Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21620
Default Successful season?

Would you consider this season to be...

1) A success?
2) Average?
3) Undetermined?
4) Only a success if we make the playoffs?
5) Only a success if we WIN a playoff game?
6) Only a success if we make the SB?
7) Only a success if we WIN the SB?

Secondary question....

Would you like this particular scenario every year? 8-6 with a win and in game next?

In other words, is 8-6 a record that you'd feel good about if we started each season with it?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779
Default Re: Successful season?

There have been many great positives out of this season and this team is heading in the right direction. That being said, this season is a success if we make the playoffs.

Here's why - NOT making the playoffs means we lost another big game and we have consistently lost big games on big stages for a long time now. A win over the Steelers, which seals our fate AND theirs, shows that this young team is serious about taking it to the next level.

As to your second question, we have thrown away a few games and arguably we could (and probably should) be 10-4 or 11-3. I think 8-6 is too risky and I'd prefer to be 10-4 at this point.

Atlanta should be a great model for the Bengals. Ryan & White are like Dalton & Green. Both teams have a solid running game. Can Gresham be as good as Gonzo? This year though, Atlanta went out and grabbed a solid 2nd option at WR to make it really hard to justify a double team on White.

I think it's been a successful season.. and I think we're an elite #2 WR away from having the tools to go to the dance.

Who Dey.

"The chargers' defense said, and I quote, "Bengals did NOTHING offensively that we hadn't prepared for. No tweaks, no surprises."

There you have it. Add the fact that the team came out flat and you know exactly why Marvin Lewis & Jay Gruden have run their course & need to be replaced.

#whodey
Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega IV View Post
There have been many great positives out of this season and this team is heading in the right direction. That being said, this season is a success if we make the playoffs.

Here's why - NOT making the playoffs means we lost another big game and we have consistently lost big games on big stages for a long time now. A win over the Steelers, which seals our fate AND theirs, shows that this young team is serious about taking it to the next level.

As to your second question, we have thrown away a few games and arguably we could (and probably should) be 10-4 or 11-3. I think 8-6 is too risky and I'd prefer to be 10-4 at this point.

Atlanta should be a great model for the Bengals. Ryan & White are like Dalton & Green. Both teams have a solid running game. Can Gresham be as good as Gonzo? This year though, Atlanta went out and grabbed a solid 2nd option at WR to make it really hard to justify a double team on White.

I think it's been a successful season.. and I think we're an elite #2 WR away from having the tools to go to the dance.

Who Dey.
Atlanta is a great example of where we want to be, they also unexpectedly made the playoffs in Matt Ryan's rookie season and the next year they missed the playoffs at 9-7 but the media still considered them to be a better team than the year before despite that, if the Bengals went 9-7 and missed the playoffs they would still be viewed as a better team by the unbiased

and after last year I was expecting to have a season like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Marvin is always good at rebounding from very bad seasons, but he's never translated those rebound years into equal or better the year after that, that is what I want to see next year, we may have a better team without the same win total or making the playoffs because of the tougher schedule next year, but Marvin has a good track record of rebounding off those 4 win seasons, with Dalton and Green on the roster if we get anything near 4 wins he shouldn't and wont be back especially with an expiring contract (Mike Brown has never fired a coach - Shula and Coslet resigned, LeBeau's contract expired)

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 12-22-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27548

Quote:
Atlanta is a great example of where we want to be, they also unexpectedly made the playoffs in Matt Ryan's rookie season and the next year they missed the playoffs at 9-7 but the media still considered them to be a better team than the year before despite that, if the Bengals went 9-7 and missed the playoffs they would still be viewed as a better team by the unbiased

and after last year I was expecting to have a season like this
I'm starting to think taking a WR in the 1st round wouldn't be a bad idea. Just look at what Matt Ryan has been doing with Roddy White, Julio Jones and Gonzalez.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I'm starting to think taking a WR in the 1st round wouldn't be a bad idea. Just look at what Matt Ryan has been doing with Roddy White, Julio Jones and Gonzalez.
I dont think that's necessary with Sanu already drafted, I mean at this point it does seem like we're 1 player away like they were and we are short on one side at receiver but that's not for a lack of a roster spot, that's just Sanu's injury and the offense was as good as any with Sanu playing
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 556

Quote:
I know on the 2nd scoring drive for the Falcons tonight, Matt Ryan didn't even attempt to throw a deep ball. Just about ever pass was a screen and the Lions couldn't stop it.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27548

Quote:
I dont think that's necessary with Sanu already drafted, I mean at this point it does seem like we're 1 player away like they were and we are short on one side at receiver but that's not for a lack of a roster spot, that's just Sanu's injury and the offense was as good as any with Sanu playing
I just don't know about Sanu. He was a great red-zone target, but he wasn't putting up good yardage numbers.

I think he might be what we need at #2, but I can't be sure because we only saw him in 3 games. That's why I was so mad when he went down.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I just don't know about Sanu. He was a great red-zone target, but he wasn't putting up good yardage numbers.

I think he might be what we need at #2, but I can't be sure because we only saw him in 3 games. That's why I was so mad when he went down.
That's what I mean, he's only a rookie so I havent seen enough to go as far as saying we need someone else already but based on what he did do I dont think he should be written off at all, I'd like to see what he does in a complete season before I'd go as far as calling for a 1st rounder for a receiver again
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

Quote:
I also posted this in another thread, I think we should go WR in the 1st round. Maybe its not our biggest need, but the impact that a good WR make in a good ofense remove any doubts. See the difference when Sanu was in and now. Injuries do occur, and we can't depend on one player to do all. Its obvious but if we are not able to score points, especially in the passing game, will be a long path.
I just remember that almost all SB contenders have 2 good WR and a reliable TE. See 08 Cardinals with Fitzgerald, Boldin, Steelers with Hines Ward, Holmes and Miller, Patriots with Branch and Welker, Packers with Jennings and Driver.