Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11232
Default Even the players see it....

LINK

Excerpt:

"Perhaps most shocking is the Steelers lost despite the Bengals' coaches making some of the worst calls a staff has made this season. It included going for 56-yard field goal, when Cincinnati could have pinned the Steelers deep late in the game, and a ridiculously horrid deep pass on third-and-1 again late in the contest.

That last call so infuriated Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham that he screamed at Bengals coaches as he walked off the field and continued to scream at them once he reached the sideline."

We are in danger of going one-and-done if the offensive calls keep deteriorating. The only thing definitive about this team going into the playoffs is the defensive front four. Not the offense. Not AJ in the last couple of weeks. Not the ineptitude of the coaching staff when we had the ball. Just the front four. They are coming in HOT. We need the entire team like that. The defense can only do so much. Marv, please get them out of this funk! Set them free! Let Dalton call the plays. Let the offense play to their potential. If you prepared them correctly, then trust in them and set them free when they are on the field.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5980
Default Re: Even the players see it....

I'm glad Jermaine has the intensity -- it raises everyone's game, but cmon. Hindsight is 20/20 and sometimes you've got to go with your gut. Yeah we went for it when we should've kicked and kicked when we should've gone for it. You know what? Both of those plays came close to working anyways.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
I'm glad Jermaine has the intensity -- it raises everyone's game, but cmon. Hindsight is 20/20 and sometimes you've got to go with your gut. Yeah we went for it when we should've kicked and kicked when we should've gone for it. You know what? Both of those plays came close to working anyways.
My point is that the offense is not playing with the same intensity and urgency the defense is playing.

There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Well, according to some around here, Marvin made all the right calls..... Looks like the even the players disagree.

Anyways, moving onto Baltimore.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11051

So Marvin messed up a couple calls, it's done now. Marvin has made gutsy calls all year and usually they have paid off. We got away with a couple, still got a W.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8320
bengals Re: Even the players see it....

Quote:
I think if you're upset that it's happening before/while it's happening (like Gresham and others), the 20/20 hindsight excuse doesn't work. That only works if everyone thought it was a good idea until it didn't work.. which most people didn't.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5583

Quote:
The coaching could be tha Achilles heel of this team. From insisting upon playing Cook, to kicking a field goal with 180 seconds left inthe Miami game to give the ball back to Miami with the lead even if they made it (Nugent didn't), to the bad challenges and personel issues that leaves the team with no timeouts with 14:29 left in the game, to continuing to run BJGE who is averaging less than a yard a carry against the Steelers when Peerman doesn't get a single carry, to the 3rd and one bomb and the 56 yarder mentioned in the original post this kind of stuff has gone on under Marvin not only this year, but for years.

The coaching staff makes me nervous. I hope their bad decisions don't overwhelm the great effort of the players. Notice you don't hear the "Gruden for head coach" stuff anymore.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
My point is that the offense is not playing with the same intensity and urgency the defense is playing.
You have a quote of an offensive player screaming as he is walking off the field yet are now claiming their is no intensity or urgency?

Ok.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
So Marvin messed up a couple calls, it's done now. Marvin has made gutsy calls all year and usually they have paid off. We got away with a couple, still got a W.
I'm not talking about gutsy calls, I can live with going for it on those 4th & forever downs. I'm talking about bad calls, like having the lead with a few minutes left and just passing the ball around like a hot potato. It looks like we win because the other team makes mistakes. We can't be this inept in the playoffs. But if we are depending on the other team to make mistakes, then we are done. We have to dictate and dominate.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Well, according to some around here, Marvin made all the right calls..... Looks like the even the players disagree.

I just have to wonder....could this be it for Lewis as HC? I don't think he is canned...maybe the Brown's (Katie) finally realize it MAY be the time to move ML to GM where quick thinking is not crucical. Even ML sdmitted the team bailed him out. This would clear the way for a Zimmer promotion. YEAH, I KNOW. History says no, but when have the Bengals last appeared in back to back playoffs?!? Any thoughts?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
LINK

Excerpt:

"Perhaps most shocking is the Steelers lost despite the Bengals' coaches making some of the worst calls a staff has made this season. It included going for 56-yard field goal, when Cincinnati could have pinned the Steelers deep late in the game, and a ridiculously horrid deep pass on third-and-1 again late in the contest.

That last call so infuriated Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham that he screamed at Bengals coaches as he walked off the field and continued to scream at them once he reached the sideline."

We are in danger of going one-and-done if the offensive calls keep deteriorating. The only thing definitive about this team going into the playoffs is the defensive front four. Not the offense. Not AJ in the last couple of weeks. Not the ineptitude of the coaching staff when we had the ball. Just the front four. They are coming in HOT. We need the entire team like that. The defense can only do so much. Marv, please get them out of this funk! Set them free! Let Dalton call the plays. Let the offense play to their potential. If you prepared them correctly, then trust in them and set them free when they are on the field.
Marvin Lewris did his best to lose that game. The guy is a complete idiot and has no idea what it takes to manage a football game.
Some say he was being aggressive. Was he? What happened at the end of the half?
This team will never contend with him running the ship.
Like i said earlier in the room, this team is loaded with talent and could be a Super Bowl contender for years to come with a new HC.
When it's all said and done this season the groupies will come back down to reality and wonder once again why this clown is still the HC.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post

You want some French cries with your waaaaahmburger?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
The coaching could be tha Achilles heel of this team. From insisting upon playing Cook, to kicking a field goal with 180 seconds left inthe Miami game to give the ball back to Miami with the lead even if they made it (Nugent didn't), to the bad challenges and personel issues that leaves the team with no timeouts with 14:29 left in the game, to continuing to run BJGE who is averaging less than a yard a carry against the Steelers when Peerman doesn't get a single carry, to the 3rd and one bomb and the 56 yarder mentioned in the original post this kind of stuff has gone on under Marvin not only this year, but for years.

The coaching staff makes me nervous. I hope their bad decisions don't overwhelm the great effort of the players. Notice you don't hear the "Gruden for head coach" stuff anymore.
Yeah, I will admit my blinders towards Gruden have slowly faded away. Just because he was not Bratkowski, I was willing to give him 2 mostly judgement free years.. but he's really not looking so great on play calling.

I also don't understand his refusal to have two TE sets where both TEs go out to run routes. Wouldn't that theoretically help the Bengals' atrocious 3rd down conversion rate? A 6'5", 260lb and 6'3" 250lb guy who both can run... patrolling around in the middle and you can't convert third downs? Also, the Bengals have to be the worst screen offense in the league.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
Marvin Lewris did his best to lose that game. The guy is a complete idiot and has no idea what it takes to manage a football game.
Some say he was being aggressive. Was he? What happened at the end of the half?
This team will never contend with him running the ship.
Like i said earlier in the room, this team is loaded with talent and could be a Super Bowl contender for years to come with a new HC.
When it's all said and done this season the groupies will come back down to reality and wonder once again why this clown is still the HC.
It's a Super Bowl team with Super Bowl talent? Well who the heck do you think put this team together and got them to play at such a high level???????

Also, nobody, and I mean nobody would have tried to drive it down the length of the field before halftime against the #1 defense in the league. So Pacman got beat and they gave up their ONE BAD PLAY of the day... Big whoop!

Some of you must have rocks for brains.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

There were a couple times on Sunday when it was 2nd and short or 3rd and short and were throwing it deep! What the hell is that? Why would Andy do that? It hasnt worked all game, why would it all the sudden work at the end of the game? AD has to be smarter then that. Those short yardage situations are perfect for Hawkins, Whalen and even Gresham. Get the first down before you start launching it deep. Run a screen pass every now an then.

Thank God we won that game, bc if we had lost, the entire city would be wanting Marvins head on a stick. The way the defense played gives me a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. If our offense can get on the same page with our defense, we are going to be a scary team.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5025

Quote:
LINK

Excerpt:

Marvin has the pressure of no playoff wins or SB as a head coach. He's playing the Steelers at their house and wants to win bad, mainly just to get in the playoffs. We couldn't generate anything on the ground to help.
Desperation, yeah I think so. I wasn't happy about not kicking a 51, and turned my back on the 56 try. Our D was playing well but one play from Ben and it would've been over.
Back to back playoff appearances, check
Playoff win????
AFC Title?????
SB???????
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
It's a Super Bowl team with Super Bowl talent? Well who the heck do you think put this team together and got them to play at such a high level???????

Marvin put the team together and Zimmer got the defense to play at a high level... (The offense is ranked 20th last I checked, that's not a high level).. hence most people's insistence that if you move Marvin to GM he can keep putting the team together and you won't lose Zimmer to some other team giving him a head coaching job.

- - - - -

Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
There were a couple times on Sunday when it was 2nd and short or 3rd and short and were throwing it deep! What the hell is that? Why would Andy do that? It hasnt worked all game, why would it all the sudden work at the end of the game? AD has to be smarter then that. Those short yardage situations are perfect for Hawkins, Whalen and even Gresham. Get the first down before you start launching it deep. Run a screen pass every now an then.

Thank God we won that game, bc if we had lost, the entire city would be wanting Marvins head on a stick. The way the defense played gives me a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. If our offense can get on the same page with our defense, we are going to be a scary team.
You mean Gruden?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Marvin has the pressure of no playoff wins or SB as a head coach. He's playing the Steelers at their house and wants to win bad, mainly just to get in the playoffs. We couldn't generate anything on the ground to help.
Desperation, yeah I think so. I wasn't happy about not kicking a 51, and turned my back on the 56 try. Our D was playing well but one play from Ben and it would've been over.
Back to back playoff appearances, check
Playoff win????
AFC Title?????
SB???????
But one play from Ben and it would've been over?

Think of how many teams could say that about how many QBs every week... The fact is, we went into our most heated rivals stadium, knocked them around, kept them from making that "one big play" and ended their season.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
You want some French cries with your waaaaahmburger?
This joke is new and exciting.

Marvin made all the right calls, don't worry
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11051

We knocked the Stillers outta the playoffs, and clinched a playoff spot in the same week.

GRRRRRRRRR, I'm angry.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You mean Gruden?
You can throw Grudens name in the mix, but it inevitably comes down to who executes the play. AJ Green isnt the only WR out there, and Andy makes that mistake to many times. He looks AJs way and tries to force the ball multiple times a game. He isnt letting the play develop enough and would launch the ball before anyone else gets the chance to get open. Gruden makes the play call, Andy executes. You can blame them both.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2824

Quote:

Also, nobody, and I mean nobody would have tried to drive it down the length of the field before halftime against the #1 defense in the league. So Pacman got beat and they gave up their ONE BAD PLAY of the day... Big whoop!

Exactly. Do people actually believe the moronic crap they write????

I guess the players are so fed up with Marvin and his staff that they qualified for the playoffs in three of the past four years just to spite him. Real solid logic going on here.

You want to see a team that is questioning or giving up on its coach? I'd suggest turning on a Chargers, Jets or Eagles game.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

Gruden makes the offensive calls!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Gruden makes the offensive calls!!!!!
Yesssssss, I understand this!!!!! But he doesnt make the throws!!!!! You guys are acting like AJ is the only WR out there at times. Its 3rd and 2 yards to go and you are posting as if the only routes that are run are deep routes. Gresham on a curl route? Hawkins coming across the middle? You dont throw the deep ball on a 3rd and 2 unless the guy is wide open. Especially late in a game against Pittsburgh.

I know Gruden makes the calls. You have to put some blame on AD for trying to go deep. Look for a short route to get the first down and then go deep on the next play.