Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Who would you rather play in the first round?
Ravens 9 34.62%
Patriots 6 23.08%
Texans 10 38.46%
Broncos 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20164
Default Re: Patriots or Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
I would agree with this because we should be a team that's man enough to set foot on the field with anyone and punch teams right in the mouth like we did to the Steelers today instead of pussyfooting around selective teams so we can beat the weakest one, this is the playoffs, you have to play good teams in order to win and and after what the Bengals did today I dont think the Patriots are "eager" to be seeing the Bengals either

I remember Bill Belichick purposedly losing their last home game of the season in on Jan 2, 2006 to avoid playing the Steelers and to play Jacksonville instead.

Patriots were the 4th seed and the Bengals were the 3rd seed, while the Steelers were the 6th seed. Jacksonville was the 5th seed.

Not many people remember that Bill took out Tom Brady after the first series and brought in Doug Flutie. To make matters worse, he had Doug use a drop kick, insead of a virtual automatic extra point during the game. A play that was last succesful in 1941!!!!

Did Bill go all out to get the 3rd seed? No, he was calculating to get the 4th seed instead of the 3rd seed. I remember looking at the Patriot forums and many of their fans were delighted to LOSE and not face the Steelers.

Within the article.

"With the Patriots already happy with their playoff seeding, Tom Brady sat out most of the game so Matt Cassel, who's usually No. 3 behind Flutie, could get some snaps. He hit Tim Dwight for a 9-yard touchdown with 6:10 left, and Flutie came onto the field with the kicking unit.?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277308

I saw the game and I could not believe my eyes, the Pats were heavy favored against the lowly Dolphins in New England in January. Yet Miami "won".

This made certain, the Bengals got the 3rd seed and played Pitt instead of Jacksonville.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

By the way, Cory Dillon the Patriots RB also did not play in the last game.

Coach's decision.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 785
Default Re: Texans, Broncos, Patriots or Ravens?! Who do we get in two weeks?

Fixed. Thanks.

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Comments ...

To: Paleo Conservative
I think the patriots lost on purpose so they could avoid the Steelers. The Bengals tried to avoid them but the patriots would not let them. LOL!

46posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:22:14 PMby buckeyesrule(Go Bucks! Beat the Irish....again!!!!)
[Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

************************************************** ************************************

New England trailed late in Sunday's football game here as it lined up for a point-after-touchdown. Something was odd - and it wasn't just that the champs were headed for a rare defeat at home. See, Patriots players were down there grinning behind their facemasks. Yucking and joshing. All but giggling.

"Their offensive line was kind of giddy," Dolphins end Vonnie Holliday said. "One of them was saying, `Wait'll you see this!' ''

It was a moment later that the Pats let local hero Doug Flutie take a curtain call on his long pro career by drop-kicking the extra point.
-----
Meantime, don't kid yourself that a full game of Brady and others Sunday would not have underlined the Pats' continuing clear edge over Miami, whose victory requires a mental asterisk.

New England's cavalier nonchalance about the result could not have been conveyed more clearly short of players' wives suiting up and taking the field.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
I remember Bill Belichick purposedly losing their last home game of the season in on Jan 2, 2006 to avoid playing the Steelers and to play Jacksonville instead.

Patriots were the 4th seed and the Bengals were the 3rd seed, while the Steelers were the 6th seed. Jacksonville was the 5th seed.

Not many people remember that Bill took out Tom Brady after the first series and brought in Doug Flutie. To make matters worse, he had Doug use a drop kick, insead of a virtual automatic extra point during the game. A play that was last succesful in 1941!!!!

Did Bill go all out to get the 3rd seed? No, he was calculating to get the 4th seed instead of the 3rd seed. I remember looking at the Patriot forums and many of their fans were delighted to LOSE and not face the Steelers.

Within the article.

"With the Patriots already happy with their playoff seeding, Tom Brady sat out most of the game so Matt Cassel, who's usually No. 3 behind Flutie, could get some snaps. He hit Tim Dwight for a 9-yard touchdown with 6:10 left, and Flutie came onto the field with the kicking unit.?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277308

I saw the game and I could not believe my eyes, the Pats were heavy favored against the lowly Dolphins in New England in January. Yet Miami "won".

This made certain, the Bengals got the 3rd seed and played Pitt instead of Jacksonville.
Right but that could all be rendered meaningless if the Bengals win and we've seen the whole 'rest the starters' schtick before the playoffs before and quite frankly, it's no different than playing hurt, teams lose games when they miss players and at the same time teams lose games when they have no momentum and Dalton hasnt beaten the Ravens yet, regardless of what the Ravens do he needs to get the win against that team for his own confidence and the team to carry the momentum of a 7-1 record entering the playoffs
Old 12-24-2012, 03:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Right but that could all be rendered meaningless if the Bengals win and we've seen the whole 'rest the starters' schtick before the playoffs before and quite frankly, it's no different than playing hurt, teams lose games when they miss players and at the same time teams lose games when they have no momentum and Dalton hasnt beaten the Ravens yet, regardless of what the Ravens do he needs to get the win against that team for his own confidence and the team to carry the momentum of a 7-1 record entering the playoffs

Please read these and get back to me.

http://patspulpit.blogspot.com/2006/...-28-recap.html

"I don't think it looked that convincing. I think, when it came down to it, Belichick wanted the No. 4 seed, and with Kansas City beating Cincinnati, and beating them well and easily all day, Belichick sent in the "dive." No chance a running back stumbles through a hole and sends the game to overtime. A nice little throwaway that no one could conceivable catch, and there's your fourth seed. "

How is it that the Patriots can send in their 2nd and 3rd stringers against Maimi's 1st stringers, yet we can't do the same?
See the link below.

http://nwe.scout.com/2/484340.html

http://patspulpit.blogspot.com/2006/...en-thread.html

Last edited by BengalYankee; 12-24-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3624

Quote:
Simple, if we lose to the Ravens and the Patriots lose to Miami we get the Ravens.

If we beat the Ravens, we get the Patriots.

Next week's game is meaningless since we are stuck in seed # 6.

Who do you prefer to play?
Why do you only throw out 2 scenarios. What happens if we lose to Balt but the Pats beat Miami instead of lose to them.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10170

I wanna see the Pats.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Please read these and get back to me.

http://patspulpit.blogspot.com/2006/...-28-recap.html

"I don't think it looked that convincing. I think, when it came down to it, Belichick wanted the No. 4 seed, and with Kansas City beating Cincinnati, and beating them well and easily all day, Belichick sent in the "dive." No chance a running back stumbles through a hole and sends the game to overtime. A nice little throwaway that no one could conceivable catch, and there's your fourth seed. "

How is it that the Patriots can send in their 2nd and 3rd stringers against Maimi's 1st stringers, yet we can't do the same?
See the link below.

http://nwe.scout.com/2/484340.html

http://patspulpit.blogspot.com/2006/...en-thread.html
Well when you mention it that way, what's stopping the Ravens from doing what the Patriots did when the paths of 3 and 4 would look like this?

3rd: host Bengals, guaranteed visit to Denver with win
4th: host Colts, probable visit to Houston with win

right now the Colts would definitely be perceived as the weaker team between them and the Bengals and then after that nobody wants to play Denver with what could be an 11 game win streak but they would want to play a Houston team who just lost at home to a lesser team

If you're the Ravens the choice of their path is pretty obvious
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26169

I would rather have them play the Ravens in the first round over the Patriots. In my opinion, the Patriots would be the toughest matchup in the AFC. I wouldn't sacrifice the next game in an attempt to draw the Ravens though,...it's not as if they're a bad team...

Really though, the team I want to play the most is the Houston Texans. I think the Bengals would match up against them well, and could slow down their run game enough to take the win. I'm rooting for a Patriots, Bengals and Colts win next weekend to make that happen.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:47 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 887

I would prefer it if they played the Patriots. I feel that our defense could keep Brady in check, and our offense should have no trouble moving the ball on their defense.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 2354

Patriots struggled with jacksonville yesterday..So I would want the bengals to play them!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9088

I would much rather the Bengals play the Patriots than the Ravens. I don't know why, I just think the Bengals can beat the Patriots right now.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 711

I would rather play the Ravens. A higher level of intensity with a division rival, and a scimmage game before the the playoffs.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56406

Man, I am just glad we made it still!

I dont care who we play honestly as I think we have a good enough team to beat anyone.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1810

The Ratbirds because as others have said are more familiar with them. That being said, I think that a game against the Patriots is very winable.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4287

For those saying they'd like to play Tue pats...we don't have the linebackers sf does in coverage. Gronk, hernandez and welker would be a nightmare.

I want the Texans.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1476
Default Who would you rather play in the first round?

If my calculations are right, if New England wins next week and the Colts beat Houston, we would play Houston in the first round. If Houston wins next week we will be seeing Mr Brady. Pick your poison.

Personally, I would rather get Houston as not only do I think we could win that game, but it would be nice to get some revenge for last year.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921

What's the chance we get a home playoff game?

If we play the Pats and beat them do we get a home game or travel to Denver or Houston?

Still debating on paying for my playoff tickets.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 466
Default Re: Who would you rather play in the first round?

Neither sounds good but Id much rather see them go to Houston.

Bengals always get killed by the Pats
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1787

I want the Pats, I don't know why though.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 63213

I want the texans...revenge is sweet.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Rep Points: 51942

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
What's the chance we get a home playoff game?

If we play the Pats and beat them do we get a home game or travel to Denver or Houston?

Still debating on paying for my playoff tickets.
As a No. 6 seed, the Bengals can not play any playoff games at home.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 20
Default Who Would you rather play in 1st round?

Ravens

Patriots

Broncos

Texans
Old 12-24-2012, 04:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26169
Default Re: Who Would you rather play in 1st round?

Houston