Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:22 AM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,300
Rep Points: 5129
Default What happens at the DT position?

Seems to be a little jam at DT on this team right now. Everyone is playing well, and we have a 2nd and 3rd round pick riding the bench. Obviously Still and Thompson will get more time next season, but what will happen on game days?

It's a perfect problem to have, but it seems a little impractical to have 2 good DTs siting on the bench all year. What do you think happens, because as far as I know, they're all signed through next year.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,363
Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Seems to be a little jam at DT on this team right now. Everyone is playing well, and we have a 2nd and 3rd round pick riding the bench. Obviously Still and Thompson will get more time next season, but what will happen on game days?

It's a perfect problem to have, but it seems a little impractical to have 2 good DTs siting on the bench all year. What do you think happens, because as far as I know, they're all signed through next year.
It would appear on the surface that Pat Sims would be the odd man out as he is playing on a 1 year deal and will be a FA at the end of this season. I doubt we drafted Still and Thompson on a whim. I would have to think they looked at them as BPA when each was selected.

Does it mean they are guaranteed roster spots in 2013? I would not think so. I think if the team feels Sims is a better option than either of these guys that they will retain his services and it will be a roster battle of who wants it the most. Great problem to have.

I think we know that Atkins and Peko have the starting spots so from there it is going to be hard to tell.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 AM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,033
Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

I have to admit, even knowing Kirkpatrick was out due to injury (again), it was really disheartening to see a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick all inactive, and the 2nd and 3rd were healthy inactives.

I know the Bengals have a ton of talent on the D-line.. but even so, the thought of a 2nd round pick who can't earn his way to activation makes me a little let down by the pick. I have always felt 2nd round picks are supposed to come in and have impacts immediately, even if not a starter.

5 games, 0 starts, 4 tackles (4 solo)
8 games, 0 starts, 14 tackles (4 solo), 0.5 sacks, 1 FF
3 games, 0 starts, 1 tackle (1 solo)

Zeitler has looked like a great pick, Sanu was looking good before injury, and Jones has some explosion that seems to need to be developed a bit more, but I can't help but look at Kirkpatrick, Still, and Thompson and think that there must have been people available at the time who could have contributed more to this team for the 17th, 53rd, and 93rd picks in the draft.

...But hopefully I am proven wrong in the near future. (2013)
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-25-2012, 06:18 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,363
Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

A sign of a good team is not having to count in draft picks to produce. One position that does not worry me is DB as Zimmer knows DBs. If he selected Dre then there were mighty good reasons for it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
I have to admit, even knowing Kirkpatrick was out due to injury (again), it was really disheartening to see a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick all inactive, and the 2nd and 3rd were healthy inactives.

I know the Bengals have a ton of talent on the D-line.. but even so, the thought of a 2nd round pick who can't earn his way to activation makes me a little let down by the pick. I have always felt 2nd round picks are supposed to come in and have impacts immediately, even if not a starter.

5 games, 0 starts, 4 tackles (4 solo)
8 games, 0 starts, 14 tackles (4 solo), 0.5 sacks, 1 FF
3 games, 0 starts, 1 tackle (1 solo)

Zeitler has looked like a great pick, Sanu was looking good before injury, and Jones has some explosion that seems to need to be developed a bit more, but I can't help but look at Kirkpatrick, Still, and Thompson and think that there must have been people available at the time who could have contributed more to this team for the 17th, 53rd, and 93rd picks in the draft.

...But hopefully I am proven wrong in the near future. (2013)
Why is that disheartening? I think it's a great thing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2012, 07:07 AM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,033
Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Why is that disheartening? I think it's a great thing.
It's not when you're still starting Manny Lawson, Rey Maualuga, a safety who came off his couch (even if he's been playing fairly well)... the disheartening part wasn't that there was a ton of talent ahead of them so they get time to develop, the disheartening part was the picks weren't used on positions of more need that could have been immediately upgraded like OLB, MLB, S, RB.

That's all I was trying to say.
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,363
Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
It's not when you're still starting Manny Lawson, Rey Maualuga, a safety who came off his couch (even if he's been playing fairly well)... the disheartening part wasn't that there was a ton of talent ahead of them so they get time to develop, the disheartening part was the picks weren't used on positions of more need that could have been immediately upgraded like OLB, MLB, S, RB.

That's all I was trying to say.
I guess I would say that apparently the staff does not agree with you and really defensive rankings and stats do not either. OLB did not appear to be a problem. The unfortunate part of the game is injury which took Howard out of the lineup. Without that turn of events we could have seen Burfict taking more snaps on the strong side or in the middle.

Not sure how you complain about safety right now. Crocker has been playing the best ball he has played in years. Maybe the nagging injury had more of an effect then we knew. Mays and Miles looked poised to take the next step last season and Nelson is playing outstanding football.

Benny has had a pretty good year and obviously the injury to Scott was unfortunate. I feel Scott was being looked at as a big part of the offensive plan.

Things can change dramatically during the course of a season.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 AM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 10,655
Rep Points: 19817
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Sims is likely on his way out, which is too bad as I think he's more productive than Peko and would be solid next to Atkins. Plus there's value to be had in trading Domata, but none is allowing Sims to walk.


Good position to be in, but agree it is disappointing to see Thompson and Still as inactives.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 AM
corpjet's Avatar
corpjet corpjet is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indy
Posts: 733
Rep Points: 547
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

The way Pat Sims is playing we need to resign him, no ifs ands or buts, look at our record since he has been back in the line up. Coincidence, I think not!
__________________
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, YOUR GOING DOWN!

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM
bengals85 bengals85 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,217
Rep Points: 1866
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Peko needs to be the out after this season. Thompson and sims are pretty much the same players, but with better pass rushing. We could do a lot with the 6 million Peko is making right now. Getting rid of Clements and Peko frees up around 10 million for contract extensions and a big name FA
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 1,868
Rep Points: 2372
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Seems to be a little jam at DT on this team right now. Everyone is playing well, and we have a 2nd and 3rd round pick riding the bench. Obviously Still and Thompson will get more time next season, but what will happen on game days?

It's a perfect problem to have, but it seems a little impractical to have 2 good DTs siting on the bench all year. What do you think happens, because as far as I know, they're all signed through next year.
That is why I'm all for quality over quantity this year in the draft. If they can package those two 2nd rounders to go get an impact, player I'm all for it.

I hope they have been getting Still some reps at DE so he can replace Geathers next year. Sims makes plays and should start, but rotate more with Peko. I think Peko is one of those guys who is good for the team as far as leadership.

It is cool though to have two high pick DT waiting in the wings when our Dline already so good. I really want to see Still next to Geno more often though.
__________________
2014 Draft
1st. CB Kyle Fuller
2nd. S Jimmie Ward
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,363
Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Peko needs to be the out after this season. Thompson and sims are pretty much the same players, but with better pass rushing. We could do a lot with the 6 million Peko is making right now. Getting rid of Clements and Peko frees up around 10 million for contract extensions and a big name FA
Glad you are not making the personnel decisions. I guess what you are saying is that Zimmer does not know defense. He is not starting Peko because of money or because he feels he is a good guy.

They way he feels about Peko is apparent in the amount of snaps he is given. Do you not think if Zimmer felt Sims could do more that he would not be rotating him in for Peko more?

Cue....the Mike Brown money argument or the Marvin Lewis not letting him rotate him more argument.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:39 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,928
Rep Points: 1572
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
That is why I'm all for quality over quantity this year in the draft. If they can package those two 2nd rounders to go get an impact, player I'm all for it.

I hope they have been getting Still some reps at DE so he can replace Geathers next year. Sims makes plays and should start, but rotate more with Peko. I think Peko is one of those guys who is good for the team as far as leadership.

It is cool though to have two high pick DT waiting in the wings when our Dline already so good. I really want to see Still next to Geno more often though.
PEKO is a leader on this team and zim likes that about him. he brings it every play and never stops. perhaps he is not the greatest dt, but he plays hard every down and the other players feed off him. the guy is in a ton of tackles and has a great motor.i do believe as other players get better, he will play less, but as long as he keeps bringing it, zim wants him in there. i love the guys motor and his energy level and how he is always saying good things about the city and his team.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,928
Rep Points: 1572
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I guess I would say that apparently the staff does not agree with you and really defensive rankings and stats do not either. OLB did not appear to be a problem. The unfortunate part of the game is injury which took Howard out of the lineup. Without that turn of events we could have seen Burfict taking more snaps on the strong side or in the middle.

Not sure how you complain about safety right now. Crocker has been playing the best ball he has played in years. Maybe the nagging injury had more of an effect then we knew. Mays and Miles looked poised to take the next step last season and Nelson is playing outstanding football.

Benny has had a pretty good year and obviously the injury to Scott was unfortunate. I feel Scott was being looked at as a big part of the offensive plan.

Things can change dramatically during the course of a season.
getting all of our injured players back and healthy and drafting a top running back is going to make us a scary dangerous team for 2013. its going to be exciting to watch, and i hope peko gets to end his career here in the nati. the guy is a team player and just wants to win. he is my kind of player.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,928
Rep Points: 1572
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
It would appear on the surface that Pat Sims would be the odd man out as he is playing on a 1 year deal and will be a FA at the end of this season. I doubt we drafted Still and Thompson on a whim. I would have to think they looked at them as BPA when each was selected.

Does it mean they are guaranteed roster spots in 2013? I would not think so. I think if the team feels Sims is a better option than either of these guys that they will retain his services and it will be a roster battle of who wants it the most. Great problem to have.

I think we know that Atkins and Peko have the starting spots so from there it is going to be hard to tell.
pat sims is a force, but he could be a super force if he dropped about 40 pounds. the dude is way too fat.he could never be a full time starter with that weight.he could be much faster and last longer and be stronger if he lost the pounds.when you are so overweight, especially in the beginning of the season when its so hot, you cannot produce up to your talent. this is just a proven fact.he will probably be cut if the players under him developes good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 AM
BengalzHacker's Avatar
BengalzHacker BengalzHacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 4,660
Rep Points: 8164
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Seems to be a little jam at DT on this team right now. Everyone is playing well, and we have a 2nd and 3rd round pick riding the bench. Obviously Still and Thompson will get more time next season, but what will happen on game days?

It's a perfect problem to have, but it seems a little impractical to have 2 good DTs siting on the bench all year. What do you think happens, because as far as I know, they're all signed through next year.
This is an excellent question. Sims is on a one year deal but may well be playing himself into another contract. I know a lot of people discount his presence, but I think he has made some difference. I'd like to add that I think it's great to have two young, talented kids on this team to learn from guys like Peko and Geno and Sims. They're getting an "edumukation" like none other from those guys on how to play DT in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
I have to admit, even knowing Kirkpatrick was out due to injury (again), it was really disheartening to see a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick all inactive, and the 2nd and 3rd were healthy inactives.

I know the Bengals have a ton of talent on the D-line.. but even so, the thought of a 2nd round pick who can't earn his way to activation makes me a little let down by the pick. I have always felt 2nd round picks are supposed to come in and have impacts immediately, even if not a starter.

5 games, 0 starts, 4 tackles (4 solo)
8 games, 0 starts, 14 tackles (4 solo), 0.5 sacks, 1 FF
3 games, 0 starts, 1 tackle (1 solo)

Zeitler has looked like a great pick, Sanu was looking good before injury, and Jones has some explosion that seems to need to be developed a bit more, but I can't help but look at Kirkpatrick, Still, and Thompson and think that there must have been people available at the time who could have contributed more to this team for the 17th, 53rd, and 93rd picks in the draft.

...But hopefully I am proven wrong in the near future. (2013)
Not trying to be a jerk, but I've seen many others take this stance as Dre is concerned, so I'm addressing this in general, not meaning to pick on you, so please don't take it that way...

...however, the arguement against Dre where people are disgusted with him due to injuries works the same for Sanu, who for some reason the same people seem to hold up in such high regard. Sanu didn't make the active roster for the first few games, then did for a while, only to get injured and is on IR, out for the year.

If I'm not mistaken, Dre was already dinged (and we knew it) coming out of the draft. Further, he's currently out under concussion protocol. I'd rather they take it easy with him, in that case, if they aren't 100% sure he's ready for action. Lastly, at least he should be ready and available (at position of lesser need than at WR) when we may need him (for a playoff run.)

I'm fine letting Dre get healthy and learn right now. We're getting great corner play from Hall, Jones and the gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
It's not when you're still starting Manny Lawson, Rey Maualuga, a safety who came off his couch (even if he's been playing fairly well)... the disheartening part wasn't that there was a ton of talent ahead of them so they get time to develop, the disheartening part was the picks weren't used on positions of more need that could have been immediately upgraded like OLB, MLB, S, RB.

That's all I was trying to say.
I feel you on this, however, I'm not convinced there were any dead-eye, sure-fire picks available that we knew wouldn't miss and could help us at those positions during the draft.

It's easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and say this guy was there or that guy was there, but most of "those guys" whom you might be tempted to cite as being better picks, probably weren't supposed to or predicted to have the impacts that they just happen to be having, nor do we know for sure they'd have done as well on this team, in our schemes.

Drafting for depth, as we did last year, is a great luxury. One I'm hopeful we'll get to mostly do again next year. When that happens, it means things are going right for your team!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 PM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,033
Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Peko needs to be the out after this season. Thompson and sims are pretty much the same players, but with better pass rushing. We could do a lot with the 6 million Peko is making right now. Getting rid of Clements and Peko frees up around 10 million for contract extensions and a big name FA
Do I think Peko is worth the $4.5m cap hit next year? Probably not.. but I do think he's an important leader on the team, and since Mike Brown doesn't know what contract renegotiation means, nothing will be done there.

BUT, you'll see Robert Geathers and his $6.2m cap hit gone next year, Clements $5.5m cap hit gone.... and the way Trevor Robinson was playing and how Cook got horribly, embarassing manhandled by Hampton, possibly even his $3.3m hit gone (though possibly via trade rather than cut.. if McGlynn and Livings can find starting jobs, SOMEONE will be interested in Cook)...

Plus it's not clear how much Andre Smith will cost, but he almost certainly won't be hitting the cap for $7.5m next year.

Geathers/Clements/Cook/Smith are 4 of the Bengals top 10 most expensive contracts, so between that and the space they already have, they'll have plenty of money to resign Michael Johnson, extend Atkins, and so on. I don't think there's going to be any extra tempting free agents this season that the Bengals need.other than maybe Dwayne Bowe, who I think would be an excellent #2 for AJ Green while Sanu and Jones develop and polish up and give the Bengals a White/Jones or better combo.
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 PM
bengals67 bengals67 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 675
Rep Points: 1958
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

DT is one of the hardest positions to learn as a rookie.

Good for Still and Thompson not to be needed this year.

I bet both will be excellent players as they develop.

Guess what- we do not have to draft any D lineman this year unless a really good pass rushing DE falls to us.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 PM
BengalzHacker's Avatar
BengalzHacker BengalzHacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 4,660
Rep Points: 8164
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Do I think Peko is worth the $4.5m cap hit next year? Probably not.. but I do think he's an important leader on the team, and since Mike Brown doesn't know what contract renegotiation means, nothing will be done there.

BUT, you'll see Robert Geathers and his $6.2m cap hit gone next year, Clements $5.5m cap hit gone.... and the way Trevor Robinson was playing and how Cook got horribly, embarassing manhandled by Hampton, possibly even his $3.3m hit gone (though possibly via trade rather than cut.. if McGlynn and Livings can find starting jobs, SOMEONE will be interested in Cook)...

Plus it's not clear how much Andre Smith will cost, but he almost certainly won't be hitting the cap for $7.5m next year.

Geathers/Clements/Cook/Smith are 4 of the Bengals top 10 most expensive contracts, so between that and the space they already have, they'll have plenty of money to resign Michael Johnson, extend Atkins, and so on. I don't think there's going to be any extra tempting free agents this season that the Bengals need.other than maybe Dwayne Bowe, who I think would be an excellent #2 for AJ Green while Sanu and Jones develop and polish up and give the Bengals a White/Jones or better combo.
I could see Geathers and Clements go (Clements might stick around if we can negotiate a cheaper contract). Geathers is a guy whose time has come and gone I believe. I think Cook and Robinson give you good inside OL depth.

I think S, DE, OL (Tackle specifically) and RB are top draft priorities with WR thrown in there if a good one is on the board. I know a lot of people are crying about the LB core, but they've improved greatly down the stretch. I think we're set there unless someone just happens to pop up unexpectedly at a draft position we just can't pass up.

I hate to be like this, but there have been times this year where I've thought Whit's play has been very poor. We may need to look at getting a guy we can start to groom to play Left Tackle.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 PM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,033
Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, but I've seen many others take this stance as Dre is concerned, so I'm addressing this in general, not meaning to pick on you, so please don't take it that way...

...however, the arguement against Dre where people are disgusted with him due to injuries works the same for Sanu, who for some reason the same people seem to hold up in such high regard. Sanu didn't make the active roster for the first few games, then did for a while, only to get injured and is on IR, out for the year.

-----------

I feel you on this, however, I'm not convinced there were any dead-eye, sure-fire picks available that we knew wouldn't miss and could help us at those positions during the draft.

It's easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and say this guy was there or that guy was there, but most of "those guys" whom you might be tempted to cite as being better picks, probably weren't supposed to or predicted to have the impacts that they just happen to be having, nor do we know for sure they'd have done as well on this team, in our schemes.

Drafting for depth, as we did last year, is a great luxury. One I'm hopeful we'll get to mostly do again next year. When that happens, it means things are going right for your team!
Oh, no offense taken at all. Decent points, and I understand that Dre is out on concussion, but I think maybe his fragility in general might be upsetting me. I had the same problems with Andre Smith but in hindsight the 2009 first round was pretty rough as a whole, haha.

Yeah, I don't claim to know who exactly was available at the time or how great they were supposed to be when the picks happened, and I know that the DTs were considered a steal, admittedly I was just really against the Dre pick before it even happened, so I will continue to be negative against him until he proves me wrong.

Drafting for depth is a nice luxury, I just like to see the high draft picks contribute I suppose.
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:38 PM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,033
Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
I could see Geathers and Clements go (Clements might stick around if we can negotiate a cheaper contract). Geathers is a guy whose time has come and gone I believe. I think Cook and Robinson give you good inside OL depth.

I think S, DE, OL (Tackle specifically) and RB are top draft priorities with WR thrown in there if a good one is on the board. I know a lot of people are crying about the LB core, but they've improved greatly down the stretch. I think we're set there unless someone just happens to pop up unexpectedly at a draft position we just can't pass up.

I hate to be like this, but there have been times this year where I've thought Whit's play has been very poor. We may need to look at getting a guy we can start to groom to play Left Tackle.
Nah, I think Whit is still money, but I think Clements is gone regardless of how little he makes. They stopped playing him at CB, and he failed at S.. he's a guy with no position anymore, but you know how Mike Brown is with honoring contracts.

Not to mention, the Bengals simply need to get younger in the secondary. Can't keep having the Social Security Squad back there. Crocker, Newman, Jones, Clements, and Nelson will all be 30 before the 2013 season ends. That's not okay. Keep Jones and Nelson out of those 5, replace the rest with youth.
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 13,797
Rep Points: 11683
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
This is an excellent question. Sims is on a one year deal but may well be playing himself into another contract. I know a lot of people discount his presence, but I think he has made some difference. I'd like to add that I think it's great to have two young, talented kids on this team to learn from guys like Peko and Geno and Sims. They're getting an "edumukation" like none other from those guys on how to play DT in the NFL.



Not trying to be a jerk, but I've seen many others take this stance as Dre is concerned, so I'm addressing this in general, not meaning to pick on you, so please don't take it that way...

...however, the arguement against Dre where people are disgusted with him due to injuries works the same for Sanu, who for some reason the same people seem to hold up in such high regard. Sanu didn't make the active roster for the first few games, then did for a while, only to get injured and is on IR, out for the year.

If I'm not mistaken, Dre was already dinged (and we knew it) coming out of the draft. Further, he's currently out under concussion protocol. I'd rather they take it easy with him, in that case, if they aren't 100% sure he's ready for action. Lastly, at least he should be ready and available (at position of lesser need than at WR) when we may need him (for a playoff run.)

I'm fine letting Dre get healthy and learn right now. We're getting great corner play from Hall, Jones and the gang.



I feel you on this, however, I'm not convinced there were any dead-eye, sure-fire picks available that we knew wouldn't miss and could help us at those positions during the draft.

It's easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and say this guy was there or that guy was there, but most of "those guys" whom you might be tempted to cite as being better picks, probably weren't supposed to or predicted to have the impacts that they just happen to be having, nor do we know for sure they'd have done as well on this team, in our schemes.

Drafting for depth, as we did last year, is a great luxury. One I'm hopeful we'll get to mostly do again next year. When that happens, it means things are going right for your team!
To recap about Dre, he is sitting behind 3 1st round CB's with a ton more experience. Those who think 1st and 2nd round picks should step in as starters are used to the "bad old days" when we had tons of holes on our roster so a decent player could just step in and play.

I love the position our team is in and you will see these young draftees from 2012 draft step up in years to come. It is nice we made the playoffs without them. In the past, they would have started or played more and we would have been 6-10 versus 10-6.
__________________
Bengals 2014 Draft
Round 1 - Stephen Tuitt ND - 6'6" 304
Round 2 - Jaylen Watkins - 6'0" 194
Round 3 - AJ McCarron - 6'3" 220

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:50 PM
BengalzHacker's Avatar
BengalzHacker BengalzHacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 4,660
Rep Points: 8164
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
...admittedly I was just really against the Dre pick before it even happened, so I will continue to be negative against him until he proves me wrong. ...
Hey, I can respect that. When you're not sure on a guy and he's been lost behind the talent in front of him, I can see why you might be a bit apprehensive about the pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Nah, I think Whit is still money, but I think Clements is gone regardless of how little he makes. They stopped playing him at CB, and he failed at S.. he's a guy with no position anymore, but you know how Mike Brown is with honoring contracts.

Not to mention, the Bengals simply need to get younger in the secondary. Can't keep having the Social Security Squad back there. Crocker, Newman, Jones, Clements, and Nelson will all be 30 before the 2013 season ends. That's not okay. Keep Jones and Nelson out of those 5, replace the rest with youth.
You're points are valid about Clements. And he might be gone, but my guess would be not before final cut downs next year. If he's cut, it'll be at the final 53 cut down next season.

As for Whit, some games he's money, other games I'm seeing him get driven back into the pocket, play after play after play, or being beat by quick moves under or around him. I'm not saying cut the guy, I'm just saying, and back to the depth idea, draft some one at the O-T position we feel could play LT at a high level and let him learn from Whit so if he continues to regress we've got someone ready. However, if Whit recovers and elevates his play again, then we're set on OL with depth for years to come.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 20,363
Rep Points: 19904
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Do I think Peko is worth the $4.5m cap hit next year? Probably not.. but I do think he's an important leader on the team, and since Mike Brown doesn't know what contract renegotiation means, nothing will be done there.

BUT, you'll see Robert Geathers and his $6.2m cap hit gone next year, Clements $5.5m cap hit gone.... and the way Trevor Robinson was playing and how Cook got horribly, embarassing manhandled by Hampton, possibly even his $3.3m hit gone (though possibly via trade rather than cut.. if McGlynn and Livings can find starting jobs, SOMEONE will be interested in Cook)...

Plus it's not clear how much Andre Smith will cost, but he almost certainly won't be hitting the cap for $7.5m next year.

Geathers/Clements/Cook/Smith are 4 of the Bengals top 10 most expensive contracts, so between that and the space they already have, they'll have plenty of money to resign Michael Johnson, extend Atkins, and so on. I don't think there's going to be any extra tempting free agents this season that the Bengals need.other than maybe Dwayne Bowe, who I think would be an excellent #2 for AJ Green while Sanu and Jones develop and polish up and give the Bengals a White/Jones or better combo.

Cook did not get "manhandled" by Hampton. Nothing like dramatic effect.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
TheLeonardLeap's Avatar
TheLeonardLeap TheLeonardLeap is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,033
Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Cook did not get "manhandled" by Hampton. Nothing like dramatic effect.
Was credited for giving up two sacks and run blocking horribly...but giving up two sacks alone is enough to be man handled. It was the first time Hampton had a game with multiple stops since 2011... that's not okay.
__________________
10 Years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one nugget of pure knowledge: "Losing is bad." 10 more years of Marvin!

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.