Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Game Day!!

Game Day!! A place to discuss the current games during the games themselves.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3179
Default Re: red rifle ---shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Like i said..I give Dalton 2 more years...his deep ball accuracy has to be the worst in the league.
Wtf? Where do you people get this **** from? Accuracy wasn't a big problem this game. Most of the passes were physically where they needed to be (I.e. not over or under thrown).

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
No, it's really not. NFL QBs typically complete around 35% of their deep throws. Dalton is par for the course. He threw a pair of beautiful deep passes today, but the coverage was there. Open your eyes.

Green has had his man beat numerous times and Dalton can never come through and put one on the money. Daltons deep ball is weak i don't care what anybody says.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24035

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
...and Green dropped one.

Regardless, Dalton isn't performing like a good QB. Sure, he makes key throws late in games sometimes, but if he was more consistent throughout the game those throws wouldn't really be necessary.

That's his QB rating the last 4 games. If it weren't for the outstanding play of the defense(only giving up 12ppg in the 3 wins), the Bengals wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Bottom line, Andy's gotta step it up if we're gonna go anywhere in the playoffs.
No, Jay Gruden needs to step up. Dalton was playing lights out with Sanu. Now he's had 4 poor games in a row. You think that's coincidence? If Dalton doesn't trust our other receivers, then Jay needs to get creative with the game plan and give Andy some easy throws.

Also, it doesn't help that we've given up 17 sacks in 3 games with Cook back in the lineup. Put Robinson back out there.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...and Green dropped one.

Regardless, Dalton isn't performing like a good QB. Sure, he makes key throws late in games sometimes, but if he was more consistent throughout the game those throws wouldn't really be necessary.

That's his QB rating the last 4 games. If it weren't for the outstanding play of the defense(only giving up 12ppg in the 3 wins), the Bengals wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Bottom line, Andy's gotta step it up if we're gonna go anywhere in the playoffs.
Exactly
Old 12-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Dalton did not have a good game, but he did what was needed to win.

We had no run game today. I blame that on Cook being back at Center. That has hurt the entire O line.
Any other blame for lack of a running game is on BJGE, for being too slow to get to the outside, and Gruden for not having any runs, but when in clearly running formations.

Dalton was also under a lot of pressure today, 5 sacks I believe. Cood was also pushed right back into Dalton all game long.

Dalton should have been better today. The throw to Jones in the end zone was a TD, if Jones did not have to wait on an under thrown ball. Dalton also missed more than one throw today.

Still, when given the chance, he got the completion and won the game.
That is more than most veteran QBs can do, and Dalton is only in his second year.

I blame it on Cook and Boling
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18155

Quote:
Going to the playoffs. Again. Thanks to a clutch throw by Dalton. Eat it haters.
You mean a clutch catch by Green? haha.

4-24-13
1. Cordarelle Patterson WR UT
2a. D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
2b. Le'veon Bell RB MSU
3. Jamie Collins OLB Southern Missippi
4. Reid Fragel OT Ohio State
5. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
6. William Gholston DE MSU
6. Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH)
7. Nick Clancy MLB Boston College
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
You mean a clutch catch by Green? haha.
Clutch throw, clutch catch. It was a good throw though.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17627

Quote:
Clutch throw, clutch catch. It was a good throw though.
They aren't gonna quit with the whole "Andy sux" thing. He'll literally have to put up Brady-like numbers to please some people around here.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
They aren't gonna quit with the whole "Andy sux" thing. He'll literally have to put up Brady-like numbers to please some people around here.
Yup. I'm really not sure what it is. I know Dalton hasn't been sharp since Sanu went down, but overall he's having a solid 2nd season. Sometimes I think that had Dalton been a 6' 5" first overall pick from a big name school, everyone would be on his jock. It's a perception thing. Some people didn't like the pick from the word go, and refuse to change their minds.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
No, Jay Gruden needs to step up. Dalton was playing lights out with Sanu. Now he's had 4 poor games in a row. You think that's coincidence? If Dalton doesn't trust our other receivers, then Jay needs to get creative with the game plan and give Andy some easy throws.

Also, it doesn't help that we've given up 17 sacks in 3 games with Cook back in the lineup. Put Robinson back out there.
Valid points and they're one's that I agree with.

You've gotta admit though that Dalton currently isn't close to playoff caliber though. If the D keeps going the way it has, we might be able to get a playoff win, but the offensive play HAS to improve.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Valid points and they're one's that I agree with.

You've gotta admit though that Dalton currently isn't close to playoff caliber though. If the D keeps going the way it has, we might be able to get a playoff win, but the offensive play HAS to improve.
We can agree there. I just think it's a collective effort, whereas you think it's mostly on Andy.

Today, Benji had 15 carries for 14 yards. You can't sustain drives with numbers like that. AJ had a big drop and a huge fumble. He recovered, but those 2 plays are ones he can't make in the playoffs.

In the last 3 games (since Cook got back) we've given up 17 sacks. This after we only gave up 5 sacks in the previous 4 games. Cook needs to find the bench.

Against the Boys and Eagles, we had 14 drops, one of them on a sure TD (cost us a win). Can't have that. That's just terrible.

All these things have coincided with Andy's slide. When the guys around Andy are playing poorly, it's going to affect his performance as well. With Sanu out, everyone needs to step up. If they do, I have little doubt that Andy can lead us to wins.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 12-24-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7430

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny44 View Post
whats the difference betwwen these two teams....one has a qb who even when pressured looks downfield, the other has a qb who panics...........quess which team has which.

Sorry but this team is not going anywhere with dalton.................
1st and 10 with 14 seconds to go. Dalton to Green for 20 yards. Field goal wins it. Looks like Dalton is going back to the post season, and he's taking the team with him. So you're wrong.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
We can agree there. I just think it's a collective effort, whereas you think it's mostly on Andy.

Today, Benji had 15 carries for 14 yards. You can't sustain drives with numbers like that. AJ had a big drop and a huge fumble. He recovered, but those 2 plays are ones he can't make in the playoffs.

In the last 3 games (since Cook got back) we've given up 17 sacks. This after we only gave up 5 sacks in the previous 4 games. Cook needs to find the bench.

Against the Boys and Eagles, we had 14 drops, one of them on a sure TD (cost us a win). Can't have that. That's just terrible.

All these things have coincided with Andy's slide. When the guys around Andy are playing poorly, it's going to affect his performance as well. With Sanu out, everyone needs to step up. If they do, I have little doubt that Andy can lead us to wins.
Totally with you on Cook and the drops. Hampton was making Cook his bicth most of the day, which I'm sure was the main reason for BGE's horrible performance.
...and I don't know what it is with Green, but he seriously needs to refocus. He's looked more like Gresham the last 3 weeks, whereas Gresham has stepped it up. Maybe they switched minds...
Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 803

Lets look at some facts.

This guy is a WINNER. Period. That is the principal quality you want in a Quarterback. Since the AFL-NFL merger, he is only the seventh QB to take his team to back to back playoff years in his first 2 years in the league.

He is at the end of his SECOND year in the league. He has only had ONE training camp experience. There are QBs who have been in the league for yeas and have never tasted the playoffs.

He took a team that was 4-12 in 2010 and has engineered back to back winning seasons since I can't remember.

Don't forget how many drops his WRs have made this year. Otherwise, his completion stats would be MUCH better.

Everyone is so worried about STYLE in football. Yes, I would love to see Dalton accumulate 500 yards passing every game without a single drop from his WRs and throw for 6 TDs and crush every opponent by 28 pts. But, for Mike's sake, can't we rejoice in the fact that he is developing and winning.

He just took this team from 3-5 (where I thought they would NOT make the playoffs) to at least a 9-7 record (possibly 10-6) and the playoffs in the AFC North!

I think the guy is doing fine. He is at the end of his second year. Maybe you would rather have Cam Newton? Blaine Gabbert? Christian Ponder? They will all be home watching the playoffs this year.

Dalton has fire and passion. He has leadership. He has patience. He is cool under fire. This guy is going to be very good in the years to come.

If Dalton's inexperience and rookie/sophomore mistakes nets us back to back winning seasons and back to back playoff appearances, imagine what the future is going to look like for this team.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 59493

Quote:
whats the difference betwwen these two teams....one has a qb who even when pressured looks downfield, the other has a qb who panics...........quess which team has which.

Here is your hat sir. Wear it with pride:

Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3302

I love how everyone is picking apart Andy Dalton when he did what he did against the Number 1 defense in the league with absolutely NO running attack. ZERO. We could not run the Football, and every down it was obvious, we are going to pass it. He did well, despite two interceptions. One was a garbage time interception(throwing the ball back in, really?). Only one was an actual poor decision, which was completely counter balanced by the fact that he made an incredible throw to seal the game. So, haters can **** it. We're going to the playoffs back to back since 1981.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

Dalton makes more than his share of bad reads and throws. One big difference is in our WR's not being more on the spot and making plays, but they are all young and very inexperienced. Vet WR's would come back and, if they can't make the catch, at the very least play some DB to try and break up the INT.

It is funny to see people crediting Dalton with the Bengals making the playoffs two times in a row, like it has nothing to do with the rest of the team. Sunday, the defense won the game in spite of Dalton, scoring more as well. To state the back to back playoffs as though it were a feather in Dalton's cap, and not the result of tremendous defensive play, is misleading and a red herring.

Last edited by BengalRugby; 12-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bengal Fan View Post
Ben must also be shooting blanks or who knows how many kids he would have.
I've actually heard that alot of rapists have difficulty in that department.

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 12-25-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:

A lot was made earlier in the year about Dalton's play in the 4th quarter but nothing was said, as far as i've seen, about his numbers in the 4th against the Steelers.

10/14 71.4% 128 yds 9.1 ypa. The only blemish was the ridiculous tipped ball back in bounds int. Those numbers include the last play of the 3rd quarter, a 19 yd pass on 3rd and 10 from the 10 yard line.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Daltons deep ball is weak i don't care what anybody says.
fortunately nobody cares about what you say either.