Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29838
Default My Merry Christmas Mock

Assumptions:
Picking in the early 20s.
5th round comp pick.
Players roughly based on rankings at CBSSports.com
We re-sign our key free agents.

1. Keenan Allen WR Cal
"What? We don't need a WR in 1" you say. I agree. We need OLB and safety, but I don't think there will be a player available there of value. I'm not going to reach, and I don't want a conversion guy. This is a BPA kind of pick, and if he is there (he may not be since he is the consensus #1 WR, but he is currently rated 21) he will be the BPA, and our Pro Bowl QB will have another outstanding weapon.

2. Alec Ogletree OLB UGa.
Could play all 3 LB spots.

2. Phillip Thomas S FSU
One of the best and least known DBs out there. Supports the run well, and had a bunch of INTs.

3. Mangus Hunt DE SMU
A bit of a project as he has only been playing football for a few years, but he is 6'8" 280 with a big wing span and great speed for that size. Also has 17 blocked kicks. Dude is killing the Hawaii Bowl.

4. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
Adds a dimension of speed and quickness currently lacking from our RBs. Also see him returning kickoffs.

5. Monase Foketi T/G WTA&M
Big body to add depth on the O-line.

5. Kevin Reddick ILB UNC
Adds depth at ILB.

6. Michael Williams TE Alabama
Blocking TE.

6. Knile Davis RB Arkansas
Low risk high reward potential pick. If he can ever regain his form he could be the bell cow back. Having BJGE gives him time.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.

Last edited by Jasonew6; 12-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738
Default Re: My Merry Christmas Mock

I like it for the most part.

Marvin Jones seems to be coming along, and if he keeps progressing we won't need to draft a WR high IMO.

I definitely would be happy with that mock though.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Solid draft all around and very plausible.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Assumptions:
5th round comp pick.

1. Keenan Allen WR Cal
"What? We don't need a WR in 1" you say. I agree. We need OLB and safety, but I don't think there will be a player available there of value. I'm not going to reach, and I don't want a conversion guy. This is a BPA kind of pick, and if he is there (he may not be since he is the consensus #1 WR, but he is currently rated 21) he will be the BPA, and our Pro Bowl QB will have another outstanding weapon.

2. Phillip Thomas S FSU
One of the best and least known DBs out there. Supports the run well, and had a bunch of INTs.

3. Mangus Hunt DE SMU
A bit of a project as he has only been playing football for a few years, but he is 6'8" 280 with a big wing span and great speed for that size. Also has 17 blocked kicks. Dude is killing the Hawaii Bowl.

Adds a dimension of speed and quickness currently lacking from our RBs. Also see him returning kickoffs.

5. Kevin Reddick ILB UNC
Adds depth at ILB.

Blocking TE.

Low risk high reward potential pick. If he can ever regain his form he could be the bell cow back. Having BJGE gives him time.

Pretty nice draft, wish you could fit Van Noy or Sean Porter in there.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 433

Why do you think we're getting a 5th round comp?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

I don't get the craze if wanting to draft a pure blocking TE. We are not afraid to line up and show the other team run and run right at them. And when we do I like the idea of bringing in an extra OL. Size is an advantage and an OL is going to block better than a TE any day of the week.

The idea of the TE is to be able to block and be able to catch passes. Find one that can develop into the total package, not one who is one dimensional. We have had a strictly blocking TE on our roster all year, and we don't even dress him on game days.

Gruden said when he first came here he wanted to run 3 TE sets and be multiple running the same plays from different personnel groupings. I wouldn't mind seeing some of it if we had a viable 3rd TE.

I guess my point is take a look at Travis Kelce from UC. He is better than the TE from UC the Giants drafted in the 4th round last year and he should be available later in the draft.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincIndy View Post
Livings, Rucker, Fanene, McGlynn, Simpson, Caldwell, and maybe even Brandon Johnson signed contracts that could factor into the comp pick equation.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Livings, Rucker, Fanene, McGlynn, Simpson, Caldwell, and maybe even Brandon Johnson signed contracts that could factor into the comp pick equation.
Any of them become starters? Didn't hear much about Simpson this year, but thats no shocker.

Livings is starting in DAL correct?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

That would be insane if the #1 WR falls to us late in the first round. But if it happens, that (should) be a no-brainer pick.

I think we need to draft a playmaker on offense in round 1....and that you did!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincIndy View Post
I was tracking free agent gains and losses in the off season and I think we get 1 pick.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

1. Is a beast of an athlete. An OK speed burner, but his film of open field running is the best in the draft for a WR IMO. Check injury, but great pick.

2. Can't see him being there. Not many LB choices in the 1st round. Some team will probably nab him.

2. At this point, not as high on him as others.

3. Good pick.

4. Good pick

5. Makes sense

5. Sure. Talent is there. Getting knocked for a bad motor.

6. I think he goes earlier too.

6. Great size/speed combo. 6th round, why not
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

The more I've thought about the scenario, the more I like it.

Drafting a top WR in 1 would really help the offense. People argue that Jones is coming along and Sanu is there, but why do we sit back and wait for it to happen. Force them to step up or move on.

The only part i argue is that we can't wait for a RB to drop. I say we grab a complementary back from the Law-Firm. If Bernard or Barner are there in 2 I'd be fine with grabbing one. We can't wait around on Scott, and It's getting annoying not having that threat in the backfield. We need to step up and make our offense better.

Final Mock 2012

1. Mark Barron - S
1. Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
2. Amini Silatolu - OG
3. Mohammed Sanu - WR
4. Ryan Steed - CB
5. Marcus Forston - DT
5. Tom Compton - OT
5. Ernest Owusu - DE
6. Michael Smith - RB
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3870

Though 1 might not be there nor is he a necessity, I'd be really happy with this mock.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
I don't get the craze if wanting to draft a pure blocking TE. We are not afraid to line up and show the other team run and run right at them. And when we do I like the idea of bringing in an extra OL. Size is an advantage and an OL is going to block better than a TE any day of the week.

The idea of the TE is to be able to block and be able to catch passes. Find one that can develop into the total package, not one who is one dimensional. We have had a strictly blocking TE on our roster all year, and we don't even dress him on game days.

Gruden said when he first came here he wanted to run 3 TE sets and be multiple running the same plays from different personnel groupings. I wouldn't mind seeing some of it if we had a viable 3rd TE.

I guess my point is take a look at Travis Kelce from UC. He is better than the TE from UC the Giants drafted in the 4th round last year and he should be available later in the draft.
Drafting a blocking TE (a la Michael Williams) would eliminate the need for Dennis Roland and upgrade Richard Quinn.

Drafting a developmental RT2 will also upgrade Dennis Roland and also serve as an insurance policy if Anthony Collins walks in 2014.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 86

I like Hunt in the 1st round after that bowl performance. I couldnt see him lasting to the 3rd. He will break records at the combine along with Ansah. They will be the first pass rushers off the board. Then we can draft the best defensive guy to play LB.
Thats Manti Teo but he can play SAM as well which may save Rey a job. He has 100+ tackles this year which isnt bad.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:
Assumptions:
5th round comp pick.

1. Keenan Allen WR Cal

2. Phillip Thomas S FSU

3. Mangus Hunt DE SMU

5. Kevin Reddick ILB UNC
Adds depth at ILB.

Blocking TE.

Nice mock. No reaches. I'm not one that feels we have to draft a person at our weakest position for our first round pick. We need a WR2, and Keenan Allen is a great fit for that in a WCO.

The only thing I don't see addressed is who will play SAM, but then again, I think Ogletree is versatile enough to play all LB positions in a 4-3. He just isn't a perfect fit for SAM and we don't have one on our roster either atm.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Nice mock. No reaches. I'm not one that feels we have to draft a person at our weakest position for our first round pick. We need a WR2, and Keenan Allen is a great fit for that in a WCO.

The only thing I don't see addressed is who will play SAM, but then again, I think Ogletree is versatile enough to play all LB positions in a 4-3. He just isn't a perfect fit for SAM and we don't have one on our roster either atm.
I think it would be either Ogletree or Burfict.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boywonder View Post
I like Hunt in the 1st round after that bowl performance. I couldnt see him lasting to the 3rd. He will break records at the combine along with Ansah. They will be the first pass rushers off the board. Then we can draft the best defensive guy to play LB.
Thats Manti Teo but he can play SAM as well which may save Rey a job. He has 100+ tackles this year which isnt bad.
If we somehow get Teo there's NO way Rey beats him out for the starting MLB job. Teo is just better in every way.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
http://www.bengals.com/news/transactions.html

Lost 9 - Livings, Bobbie Williams, Benson, Rucker, Fanene, McGlynn, Simpson, Caldwell, Brandon Johnson.

Signed 5 - BJGE, Jason Allen, Jamaal Anderson, Newman, Gilberry.

(Faine, Wharton, Josh Brown, & Richard Quinn were cut and don't count.)

If this is the case, then the Bengals should get 4 compensatory picks.

Does anyone else see this differently?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
http://www.bengals.com/news/transactions.html

Lost 9 - Livings, Bobbie Williams, Benson, Rucker, Fanene, McGlynn, Simpson, Caldwell, Brandon Johnson.

Signed 5 - BJGE, Jason Allen, Jamaal Anderson, Newman, Gilberry.

(Faine, Wharton, Josh Brown, & Richard Quinn were cut and don't count.)

If this is the case, then the Bengals should get 4 compensatory picks.

Does anyone else see this differently?
Max of 3.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360
bengals Re: My Merry Christmas Mock

if were going wr in the first, i think its no question you go after Cordarelle Patterson, hes bigger, faster, stronger, and better in open space then anyone in the draft, allen doesnt hold a candle to patterson in the open field.
But i thought we just drafted guys like sanu and M.jones...last time i checked Sanu played outstanding and marvin jones is coming on strong. come up with a new mock dude.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
if were going wr in the first, i think its no question you go after Cordarelle Patterson, hes bigger, faster, stronger, and better in open space then anyone in the draft, allen doesnt hold a candle to patterson in the open field.
But i thought we just drafted guys like sanu and M.jones...last time i checked Sanu played outstanding and marvin jones is coming on strong. come up with a new mock dude.
Did you read my explanation?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Did you read my explanation?

yea for going WR... but not for chosing keenan-im afraid to go over the middle-allen. If we do go WR i wont like it but if we go WR and grab allen il be irate. to small, i want a julio jones type wr..and that would be Cordarelle Patterson, patterson can also return kicks (bye bye Tate, which is a must). Allen just looks like another bust waiting to happen.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
yea for going WR... but not for chosing keenan-im afraid to go over the middle-allen. If we do go WR i wont like it but if we go WR and grab allen il be irate. to small, i want a julio jones type wr..and that would be Cordarelle Patterson, patterson can also return kicks (bye bye Tate, which is a must). Allen just looks like another bust waiting to happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhdVSwSPIoc

This is pre-injury. But I don't see the player you've described in this thread.