Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21957
Default Who are your five best players this season?

What five players do you think have performed the best for the Bengals so far this season? Sounds like a simple enough question, but I doubt that it will be anything close to unanimous as to who the top 5 are. There have been plenty of players that have had good seasons, but some.....like always have had better season's than the others.

Here are my top five. Have fun looking at these picks and hating on them in one way or another. Then pick your own top five.

1.) Geno Atkins: In my opinion, he's a top 3 DT in the league if not #1. Some of the things that he's done have been nothing short of amazing. The man now holds the Bengals record (since records have been kept) for sacks in a season........and he's a Defensive Tackle! Atkins needs to be locked up by this team for a very long time.....hopefully soon.

2.) A.J. Green: I think he's easily a top 5 receiver in the league, and possibly as high as #2 overall. I think it's also rather apparent that his game is still developing. I could easily see him being considered the #1 Bengals receiver of all time if he stays with the team long enough. He has had a rough few weeks, but as for the season in whole....it's between him and Atkins as to who the MVP is.

3.) Leon Hall: After Atkins and Green (who I think will be most people's #1 and #2) it get's a little muddled up with players that have played extremely solidly. He's come back from a pretty devastating injury to a player at his position and shut down receivers routinely. He doesn't get a lot of recognition because he isn't a "big play" guy. His interceptions and tackles go down more and more each year....not because he can't do it anymore, but because teams legitimately don't throw at him. In my opinion, he's the most under-rated player on this team......by a long shot.

4.) Andre Smith: Played well in all but a couple of games this season. He and Zeitler are a huge reason that Green-Ellis had such a great stretch of games. He may get beat from time to time, but overall, he handles his part of the job. He's finally living up to his draft status, and the Bengals hopefully re-sign him soon. I think he deserves Pro-Bowl consideration this year, but he'll likely get absolutely none.

5.) Vontaze Burfict: Yup...the UDFA rookie LB whom everyone thought wasn't worth the trouble. Marvin Lewis took a shot with him and it has payed off big time. He makes plays whenever there is a play to be made and he looks like what everyone hoped Maualuga would be. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Middle next year with Lawson and Howard on the outside. He's got fire, and I think it'll be here to stay.

Players that I thought about putting in:
Kevin Zeitler
Andy Dalton
Terrance Newman
Adam Jones
Andrew Whitworth
Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 489
Default Re: Who are your five best players this season?

Can we include Mohammed Sanu for the games where he played?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishBengal View Post
Can we include Mohammed Sanu for the games where he played?
If you think he's one of the 5 best players, then have at it. Personally, I wouldn't. He didn't have a big contribution in my opinion even though the offense seems to have lost a step without him.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3628

Our best players in terms of talent.

1. Atkins
2. Green
3. Whitworth
4. Hall
5. Dalton

Our best players in terms of performance this year.

1. Burfict
2. Newman
3. Robinson
4. Sanu
5. Gilberry

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 29

Green and the defensive line.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40150

Geno
AJ
Whit
Reggie
Andre
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
If you think he's one of the 5 best players, then have at it. Personally, I wouldn't. He didn't have a big contribution in my opinion even though the offense seems to have lost a step without him.
I guess it all depends which yardstick you use as a measure I suppose. :unsure:
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11578

Geno
AJ
Andre
MJ
Sanu
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Geno
AJ
Whit
Reggie
Andre
I like this list
Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Geno
AJ
Sanu
Robinson
Hall
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18149

Geno
AJ
Whit
Burfict
Reggie

Honorable Mention:

Pat Sims, Clint Boling, Sanu, Crocker (off the street and freeing up Reggie to do what he does best), Adam Jones, and Chris Pressley (look at the run game without him)

BJGE really put together a nice streak...I hope Pittsburgh was an anomaly and he gets back in the groove....we need him.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18149

Quote:
What five players do you think have performed the best for the Bengals so far this season? Sounds like a simple enough question, but I doubt that it will be anything close to unanimous as to who the top 5 are. There have been plenty of players that have had good seasons, but some.....like always have had better season's than the others.

Here are my top five. Have fun looking at these picks and hating on them in one way or another. Then pick your own top five.

1.) Geno Atkins: In my opinion, he's a top 3 DT in the league if not #1. Some of the things that he's done have been nothing short of amazing. The man now holds the Bengals record (since records have been kept) for sacks in a season........and he's a Defensive Tackle! Atkins needs to be locked up by this team for a very long time.....hopefully soon.

2.) A.J. Green: I think he's easily a top 5 receiver in the league, and possibly as high as #2 overall. I think it's also rather apparent that his game is still developing. I could easily see him being considered the #1 Bengals receiver of all time if he stays with the team long enough. He has had a rough few weeks, but as for the season in whole....it's between him and Atkins as to who the MVP is.

3.) Leon Hall: After Atkins and Green (who I think will be most people's #1 and #2) it get's a little muddled up with players that have played extremely solidly. He's come back from a pretty devastating injury to a player at his position and shut down receivers routinely. He doesn't get a lot of recognition because he isn't a "big play" guy. His interceptions and tackles go down more and more each year....not because he can't do it anymore, but because teams legitimately don't throw at him. In my opinion, he's the most under-rated player on this team......by a long shot.

4.) Andre Smith: Played well in all but a couple of games this season. He and Zeitler are a huge reason that Green-Ellis had such a great stretch of games. He may get beat from time to time, but overall, he handles his part of the job. He's finally living up to his draft status, and the Bengals hopefully re-sign him soon. I think he deserves Pro-Bowl consideration this year, but he'll likely get absolutely none.

5.) Vontaze Burfict: Yup...the UDFA rookie LB whom everyone thought wasn't worth the trouble. Marvin Lewis took a shot with him and it has payed off big time. He makes plays whenever there is a play to be made and he looks like what everyone hoped Maualuga would be. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Middle next year with Lawson and Howard on the outside. He's got fire, and I think it'll be here to stay.

Kevin Zeitler
Andy Dalton
Terrance Newman
Adam Jones
Andrew Whitworth
Yeah....I can't believe I overlooked Leon ...the reason I did is probably due to the exact reason you gave....they just don't throw at him. Ask Fat Jen...lol. Good list bro.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3660

Quote:

Kevin Zeitler
Andy Dalton
Terrance Newman
Adam Jones
Andrew Whitworth

Excellent list. My only adjustment is Dalton over Burfict, although what that kid has done in a new position is nothing short of amazing. If you had a top 5 VALUE players of the year, he is likely #1.

Zietler and Andre are going to be a wall for years to come. Amazing rookie season for him, and Boling has been nearly as impressive filling in for Wharton.

Reggie Nelson makes his share of mistakes, but has now put the team in position to win two of the last four games with a big play.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 27197

Josh Brown
Kevin Huber
Kevin Zeitler
Geno Atkins
Reggie Nelson
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

1. Geno Atkins - Cornerstone of this team.
2. AJ Green - Had a rough few weeks, but still a great player.
3. Andre Smith - Probably the best RT in football right now.
4. Leon Hall - Getting better every week
5. Andrew Whitworth - Same old Whit.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 957

1 & 1A Atkins & Green. Opponents have to game plan around them. We haven't had two guys like this since Mike Reid & Isaac Curtis. AJ has a chance to be as good as Curtis, and Geno is already better than Reid.

3 Hall. Underrated, so solid, came back from injury way earlier than expected. Covers wide receivers on early down, moves into the slot on 3rd. Can't imagine where we would be without him.

4 Whit. Second best LT franchise has ever had. Great pass protector, tremendous leader.

5 Huber. You saw what he did on Sunday in terms of winning field position.

Looking back, I see that my choices are 2 offensive (one line, one skill), 2 defensive (one line, one skill), and 1 special teams.

Runners-up are Andre (offense), Nelson (defense), and MIKE ZIMMER.

Nice thread!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1139

1. CinciREborn
2. CM Punk
3. Chuck Norris
4. Mike Brown
5. Waldo
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 969

In no particular order:

Geno Adkins, Vontaze Burfict, Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and Mohammed Sanu.

Runners Up: Reggie Nelson, Zeitler, BJGE, Leon Hall (especially lately), and Adam Jones.

Last edited by BengalB; 12-26-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
1. Geno Atkins - Cornerstone of this team.
2. AJ Green - Had a rough few weeks, but still a great player.
3. Andre Smith - Probably the best RT in football right now.
4. Leon Hall - Getting better every week
5. Andrew Whitworth - Same old Whit.
same.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18874

Outside of Geno. it's hard to pick anyone because all the players that are playing well are able to play well because other players are doing their jobs.

But you can't leave off Dalton or AJ because Dalton's the leader and, in today's NFL, your team goes as your quarterback goes.

You also can't leave off Burfict because name another WILL linebacker in a 4-3 that makes as big of a difference as Burfict makes.

It's hard to pick five because everyone is playing their part, doing their job, and performing well, and that, ladies and gents, is what good teams do

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118

Quote:

Kevin Zeitler
Andy Dalton
Terrance Newman
Adam Jones
Andrew Whitworth
I agree with that list.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24523

1. Geno Atkins
2. Andy Dalton
3. Andrew Whitworth
4. Leon Hall
5. Reggie Nelson
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Maybe not the best but my MVP's

1. Geno
2. AJ
3. Boling
4. Crocker ( can't believe I'm typing this.)
5. Burfict
Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1775

A.J. Greeen
Geno Atkins
Adam Jones
Leon Hall
" The Law Firm"
Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

I'm kind of surprised that everyone does not have A.J. in their top 2. Some don't even have him on the list a all. I thought he was a shoe in for one of those top spots.