Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17190
Default PFF, the Penultimate

Before I begin, Merry Christmas to all/Buon Natale a tutti. I hope everyone has enjoyed this early Christmas gift we all received on Sunday; I know I have!

Before I post the numbers, I just want to say that while this was a defensive game of attrition, Andy had IMO a top 3 game this year; the numbers don't show it, but he made great throws and made VERY few bad decisions.

As well, people roasting the oline; 6 sacks is not a good thing, however if only 4 are by the line, plus only ONE other pressure (a hurry) against a great Stoolers front 7, the line didn't play THAT poorly; 5 total pressures is a great day.

Oh, and Whalen had a BRILLIANT catch, as well Conner was basically useless.

Top 5 on O:

1. Whitworth with a +3.8. Perfect game, and positive in the run game. Shut down Harrison yet again. So, I thought he struggled against speed rushers?

2. 'dre with a +3.3. Also a perfect game, against Woodley, and while he wasn't super in the run game, he had a good play on a screen as well.

3. Andy with a +2.6. Both my father, myself, 2 guys at work that watched the game, and a DIE HARD Stoolers friend of the family we went to tonight, all agreed that Andy had a very good game, despite the numbers. If he plays like this in the playoffs (minus the first pick, which was one of few bad decisions he made), we will be more than fine.

4. Marvin Jones with a +1.8. His coming out party. A great game, and he should've caught that TD. Getting better with more reps though, we don't need a receiver next year if Sanu is perfectly healthy.

5. Tate with a +1.0. His one snap was the longest play of the day; what a great run by Tate. Now if only he could move like that on returns, maybe he would be worth something...

Top 5 on D:

1. Geno with a +9.6. By PFF's take (as they count half sacks as full sacks), 4 sacks, and 2 hurries, plus some great push in the run game. Sorry, JJ Watt is NOT doing better IMO, even with his ridiculous year.

2. Dunlap with a +4.8. 2 batted passes and **5** stops in the run game. Wow. Dunlap is not as ferocious a beast as Geno, but he's not far off.

3. MJ with a +3.6. Great, disciplined run D, even did well in coverage! Pass rush still needs to improve, but he's tons ahead of where he was last year. Pay him, but not as much.

4. Leon with a +2.4. Our best corner since Ambrose (and probably better than him too) has been nothing short of phenomenal this year. While he's probably not as deserving of the PB as some people, he best make it soon, as he should've been in twice by now.

5. Nelson with a +2.3. Reggie comes out to play everyday, and he too is deserving of a PB. Moving into the elite section of the league at S

Bottom 5 on O:

Gresh (for poor run blocking, otherwise played well)
Roland (for awful run blocking)
Lawfirm (gave up a sack, lost yards after gaining 3 or so on the pass, and then the running was awful all day)
Zeitler (bad pass blocking, but wow was he awful run blocking. Hood outmatched him, and Hood is the worst 3-4 end of the past 5 years, easily)
Cook (2 sacks and horrid run blocking. Played miles worse than the previous 2 weeks)

Bottom 5 on D:

Geathers (for poor pass rush, even though run game was alright)
Adam Jones (for poor coverage)
Clements (negative everywhere; useless yesterday)
Peko (for poor Run game, though I saw no problems...)
Rey (for bad coverage and run game, even though he was better than Burfict in the run game, and better than Adam in coverage )

Allen was hit hard on teams, as he's garbage, and Huber/Brown were high green. Adam Jones rated high on punts, as usual.

Hope everyone has a great week, and enjoy this!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm6CheT6rs

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLfiNRJwmnU

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-25-2012, 02:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7648
Default Re: PFF, the Penultimate

Merry Christmas my friend and thanks for the write up

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3179

Glad to see PFF agrees Andy had a good game (mechanically that is). I knew my eyes weren't lying. Unfortunately the Steelers D had a better game.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Pretty much just reiterates what all Bengals fans know: Geno is a bad, bad man.

Kyle Cook was TERRIBLE. I'll say what I've been saying all along, if this line can get an above-average center and keep him there, this is the best line in football imo.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Pretty much just reiterates what all Bengals fans know: Geno is a bad, bad man.

Kyle Cook was TERRIBLE. I'll say what I've been saying all along, if this line can get an above-average center and keep him there, this is the best line in football imo.
We already got one. His name is Trevor Robinson. At least that's what it seems based on his small body of work.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8715

I reviewed the game and Dalton wasn't that bad at all. The Steelers were blitzing big and our Oline struggled ( like vs the Eagles ) and we have to fix that in playoffs.

Our running game was awful and it didn"t help at all.

Dalton came very close ( AJ 3 times - Marvin 1 time ) to win us the game earlier.

But this win will make a huge statement in the locker room.

We came to win in Pittsburgh and we did.

“How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, ****, ****, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? ”

Charles Bukowski.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22120

While I don't agree with Dalton having a great game, some bad reads and throws, the defense really stepped it up and brought home the win. The d-line is the best I've ever seen it, and that just makes everything easier for the rest of the defense.

The flip side being the o-line looking terrible again, coincidence they've been struggling since Cook has been re-injected into the lineup? GE isn't a good enough back to make something from nothing, so the running game was dead. The receivers need to fight more when Andy throws a bad ball, but they're so young that it's not second nature to do so yet and hence Dalton having more picks than if he had vet options at WR.

Great to come out of Pittsburgh with a W, and fantastic to see the Bengals taking the reins and earning a spot in the post season.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

First of all Mery Christmas!

That being said it is not suprising that Dalton graded out well. I thought he threw the ball exceptionally well against the best defense in the NFL playing inspired football.

I've been a Rey hater but I actually thought he played well. Suprised that he graded poorly again. Particularly, I think the play right before the pick 6 he did a good job in coverage. Still ready to part ways with the guy after the season but he has improved.

The whole Cook situation is really starting to **** me off. Starting to remind me of Roland over Collins, Livings over Mathis.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 61520

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
The whole Cook situation is really starting to **** me off. Starting to remind me of Roland over Collins, Livings over Mathis.
Cook has pics of Paul Alexander in compromising positions apparently.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Before I begin, Merry Christmas to all/Buon Natale a tutti. I hope everyone has enjoyed this early Christmas gift we all received on Sunday; I know I have!

Before I post the numbers, I just want to say that while this was a defensive game of attrition, Andy had IMO a top 3 game this year; the numbers don't show it, but he made great throws and made VERY few bad decisions.

As well, people roasting the oline; 6 sacks is not a good thing, however if only 4 are by the line, plus only ONE other pressure (a hurry) against a great Stoolers front 7, the line didn't play THAT poorly; 5 total pressures is a great day.

Top 5 on O:

1. Whitworth with a +3.8. Perfect game, and positive in the run game. Shut down Harrison yet again. So, I thought he struggled against speed rushers?

2. 'dre with a +3.3. Also a perfect game, against Woodley, and while he wasn't super in the run game, he had a good play on a screen as well.

3. Andy with a +2.6. Both my father, myself, 2 guys at work that watched the game, and a DIE HARD Stoolers friend of the family we went to tonight, all agreed that Andy had a very good game, despite the numbers. If he plays like this in the playoffs (minus the first pick, which was one of few bad decisions he made), we will be more than fine.

4. Marvin Jones with a +1.8. His coming out party. A great game, and he should've caught that TD. Getting better with more reps though, we don't need a receiver next year if Sanu is perfectly healthy.

5. Tate with a +1.0. His one snap was the longest play of the day; what a great run by Tate. Now if only he could move like that on returns, maybe he would be worth something...

Top 5 on D:

1. Geno with a +9.6. By PFF's take (as they count half sacks as full sacks), 4 sacks, and 2 hurries, plus some great push in the run game. Sorry, JJ Watt is NOT doing better IMO, even with his ridiculous year.

2. Dunlap with a +4.8. 2 batted passes and **5** stops in the run game. Wow. Dunlap is not as ferocious a beast as Geno, but he's not far off.

3. MJ with a +3.6. Great, disciplined run D, even did well in coverage! Pass rush still needs to improve, but he's tons ahead of where he was last year. Pay him, but not as much.

4. Leon with a +2.4. Our best corner since Ambrose (and probably better than him too) has been nothing short of phenomenal this year. While he's probably not as deserving of the PB as some people, he best make it soon, as he should've been in twice by now.

5. Nelson with a +2.3. Reggie comes out to play everyday, and he too is deserving of a PB. Moving into the elite section of the league at S

Bottom 5 on O:

Lawfirm (gave up a sack, lost yards after gaining 3 or so on the pass, and then the running was awful all day)
Zeitler (bad pass blocking, but wow was he awful run blocking. Hood outmatched him, and Hood is the worst 3-4 end of the past 5 years, easily)
Cook (2 sacks and horrid run blocking. Played miles worse than the previous 2 weeks)

Bottom 5 on D:

Rey (for bad coverage and run game, even though he was better than Burfict in the run game, and better than Adam in coverage )

Harrison is not a speed rusher

Anyway both tackles played amazing, I was worried about Smith after that game against Philly, but he shut Woodley down.

It seemed as though we would get a good drive going then as soon as we got across the 50 just shot ourselves in the foot (funmble, tipped pass resulting in a pick, trying a 56 yard FG ) Andy did have some high throws, and some of his deep ones were just a little bit out of reach, but overall he did play a solid game under pressure.

Definitely liked what I saw out of Marvin Jones. Hopefully he can consistently get better.

Nelson is the man, while voting for him to go to the probowl I noticed he was leading all AFC free safety's in tackles...I think he has dropped a little bit because of those missed games, but still.

Thanks for posting, and Merry Christmas...just curious what was Polumalu's rating? It seemed like he was wiffing on a tackle every other play
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Nate Livings gave them to him after he left for Dallas
Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 297

Quote:
Paul Alexander is a moron. Took something that was exceptional and made it putrid. Kinda wish that new IR rule had been put in next year. A gimpy Cook over a very good Robinson?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 297

Quote:

Top 5 on O:

Top 5 on D:

Bottom 5 on O:

Bottom 5 on D:

Allen was hit hard on teams, as he's garbage, and Huber/Brown were high green. Adam Jones rated high on punts, as usual.

And this

Burfict had a +0.9.

Maualuga had a -2.2.

Nice trying to manipulate perception again....

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/12/2...ls-vs-steelers
Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
Glad to see PFF agrees Andy had a good game (mechanically that is). I knew my eyes weren't lying. Unfortunately the Steelers D had a better game.
This just puts in perspective their grading system, and why Russell Wilson's grade is massive, while Andy's isn't; say what you want about him being a rookie, but Wilson makes VERY few mistakes, and he keeps that offense moving. even if his numbers aren't as good as Andy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
First of all Mery Christmas!

That being said it is not suprising that Dalton graded out well. I thought he threw the ball exceptionally well against the best defense in the NFL playing inspired football.

I've been a Rey hater but I actually thought he played well. Suprised that he graded poorly again. Particularly, I think the play right before the pick 6 he did a good job in coverage. Still ready to part ways with the guy after the season but he has improved.

Buon natale! And yes, I'm not surprised, but I am a bit puzzled as to how his coverage numbers equate to as bad a rating as they did (especially since they never led to anything)

Also saw him shed at least 4 blocks in the run game, and we never notice that, except as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Harrison is not a speed rusher

Anyway both tackles played amazing, I was worried about Smith after that game against Philly, but he shut Woodley down.

It seemed as though we would get a good drive going then as soon as we got across the 50 just shot ourselves in the foot (funmble, tipped pass resulting in a pick, trying a 56 yard FG ) Andy did have some high throws, and some of his deep ones were just a little bit out of reach, but overall he did play a solid game under pressure.

Definitely liked what I saw out of Marvin Jones. Hopefully he can consistently get better.

Nelson is the man, while voting for him to go to the probowl I noticed he was leading all AFC free safety's in tackles...I think he has dropped a little bit because of those missed games, but still.

Thanks for posting, and Merry Christmas...just curious what was Polumalu's rating? It seemed like he was wiffing on a tackle every other play
He is a LB, therefore he is a speed rusher (people on this board saying this, not me; I was merely reiterating )

Buon Natale as well! And Troy graded at +1.6, mainly due to his 4 pass rushes which led to a sack and a punt, as his run game he was barely positive (3 MTs), and his coverage grade was negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
Burfict had a +0.9.

Maualuga had a -2.2.

Nice trying to manipulate perception again....

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/12/2...ls-vs-steelers
Oh yeah, I'm manipulating when Burfict only had 2 tackles, no stops, and a MT, while Rey had 3 tackles, 2 stops, and no MTs.

And in coverage, he was 3 for 5 for 28 yards, 7 YAC, while Adam was 3 for 6 for 84 yards, and a ton of YAC due to the 60 yard TD. But Adam had a better day in coverage, right?

Shut up.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
While I don't agree with Dalton having a great game, some bad reads and throws, the defense really stepped it up and brought home the win. The d-line is the best I've ever seen it, and that just makes everything easier for the rest of the defense.

The flip side being the o-line looking terrible again, coincidence they've been struggling since Cook has been re-injected into the lineup? GE isn't a good enough back to make something from nothing, so the running game was dead. The receivers need to fight more when Andy throws a bad ball, but they're so young that it's not second nature to do so yet and hence Dalton having more picks than if he had vet options at WR.

Great to come out of Pittsburgh with a W, and fantastic to see the Bengals taking the reins and earning a spot in the post season.
I agree with most of this but after rewatching the game I don't think Andy had a bad game as opposed to a bad quarter. I realized he missed oppourtunities to burst the game wide open. And that string lasted from the end of the second all the way through half way point of the third.

Some ppl on these boards consider that backing into the playoffs which I don't understand, you win 6of7 games but your going backward.😯

What was Burfict score?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

At this stage in his career, Harrison is not a speed rusher.

Regardless of him being a linebacker.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
He is a LB, therefore he is a speed rusher (people on this board saying this, not me; I was merely reiterating )

Buon Natale as well! And Troy graded at +1.6, mainly due to his 4 pass rushes which led to a sack and a punt, as his run game he was barely positive (3 MTs), and his coverage grade was negative.
3 missed tackles seems way to low for that game. I counted at least 5. I am probably going to go back and watch the game again tomorrow and I am going to get an accurate count on how many times Polumalu was in place to make a tackle and completely missed.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
At this stage in his career, Harrison is not a speed rusher.

Regardless of him being a linebacker.
The guy benches 425x5 times. He is a power rusher through and through. He has lost a step and isn't as fast as he used to be, so the speed aspect of his game is not there at all now.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1414

Quote:

Top 5 on O:

Top 5 on D:

Bottom 5 on O:

Bottom 5 on D:

And this

I forgot to say Dunlap absolute monster you could see Ben worried about him all game (his eyes would drift toward him then boom geno nails him) to the point They chipped him almost every pass play the second half. It was down right nasty how he was taking a dump on their rt.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17329

First off Merry Christmas everyone.

2nd thanks for posting Truck, good stuff

3rd IMHO Geno is the defensive player of the year ! Has anyone had that many sacks from the inside ever ? He's disruptive on oh so many plays even when he gets no tackle.

4th I have to admit Maualuga is playing much better and is leaps and bounds better in coverage than he was earlier this season.

5th Andy did have a pretty good game all things considered ! Let's hope O-line issues get ironed out because if they do........ WHY NOT US ?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39539

First Off Merry Christmas one and all.

Now:

My Fantasy Football League disagreed with the fact Andy had a good game

Rey always ranks as our worst defender; however, or some reason folks keep saying he's playing better

My man Sims with a good score while Peko's stinking it up

Hope Paul Alexander got a lump of coal in his stocking this morning. Luckily Cook's play doesn't directly effect our OTs; unfotunately, it effects our OGs.

Can't say anything more about Geno and the DEs are impressive

We are one safety and a healthy Dre K from being an elite D backfield. 2 linebacker away from being an elite D.

Glad to see Big Dre bounce back.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1787

Quote:
Alexander has some kind of weird fatty fetish. Just look at every lineman that can't get a fair shot here. Mathis, Collins, Robinson, we let Steiney walk. None of them are as large as their competition for playing time, In Alexanders mind bigger is always better. He's obviously knowledgable on the position but this fetish is a problem.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19220

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post
Alexander has some kind of weird fatty fetish. Just look at every lineman that can't get a fair shot here. Mathis, Collins, Robinson, we let Steiney walk. None of them are as large as their competition for playing time, In Alexanders mind bigger is always better. He's obviously knowledgable on the position but this fetish is a problem.
He just likes to have guys around whose guts are bigger than his own. You make a very valid point, btw.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19220

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
I forgot to say Dunlap absolute monster you could see Ben worried about him all game (his eyes would drift toward him then boom geno nails him) to the point They chipped him almost every pass play the second half. It was down right nasty how he was taking a dump on their rt.
He has also really gotten his run D together this year.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1787

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
He just likes to have guys around whose guts are bigger than his own. You make a very valid point, btw.
Thanks. Also look at the guys we draft. Otis Hudson, Stacey Andrews, Andre Smith. He loves huge.