Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19866
Default Re: Dont beleive Marvin when it comes to week 17

The formula that served the Giants well was having to win every week just to get into the playoffs and having to play everybody every game. They played playoff games for three or four weeks before they even got in. So did we. The part of that formula that no longer applies is having to win the last game.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1813

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
I researched a 2009 week 17 article about the jets. Marvin gave every indication he was playing to win.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...5-6a5881e93e05

Merry christmas everyone. Im still hoping for a long playoff run regardless.
I think we started that game with the intention to win. Then they started beating our backsides and Marvin started pulling starters. I feel like he wanted to give us an excuse because he knew we were going to play them again once they started winning.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23652
bengals Re: Dont beleive Marvin when it comes to week 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
The formula that served the Giants well was having to win every week just to get into the playoffs and having to play everybody every game. They played playoff games for three or four weeks before they even got in. So did we. The part of that formula that no longer applies is having to win the last game.
One thing that does apply is the effect it could have for both teams if we face them in the playoffs. I would much rather this team go into the playoffs with a win against the Ravens rather than two losses.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10891

Quote:
Maybe I'm just being selfish. I just don't want to have to watch this game while holding my breath that nobody gets hurt.
I get what you're saying but in reality, you could say that every weekend. One wrong injury in week 1 and a season can be doomed or at least deeply harmed.

I will say, AJ, Geno, Hall, maybe Adam Jones, and Peerman (only because he's nursing an injury) ought to be inactive for this game.

Let Boom, Thompson, Stills and Dre (if he can, he's on concussion protocol) play a lot. But in no way, not play to win. We don't really have a lot of depth at WR but I can't see risking AJ in this game.

As for Dalton, he needs to play. He's been shaky and playing against the Ravens D can only help getting him used to seeing exotic defenses. I think he can benefit from the PT.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3315

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
The field in that game changed a lot of plans. Chad got hurt in warm ups and the frozen, dangerous field caused us to change our approach.
Yep, that game was played in horrid conditions.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious-B View Post
Yep, that game was played in horrid conditions.
No guarantee this game against the Ravens won't be bad either. There is weather coming. Question is, the timing of all of it and how bad might it be.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7370

The Bengals should play to win in the last home game.

It's the last home game.

Bengals are only 3-4 at home this year..... Don't go 3-5 at home.... thats no Jungle. ...At least go 4-4.

Bengals went 9-7 last year.....try to improve with a 10-6 season.....it looks a whole lot better than 9-7

Ravens clobbered Bengals in week 1......Bengals haven't beat Ravens in a few years....Change That !

I hate to say it, we may be too young to take on a veteran New England on the road, or Denver or Houston.

So lets win this last home game with the Ravens

We can still finish 3-3 in the AFC North.....lets not finish 2-4 and look like we were weak in the AFC North.

and Marvin is correct....playing the 2nd string never helped us in the play-offs in the past. We have won 6 of the last 7 games.....make it 7 of the last 8 games and keep the momentum going. Keep Big Mo on our side and who knows, maybe these young guys believe in themselves and do win in the play-offs.

I see more reasons to beat Ravens in The Jungle than I do in laying down like dogs and taking the loss.

Mostly, those are paying fans in the stands of Paul Brown stadium...paying fans.....they deserve a heck of alot better than the team taking a dive and going 3-5 at home this year.

Last edited by kevin; 12-25-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15873

We have to play a game. We can only rest 7 guys (inactive) and then maybe a nother 7 or 8 active. My point is we have some very talented guys, but we also have a lot of great role players like Sims, Crocker, Peerman, Hawkins, Gilberry and the list goes on that would have to play more and have their chances to be injured increase.

We don't want to lose anyone, but injuries are a part of football. Hopefully the starters will impose their will in the 1st half and once we have the game in hand pull the stars.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
No guarantee this game against the Ravens won't be bad either. There is weather coming. Question is, the timing of all of it and how bad might it be.
The jungle has a heated surface. The old Jets stadium did not making it an ice skating rink. I don't see the field conditions here ever being that bad because they will just turn up the heaters.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

It's the last home game.

Bengals are only 3-4 at home this year..... Don't go 3-5 at home.... thats no Jungle. ...At least go 4-4.

Bengals went 9-7 last year.....try to improve with a 10-6 season.....it looks a whole lot better than 9-7

Ravens clobbered Bengals in week 1......Bengals haven't beat Ravens in a few years....Change That !

I hate to say it, we may be too young to take on a veteran New England on the road, or Denver or Houston.

We can still finish 3-3 in the AFC North.....lets not finish 2-4 and look like we were weak in the AFC North.

and Marvin is correct....playing the 2nd string never helped us in the play-offs in the past. We have won 6 of the last 7 games.....make it 7 of the last 8 games and keep the momentum going. Keep Big Mo on our side and who knows, maybe these young guys believe in themselves and do win in the play-offs.

I see more reasons to beat Ravens in The Jungle than I do in laying down like dogs and taking the loss.

Mostly, those are paying fans in the stands of Paul Brown stadium...paying fans.....they deserve a heck of alot better than the team taking a dive and going 3-5 at home this year.
The Ravens will be forced to sit guys. I see Suggs, T. Smith, Ngata and Rice all resting or playing no more than a half. They are a tired beat up team who could use the time off before their home playoff game. I see us beating the crap out of them as well. I hope I am right.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 12-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I get what you're saying but in reality, you could say that every weekend. One wrong injury in week 1 and a season can be doomed or at least deeply harmed.

I will say, AJ, Geno, Hall, maybe Adam Jones, and Peerman (only because he's nursing an injury) ought to be inactive for this game.

Let Boom, Thompson, Stills and Dre (if he can, he's on concussion protocol) play a lot. But in no way, not play to win. We don't really have a lot of depth at WR but I can't see risking AJ in this game.

As for Dalton, he needs to play. He's been shaky and playing against the Ravens D can only help getting him used to seeing exotic defenses. I think he can benefit from the PT.
In week 1, you have to play everybody. In week 17, with nothing on the line but padding stats or even victory totals, that no longer applies.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
The jungle has a heated surface. The old Jets stadium did not making it an ice skating rink. I don't see the field conditions here ever being that bad because they will just turn up the heaters.
I didn't realize that. Good to know, but if it's snowing/sleeting/raining on Sunday, it could still get ugly.

Quote:
In week 1, you have to play everybody. In week 17, with nothing on the line but padding stats or even victory totals, that no longer applies.
True and I agree with you on that, but I'm in the camp with those who want 3-3, 4-4 and 10-6. I think that is almost as important for this team.

I get you don't buy into Big Mo'. That's fine. But at this level of football, especially on a young team, the mental game is huge. If our guys are flying high going into the playoffs, I think we can beat anyone any given Sunday (or Saturday).
Old 12-25-2012, 12:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Rep Points: 7135

This game still hasn't sold out. You know Mike Brown told Marvin to make damn sure he didn't make any noise about resting the starters. If the game sells out, that might change.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't realize that. Good to know, but if it's snowing/sleeting/raining on Sunday, it could still get ugly.

True and I agree with you on that, but I'm in the camp with those who want 3-3, 4-4 and 10-6. I think that is almost as important for this team.

I get you don't buy into Big Mo'. That's fine. But at this level of football, especially on a young team, the mental game is huge. If our guys are flying high going into the playoffs, I think we can beat anyone any given Sunday (or Saturday).
I think the mental hurdle that was crossed by beating the Steelers is bigger than any mental advantages that would come from winning Sunday. That shot of confidence is what will carry us in the playoffs. Sure, play to win. Just do it without your franchise players out there.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2117

Quote:

It's the last home game.

Don't let your pride get in the way of your judgement. Who gives a **** how we finish in the division or at home this year. We won't play at home again so that matters even less.

I've been hearing how mentally tough Marvin has made this team this year, and if they need to win this game and have momentum to win in the playoffs than clearly they aren't mentally tough at all...

It is not worth any injury to play your starters. Sure the guys who do play should always go 100 percent, but make sure those guys aren't AJ Andy geno etc. That would just be stupid as winning or losing doesn't change a thing and if it does, than this team isn't mentally tough and provides another reason why Marvin needs outted.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3230

All of you folks talking about playing our starters the whole game might regret it if one of our key players goes down with an injury. I agree that momentum is important but in my opinion the opportunity cost is far too high to risk playing our starters the whole game.......a game at the end of the day which happens to be completely meaningless.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779

Playing our starters is the WORST thing you can do.

Let me ask you this... this week Denver, New England and Houston will all be playing HARD to earn a bye week. If all this "momentum" crap was true... NO team would want the week off.

And if Geno Atkins got injured... or AJ Green... or Andy Dalton...

Bye bye playoffs!

Don't be stupid. Rest the starters... play the 2nd stringers.

And by the way.. what makes you think the 2nd stringers won't be fired up to show the coaches and the team what they can do?!

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 165

Quote:
Football seasons are all stats. Why do you want to win games? To make the playoffs. Why do you want to win play off games? To get to the super bowl and win. If you don't win the super bowl should you care about the year at all? I watch to see this team improve and cheer. If we win a playoff game, itd be awesome. But we need to focus on the current game. The upcoming game is always the most important.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeySailor View Post
Football seasons are all stats. Why do you want to win games? To make the playoffs. Why do you want to win play off games? To get to the super bowl and win. If you don't win the super bowl should you care about the year at all? I watch to see this team improve and cheer. If we win a playoff game, itd be awesome. But we need to focus on the current game. The upcoming game is always the most important.
Except in this case. We already made the playoffs. The only game that counts right now is the playoff game.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Always remember, I before E, EXCEPT after C.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
I am. And I am sure the players would love an extra week off to heal up and practice and prepare.
This. The Bengals leadership will say they aren't resting in hope of selling the remaining tickets. I'm going whether they rest or not, but if they play the starters more than two series, I think they are crazy.

What makes this trip to the postseason different from previous years is the depth and health of the team. To risk that in any way is ludicrous. The pats will have to play Miami hard, or at least I think they do....I can't imagine taking that game off against the dolphins since there is a chance the Texans could lose and give up the bye week.

My point being that the pats can't rest this week and the Bengals can. There are four games remaining for the Bengals to reach the Super Bowl. If they can play two series and rest up for the remaining three games, it could serve as a second bye week of sorts before the postseason.

The pats could rest against the fins and just assume the Texans roll the Colts, since he Colts have nothing to gain by winning.

If that happens, it only makes more sense to rest this week so as to avoid showing them anything in a meaningless game.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfTheTiger View Post
I am. And I am sure the players would love an extra week off to heal up and practice and prepare.
They would love a run at the Superbowl and a Playoff win alot more then a week off.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
Don't let your pride get in the way of your judgement. Who gives a **** how we finish in the division or at home this year. We won't play at home again so that matters even less.

I've been hearing how mentally tough Marvin has made this team this year, and if they need to win this game and have momentum to win in the playoffs than clearly they aren't mentally tough at all...

It is not worth any injury to play your starters. Sure the guys who do play should always go 100 percent, but make sure those guys aren't AJ Andy geno etc. That would just be stupid as winning or losing doesn't change a thing and if it does, than this team isn't mentally tough and provides another reason why Marvin needs outted.
listen to this, you should play the starters and here is why!! they are very young, in their early twenties, they could play all day. giving them TOO MUCH TIME OFF IS BAD,BELIEVE IT. do not worry so much.if we get up on them big time, then perhaps play some backups, but not until them. we need to beat the tar out of the dirty birds and i mean try to kill them. i hate them as bad as the stoolers. i cannot stand their coach. hes a butt hole.i want to whip crap out of them and the fans deserve that.the season is 16 games. play to win, period.the game against the stoolers was super physical and our guys came out of it okay.if anything, the ravens will be pumped to beat us as they like whippin us. i believe domako peko when he says the players all want to play this game. i hope marvin makes the right decision and plays to win by playing ALL OF HIS STARTERS.i do believe BOOM HERRON should be playing some, and alot. this guy can play. he just needs a chance.play your starters and quit worrying. if we have injuries, that is just the way football goes.you cannot be stressed about that. believe me, when you rest players an extra week, they ALWAYS come back rusty. they need the practice reps and live action.i want to destroy the stinkin dirty birds.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

It's the last home game.

if they rest the starters and get beat by the dirty birds, i will be so ticked and it will have a mental impact on this young team. let them play to win. they, the players deserve to win this game the way the birds and their stupid fans treated us on opening day. i hate the ravens just as much as the stoolers. i want to see # 27 get drilled by taylor mays and carried off the field. i think stupid ray rice is a turd.smoke his butt all game.let the starters play. i want this win. i do not want to lose this game, period.i will be so ticked off if they don't play to win.marvin lewis will go back down on my crap list if he does that and he better keep his word and let the starters win this game. it will be so good for their mental stake and give them proof in their minds how much they have improved.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinutesHate View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't play to win this game. Say that we play the starters but mostly vanilla, then start subbing players in when we start getting our butts kicked. I think it would be just as damaging psychologically speaking, as Week 1 was.
Then what happens if we run into Baltimore again in the playoffs? I expect it would be the same result like it was with the Jets. Except it's different this time.
This is for control of the North for years to come. We are on the rise. This year. Seize the moment. Demoralize and humiliate the Ravens!

The Bengals must impose their will. It's do or die. Now or never.
man, who cares if we have to play them or anybody else in the playoffs. it is what it is.everyone should be afraid to play us, believe that.have some faith.thats all we can do. we have to play somebody and who ever it is, lets just go kick the crap out of them.believe me, KEEP THE HAMMER DOWN. YOU GIVE GUYS EXTRA TIME OFF, IT screws up their mental . do not do that. play the starters and have confidence.we paid to see the starters play and they want to play.play to win,nothing else matters.do you think a boxer lets down when he thinks he already has his guy beat??crap no, he keeps bringing it until its over. thats what the players want and need. they need to beat the dirty birds at OUR HOUSE.