Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25199
Default Re: The problem with the media

The Bengals will not get national media coverage until they start winning on a regular basis, grab some Lombardi's, and get a national following. Pittsburgh has that, and networks are smart to capitalize on what the majority want to see.

Until those things happen.....or the city of Cincinnati has a boom and becomes a big market, expect things to stay the same.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779
Default Re: The problem with the media

On Sportsnet in Toronto, Canada, they showed the pick6, the Steeler's TD, ALL THREE missed FGs and the winning FG.

They talked about the Bengals locking in the 6th seed and having the defence to turn some heads in the playoffs.

Yay Canada I suppose.

Dude, that being said, who cares? Let them consider us an afterthought. It's to our advantage. Let's hope the other teams are stupid enough to take us lightly.

Who dey.

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 283
Default Re: The Media Knows Cincinnati Won, Right?

**** NFL.com,bunch of haters!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5801

If you absolutely have to get love from the media, here's a bunch.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-pro3...9362--nfl.html
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Because I was all fired up, Bengals going to the playoffs, beat the Steelers which everyone was saying they needed to do to prove themselves... and then I look forward to reading all kinds of delicious articles and news coverage, right? Wrong. I really should know better by now, right?

NFL.com's game highlights video shows Polamalu and Allen but doesn't even MENTION Atkins
http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals

Even their Top 10 Performance Moments list 2 different Steelers plays.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...rmance-moments

Then I looked over to FoxSports and what greeted me there was Brian Billick's Power Rankings.. where the Bengals beating the Steelers actually dropped a rank to 11... and the Steelers losing 5 of their last 6 don't drop a single spot to stay at 16.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

I've seen as many articles/videos about the Bengals beating the Steelers to clinch the playoffs as I have seen articles about the Bengals claiming that WR from Chicago. I haven't seen any mention of Atkins throwing Ramon Foster around like a ragdoll other than ProFootballFocus, and there's been absolutely no coverage about the fact that he's 5th in the LEAGUE in sacks as a DT no less and outpacing John Randle's career now.. remember how much coverage Suh got when he had those 10 sacks?

I know I should be used to it by now, and I shouldn't expect otherwise, but still.. it's ridiculous how little I can go online to the major media outlets and get some enjoyment reading/watching about my favorite team.

No arguments with any of this. Good post.

As much as I totally agree I kind of like the Stealth Mode coming into the playoffs.

Hopefully we build the momentum and put some of the dolls of the NFL on their cans early on in the playoff run.

I'd love to play Denver again for the AFC Title.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

I think I believe that if we made the 4th and 22, this game would have been way different!!

Meaning that the Steelers back bone would have been broken and they would have felt helpless against our defense. We would have broke that sense of urgency that they did not have the entire season. The Steelers played like a team with their back against the wall at home.

We beat them, that was huge in changing the perception of the Bengals!!! Anybody who does not believe that is a naysayer.

Beating Baltimore will be huge as well. All of a sudden we have won, what 7 of 8 games? Imagine them repeating that over and over again against the Patriots in the playoffs. Not only that, but everyone in the country will be rooting for us to beat the Patriots (minus the obvious fans).

Now, is that is a huge step, and the recognition will come. Win on that stage, with them repeating how good our defense is and how many games we have won and then they remind everyone that we are a last second field goal from riding an 8 game winning streak into the playoffs and the media attention will come. They will repeat over and over again how the Bengals have made the playoffs 3 out 4 years. Not only that, but when we win that game, it will be a HUGE story about how long it has been since we have won a playoff game.

I can see it now, interviews with players who were last on that playoff win, the media dying to get interviews from our current players. Then talk about our matchup against Houston and how they ousted us last year and how we want revenge this year, which leads them into the conversation about our matchup for the week

It may even be too much and we become a victim of our own success in the next game (unless we are mature enough).

I think I know that this is what is going to happen, but maybe I am just getting carried away and all excited just writing all of this.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 196
bengals Re: The Media Knows Cincinnati Won, Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I watched the NFL.com clip. Saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.
I know what you saying...But i dont want them to say anything about us untill where sitting in the superbowl.....And the world is shocked and dont know what just hit them.....Let them keep talking about RG3 payton manning and brady......And well just keep knocking them down like bowling pins......It takes alot to take away 22 years of losing....But at some point there gonna have to understand that this team has made it to the next level....If they dont get it this year they will next year ......When we start out 7 and 0 and go 14 and 2 and our sitting in the cat seat come playoff time....Having said that i love the fact that any team we play we have a real shot at beating....Unlike in the passed when we would find away to beat ourselfs ....I think it is safe to say them days are over....Where not the bungals anymore .....
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
I think I believe that if we made the 4th and 22, this game would have been way different!!

Meaning that the Steelers back bone would have been broken and they would have felt helpless against our defense. We would have broke that sense of urgency that they did not have the entire season. The Steelers played like a team with their back against the wall at home.

We beat them, that was huge in changing the perception of the Bengals!!! Anybody who does not believe that is a naysayer.

Beating Baltimore will be huge as well. All of a sudden we have won, what 7 of 8 games? Imagine them repeating that over and over again against the Patriots in the playoffs. Not only that, but everyone in the country will be rooting for us to beat the Patriots (minus the obvious fans).

Now, is that is a huge step, and the recognition will come. Win on that stage, with them repeating how good our defense is and how many games we have won and then they remind everyone that we are a last second field goal from riding an 8 game winning streak into the playoffs and the media attention will come. They will repeat over and over again how the Bengals have made the playoffs 3 out 4 years. Not only that, but when we win that game, it will be a HUGE story about how long it has been since we have won a playoff game.

I can see it now, interviews with players who were last on that playoff win, the media dying to get interviews from our current players. Then talk about our matchup against Houston and how they ousted us last year and how we want revenge this year, which leads them into the conversation about our matchup for the week

It may even be too much and we become a victim of our own success in the next game (unless we are mature enough).

I think I know that this is what is going to happen, but maybe I am just getting carried away and all excited just writing all of this.

LOL keep talking......YEAH WHAT HE SAID!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Because I was all fired up, Bengals going to the playoffs, beat the Steelers which everyone was saying they needed to do to prove themselves... and then I look forward to reading all kinds of delicious articles and news coverage, right? Wrong. I really should know better by now, right?

NFL.com's game highlights video shows Polamalu and Allen but doesn't even MENTION Atkins

Then I looked over to FoxSports and what greeted me there was Brian Billick's Power Rankings.. where the Bengals beating the Steelers actually dropped a rank to 11... and the Steelers losing 5 of their last 6 don't drop a single spot to stay at 16.

I've seen as many articles/videos about the Bengals beating the Steelers to clinch the playoffs as I have seen articles about the Bengals claiming that WR from Chicago. I haven't seen any mention of Atkins throwing Ramon Foster around like a ragdoll other than ProFootballFocus, and there's been absolutely no coverage about the fact that he's 5th in the LEAGUE in sacks as a DT no less and outpacing John Randle's career now.. remember how much coverage Suh got when he had those 10 sacks?

I know I should be used to it by now, and I shouldn't expect otherwise, but still.. it's ridiculous how little I can go online to the major media outlets and get some enjoyment reading/watching about my favorite team.
Damn. You must have some serious daddy issues or something.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull durham View Post
damn. You must have some serious daddy issues or something.
lol!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Aside from the pick-six, which play do you want them to show to prove how we belong in the top tier of NFL teams? On which series did our offense impose their will on the injured Steelers team that lost 5 of their last 6? Scoring 6 on a team that got taken to OT by the worst team in the league is nothing to brag about. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won and got to the playoffs, but we proved nothing in that game.

You do realize that we were one broken coverage by Adam Jones on a double move (which by the way 80% of the corners in the league get torched by) away from going in at half 10-0 at Pittsburgh right? You also do realize that that worn out banged up defense has still managed to hold on the the number 1 spot through all of those injuries correct? I am not sure what you expected. Very rarely does anyone put 30 on the number one defense, THAT'S WHY THEIR NUMBER ONE! The only complaint I have is the ridiculous 56 yard FG attempt. Damn man give them a break for playing hard nosed football against a good team.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Damn. You must have some serious daddy issues or something.
Damn you must have nothing better to do than troll someones post that actually had substance, unlike yours.
I often get frustrated by the media as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 823

I'm used to it. It is what it is. Just gotta keep doing our talking on the field.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 550

Wins against Baltimore and New England would go a long way toward changing people's perceptions.

But then next year they could do a 2010.

It's our beloved, never boring Bengals. They would need a decade's worth of winning seasons/playoff appearances, a Super Bowl win or two before people's perceptions change.

Besides, who the eff cares? I'd still be rooting for them anyway. Call me crazy.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer jenkins View Post
Damn you must have nothing better to do than troll someones post that actually had substance, unlike yours.
I often get frustrated by the media as well.
Don't want to comment for Bull Durham. But, what I got from his comment about "Daddy Issues" makes sense.

The OP is crying because he feels he's not getting enough attention for the team he likes. That sort of "crying" does sound a bit precocious.

There are plenty of talking heads commenting on the Bengals. Truth is, in the past, they were talking about Chad, or T.O., or Corry Dillon, or Carson's "retirement", etc.

I'd rather not hear about those types of comments.

Bengals are quietly doing what they're supposed to do. They aren't trying to grab the first commentator they can find. They aren't trying to grab the first microphone that's within 20 feet of them. They aren't fighting with their OC or coach. They aren't posting lists for the media to see. I've not heard one comment on the Bengals side about their "power ranking". I haven't heard Marvin have to once mention anything about needing to explain a player's untoward's behavior.

Stories like Ben fighting with his OC makes the media look at the team. As does, Harrison's fines, or Mendenhall's deactivation, etc.

The media will look closely at teams that have negative publicity and cover them more. This season has been a media disaster for the steelers. They get a little bit of positive pub. But, mostly it's been negative.

You do well, keep out of the negative headline list, you aren't going to get much pub.

I'm fine with that. We don't need anyone else to tell us our team is good. We don't need any media outlets to stroke our egos. Leave that for the broken steeler fans.

Last edited by graphicguy; 12-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462
bengals Re: The Media Knows Cincinnati Won, Right?

Quote:

I wonder the same thing about many "fans" .....they realize we won right?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
We proved a LOT in that game. Beat 'em at their own game in front of all their dirtbag fans. How can that not be huge?
Defense proved a lot! This was a game they had to make a statement and they did. 4 sacks, 2 Ints, and a forced fumble. They showed they could shock and worry Ben. They showed they could give their offense some protection.

The team showed they could win the tough ones. Have they been pretty? IMO who cares a win is a win, they don't all have to be spectacular blow outs.

They showed they have the ability to exploit other teams. The Texans have holes, The Ravens have problems. Even New England and Denver are beatable teams.

The Bengals proved "we" have a shot regardless of what any pundit says. If you can keep the other teams offense off the board then you are always in a game.

Not to mention this offense may find some identity in the playoffs.