Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

View Poll Results: How impressive is Calvin Johnson's record?
Extraordinarily 14 51.85%
Will be if he makes it to 2000 4 14.81%
Not surprising, but impressive nonetheless 9 33.33%
Meh, it was bound to happen 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2012, 04:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4633
Default How impressive is Calvin Johnson's record?

Just looking for opinions and/or discussion. I feel like it was bound to happen with the culture change and pass happy offenses. If he goes over 2k? That would be something special I think.

Neither record would be as impressive in my eyes in comparison to Adrian Peterson breaking Dickerson's rushing record
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343
Default Re: How impressive is Calvin Johnson's record?

It's extraordinary to be honest. This guy has been in the league for 6 years, and has been over the 1,600 yard mark twice. And them being consecutive years.

Johnson earned this record. Yes, we're in a passing league now, but look at all the players on the list who have had a season of 1,600+ yards. No one since 2003 has been able to even reach that mark. Not only did Calvin reach it, he beat it, and can get 2,000+ yards THIS SEASON. If this guy was on a winning team, he would definitely be considered MVP.

Without him, I don't think this team wins a game. But I digress.

And I agree that the Peterson going towards the rushing record would also be a great feat, especially since he is coming off an injury, but Calvin not only beat a record, he has a chance to set the bar even higher.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38280

It's flat out ridonkulous that he can do that drawing as much attention as he does from opposing secondaries. You know every corner who covers him is getting safety help on every play. Heck, entire defenses have got one eye on Megatron at all times. He's all the Lions have and still, no one can stop him.

It's very similar to AP and all the eight man fronts he is seeing. Both those guys are having incredible seasons this year. It really is amazing what they've been able to do on teams that are not balanced.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1248

Any time you overtake a record held by Jerry Rice, that is impressive. 2000 yards would be amazing due to being the only real WR option on his team. I know they are behind in most every game and have to throw the ball, more than most teams, but still impressive, IMO. Edit: Looks like I said the same thing as savagehenry 54.I was typing this as he posted basically the same thing I said.

Last edited by jjenn300; 12-23-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 489

I could't vote, because there wasn't an option for; "It was futile, they threw it to him lots, cos the Lions had no other feasible options."

I think the record has to be looked at, in relation to what it achieved for their team... From what I see; with the Lions sitting at 4:11, it achieved zip. Jerry Rice on the other hand was part of a team which ran the ball more and had many other options than constantly throwing to Rice.

I'd like to see the stat on how many pass attempts were made to Johnson compared to Rice over the season... I would wager Johnson leads that stat by a significant amount.

Last edited by ScottishBengal; 12-23-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13704

All records will be broken at one time or another. That being said, it's truly amazing what he's been able to accomplish. Yeah, the lions **** and have been playing from behind alot. Well, there are plenty of bad teams with good receivers who played from behind a lot and none of them came close to doing anything like this, so that's a pretty silly argument.

Can you imagine how bad the Lions would have been without Calvin? Having a weapon like him is almost good enough to get you those 6 wins on his own.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

How many games were there in a season when Rice set this record? And the DB's could mug the WR's like it was in NYC.
Impressive still, but let's see him do it in 12 games or however many there were at the time.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
How many games were there in a season when Rice set this record? And the DB's could mug the WR's like it was in NYC.
Impressive still, but let's see him do it in 12 games or however many there were at the time.
There were 16 games at the time Jerry Rice set the record, same number of games as there are today. Jerry Rice set the record in 1995. The NFL expanded the season from 14 games to 16 games in 1978.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 88934

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishBengal View Post
I could't vote, because there wasn't an option for; "It was futile, they threw it to him lots, cos the Lions had no other feasible options."

I think the record has to be looked at, in relation to what it achieved for their team... From what I see; with the Lions sitting at 4:11, it achieved zip. Jerry Rice on the other hand was part of a team which ran the ball more and had many other options than constantly throwing to Rice.

I'd like to see the stat on how many pass attempts were made to Johnson compared to Rice over the season... I would wager Johnson leads that stat by a significant amount.
Calvin Johnson still has 5 less catches than Rice did. Your argument is invalid.

On a side note, can we put the Madden cover curse to bed yet?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 30181

The records Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson are setting, while impressive, are predominately being set against weak NFC defenses. If those guys played in the AFC, especially the AFC North, they would be well known but not considered superstars.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5611

Where's the option helped my fantasy team?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4687

It's amazing. He is the only offensive weapon on that team and get's constantly double and triple covered.

It's time for you to go Marv. Kirkpatrick is my hero.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3321

They purposely tried to get him the record, they throw the ball every time and every time they throw it to him and no one else.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
It's amazing. He is the only offensive weapon on that team and get's constantly double and triple covered.
I've heard people try to dismiss this as the Lions throwing so much because they trail so often but teams would have to go prevent for him to get the yards that way and the Lions have been in so many close games this year where nobody should be able to play prevent with a lead in a close game as they would in garbage time like Atlanta did Saturday
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
They purposely tried to get him the record, they throw the ball every time and every time they throw it to him and no one else.
Defenses know this, and they still can't stop him. Being the only legitimate target shouldn't take away from his record at all, but actually make it that more impressive.