Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 328
Default After getting ripped... my mock #2 lol

After listening to opinions, I made some adjustments. I like to hear everyone’s comments and I will add or delete as I see fit. I don’t do it to please everyone because that will not happen. I do it after more research and thinking. That’s why we all do several drafts in our head every year. Shoot me down again…I’m excited to see who rips it up lol. By the way….I do lots of research on where players are projected, no one knows where it could be so don’t nail me on that. I just saw today that Okefor could be a 3rd rounder, weird things happen every year in the draft, so if you want to bash on me, bash on something other than where the player is projected. I also saw Wagner at end of 1st by one guru. We will see. Enjoy

RD 1 – RB Giovani Bernard, North Carolina - The closer we get to the draft I think Giovani may end up being picked in late round 1, he’s a MJD and D. Martin clone, we won’t make the mistake again. Very explosive back and only a RS freshman.
RD 2 (OAK ) S Matt Elam, Florida - Great pick at a position of need, playmaker that plays everywhere in the secondary, good in run support and can also cover.
RD 2 OLB 4-3 Chase Thomas, Stanford Chase has the size on the outside like M.L likes and is a tough ball player. This allows us to put him in for Manny, we will have Howard back on they other side and put Burfict where he belongs…in the middle. I moved away from Okefor a little due to him being more suited for a 3-4 defense.
RD 3 RT Ricky Wagner, Wisc - Most often when one thinks of Badger O-linemen, they think of big, tough, road graders. Wagner is certainly that as he has no problems creating holes in the running game. A.Smith will be very pricey because of the media hype and that just seems to be the type of guy he is, after we gave him multiple chances, he still bolts for more money. Wagner along with Boling, Zeitler, and Robinson will make us the best young line in NFL at a very low cap hit.
RD 4 Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU - I’m sticking with this troubled guy in 4th round, why? Because he’s the best cb in the draft, some say better the Ex-teammate M. Claiborne. He is trouble but we have no issues drafting trouble with his upside. Plus it’s a 4th rounder so everyone chill!
We would add 4 starters here (Giovani, Elam, Thomas and Wagner) everyone would be an instant upgrade except for maybe Wagner at 1st. Mathieu will be a starter after he proves to stay out of trouble, this move also allows us to drop Big, Big money in A.Smith, N.Clements, Lawson and maybe even Rey. I also let Geathers go and keep M.J and Gilberry. No DT needed imo when we have Still and Thompson waiting in the wings.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678
Default Re: After getting ripped... my mock #2 lol

I wouldn't mind this, but I would much rather see us draft a different safety than Elam.

As for Matheiu. He is not even worth mentioning in the same breath as Caliborne and Peterson when it comes to coverage skills. He is not a very good coverage guy. In fact, if it weren't for all the forced fumbles that he had at LSU, he would be a liability on the field for any defense.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10924

Not gonna lie, I thought the title said "After getting raped".....
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30030

I don't think we need a first round RB. Bennie is doing just fine. I want a complement to him that has break away speed.

I'm not a big fan of Elam, and I'm not sure he lasts that long.

Chase Thomas is a great pick if he's there.

That's a little earlier than I would draft a tackle unless we lose Andre.

I really don't think the Bengals will use a draft pick on Mathieu. They are moving away from drafting head cases. And after getting arrested for drugs after getting kicked off the team for drugs, he qualifies.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

all remarks understandable and i actually agree with some.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321
bengals Re: After getting ripped... my mock #2 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcat454545 View Post
After listening to opinions, I made some adjustments. I like to hear everyone’s comments and I will add or delete as I see fit. I don’t do it to please everyone because that will not happen. I do it after more research and thinking. That’s why we all do several drafts in our head every year. Shoot me down again…I’m excited to see who rips it up lol. By the way….I do lots of research on where players are projected, no one knows where it could be so don’t nail me on that. I just saw today that Okefor could be a 3rd rounder, weird things happen every year in the draft, so if you want to bash on me, bash on something other than where the player is projected. I also saw Wagner at end of 1st by one guru. We will see. Enjoy

RD 1 – RB Giovani Bernard, North Carolina - The closer we get to the draft I think Giovani may end up being picked in late round 1, he’s a MJD and D. Martin clone, we won’t make the mistake again. Very explosive back and only a RS freshman.
RD 2 (OAK ) S Matt Elam, Florida - Great pick at a position of need, playmaker that plays everywhere in the secondary, good in run support and can also cover.
RD 2 OLB 4-3 Chase Thomas, Stanford Chase has the size on the outside like M.L likes and is a tough ball player. This allows us to put him in for Manny, we will have Howard back on they other side and put Burfict where he belongs…in the middle. I moved away from Okefor a little due to him being more suited for a 3-4 defense.
RD 3 RT Ricky Wagner, Wisc - Most often when one thinks of Badger O-linemen, they think of big, tough, road graders. Wagner is certainly that as he has no problems creating holes in the running game. A.Smith will be very pricey because of the media hype and that just seems to be the type of guy he is, after we gave him multiple chances, he still bolts for more money. Wagner along with Boling, Zeitler, and Robinson will make us the best young line in NFL at a very low cap hit.
RD 4 Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU - I’m sticking with this troubled guy in 4th round, why? Because he’s the best cb in the draft, some say better the Ex-teammate M. Claiborne. He is trouble but we have no issues drafting trouble with his upside. Plus it’s a 4th rounder so everyone chill!
We would add 4 starters here (Giovani, Elam, Thomas and Wagner) everyone would be an instant upgrade except for maybe Wagner at 1st. Mathieu will be a starter after he proves to stay out of trouble, this move also allows us to drop Big, Big money in A.Smith, N.Clements, Lawson and maybe even Rey. I also let Geathers go and keep M.J and Gilberry. No DT needed imo when we have Still and Thompson waiting in the wings.
You were doing fine until Mathieu. Absolutely horrible selection. Why put yourself in harm's way when there are high quality players that could make an impact without the baggage?

The kid has proven over and over that he has a blatant disregard for rules. Sorry but the notion of using a draft pick on him is ridiculous.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Quote:

I like Benard, he jumps out when you watch him, like his return skills too. The only thing is he is a bit injury prone from what I have read so far. The last thing we need is another injured 1st round pick.
To me there is something about Dion Jordan and the passrush he could bring from the LB spot, even if he wasn't a full time player.

If Elam is there yes, if not Vaccaro would be nice. Like Chase Thomas pick.

Right now here is my mock.
1-Jordan- could be that rush linebacker we always wanted
2-Lacy - best "all around" back.
2-Vaccaro - Just seems like a fluid player, like this kid next to Nelson
3-Wagner - We just need another T.
4-C.Harper - Sleeper, not a speed guy but makes big catches at the right time.

Im starting to want quality over quantity in drafts. We draft all these players only to replace them with UDFA or aging vets in some areas.
I do think we have done well drafting lately.

This team hab no maaahbulls!

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 12-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
You were doing fine until Mathieu. Absolutely horrible selection. Why put yourself in harm's way when there are high quality players that could make an impact without the baggage?

The kid has proven over and over that he has a blatant disregard for rules. Sorry but the notion of using a draft pick on him is ridiculous.
U can say what you want but its a 4th rounder with top 10 talent, we all know we give guys 2,3,4 chances when you have talent, look at Burfict....after all his trouble we still went to interview him and he refused to run for the coaches!! We still took him and he is best LB we have! I understand why you wouldnt take him and im going off talent only right now, i interview this kid and do lots of reaserch on him then i make a decision. but as of now...with his talent...I take a chance in rd 4.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
U can say what you want but its a 4th rounder with top 10 talent, we all know we give guys 2,3,4 chances when you have talent, look at Burfict....after all his trouble we still went to interview him and he refused to run for the coaches!! We still took him and he is best LB we have! I understand why you wouldnt take him and im going off talent only right now, i interview this kid and do lots of reaserch on him then i make a decision. but as of now...with his talent...I take a chance in rd 4.
Not with a 4th.

Mathiu as a 6th-7th/UDFA like Burfict, yeees. Yes he has lots of talent for sure I agree, might be able to learn from a guy like Adam Jones.

I'm sure they will check him out though, I think Jenkins from last year would have been nice but he had to be off limits in the 1st. Burfict never really had trouble with the law and was signed at a very friendly contract.

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 12-24-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Rep Points: 0

1st- xavier rhodes cb-fsu 2nd- andre ellington rb-clemson 2nd- dj fluker ot-alabama 3rd- alexander olgetree lb-georgia 4th- brandon jenkins de-fsu 5th- shamarko thomas ss-syracuse 6th- kniles davis rb-ark 7th- sean renfree qb- duke.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsen1999 View Post
1st- xavier rhodes cb-fsu 2nd- andre ellington rb-clemson 2nd- dj fluker ot-alabama 3rd- alexander olgetree lb-georgia 4th- brandon jenkins de-fsu 5th- shamarko thomas ss-syracuse 6th- kniles davis rb-ark 7th- sean renfree qb- duke.
Unless we plan to move Leon to S next year I don't want a CB in the first.

I like Kniles Davis, he was in a bad situation this year at ARK. He takes the ball and goes, no hesitation. Can't help but compare him to former Hog, McFadden.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1327

Quote:
[b]. Mathieu will be a starter after he proves to stay out of trouble, this move also allows us to drop Big, Big money in A.Smith, N.Clements, Lawson and maybe even Rey. I also let Geathers go and keep M.J and Gilberry. No DT needed imo when we have Still and Thompson waiting in the wings.
Are you kidding? You think we should spend big, big money on Lawson, Clements, or Rey????

-Marvin Lewis
Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfanatic85 View Post
Are you kidding? You think we should spend big, big money on Lawson, Clements, or Rey????
He doesn't have much knowledge IMO, that is crazy talk!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:

Not a fan of Bernard in the 1st.

The only guy i like out of the safeties is Swearinger. He has the size and is a constant montor & i think we could get him in the 3rd round.

If we have to take another OT because Andre won't sign then we should.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

Quote:

No 1st rd RB, but I do want a RB by the end of Rd 2. Chase Thomas is about a 4.90 40 guy from what I've seen and that's a tad slw for NFL standards as an OLB. Honey Badger has to be a 6th rd pick or later with hsi problems. He's very small too but may be a great PR and KR
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 767

Quote:
this would be a dream draft
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12681

Quote:

Like Elam here. Have him in mine as well.

1 . DE. Dion Jordan "Oregon"
2a. SS. Matt Elam " Florida"
2b. WR. Da'Rick Rogers "Tennessee Tech"
3. RB. Marcus Lattimore "South Carolina"
4. OLB. Gerald Hodges "Penn State"
5. C Mario Benevides " Louisville "
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23155

Not gonna lie, I thought the title said "After getting raped".....

Maybe that's how he got ripped...

Really dislike the idea of Smith being replaced, as I think he's playing solid football right now and has grown up since the draft. Think there's value in overpaying some for Andre as it frees the team to address other areas of need. But if you're right, then Wagner is a solid replacement who is likely NFL ready.

Prefer a different safety over Elam, just seems to have a bust feel when I watch videos of him. But it's a neeed and you're addressing it, so all good.

B+
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
this would be a dream draft
I like Rhodes, at S/NCB. I know he is one of the best corners in the draft, he is listed at 6'1 217. Reminds you of Dre some when you watch him. Love the way he reads a screen and his ball skills.

Right now there is two corners that would be taken ahead of him.
I would also like to give some of our young corners (Gee, Prater, Harris) another year.

I would rather go BPA in the first, whatever the position except DT/QB. I think there is going to be a good S sitting there with one of those second round picks. Vaccaro/Phillips.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post

Let's "Burfict" him if he falls that far.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalUSCfan View Post
Let's "Burfict" him if he falls that far.
no thanks