Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Trademark's Avatar
Trademark Trademark is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 3,088
Rep Points: 3113
Default Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

wow the devil is running rampant, so sad former Cincinnati Red Ryan Freel commited suicide. Very, very sad....

http://deadspin.com/5970824/report-f...cide-at-age-36
__________________
JESUS Saves !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 AM
crazyjdawg's Avatar
crazyjdawg crazyjdawg is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cincy
Posts: 10,027
Rep Points: 20070
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

This is a tragedy.

He was a great player and a great person too.

In light of recent events, however, the best I can say is that he didn't take anyone with him, like many people in the news recently have.
__________________


5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,911
Rep Points: 24933
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
This is a tragedy.

He was a great player and a great person too.

In light of recent events, however, the best I can say is that he didn't take anyone with him, like many people in the news recently have.
The only thing tragic about this situation is that he may have left behind loved ones to mourn over his selfish act. I have zero sad feelings for people that take their own life. I agree though, great player, and an awesome guy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 AM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 430
Rep Points: 367
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
The only thing tragic about this situation is that he may have left behind loved ones to mourn over his selfish act. I have zero sad feelings for people that take their own life. I agree though, great player, and an awesome guy.
I know, depressed people that kill themselves are the worst! Why don't they just be happier?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,911
Rep Points: 24933
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
I know, depressed people that kill themselves are the worst! Why don't they just be happier?
Your sarcasm is not lost on me, but you're actually completely right....sans the sarcasm. I'm sure this guy is leaving behind some people that love him because of his selfish act. Depression or not....what a weak way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:40 AM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 430
Rep Points: 367
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Your sarcasm is not lost on me, but you're actually completely right....sans the sarcasm. I'm sure this guy is leaving behind some people that love him because of his selfish act. Depression or not....what a weak way to go.
You're expecting people in an irrational state to act rationally. One of the things that depression does is make the person feel worthless. In their mind the people are better off without them. There is literally a chemical imbalance in their brain that they can't control that keeps them from being able to think clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:42 AM
coachmcneil71's Avatar
coachmcneil71 coachmcneil71 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Punxsutawney
Posts: 2,688
Rep Points: 9474
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
The only thing tragic about this situation is that he may have left behind loved ones to mourn over his selfish act. I have zero sad feelings for people that take their own life. I agree though, great player, and an awesome guy.
One of my brothers committed suicide and it is a selfish act. It is a very painful time for his loved ones but no more so than losing another brother/loved one in a traffic accident which also happend to me and my family.
Bottom line is that it is a tragedy for all involved. Really liked him when he was a player for Cincy. God bless his family and may peace be with him.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 12-23-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 AM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,911
Rep Points: 24933
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
One of my brothers committed suicide and it is a selfish act. It is a very painful time for his loved ones but no more so than losing another brother/loved one in a traffic accident which also happend to me and my family.
Bottom line is that it is a tragedy for all involved. Really liked him when he was a player for Cincy. God bless his family and may peace be with him.
I have had tragedy in my life. Friends taken because of war,..Uncles due to gun violence,...and Brothers due to rare blood disorders. All of those people would have loved to live on for another day, and for that reason, I have no respect for a man that ends his own life. The Best Man in my wedding had his father kill himself a couple years ago. I watched what that family went through, and you're right.....it's no better or worse than any other death.

I'm sorry that you lost your brother to this, but it really ****** me off any time I hear of someone taking their own life. To me, that is the ultimate selfish act....and It's hard to feel sorry for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,911
Rep Points: 24933
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
You're expecting people in an irrational state to act rationally. One of the things that depression does is make the person feel worthless. In their mind the people are better off without them. There is literally a chemical imbalance in their brain that they can't control that keeps them from being able to think clearly.
I don't expect them to act normally....I just expect them to maybe think of others when they're thinking of ending their life. There are support groups everywhere that will help someone through the most difficult times in their life. When he started having suicidal feelings (which was likely before he actually did it) he should have sought help.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 AM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 430
Rep Points: 367
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I don't expect them to act normally....I just expect them to maybe think of others when they're thinking of ending their life. There are support groups everywhere that will help someone through the most difficult times in their life. When he started having suicidal feelings (which was likely before he actually did it) he should have sought help.
I agree he should have, but depression takes away hope. If he was depressed he probably thought that nothing would help him and death was the only way out.

He probably did think about the people around him and thought they would be better off without him. I'm sure they disagree.

I don't know why this one guy did it, but to not have sympathy for depressed people that are so hopeless that they see suicide as the only thing that can end their pain seems cold to me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 AM
coachmcneil71's Avatar
coachmcneil71 coachmcneil71 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Punxsutawney
Posts: 2,688
Rep Points: 9474
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I have had tragedy in my life. Friends taken because of war,..Uncles due to gun violence,...and Brothers due to rare blood disorders. All of those people would have loved to live on for another day, and for that reason, I have no respect for a man that ends his own life. The Best Man in my wedding had his father kill himself a couple years ago. I watched what that family went through, and you're right.....it's no better or worse than any other death.

I'm sorry that you lost your brother to this, but it really ****** me off any time I hear of someone taking their own life. To me, that is the ultimate selfish act....and It's hard to feel sorry for them.
Agreed, suicide is something that I will never understand and it leaves a terrible scar on loved ones. When they're gone ,they're gone and nothing or no one can ever bring them back. So sad with the proximity of Christmas but there is never a "good time" for loved ones to face an event such as this. As a person that has lost a family member in this way all I can truly say is may peace be with his soul and god be with his family.After 16 years all I feel is compassion. I did feel a lot of anger for many years though.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 12-23-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Trademark's Avatar
Trademark Trademark is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 3,088
Rep Points: 3113
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Agreed, suicide is something that I will never understand and it leaves a terrible scar on loved ones. When they're gone ,they're gone and nothing or no one can ever bring them back. So sad with the proximity of Christmas but there is never a "good time" for loved ones to face an event such as this. As a person that has lost a family member in this way all I can truly say is may peace be with his soul and god be with his family.After 16 years all I feel is compassion. I did feel a lot of anger for many years though.
depression is of the devil and like it says in the BIBLE the devil is out to steal, kill and destroy,

John 10:10

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

he let the devil take him sadly, with the evil spirit of suicide.....
__________________
JESUS Saves !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Fan_in_Kettering's Avatar
Fan_in_Kettering Fan_in_Kettering is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 8,510
Rep Points: 29324
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

First, let us pray for the repose of Ryan Freel's soul. Our Lord is merciful and so full of love for His children and even suicide, selfish an act as it may be, can be forgiven. Only the Holy Spirit knows what was in Ryan's heart and mind which drove him to end his life. While I cannot imagine how desperate and despondent someone must be to take their own life, I know Our Lord looks upon this world and knows us and loves us just the same.

"O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?" (1 Corinthians 15:55)

Jesus Christ has the final say and in Him is the final victory and in Him is eternal life. Let us commend the soul of Ryan Freel to His loving care.

On a personal note, I loved the energy with which Ryan Freel played baseball. I was there at his last game where he hit the center field wall and had to be carried out. He caught that ball, too.

Last edited by Fan_in_Kettering; 12-23-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
basballguy's Avatar
basballguy basballguy is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glenn Heights, TX
Posts: 2,070
Rep Points: 4281
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

I saw this, very sad. Prayers for his friends and family.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 AM
hollodero hollodero is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,142
Rep Points: 3013
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I don't expect them to act normally....I just expect them to maybe think of others when they're thinking of ending their life. There are support groups everywhere that will help someone through the most difficult times in their life. When he started having suicidal feelings (which was likely before he actually did it) he should have sought help.
No disrespect at all, but I think you're a bit off here.

First, as someone said, in severe depression one might feel others can't stand him anyway, or that he's just a burden, maybe even that he's expected to end things, all of that stuff.

Second, there's the suffering. You claim suicidal people should think of other's suffering? Yeah, but what about their own sufffering. In other words, couldn't it be regarded as just as selfish to ask someone to live on a life he considers to be unbearably painful, for not hurting someone else?
And contrary to general belief, depressions can not always be cured on the passing, and not every person can be easily helped by therapy.

I really should add that I do not claim suicide as being some kind of solution or an act that needs to be tolerated. But really, have a bit of understanding, even though you can't feel like a depressed person feels.

Condolences to everyone involved in that tragedy.
__________________
- You just read a quality post from hollodero. (Approved by the Austrian ministry of foreign affairs.)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 AM
jmccracky's Avatar
jmccracky jmccracky is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 7,884
Rep Points: 17021
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollodero View Post
No disrespect at all, but I think you're a bit off here.

First, as someone said, in severe depression one might feel others can't stand him anyway, or that he's just a burden, maybe even that he's expected to end things, all of that stuff.

Second, there's the suffering. You claim suicidal people should think of other's suffering? Yeah, but what about their own sufffering. In other words, couldn't it be regarded as just as selfish to ask someone to live on a life he considers to be unbearably painful, for not hurting someone else?
And contrary to general belief, depressions can not always be cured on the passing, and not every person can be easily helped by therapy.

I really should add that I do not claim suicide as being some kind of solution or an act that needs to be tolerated. But really, have a bit of understanding, even though you can't feel like a depressed person feels.

Condolences to everyone involved in that tragedy.
Agreed.

The thing about people who commit suicide, they think the world and everyone else will be better off without them. Even if they have families. They feel as though their loved ones' lives will be better off if they don't exist. They BELIEVE they are the problem. They believe that everyone is better off, even their own kids.

The thing is, I know what Johnny Cupcakes (Ron Mexico) is feeling. I used to feel the exact same way, and I won't judge him for feeling that way. I would be a hypocrite if I did. But right now in my life, this is my understanding. I can't change peoples minds, but I can at least make them think twice about their stance on something.

Either way, it's tough. I don't judge. Just give my thoughts on it.
__________________
Shalom Aleikhem
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Dalton's_Gang's Avatar
Dalton's_Gang Dalton's_Gang is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Athens, ohio
Posts: 2,123
Rep Points: 2591
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Your sarcasm is not lost on me, but you're actually completely right....sans the sarcasm. I'm sure this guy is leaving behind some people that love him because of his selfish act. Depression or not....what a weak way to go.
say that when your depressed and dont know which way to go. no one knows the situations he was in more then himself. it was a sad day, freel was one of my favs.

when you have depression (like i currently battle with) you sometimes lose perception of what is right or wrong , weak or strong as you would put it. when your severely depressed which i would have to assume he was unless he had a terminall illness, your not sure which way to go about things.

unless you battle depression, you have no idea what people like me and others with it go through.

sometimes i feel worthless, sometimes i feel like im a bother to everyone near and dear to me,sometimes i think id feel better if i was dead or gone. sometimes death is the only way out.believe it or not, there are situations where no amount of psychiatric help will help. call it selfish or whatever you want. I have actually contemplated suicide a few times but luckily i have had a group of great friends to help me through everything.

Depression is no joke and should be taken seriously.
__________________


I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.

Last edited by Dalton's_Gang; 12-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,911
Rep Points: 24933
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Look, I realize that I'm coming off as rather insensitive in this thread, and I can see how you all can feel that way. That doesn't change my mind on the issue at all though.

Sure, Depression is a problem and it should be dealt with as such. I myself have done the dance with it. The thing is....I got help with it. A nice Rx and other professional help got me to where I am today. Never have I contemplated suicide as a legitimate option before, because the right help let me know that things would eventually get better. I may sympathize a bit with someone battling depression, but I sympathize in no way with someone that takes their own life. It's a horrible tragedy to people that surround them, that could easily be prevented.

I've talked about this in the past with people, and a common thing that has come up is that not everyone actually gets the help that they need for this issue so they kind of get a bit of an excuse for their final actions. If someone had Cancer and refused treatments even though the could fix the problem, I would have no sympathy for them either.....with exceptions of course to late stage cancer and other diseases where treatment is futile.

I'm legitimately sorry that my opinion on this differs from the majority here. I'm not trying to be the insensitive ***** of the thread, but this is just how I feel about it. Like I said before, I know of way too many people who would have loved to live another day, but ultimately met a horrible fate in one way or another. Life is special to me,...as it should be to everyone, and when someone ends their own it just ****** me off.

Apologies if I've offended anyone in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-25-2012, 10:57 AM
goalpost goalpost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 4,008
Rep Points: 3534
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Pete Rose type of player..RIP Ryan.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 PM
hollodero hollodero is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,142
Rep Points: 3013
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

Ah, no offence taken (by me at least)! I get your opinion, and I don't think you're insensitive. I think you're judgmental, that's it.

And well, you have your experiences. I got mine. Good for you you never lost hope - but you can't expect others to keep faith alive. Depressions are not all alike - and reasons for suicidal thoughts are not alike either. And there are so many different kinds of psychological reasons or disorders; borderline, schizophrenia, personality disorders... all packed with very different kinds of suffering another person couldn't really understand. Others can never experience love or sexuality, others lost loved ones, others got beaten up as a child, others... well, there are many things and burdens out there, I really couldn't claim that there are all berarable.
There are always nuances. I'd say, for example, many people (don't know about you, though) really could understand if a terminably ill person suffering from huge actual pain wants to end it right away instead of enduring it to the inevitable end. Emotional pain - and the feeling it's ever-lasting too - isn't that comprehensible and hardly could be compared to another person's personal experience, therefore it tends to get belittled a bit. Is there always help possible easily? From my experience, I doubt that, and I know people where long-lasting therapy wasn't helping and finally was abandoned.

I couldn't judge them if they end it. It would be incredibly sad, that's it. I couldn't be ****** at them. Then again, you seem to claim life is a gift one simply always has to appreciate and to hold in highest regards. I, however, claim no one asked for that gift in the first place, and what he does with it is - in the end - left to him alone, and his decision needs to be respected. Of course, I would do everything possible to prevent anyone from suicide. But if that's his decision in the end, I would not judge him. Who knows what incredible pain he suffered before choosing this step which I'd rather regard as brave and incredibly sad and a sign of deepest desperation - not as a selfish act.

(Hope I could make myself clear in this strange language.)
__________________
- You just read a quality post from hollodero. (Approved by the Austrian ministry of foreign affairs.)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Magikod's Avatar
Magikod Magikod is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 25,707
Rep Points: 33411
Default Re: Former Red Ryan Freel commits suicide

RIP

At least he didn't kill 20 people before he killed himself.
__________________
Video Games I Play: Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike:GO, Elder Scrolls Online.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.