. I know I should be more positive, unfortunately I can't do anything about the way I feel...
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
That Cardinals game was a dangerous game at the time because the Cardinals managed to go from 1-6 to 7-7 and were one of the hottest teams in the league at that point and between their 2nd half last year and their 4-0 start this year, they managed to have an 11-2 run over 13 games