Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3568
Default Re: What happens at the DT position?

we try to keep Sims but if he bolts for FA which I assume he will because he could start on alot of teams, we move Still or Thompson up the depth chart and draft a DT in a later round and still have one of the better DT roatations in the legaue

Old 12-25-2012, 01:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16862

We have a great defensive line rotation. Geathers plays both tackle and DE. I can see us letting Geathers walk if he does not take less money. I see Dunlap taking over for geathers at DE which he did at the end of the year anyway. I see Still growing into Geathers spot next year. I see Thompson backing up Peko. Sims is the wild card. I hope we keep him, he is a great run stopper.

We have Moch as a wildcard as well to backup Dunlap at DE if he can get his health under control. I see is resigning MJ and we should resign him. Atkins is a no brainer and Mike Brown will be tar and feathered if he is not resigned or franchised.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 12-26-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 103

Our DT spot is pretty set. Peko and Atkins will start. Still and Thompson will get some opportunity and Sims will most likely be let go. I have a hard time seeing them re-signing Sims with Still/Thompson waiting.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Seems to be a little jam at DT on this team right now. Everyone is playing well, and we have a 2nd and 3rd round pick riding the bench. Obviously Still and Thompson will get more time next season, but what will happen on game days?

It's a perfect problem to have, but it seems a little impractical to have 2 good DTs siting on the bench all year. What do you think happens, because as far as I know, they're all signed through next year.
I do not think anything will change barring injury this year. Next year, I would expect Sims to not be here anymore.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2273

If Sims is signed away, does anyone know what kind of compensatory draft pick we get for him?

I would not mind seeing Sims come back, especially if they are grooming Still to be able to shift to DE, or at least split time between DT and DE.

I know there is a bit of a log jam at DT, but does anyone know how Thompson is doing in practice? He seemed like a quality run-stuffer coming out of college, but I do not remember seeing him yet this year. Has he played at all? His readiness to play next year will go a long way in determining what goes on with the DL line up next year.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Why is that disheartening? I think it's a great thing.
Perhaps he is disappointed that the Bengals made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time in 30 years.

IMO, I can foresee the same thing happening to the first three rounds of the 2013 draft.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18360

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Cook did not get "manhandled" by Hampton. Nothing like dramatic effect.
Absolutely he did, stop it.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-25-2012, 07:04 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Perhaps he is disappointed that the Bengals made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time in 30 years.

IMO, I can foresee the same thing happening to the first three rounds of the 2013 draft.
Me too. There is absolutely no reason why we should want our top picks to play. That just means we have a lot of holes. I'd rather have top quality depth while giving time to learn without the pressure to succeed. When their number is called, they'll be ready to contribute and we should all be ecstatic that this team is this position. I get tired of the pessimism because Kirkpatrick, Still or Thompson hasn't played when people completely look past the fact that Hall, Jones, Newman, Geno, Peko and Sims are all playing at high levels to the point where we have the #1 ranked defense over the past 8 games. There simply is no room for them at this point.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Seems to be a little jam at DT on this team right now. Everyone is playing well, and we have a 2nd and 3rd round pick riding the bench. Obviously Still and Thompson will get more time next season, but what will happen on game days?

It's a perfect problem to have, but it seems a little impractical to have 2 good DTs siting on the bench all year. What do you think happens, because as far as I know, they're all signed through next year.

Pat Sims has done well & could be used in rotation. I'd like to see Thompson or Still start next to Geno...Peko is weak and should be released.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Pat Sims has done well & could be used in rotation. I'd like to see Thompson or Still start next to Geno...Peko is weak and should be released.
Won't happen. He's signed through 2015 and he's a leader. Lewis and Zimmer love him. Geathers is about as good and he's still here.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24453
bengals Re: What happens at the DT position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
So you are stating Zimmer plays Peko the amount of snaps he does even though others are better than him. Is this what you are saying?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23292

So you are stating Zimmer plays Peko the amount of snaps he does even though others are better than him. Is this what you are saying?

Yeah, that never happens with the Bengals!

Cook, Robinson, cough, cough...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5025

Quote:
It would appear on the surface that Pat Sims would be the odd man out as he is playing on a 1 year deal and will be a FA at the end of this season. I doubt we drafted Still and Thompson on a whim. I would have to think they looked at them as BPA when each was selected.

Does it mean they are guaranteed roster spots in 2013? I would not think so. I think if the team feels Sims is a better option than either of these guys that they will retain his services and it will be a roster battle of who wants it the most. Great problem to have.

I think we know that Atkins and Peko have the starting spots so from there it is going to be hard to tell.
nothing personal but,
Quote:
It would appear on the surface that Pat Sims would be the odd man out as he is playing on a 1 year deal and will be a FA at the end of this season.
is such a predictable answer by you, he who doesn't give Pat his due.
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Would be a damn shame to lose Pat Sims, but that might be how things work out. I think Thompson could fill his role if he does leave though..... I'm all for keeping all five of them to be honest. We all saw how quickly things go south when you lose a quality DT.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20048

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Peko needs to be the out after this season. Thompson and sims are pretty much the same players, but with better pass rushing. We could do a lot with the 6 million Peko is making right now. Getting rid of Clements and Peko frees up around 10 million for contract extensions and a big name FA
I like this scenario....
Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

Yeah, that never happens with the Bengals!

Cook, Robinson, cough, cough...
Dunlap, Gaethers last season, cough, cough, cough.....
Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
PEKO is a leader on this team and zim likes that about him. he brings it every play and never stops. perhaps he is not the greatest dt, but he plays hard every down and the other players feed off him. the guy is in a ton of tackles and has a great motor.i do believe as other players get better, he will play less, but as long as he keeps bringing it, zim wants him in there. i love the guys motor and his energy level and how he is always saying good things about the city and his team.
I like that about Peko too, don't get me wrong, but if we can free up that coin and really not lose that much production wise.....then why wouldn't we? we're going to need that money for guys like Atkins, etc. Don't Chad Johnson out and wait till it's too late to get anything for Peko just because you like him......learn from the mistakes of the past. That make sense?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

Quote:

I love Pat Sims, but I thought he signed a 1 yr deal and we'll have to see if he retrns.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I love Pat Sims, but I thought he signed a 1 yr deal and we'll have to see if he retrns.
Yup, 1-year deal that comes out to $1.44M on the salary cap. I think he's definitely proven his worth to this team, but I also think he deserves to start somewhere. Hopefully we can keep him, but don't be surprised if he takes off elsewhere for more money.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18360

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Peko needs to be the out after this season. Thompson and sims are pretty much the same players, but with better pass rushing. We could do a lot with the 6 million Peko is making right now. Getting rid of Clements and Peko frees up around 10 million for contract extensions and a big name FA
No they aren't.

Furthermore, while they are all had at pass rushing, Peko is actually the best.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
Cook stinks. Does your DVR not have super slow mo?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2285

Quote:
I'd love to know what game you were watching. Hampton destroyed him.

Special thanks to NashvilleBengalfan for the sig!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, i believe Thompson and Still are both better than him, but we're giving them time to develop + avoiding further injuries like we did with Dre... 1 man can handle Peko & he gets pushed back..Our run D is great when Sims is in the game.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41964

Quote:
Yes he did.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Would be a damn shame to lose Pat Sims, but that might be how things work out. I think Thompson could fill his role if he does leave though..... I'm all for keeping all five of them to be honest. We all saw how quickly things go south when you lose a quality DT.
Yeah we should release Peko though...Thompson is a great run stopper. He has the size like Geno and our Starters could either be Atkins & Thompson or Atkins & Still