Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 572
bengals The difference between mj & dunlap this year

Both are having good seasons, and both have improved this year in different aspects of their game. Dunlap has been able to stay relatively healthy this year and has improved his run defense by leaps and bounds. Before, I could completely understand why Marvin and Zimmer would start Geathers over Dunlap because he was slightly above terrible playing the run. This year, Dunlap has been tenacious against the run. The motor that scouts complained about when he came out of college is in Zimmer's garbage can.

I can't count how many times I have seen Dunlap make a tackle when the runner has broken the line of scrimmage. He just doesn't give up. Case in point....... the tackle he made on Big Ben at the end of the game to keep Ben from getting a first down. THAT TACKLE SAVED THE GAME FOR US!!!!!!! Trust me........... if Big Ben gets that first down, the game is over. Instead of being a 53yd field goal, we are probably looking at a very make able 40 something yard field goal and the game is over.

MJ as I have already said in a previous thread has improved his game all around. (BIG SHOUT OUT TO TORRO!!!). I live in Atlanta (Vinings) and have watched your son play since his Georgia Tech days and his improvement since then has been wonderful. If it wasn't for Dunlap grabbing Romo's facemask MJ would have 10 sacks already. And as I rewatched the Steeler game, if Geno didn't get the sack MJ would have b/c on 2 of Geno's sacks MJ was a half a second behind him. MJ is always going against the opponents best offensive lineman and he has stepped up on the run and pass. We must resign him.

The biggest difference between the two this year is finishing. When MJ gets to the QB 9 out of 10 times he will get the sack. The other time he doesn't is b/c Geno is already sitting on the QB. Now Dunlap on the other hand has missed numerous sacks b/c of going so fast once he gets around the right tackle the QB just side steps him. This happened twice in the Steeler game and numerous games this season. Its like once he beats his man he doesn't anticipate the QB's counter move to avoid the sack. Once Dunlap improves on this aspect of his game we will have 2 bookends that will average double digit sacks every year!!!!

WHODEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: The difference between mj & dunlap this year

I find that Dunlap gets to the quarterback a lot more than MJ, but he can't finish the sack. He's still a good end, but he seems to over pursue quite a bit. Both are fantastic in the run game though!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7657
bengals Re: The difference between mj & dunlap this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir TalonHawk View Post
If it wasn't for Dunlap grabbing Romo's facemask MJ would have 10 sacks already.
Actually positive that he still got the sack for that. The sack counts, but then the penalty gives the yardage and the first down.

If you look at the Dallas game box score, both MJ and Dunlap have 0.5 sacks for that game which is actually referring to that play.

0-5 Postseason, 7-18 Prime Time, 93-90-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3353

So you guys are sayin Dunlap should slow down?

Iv seen him miss sacks too.....maybe when he beats a lineman he should square up to the tackle instead of rushing full speed ahead. Also maybe hes just not really strong for a DE. Iv seen QBs sidestep Geno and if Geno gets an arm on you, your coming down period.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1436

MJ looks totally cool...... no matter if he gets to the qb or not and Dunlap looks cooler if he gets to the qb... Both are totally awesome! stopping the run and MJ batting down passes... I love the fact they are so tall and cool looking!! both of them.. awesome..
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon23 View Post
MJ looks totally cool...... no matter if he gets to the qb or not and Dunlap looks cooler if he gets to the qb... Both are totally awesome! stopping the run and MJ batting down passes... I love the fact they are so tall and cool looking!! both of them.. awesome..
Marlon is:

1. 1960's girl talking about The Beatles?

Or

2. Tebow at the beginning of the season talking about being traded to the Jets?

0-5 Postseason, 7-18 Prime Time, 93-90-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Marlon is:

1. 1960's girl talking about The Beatles?

Or

2. Tebow at the beginning of the season talking about being traded to the Jets?

HAHAHA The Beatles overrated....!!! They just totally look cool to me... I am short... and not that cool looking and they are both doing a very good job on the line!! This year..
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post

Iv seen him miss sacks too.....maybe when he beats a lineman he should square up to the tackle instead of rushing full speed ahead. Also maybe hes just not really strong for a DE. Iv seen QBs sidestep Geno and if Geno gets an arm on you, your coming down period.
No, I'm not saying he should slow down at all. He just has to get better at finishing that's all. His numbers will skyrocket once he does. I am just glad he has been mostly healthy this season.

WHODEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon23 View Post
I'll give you that. MJ looks pretty bad ***. Looks like the Terminator. I wouldn't mess with him.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
I'll give you that. MJ looks pretty bad ***. Looks like the Terminator. I wouldn't mess with him.

Thank you that is what I am saying in a non weird way!! hahaha just totally looks cool to me.. Thanks... have a good one bye bye!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24734

Geno Atkins basically being double or triple teamed every down is the difference.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 40563

MJ has exceeded expectation

Carlos has not
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 815

Quote:
Both are having good seasons, and both have improved this year in different aspects of their game. Dunlap has been able to stay relatively healthy this year and has improved his run defense by leaps and bounds. Before, I could completely understand why Marvin and Zimmer would start Geathers over Dunlap because he was slightly above terrible playing the run. This year, Dunlap has been tenacious against the run. The motor that scouts complained about when he came out of college is in Zimmer's garbage can.

I can't count how many times I have seen Dunlap make a tackle when the runner has broken the line of scrimmage. He just doesn't give up. Case in point....... the tackle he made on Big Ben at the end of the game to keep Ben from getting a first down. THAT TACKLE SAVED THE GAME FOR US!!!!!!! Trust me........... if Big Ben gets that first down, the game is over. Instead of being a 53yd field goal, we are probably looking at a very make able 40 something yard field goal and the game is over.

MJ as I have already said in a previous thread has improved his game all around. (BIG SHOUT OUT TO TORRO!!!). I live in Atlanta (Vinings) and have watched your son play since his Georgia Tech days and his improvement since then has been wonderful. If it wasn't for Dunlap grabbing Romo's facemask MJ would have 10 sacks already. And as I rewatched the Steeler game, if Geno didn't get the sack MJ would have b/c on 2 of Geno's sacks MJ was a half a second behind him. MJ is always going against the opponents best offensive lineman and he has stepped up on the run and pass. We must resign him.

The biggest difference between the two this year is finishing. When MJ gets to the QB 9 out of 10 times he will get the sack. The other time he doesn't is b/c Geno is already sitting on the QB. Now Dunlap on the other hand has missed numerous sacks b/c of going so fast once he gets around the right tackle the QB just side steps him. This happened twice in the Steeler game and numerous games this season. Its like once he beats his man he doesn't anticipate the QB's counter move to avoid the sack. Once Dunlap improves on this aspect of his game we will have 2 bookends that will average double digit sacks every year!!!!

WHODEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks. He came on this year.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2724

Quote:
Originally Posted by torro View Post

Wait....your MJ's Father
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3207

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
Wait....your MJ's Father
I thought everyone on this board knew that already

WHODEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torro View Post
Hopefully they give him a nice contract this offseason and he's a Bengal for many more years to come. MJ, Atkins, and Dunlap for the next 7 years sounds awfully nice.

Mike Brown's gotta get that done.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1139

Quote:
Wait....your MJ's Father

Im Patrick Sims Grand Dad
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

Quote:
.....The biggest difference between the two this year is finishing. When MJ gets to the QB 9 out of 10 times he will get the sack. The other time he doesn't is b/c Geno is already sitting on the QB. Now Dunlap on the other hand has missed numerous sacks b/c of going so fast once he gets around the right tackle the QB just side steps him....
Dunlap has developed into a solid DE, but after spending more time focusing on him while watching games this year I've toned down my expectations for him as a pass-rusher. He doesn't have really fluid movement or ability to change direction like the top pass rushers. More than a few of MJ's sacks this year have come when he's been initially well blocked outside, but he's come inside the block with a second move and gotten to the QB. Dunlap doesn't do this very well. As you alluded to, once set in one direction he finds it harder to adjust his path. I'm not down on Dunlap when all things he brings to the table are considered (solid run defense, tall and gets his arms up in the passing lanes etc.), but I wouldn't be surprised at all if his rookie sack numbers of 9.5 held up as his career high.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 AM
VIP Member

steelers Re: The difference between mj & dunlap this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Dunlap has developed into a solid DE, but after spending more time focusing on him while watching games this year I've toned down my expectations for him as a pass-rusher. He doesn't have really fluid movement or ability to change direction like the top pass rushers. More than a few of MJ's sacks this year have come when he's been initially well blocked outside, but he's come inside the block with a second move and gotten to the QB. Dunlap doesn't do this very well. As you alluded to, once set in one direction he finds it harder to adjust his path. I'm not down on Dunlap when all things he brings to the table are considered (solid run defense, tall and gets his arms up in the passing lanes etc.), but I wouldn't be surprised at all if his rookie sack numbers of 9.5 held up as his career high.
Yes, you are correct in your observation. I have seen the same thing as well, but I do disagree on your point that he will never surpass his rookie numbers. One thing that Marvin & Zimmer know how to do is coach defense and develop defensive players. I believe that in time Dunlap will develop into a more consistent finisher. Zimmer loves to coach technique and that is what Dunlap needs to work on.........his technique once he beats the right tackle. Just imagine what our sack/pressure numbers will be as a team once he does.

WHODEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

Quote:

Have you ever seen Geno in person? The guy is JACKED!!!! He almost has arms as big as some bodybuilders. I think a lot of players in the NFL have a tough time being as strong as him.
I saw him at training camp this year and I was surprised how built he actually is and understood where he got the Tasmanian Devil nickname.

On the subject of Dunlap, I've noticed he takes too wide of an angle around his man which just leaves him close enough to reach out and try to grab a handfull of jersey and is easily shrugged off by the QB. He needs to tighten up his cut just a bit and he will be right in line for a hard hit for a sack.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 704

About 4.5 sacks
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8703

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
Have you ever seen Geno in person? The guy is JACKED!!!! He almost has arms as big as some bodybuilders. I think a lot of players in the NFL have a tough time being as strong as him.
I saw him at training camp this year and I was surprised how built he actually is and understood where he got the Tasmanian Devil nickname.

On the subject of Dunlap, I've noticed he takes too wide of an angle around his man which just leaves him close enough to reach out and try to grab a handfull of jersey and is easily shrugged off by the QB. He needs to tighten up his cut just a bit and he will be right in line for a hard hit for a sack.
He has so much leverage too. Couple that with freakish strength...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 815

Quote:
Wait....your MJ's Father
Yes. I am the father of #93
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26812

Quote:

Dunlap is damn strong, that is not the problem.

The only problem i have seen with Dunlap is he goes too wide at times which helps out the RT.

MJ and Dunlap are great but Geno is who makes this D-line, Geno is the best DT in the game and flushes QB's to these guys.

I have always been a fan of MJ's who has the best wingspan and athleticism of the 2 but Dunlap just might be stronger and bigger overall.

Both could be great, we need to keep them here along with Geno, these guys are the reason our Defense is good.