Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882
Default Re: The Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKuhl View Post
Whalen has done nothing but produce, I dont understand why he dosent get more playing time. He made a hella catch in that game. I think this kid could play a huge role in the post season if givin the chance. As far as the line goes, I would like to see where the D Lines that we went against Rank since Cook came back.
I think the Bengals coaches are enamored with speed and measurables at WR. It's the only way to explain Tate and Binns getting playing time.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1080

We definitely need to beef up our O-Line this upcoming draft (and get a back).
It'd be great if somehow they could fix these issues before the wildcard game.

Our D is stout, you'd think the offense would be a bit better practicing against them...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKuhl View Post
Whalen has done nothing but produce, I dont understand why he dosent get more playing time. He made a hella catch in that game. I think this kid could play a huge role in the post season if givin the chance. As far as the line goes, I would like to see where the D Lines that we went against Rank since Cook came back.
Because he can't get seperation, that's why. He was thrown to twice this week. On one, he made a great catch for a 6 yard gain that moved the chains while being blanketed. The other was picked off on that volleyball play on the sideline. That Victorian kid that was right in his hip pocket on that play is Pittsburgh's 7th or 8th CB that they brought up off the PS because they had a ton of injuries.

Whalen has 7 catches on 11 targets for 53 yards, 7.6 ypc, 4.8 yards/target, and a long catch of 10 yards. He cannot even get seperation from complete scrubs like Victorian. Why should he be getting more touches, again? That 23 yard shovel pass that Brandon Tate broke was for more yards than Whalen has gotten the last 6 GAMES and his last 3 catches.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
The Cowboys, Eagles, and Steelers all have defenses built around speed pass rushers. Guys like Andre Smith struggle against that.

Playing those teams just correlated to Cooks return.

Oakland, KC, SD...don't really have great pass rushing teams. (Although the Chiefs have some good individual players.)
I've noticed Andre gets owned against speed rushers. All they do is out run him on the outside and go around him. Thats where Dalton needs to learn to step up or roll out and make a play.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462
bengals Re: The Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
I believe there's more to it than just coincidence that our O-line's downfall and K. Cook's return go hand in hand.
I think you are wrong. I believe it is the fronts that we just happen to be playing upon his return. They are better fronts then Robinson had been facing. I think people just have a need for a scapegoat for all around poor play.

A prime example is Philly. The C position was not the one getting blown up. As well, I think if you watch closely you will see that over the last 3 weeks that both Boling and Zeitler have struggled a little bit. Zeitler got beat pretty badly a couple of times against Pittsburgh. Does this worry me? Not at all as Zeitler will be a top OG for years to come.

On a side note.....it looked pretty apparent that we made the right decision with the two OGs that were sitting on the draft board. Our front abused DeCastro.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 428

Quote:
I don't want to be negative, but #2 WR is this years Nate Livings. Had we signed a Guard in free agency last year and been able to run the ball, who knows how far we would have went.

Same with #2 WR this year. We're not going to make it out of the 1st Round in the playoffs with our WR's playing like this. A guy like Jones still has time to step up though.

What impressed me about Sanu is that everything around him he caught.

Jon Gruden had a good point that the good teams in the NFL need 2 bad ball receivers. That's guys that catch a throw that isn't right to them. Green catches anything in the vicinity. We didn't have that other guy until Sanu started playing.

Contrast that to guys liek Caldwell, Jones, Binns who would tip the ball and result in interceptions.
I don't know about AJ catching everything thrown at him. He has dropped more balls than I would like in the past couple of games.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

Just my 2 cents worth...but if we have the best center in the draft available to us late in round 1 (Barrett Jones-Alabama), I sure hope we pull the trigger and make the upgrade.

If Wharton returns at OG or Boling continues to improve, our O-line would be set for a while.

Sign a RB like Reggie Bush behind a great O-line like that and look out!

We can get a pretty decent DE and LB in round 2.

IMO Barrett Jones has pro-bowl potential .....how long has it been since the Bengals have had a center in the Pro-Bowl?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Cook really excels at blocking nobody. I don't know how many times I've seen him snap the ball, square up, and just block nobody (he does look around though). Robinson snaps, and goes to a man. Does anybody wonder why Zietler and Boling's worst games of the year has been the last 2-3 weeks?
Agreed When the guy next to you is bad it can make you look bad.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Because he can't get seperation, that's why. He was thrown to twice this week. On one, he made a great catch for a 6 yard gain that moved the chains while being blanketed. The other was picked off on that volleyball play on the sideline. That Victorian kid that was right in his hip pocket on that play is Pittsburgh's 7th or 8th CB that they brought up off the PS because they had a ton of injuries.

Whalen has 7 catches on 11 targets for 53 yards, 7.6 ypc, 4.8 yards/target, and a long catch of 10 yards. He cannot even get seperation from complete scrubs like Victorian. Why should he be getting more touches, again? That 23 yard shovel pass that Brandon Tate broke was for more yards than Whalen has gotten the last 6 GAMES and his last 3 catches.
Aaaand he got superb separation on the superb catch he made; if he didn't have to jump he would've had some nice YAC.

Keep hating. The numbers mean nothing, its all about context.

If they were everything, then Tate should be an all-world receiver with his numbers

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
Just my 2 cents worth...but if we have the best center in the draft available to us late in round 1 (Barrett Jones-Alabama), I sure hope we pull the trigger and make the upgrade.

If Wharton returns at OG or Boling continues to improve, our O-line would be set for a while.

Sign a RB like Reggie Bush behind a great O-line like that and look out!

We can get a pretty decent DE and LB in round 2.

IMO Barrett Jones has pro-bowl potential .....how long has it been since the Bengals have had a center in the Pro-Bowl?
Players going to a Pro Bowl really gauges nothing other than popularity. Whit should have been to a Pro Bowl but has not.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 65

Ddnt the Bengals recently sign Cook to a 5 year deal? Maybe that is why they keep playing him
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsboy View Post
Ddnt the Bengals recently sign Cook to a 5 year deal? Maybe that is why they keep playing him
Or maybe they keep him playing because he is a good player and the staff actually knows more than armchair QBs?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21231

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Or maybe they keep him playing because he is a good player and the staff actually knows more than armchair QBs?
Of course they know more than all of us here, but still doesn't mean they can be wrong at times, like the WR by committee thing early on with Tate & Binns (who got cut). Anyways I think Robinson was playing better and has a higher ceiling down the road than Cook.

And Merry Christmas to all!

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-25-2012, 12:35 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42954

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Or maybe they keep him playing because he is a good player
No he's not.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 49

I dunno why there playing cook so much so early I think you have to gradually bring him back. But guys give this o-line a break they did play the #1 defense in the league. An on top of that this defense played for there playoff lives!! I think this line played hard against a great defense!! Any team would have struggled against the steelers in that game.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Let's see, 15 carries by BJGE for 14 yards. I will go out on a limb here and say it wasn't his fault that he couldnt make it past the line of scrimmage. Pitt has a very good front 7 for sure, but not that good though. Cook has been terrible at run blocking since his return, and his pass pro is average at best. Why the coaches went back to him as opposed to the guy playing well is baffling. Then again, it isnt the only instance of this happening.
Another thing to add to the list of reason why, even though he is the best coach we have i in many many years, Marvin is not the man to lead this team to the promise land..
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I've noticed Andre gets owned against speed rushers. All they do is out run him on the outside and go around him. Thats where Dalton needs to learn to step up or roll out and make a play.
To a certain extent all tackles get "owned" by that. If the speed rusher can go wide enough the tackle can only push them on around. I know on a couple of sacks where Andre's man eventually go the sack he pushed him very wide but Dalton held the ball and then rolled to Whit's side which puts him right in the path of the rusher Andre is blocking the only way possible. In fact, some of the sack problems are directly attributable to Andy holding the ball forever. That said, some seem to be scheme issues and some just getting beat. Put it all toegether and you give up more sacks than you want.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargletd View Post
I dunno why there playing cook so much so early I think you have to gradually bring him back. But guys give this o-line a break they did play the #1 defense in the league. An on top of that this defense played for there playoff lives!! I think this line played hard against a great defense!! Any team would have struggled against the steelers in that game.
Other than playing Cook over Robinson (who was playing great) I agree with your assessment. That Stealers D was the toughest one those guys have faced since, well ever.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Aaaand he got superb separation on the superb catch he made; if he didn't have to jump he would've had some nice YAC.

Keep hating. The numbers mean nothing, its all about context.

If they were everything, then Tate should be an all-world receiver with his numbers
Lol, you can't be serious. Brown was all over him. If the ball hadn't had been thrown high, Brown would have had a play on it and the result would have likely been an incomplete pass. I'll give Whalen his props for making a great catch, but Brown was all over him and he was getting no YAC on that play unless he could break a tackle.

Of course, you want to dismiss numbers when it comes to Whalen, because he doesn't do much of anything. Here's a big part of context you fail to see with Whalen. Our staff hates playing rookies and prefers veterans almost universally, and both Sanu and Jones have hopped over Whalen on the depth chart into the starting lineup.

Tate is far from All World, but we're talking a guy who averages 15.8 YPC against a guy who averages 7.6 YPC. Both have their advantages over the other. Whalen has better hands. Tate is a better runner after the catch and can stretch the defense some. Neither is that great, and both can be upgraded over. Tate should be gone next year. Whalen should probably hang for at least another year as that #5-#6 WR.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2278

Quote:
Cook may be part of the problem, but he's not why Andre Smith is getting destroyed by speed rushers. Boling also has been playing sub-part lately.

There was a sack against the Steelers where the defender beat both Boling and Zeitler.

Smith is horribly out of shape and an embarrassment! With the money these guys make it should be part of the requirement that they get in shape and at least 'look' like a football player instead of a couch potato!