Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM
EyeOfTheTiger EyeOfTheTiger is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 204
Rep Points: 297
Default Do Ravens want to lose next game?

With a win and NE loss, they would be third seed and play the Bengals.

With a loss, they would play the Colts.

Do you think they will rest their starters to try and play the Colts?

Do you think playing starters is even worth it for either team next week with the possibility of playing the other team again the next game in the playoffs. I don't see anything but vanilla formations. No one is going to show their hand. No one is going to want to get game film on their players to be exploited for tendencies. We play Dalton or anyone else and they see a tendency they can exploit on film - it could easily cause a huge play for them the next game.

If the Ravens do rest their starters, will we really gain any momentum? Playing against scrubs and vanilla formations? That will get us in sync? I could see a battle for the AFCN crown giving us momentum, but noy a meaningless win over 3rd and 4th stringers. Get in sync in practice.

A loss takes away our momentum if we purposely rest our starters? How? We didn't evn try to win so how can a loss affect us?

Let's not be delusional and think having a week off hurts a team. Why do you think teams fight so hard for that bye? A fresh, rested, prepared team is so much better than a weary, injured team.

If hey do play 3rd/4th stringers - you dont think thy are going o be rabid o prove themselves? This is their ONLY chance to show that they belong - they are going to try and have the most epic games of their lives. Just look at Herron - you dont think he isnt trying at a super elevated level? Now imagine a 4th string CB on the Ravensv doing thevsame by laying out Green. Bottom line, the sight of an injured Dalton on the ground, Green limping off the field, or Atkins being carted off should tell everyone what the right decision is.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM
growler growler is offline
Graduated Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 21
Rep Points: 41
Default Re: Do Ravens want to lose next game?

NE's not losing at home to miami...

if all goes as planned and indy beats houston, then cincy plays at houston...now, if houston wins at indy, kc beats denver, ravens beat cincy and NE loses to miami, then all hell breaks loose...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM
fumetti fumetti is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rural, 4 hrs from Cincy
Posts: 989
Rep Points: 2731
Default Re: Do Ravens want to lose next game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
With a win and NE loss, they would be third seed and play the Bengals.

With a loss, they would play the Colts.

Do you think they will rest their starters to try and play the Colts?
No. Because that's trading away a higher seed later when it could mean the difference between playing at home or on the road, for a first round choice between which inferior foe you want in a home game. Not a good approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
Do you think playing starters is even worth it for either team next week with the possibility of playing the other team again the next game in the playoffs. I don't see anything but vanilla formations. No one is going to show their hand. No one is going to want to get game film on their players to be exploited for tendencies. We play Dalton or anyone else and they see a tendency they can exploit on film - it could easily cause a huge play for them the next game.
They already have a season's worth of film. Going vanilla won't change that. So maybe don't introduce anything new. And maybe use a lot of formations, plays, personnel, etc that you DON'T intend to use in the playoffs. But don't go "vanilla." That's boring, it concedes the game before it's played, and keeps players' bodies at risk for nothing.

Cincy gains nothing meaningful by winning except morale, but Baltimore could gain a higher seed. So I expect Baltimore to play to win, if for no other reason than continuing what they did yesterday to get the bad taste of a mid/late season slump out of their mouths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
If the Ravens do rest their starters, will we really gain any momentum? Playing against scrubs and vanilla formations? That will get us in sync? I could see a battle for the AFCN crown giving us momentum, but noy a meaningless win over 3rd and 4th stringers. Get in sync in practice.
You leave out mindset. Cincy needs to keep its mind right. They're young and not used to winning. So the more wins the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
A loss takes away our momentum if we purposely rest our starters? How? We didn't evn try to win so how can a loss affect us?
Cincy did not win any of the week 17 games prior to our last three playoff appearances (2005, 2009, 2011). We got blown away in all three playoff games. We clearly did not try to win against the Jets by sitting certain players; but the starters who played tried their best and got utterly obliterated in the week 17 game and then beat again a week later. Didn't beat Baltimore last year, and lost the last two in 2005 after winning the division. That's pretty solid evidence that you're on the wrong side of this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
Let's not be delusional and think having a week off hurts a team. Why do you think teams fight so hard for that bye? A fresh, rested, prepared team is so much better than a weary, injured team.
Cincy is what, 5-20 or so after a bye week all-time? So I'd say Cincinnati should avoid anything resembling a "week off" at all costs. Play, play to win. But take out key players when the game turns against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
If hey do play 3rd/4th stringers - you dont think thy are going o be rabid o prove themselves? This is their ONLY chance to show that they belong - they are going to try and have the most epic games of their lives. Just look at Herron - you dont think he isnt trying at a super elevated level? Now imagine a 4th string CB on the Ravensv doing thevsame by laying out Green. Bottom line, the sight of an injured Dalton on the ground, Green limping off the field, or Atkins being carted off should tell everyone what the right decision is.
Again, we've seen that already. All but a few players played and played hard--including all those backups trying to prove something--during the week 17 game in NY and that yielded nothing the next week in the wild card game.

The WORST thing Cincy can do is make decisions based on fear. Can't be afraid to lose, can't be afraid to get injured, can't let fear dictate action.

I say play, play to win, and keep the upward momentum. The only way I take out players is if they're getting hit too much. If Balt is getting to Dalton, pull him. If Balt is nailing AJ, pull him. That would not be an act of fear of what might happen but rather a response to what is really happening.

The only thing we know for certain right now is that the timid approach has yielded NOTHING under Lewis. So why keep doing it that way?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
EyeOfTheTiger EyeOfTheTiger is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 204
Rep Points: 297
Default Re: Do Ravens want to lose next game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
No. Because that's trading away a higher seed later when it could mean the difference between playing at home or on the road, for a first round choice between which inferior foe you want in a home game. Not a good approach.



They already have a season's worth of film. Going vanilla won't change that. So maybe don't introduce anything new. And maybe use a lot of formations, plays, personnel, etc that you DON'T intend to use in the playoffs. But don't go "vanilla." That's boring, it concedes the game before it's played, and keeps players' bodies at risk for nothing.

Cincy gains nothing meaningful by winning except morale, but Baltimore could gain a higher seed. So I expect Baltimore to play to win, if for no other reason than continuing what they did yesterday to get the bad taste of a mid/late season slump out of their mouths.



You leave out mindset. Cincy needs to keep its mind right. They're young and not used to winning. So the more wins the better.



Cincy did not win any of the week 17 games prior to our last three playoff appearances (2005, 2009, 2011). We got blown away in all three playoff games. We clearly did not try to win against the Jets by sitting certain players; but the starters who played tried their best and got utterly obliterated in the week 17 game and then beat again a week later. Didn't beat Baltimore last year, and lost the last two in 2005 after winning the division. That's pretty solid evidence that you're on the wrong side of this argument.



Cincy is what, 5-20 or so after a bye week all-time? So I'd say Cincinnati should avoid anything resembling a "week off" at all costs. Play, play to win. But take out key players when the game turns against you.



Again, we've seen that already. All but a few players played and played hard--including all those backups trying to prove something--during the week 17 game in NY and that yielded nothing the next week in the wild card game.

The WORST thing Cincy can do is make decisions based on fear. Can't be afraid to lose, can't be afraid to get injured, can't let fear dictate action.

I say play, play to win, and keep the upward momentum. The only way I take out players is if they're getting hit too much. If Balt is getting to Dalton, pull him. If Balt is nailing AJ, pull him. That would not be an act of fear of what might happen but rather a response to what is really happening.

The only thing we know for certain right now is that the timid approach has yielded NOTHING under Lewis. So why keep doing it that way?
We don't get injured. I really do not understand how the prospect of whatever momentum gained (debatable) is worth the prospect of an injured Dalton/Green/Gresham.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.