Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1407
Default Re: Celebrating a Sack is now a penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
This call infuriated me.

Brett Keisel has been doing this for years while doing to a knee. I guess they decided to wait until it really mattered to make it a penalty...

I also like how the bengal defender that drove straight into Ben's knees wasn't flagged at all.
A steeler fan complaining about a knee shot........ lmfao , now I have seen everything.

Welcome to the Dark side young Padawan
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3470

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutisBuckeye View Post
A steeler fan complaining about a knee shot........ lmfao , now I have seen everything.
Hey, it wasn't a penalty then chief

This message has been brought to you by Carson Palmer's career. He would like to thank you for your continued sympathy and sour grapes. Yummy
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 466

Seems they made up for it with a phontom running Ito the kicker penalty
Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11120

The call against Keisel was shocking. I can't imagine I've seen more than a few Keisel sacks in my lifetime, and yet I knew exactly what he was going to do because I've seen it before. All of a sudden calling it is BS.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1407

Quote:
Hey, it wasn't a penalty then chief

This message has been brought to you by Carson Palmer's career. He would like to thank you for your continued sympathy and sour grapes. Yummy
lol neither was kimo's knee shot .... so I guess we're even now get over the loss and move on chump boy.

Welcome to the Dark side young Padawan
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13906

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyWalker View Post
Seems they made up for it with a phontom running Ito the kicker penalty
Have you ever watched football before?

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhos View Post
Did I miss something?

When did "going to the ground" in celebration of a defensive play equal a penalty?

I know it was against the Steelers, but that's just a stupid rule. Let these guys celebrate, man. TDs, sacks, and in the case of Antonio Brown every catch no matter if it went for positive yards.
There has been rules on the books, mostly unenforced, since the Joe Kleko and Marc Gastineau had that Indian celebration for the Jets in the 80s. The refs have been letting players get away with more and more of it.

It was good to see it enforced as it can be taunting.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12348

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6 View Post
There has been rules on the books, mostly unenforced, since the Joe Kleko and Marc Gastineau had that Indian celebration for the Jets in the 80s. The refs have been letting players get away with more and more of it.

It was good to see it enforced as it can be taunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Umm....Ben's knee bent slightly backwards.

This is impossible if the defender was not on his knees. This was, by rule, a penalty. If we're going to sit here and call Keisel's "celebration" a penalty, then by all means, let's call a spade a spade. The low hit on Ben was illegal.

What's shocking is that I cannot recall a single low hit ever being called on Ben. But I've seen it called a million times on other QB's.

Anyway the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of the game, just pointing out facts. That should've been a penalty if you're going to call Keisels one as well.
You can still tackle the QB around his knees. You are not allowed to dive into the front or side of QB's knees while he's in the pocket. You can dive at them from behind while they scramble, which happens to Ben often. The defender will typically get the benefit of the doubt in a case where a blocker takes him off his feet, which was what happened to Gilberry. Gilberry was already on the ground in front of Ben, and Atkins plowed Ben over the top of Gilberry, which is legal. However, if you're coming untouched and decide to take the QB out at the knees, that's illegal.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6716

That was a ridiculous call. Couldn't even celebrate when it happened. Led to a fall of the NFL conversation afterwards between us and nearby Steelers fans. I know, it benefited our team, but that was pretty weak.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18488

Quote:
Umm....Ben's knee bent slightly backwards.

This is impossible if the defender was not on his knees. This was, by rule, a penalty. If we're going to sit here and call Keisel's "celebration" a penalty, then by all means, let's call a spade a spade. The low hit on Ben was illegal.

What's shocking is that I cannot recall a single low hit ever being called on Ben. But I've seen it called a million times on other QB's.

Anyway the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of the game, just pointing out facts. That should've been a penalty if you're going to call Keisels one as well.
I don't think Keisel should have been flagged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Yes, they will both have a role. MLJ will be the WR2. And Sanu will be the 5th or 6th receiving option.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
I don't think Keisel should have been flagged.
It's a dumb rule, IMO, but it's still the rules. Stuff like that is where the No Fun League jokes come from.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
It's a dumb rule, IMO, but it's still the rules. Stuff like that is where the No Fun League jokes come from.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Yes, they will both have a role. MLJ will be the WR2. And Sanu will be the 5th or 6th receiving option.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1588

Quote:
Did I miss something?

When did "going to the ground" in celebration of a defensive play equal a penalty?

I know it was against the Steelers, but that's just a stupid rule. Let these guys celebrate, man. TDs, sacks, and in the case of Antonio Brown every catch no matter if it went for positive yards.
Seriously. Brown looked like a clown. He celebrated every play like he just won a super bowl. What's even worse was the steeler fans every time Miller did anything. He caught the ball for a loss of 2 yards...."HEAAAATHHHHHHH". Really?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13746

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyLeisure View Post
Seriously. Brown looked like a clown. He celebrated every play like he just won a super bowl. What's even worse was the steeler fans every time Miller did anything. He caught the ball for a loss of 2 yards...."HEAAAATHHHHHHH". Really?
Brown is a joke. I couldve sworn yesterday he pointed first down after a catch when he was a yard behind the first down marker. Dude is a clown. But kudos on him actually getting a real receiving TD yesterday. No garbage time, no fumbling the ball on the one and having it squirt to him in the ensuing scrum. A real TD catch, congrats!

The crowd chanting heath was annoying but you have to respect the way the guy plays. He does it all and he has great hands. I hate the fact that he plays for pittsburgh because he is probably one of the best TE in the game and he gets little credit for that. Id kill to have him over gresham
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
Have you ever watched football before?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13906

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyWalker View Post
I will take that as this is your first year.....have fun.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18257

Quote:
Originally Posted by browns town bengal View Post
Brown is a joke. I couldve sworn yesterday he pointed first down after a catch when he was a yard behind the first down marker. Dude is a clown. But kudos on him actually getting a real receiving TD yesterday. No garbage time, no fumbling the ball on the one and having it squirt to him in the ensuing scrum. A real TD catch, congrats!

The crowd chanting heath was annoying but you have to respect the way the guy plays. He does it all and he has great hands. I hate the fact that he plays for pittsburgh because he is probably one of the best TE in the game and he gets little credit for that. Id kill to have him over gresham
Miller is very underrated. He doesn't have the flashy stats or the best speed but the guy is just a work horse and he constantly produces year in and year out. Top 5 Tight End in my opinion.

Brown, Sanders, Wallace all 3 ****** me off this season. Fumbles, Dropped balls..just acting like fools. I can't stand that. They need to step it up next season and be more mature..hold onto the ball.

I hope Wallace is gone.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1139

Quote:
Did I miss something?

You must be a ravens fan
O.o

Hi Denny. Your secrets safe with me
Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17722

The call on Keisel was cheap. I agree with others, let the game be fun. He was not standing over an OL taunting him in any way. The league went from one extreme to the other with celebrations.

As far as the refs, overall they did a good job of letting two dominant defenses play. Did anyone notice miller get mad at Reggie for hitting him low? i find that hilarious due to the fact Troy has been going low to the knees on guys his entire career. Reggie had no option either because if he goes high, he gets the old hit on a defenseless receiver penalty. That is another rule that needs to be revisited. In my opinion once a receiver jumps in the air, a defender should not be able to launch, but the target area should expand. It is near impossible at game speed to figure out where you will end up hitting a guy as he is coming down to the ground.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 12-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11120

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyLeisure View Post
You have to remember that this is the group that brought in half a football team to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a catch,
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
You have to remember that this is the group that brought in half a football team to celebrate the 40th anniversary of a catch,
yeah, an illegal catch at that.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
yeah, an illegal catch at that.
I'll be waiting for that proof you have of a 40 year old play being illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
...promoting sexism is actually a beautiful thing
Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdino View Post
I'll be waiting for that proof you have of a 40 year old play being illegal.
Rule back then was it could not be touched by another member of your team first. Number 33 of Steelers touched the ball first making the catch illegal and a bown call.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1740

They've been enforcing going to the ground during celebrations illegal for a few years.. see Jared Allen's lasso/rodeo sack celebration that he had to alter about a year or 2 ago. If he can why can't Keisel?