Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188
Default Giovani Bernard RB North Carolina

The more I watch this kid, the more I come away impressed. Could he be our answer at RB? Could this be our "Doug Martin" that we missed out on this year?

http://youtu.be/VTpmzcGPupM
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3614
Default Re: Giovani Bernard RB North Carolina

I would not mind Bernard. I prefer Gillislee.

Last edited by goalpost; 12-21-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3073

Really like this kid and the return skills would be welcome. I also like his catching ability.
I was reading that he has strong durablity concerns, missed two games this year and had to leave several other.
Top RB in the draft will be between he and Lacy. I haven't heard if Lacy is coming out.

If I had to choose I would go Lacy. ALA player scare me a little because when you run behind one of the best lines it's easy to look better then you are. However Lacy runs hard, has a nice spin move/stiff arm, secures the ball in traffic, and has the ideal build.
While it doesn't look like great draft for RB I think the middle rounds could have some soild guys. BJGE has suprised a lot of us as of late and I have no problems with him returning next year in a rotation. However this team needs a back with some speed and agility.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343

I liked Bernard. Would love to get him in the 2nd round. He could be the RB of the future, but also add the 1-2 punch to the running game with BJGE.

Scott has disappointed almost every year, and Leonard just isn't cutting it anymore. Plus, Bernard could turn into a good kick and punt returner. Bernard wouldn't have to start at RB his first year and still contribute greatly to this team.

I want him in stripes.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13704

Living where I do, I get a lot of exposure to UNC football. I hear them on the radio a lot and he certainly does have the ability to take over games. Some of these highlights are quite impressive.

If I remember correctly, he does have a bit of a history with injuries, which might hurt his stock.

I don't think he's much like Doug Martin though. Bernard is a shifty little guy and Martin was a "make one cut and go" type of back. They're both excellent receivers though.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25905
bengals Re: Giovani Bernard RB North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Really like this kid and the return skills would be welcome. I also like his catching ability.
I was reading that he has strong durablity concerns, missed two games this year and had to leave several other.
Top RB in the draft will be between he and Lacy. I haven't heard if Lacy is coming out.

If I had to choose I would go Lacy. ALA player scare me a little because when you run behind one of the best lines it's easy to look better then you are. However Lacy runs hard, has a nice spin move/stiff arm, secures the ball in traffic, and has the ideal build.
While it doesn't look like great draft for RB I think the middle rounds could have some soild guys. BJGE has suprised a lot of us as of late and I have no problems with him returning next year in a rotation. However this team needs a back with some speed and agility.
RBs get dinged due to how many times they touch the ball. Just part of the game. Lattimore has durability concerns not Bernard.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
RBs get dinged due to how many times they touch the ball. Just part of the game. Lattimore has durability concerns not Bernard.
That's why Bernard already missed a season to an ACL injury.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3073

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Here you go stud.

He has strong durability concerns, missing two games in 2012 and parts of several other contests with various injuries including to his shoulder and lower body (also tore his ACL in 2010).

Bernard gives good effort in pass protection, but limited due to his size and has room to improve.

Compares To: Besides durability and a smaller-than-ideal frame, it's tough to find negatives to Gio's game. Reminds me a lot of Trent Richardson, just not as powerful or durable. Borderline first-rounder.

--Dane Brugler
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...iovani-bernard
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9053

Michael Dyer > Giovani Bernard dyer is like a jamal charles
4th Doran Grant CB
4th JT Surratt DT
5th Jamil Douglas G
5th Aaron Davis LB
6th James Rouse DE
7th Mario Alford WR
UDFA Michael Dyer RB
UDFA Josh Shaw CB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

I like the veteran RBs that will be free agents. Sign Bush, Mendenhall, Jackson, Green, Ivory, Blount or etc. Draft a back for value starting in the 3rd round or later, hopefully Lattimore will be be available. Sit him for the year and find a speedy back in the 2014 off season.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 14130

Would be fine with me if the Bengals draft Giovani with one of their second round picks.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15055

I like Bernard and wouldn't mind drafting him at all. Although his injury history does concern me a little bit, I still think he'd be worth picking up.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 12-26-2012, 12:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3321

I hope we grab him round 1!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231
Default Giovanni Bernard

Many have the Bengals drafting this kid so I thought I would post this interesting article on him.

Thoughts?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42436/321/
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: Giovanni Bernard

I think the majority of the board members would love to have either Bernard or Lacy. They are both considered the top two RBs in the draft for a reason. One excerpt that stood out to me though......

"There are some red flags on Giovani Bernard's game tape, however, and I wonder if they'll cause him to max out as a change-of-pace back in the pros. Bernard lacks power. He is not a tough runner through contact. Either Bernard doesn't have very strong legs or he simply doesn't know how to use them. On just one occasion -- against Duke -- did Bernard legitimately move a pile. You often hear about running backs that "fall forward," and max out their runs. Bernard doesn't consistently finish his runs and doesn't consistently fall forward. He was ineffective in short yardage, which probably means he'll be even less effective against bigger, stronger defensive front-seven members in those situations at the next level."

This is what separates Lacy from Bernard. Lacy knows how to use his legs, constantly driving for extra yards when tacklers gang up on him. I just dont see Bernard being an every down back; Lacy can be. I would much rather have Lacy, but I would not be disappointed at all with having Bernard!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I think the majority of the board members would love to have either Bernard or Lacy. They are both considered the top two RBs in the draft for a reason. One excerpt that stood out to me though......

"There are some red flags on Giovani Bernard's game tape, however, and I wonder if they'll cause him to max out as a change-of-pace back in the pros. Bernard lacks power. He is not a tough runner through contact. Either Bernard doesn't have very strong legs or he simply doesn't know how to use them. On just one occasion -- against Duke -- did Bernard legitimately move a pile. You often hear about running backs that "fall forward," and max out their runs. Bernard doesn't consistently finish his runs and doesn't consistently fall forward. He was ineffective in short yardage, which probably means he'll be even less effective against bigger, stronger defensive front-seven members in those situations at the next level."

This is what separates Lacy from Bernard. Lacy knows how to use his legs, constantly driving for extra yards when tacklers gang up on him. I just dont see Bernard being an every down back; Lacy can be. I would much rather have Lacy, but I would not be disappointed at all with having Bernard!
If the Bengals draft Lacy, I'd think it would be as a feature back. You'd have to get him no later than than 37, provided he doesn't crap out at the combine. If you draft him, you still might grab a scatback later, since you still wouldn't have one.

How is Bernard a COP if he's not that fast and how is he an every down runner if he lacks power? What exactly is he?

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
If the Bengals draft Lacy, I'd think it would be as a feature back. You'd have to get him no later than than 37, provided he doesn't crap out at the combine. If you draft him, you still might grab a scatback later, since you still wouldn't have one.

How is Bernard a COP if he's not that fast and how is he an every down runner if he lacks power? What exactly is he?
The 2nd coming of Chris Perry?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
The 2nd coming of Chris Perry?
Not a Gio fan?

Perry had decent speed. He just was never meant to carry the load.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Overhyped.

-Has trouble moving a pile: He's under 210lbs so that's understandable I guess.
-Doesn't have elite speed: Well, that's kind of a problems since he's not a bruiser either.
-An ACL tear in 2010, and a shoulder injury; almost constantly getting bit by the injury buy: backing away...

Yeah, I hope we don't take him in the first 2 rounds. There just doesn't seem to be much upside to him as a prospect.

Lacy
Franklin
Gillislee
Ball
Ellington
Michael
Taylor
Bell
Barner

All guys I would take over Bernard at this point.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 02-02-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:
Not a Gio fan?

Perry had decent speed. He just was never meant to carry the load.
I was just about to post this same exact article on here, infact had already copied it. Just like this guy, I also kinda doubt if Gio really is the total package. With that being said, I would have to pass on him, even though I still believe that he could fill the Bernard Scott role quite admirably.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Overhyped.

-Doesn't have elite speed: Well, that's kind of a problems since he's not a bruiser either.
-An ACL tear in 2010, and a shoulder injury; almost constantly getting bit by the injury buy: backing away...

Yeah, I hope we don't take him in the first 2 rounds. There just doesn't seem to be much upside to him as a prospect.

Lacy
Franklin
Gillislee
Ball
Ellington
Michael
Taylor
Bell
Barner

Well thankfully we don't have you calling the shots

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Overhyped.

Lacy
Franklin
Gillislee
Ball
Ellington
Michael
Taylor
Bell
Barner

I totally agree. Bernard is just an injury waiting to happen we should stay far away from him.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 PM
VIP Member

Franklin,Lacy, Ellington is who they should be targeting.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15830

We should double up on backs. Grab Lacy early and get the scat later. We did it last year with DT, CB, WR's. It's a good time for rb. I like a Lacy/Gillislee combo. I don't see any of these change of pace backs having the speed we are all looking for. So go power early. Only issue with Lacy is Alabama backs have come much hyped, but disappointed recently.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Well thankfully we don't have you calling the shots
Thats what I was thinking there are maybe 2 guys on his list I would take over Gio and 1 that Id consider thats not on his list.

Lacy
- Im not a huge fan of his and think we would be fine keeping BJGE and grabbing a play maker with great speed but I cant deny he has been impressive, plus there arent a ton of RBs with elite speed this year.

Ellington - Elite speed and great acceleration, underrated ability to make guys miss.

Gio - Playmaker but probably wont be a special teams playmaker like he was in college, lacks elite speed and power. He does however have good vision, he is shifty and a good receiver.

Jawan Jamison - Jamison is a guy who does it all good, right now he is 5-8 200 pounds, if he could add 10 he would be the exact size of Ray Rice who he has gotten some comparisons to. People love to talk about Lacy's spin move but Jamison has a good one also, can be a shifty guy in the open.

Those are my 4 top guys in no particular order that Id want to look at in the draft above the others.