Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1955
Default Toast Newman

Some people on this board questioned the signing of Newman, but man was he huge today and pretty much all season. He was amazing in rush defense and totally shut down the side of the field Mike Wallace was on holding him to 1 catch. Pacman struggled today but ill give him a pass for battling through his hamstring injury, but have to say Hall and Newman get A+ in my book. Zimmer has truly revitalized his career.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4895
Default Re: Toast Newman

he has been a pleasant surprise this season!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29086

Some people were really hard on the Newman signing. I thought he would be a decent nickel, but he's really been a pleasant surprise as a starter. He's old though, so I'm really worried about the position for next year.

Newman will be 35. Clements is already done. Kirkpatrick and Allen are unknowns. We might need a good free agent at that position. Someone who can step right in.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Some people on this board questioned the signing of Newman, but man was he huge today and pretty much all season. He was amazing in rush defense and totally shut down the side of the field Mike Wallace was on holding him to 1 catch. Pacman struggled today but ill give him a pass for battling through his hamstring injury, but have to say Hall and Newman get A+ in my book. Zimmer has truly revitalized his career.

I wanna see that same coaching by Zimmers when were in the playoffs. Lets see if he can stay aggressive.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2649

Aside from the blown 60 yard touchdown the defense was rock solid and Newman did a very solid job.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 604

Newman is the only reason we did not feel the hurt of Allen being off the field all year.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Some people were really hard on the Newman signing. I thought he would be a decent nickel, but he's really been a pleasant surprise as a starter. He's old though, so I'm really worried about the position for next year.

Newman will be 35. Clements is already done. Kirkpatrick and Allen are unknowns. We might need a good free agent at that position. Someone who can step right in.
Between now and next year Kirkpatrick needs to get healthy and step right in or he's a wasted pick. ijs
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

I would mention Reggie Nelson. Gosh he is a ball hawk when it matters. Very underrated, is playing very well lately. And he came in a trade for david jones, what a great business!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

Quote:

Maybe get Xavier Rhodes would help too
Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 711

Yeah, I'm one that wasn't thrilled with the Newman signing. I thought Newman was going to be toasted on the field just like he was last year. I was wrong.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
I was one that questioned it and always thought he sould have been better in DAL.

I saw him play here at KSU, even played B-Ball with him at the KSU REC a few times. His senior year he was one of the best players in the nation and was a great KR, a true athelete.

He has been solid the last half of the season, now lets hope we don't have to "depend" on him next year and our first round pick steps up.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 61520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Aside from the blown 60 yard touchdown the defense was rock solid and Newman did a very solid job.
Adam Jones bit on the same double move that Andre Johson caught him on in last years playoffs. Im surprised teams dont go to formations that isolate Jones on the outside and use that move more often. I hope Zimmer is coaching him up on how to defend that better.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Not really sure how anyone could have had a problem with the bengals signing Newman
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 61520

Newman also had the presence of mind to push Reggie Nelson out of bounds and save time on the clock after his INT. You can see as Nelson runs the sideline, he goes to cut back inside, but Newman shoves him out of bounds. Only a seasoned vet would think to do that.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13775

I didn't expect much from Newman. He's been surprisingly solid.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

Why were people mad about Newman did he cost a lot of money? NO! Be mad at Jason Allen, I get it. CB's are going to get burned, all of them do. But he's done a decent job and its not like he's making $8 mill a year.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32199

Quote:

I know Allen ***** on Special teams....

In the NFL age doesnt matter playing ability does.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Great point, and I read that Reggie Nelson was supposed to blitz but didn't for some reason and that was why Adam sold out on the short pattern. Nonetheless, a learning experience. The defense is playing amazing right now. Absolutely amazing, and it is a true team effort.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsBong View Post
Newman is the only reason we did not feel the hurt of Allen being off the field all year.
After Allen's 2 mistakes....I would rather him be off the field for the remaining year. haha