Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11270
Default Re: Even the players see it....

If those 3 plays don't happen, (Nelson pick, Andy to Green, field goal) I guarantee everyone would agree with the coaching mistakes.

This team won by being good, despite some head-scratching play calling. Which includes, although not limited to, Cook playing all the snaps, Peerman getting zero carries, and taking Herron out of STs after he was doing well on them.

I just want the Bengals to win a Super Bowl. If Marvin does it? Awesome. If not? Well it's the same feeling every year then.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5801

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
i watched that play over and over and josh browns foot scraped the turf a little bit and kept him from driving it a little better. I think he would have made it if not for that.and as far as marvin goes, he has come full circle in allowing his players to win the game, like 4th and 22. Now thats a big time gutsy call and it was a catch for the first down, except his foot was slightly out.i love marvin is doing things wild, instead of being so boring conservative.its refreshing and will win him a game.ie, shaun peyton of the saints.it throws your enemy off.
I'm OK with Marvin being aggressive.....especially when trying to get into the post season. I think some forget what was going on in the game. The wind was blowing towards that end of the field. Josh did scrape his foot a little bit. If not, I think he would have made it.

As far as this.....That last call so infuriated Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham that he screamed at Bengals coaches as he walked off the field and continued to scream at them once he reached the sideline.

....I didn't see that at all. Don't know what the reporters saw sitting in the booth. I was actually closer to the field than the media booth was, too. I also had binoculars. But, we were at the game and didn't see anything close to this. I think someone is trying to make a salacious story where there isn't one.

No doubt it was an intense game. I saw a lot of intensity on both sidelines. I think Bengals players were really trying to turn up the intensity even more. There was a lot of shouting at no one in particular on both sidelines trying to get the intensity level even higher throughout the entire game. Jermaine definitely DID NOT yell at any coaches, or other players.

There was plenty of yelling from the stands directed towards the Bengals bench (and me, personally). But, that was it.

Sheesh!

Last edited by graphicguy; 12-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 752

I thought Gres was yelling because they did not throw it to him!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMEYERS View Post
I thought Gres was yelling because they did not throw it to him!!!
Gresham stayed in to block James Harrison on the play, so I'd be surprised if he thought they should have thrown the ball to him.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

You play to win the game.......

you thought I'd write something else and add to the discussion? Shame on you
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

There is a difference between aggressiveness and flat stupidity. Marvin's two decisions fall squarely in the latter category. The likliehood of converting a 4th and 22 against the best defense in the NFL playing inspired football is extremely low. The likliehood of converting a 56 yard field goal in what is notoriously a horrible stadium to kick in is also extremely low. Both just awful, indefensible coaching decisions in a huge game. Luckily, all is well that ends well. Bengals won in spite of Marvin's decisions, not because of them. All we can hope is that he learned from the experience. Like Marv said, the players bailed him out.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11820

More like the defense bailed him out. But he can only go to the well so many times.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14155

So we pass on a 51 yarder and go for it on 4th and 22 instead of attempting the kick or punting...

then run the clock out with 1:09 and 2 timeouts...

then the bomb on 3rd and 1...

then deciding to go for a 56 yarder into the tougher end of the stadium instead of pinning them back...

Yeah, we're very lucky we won that one...Thanks Jen!

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6027

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
So Marvin messed up a couple calls, it's done now. Marvin has made gutsy calls all year and usually they have paid off. We got away with a couple, still got a W.

Oh you mean the fake FG that we failed to convert and turned over on downs leaving us with a 7 point lead instead of a two score lead?

And why is the article in the OP not even mentioning the stupidest of all calls he made in that steeler game which was going for it on 4th and 22 while having a lead? (which also failed)

Marvin was never gutsy,,,played not to lose instead of to win,,,now that hes decided to make some gutsy calls he picks the wrong times to do them.

Show me a coach in the league that would risk giving up a 2 score lead on an easy FG to fake it for 7.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
Oh you mean the fake FG that we failed to convert and turned over on downs leaving us with a 7 point lead instead of a two score lead?

And why is the article in the OP not even mentioning the stupidest of all calls he made in that steeler game which was going for it on 4th and 22 while having a lead? (which also failed)

Marvin was never gutsy,,,played not to lose instead of to win,,,now that hes decided to make some gutsy calls he picks the wrong times to do them.

Show me a coach in the league that would risk giving up a 2 score lead on an easy FG to fake it for 7.
Lol.
So much inaccurate info here.
Marvin was incredibly gutsy in going for it during our win streak. Plain and simple.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1695

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
What makes you believe the offense will look "tons" better?
Just using the reasoning of the weaker defenses we might be facing.

Last edited by CINCYPRODUCT; 12-27-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1784
bengals Re: Even the players see it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
The longest field goal EVER made in the 12 year history of Heinz field is 52 yards. So, sure, it would have looked great for Lewis if the kick had been successful. But, it wasn't, and more than a decade's worth of history says there was no way it ever was going to be. Good coaching is about playing the odds, and when you call for something with pretty close to 0% odds in anything other than a desperate game situation that's what I'd call a bad decision.
yes, marvin lewis is going to be questioned about these so-called gutsy calls. they were scary for sure.both of them almost became a reality.if we had lost that game, he would be in big trouble for this, but earlier in the season, i slammed him for being too conservative, which is still is , and i cannot fault him for trying to win the game.if A.J.had come down in bounds on 4th and 22 , we could have at least kicked a field goal in that series.hopefully, he does not go back to being too conservative in the playoffs. a few gutsy calls or trick plays as i like to call them,could be the difference in a win in the playoffs.yes, he scares me at times, but this year in all his years here, i have seen a difference in him with this offense. he is starting to open it up more and not be so predictable.all of us fans are expecting to win. thats all any of us want.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Lol, I like Dalton every week he grows on me. But I am not one of those sheep here who sees that Ginger Jesus does no wrong. Plus, I was the one two years ago who said getting rid of both diva WR's was not a good idea. AJ needed help and I knew Caldwell and Jerome Simpson were horrible. Now finally, some people have realized we need better WR's.
With the departure of Chad and TO the collective Bengal ship rose. It is no surprise that both of them are out of football.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
LINK

Excerpt:

"Perhaps most shocking is the Steelers lost despite the Bengals' coaches making some of the worst calls a staff has made this season. It included going for 56-yard field goal, when Cincinnati could have pinned the Steelers deep late in the game, and a ridiculously horrid deep pass on third-and-1 again late in the contest.

That last call so infuriated Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham that he screamed at Bengals coaches as he walked off the field and continued to scream at them once he reached the sideline."

We are in danger of going one-and-done if the offensive calls keep deteriorating. The only thing definitive about this team going into the playoffs is the defensive front four. Not the offense. Not AJ in the last couple of weeks. Not the ineptitude of the coaching staff when we had the ball. Just the front four. They are coming in HOT. We need the entire team like that. The defense can only do so much. Marv, please get them out of this funk! Set them free! Let Dalton call the plays. Let the offense play to their potential. If you prepared them correctly, then trust in them and set them free when they are on the field.

Marv, the Grude and Alexander definately need to step it up in terms of coaching if we want to win a playoff game no doubt.

If they coach well we could go all the way, if not, one and done.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24053

Black Jesus made some bad calls and the team bailed him out, winning in spite of the coaching.

Great when it happens, but the team cannot survive this level of coaching in the post season.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Marv, the Grude and Alexander definately need to step it up in terms of coaching if we want to win a playoff game no doubt.

If they coach well we could go all the way, if not, one and done.
I remember some of the play-calling when the Bengals were 3-1. They were on fire as an offense passing. During the 4 win streak? Also on fire during the run game.

If this team gets the passing offense back to what it was earlier in this season, this team can compete with any team. There was some very good play calling back then. And there has been from game to game, but there needs to be a consistency.

The offense is leaving points on the field. But if they fine tune some things and catch balls, this offense can go against any team.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Black Jesus made some bad calls and the team bailed him out, winning in spite of the coaching.

Great when it happens, but the team cannot survive this level of coaching in the post season.
Oh nooooooooo. You called out coaching. That means you are an unhappy Bengals fan because you aren't completely homerized into thinking that Marvin won this game, whereas the players won despite Marvin.

Either way, happy about the win.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
There were a couple times on Sunday when it was 2nd and short or 3rd and short and were throwing it deep! What the hell is that? Why would Andy do that? It hasnt worked all game, why would it all the sudden work at the end of the game? AD has to be smarter then that. Those short yardage situations are perfect for Hawkins, Whalen and even Gresham. Get the first down before you start launching it deep. Run a screen pass every now an then.

Thank God we won that game, bc if we had lost, the entire city would be wanting Marvins head on a stick. The way the defense played gives me a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. If our offense can get on the same page with our defense, we are going to be a scary team.
Actually, 2nd and short is the exact time to go long especially with a good run fake first.The D will always bite on the fake on second dowm. Not as likely on 3rd. down.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
I remember some of the play-calling when the Bengals were 3-1. They were on fire as an offense passing. During the 4 win streak? Also on fire during the run game.

If this team gets the passing offense back to what it was earlier in this season, this team can compete with any team. There was some very good play calling back then. And there has been from game to game, but there needs to be a consistency.

The offense is leaving points on the field. But if they fine tune some things and catch balls, this offense can go against any team.

The truth. Gruden has shown that he can be a great playcaller, that is the good thing about
all of this. We know that he can cause he has shown it before. When our Offense is in a
rhythm and our O-line is blocking well we are a great Offense.

We put the our best Offense on the field with our Defense and we could definately go all
the way. But we need our coaches to step it up down the stretch.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

The truth. Gruden has shown that he can be a great playcaller, that is the good thing about
all of this. We know that he can cause he has shown it before. When our Offense is in a
rhythm and our O-line is blocking well we are a great Offense.

We put the our best Offense on the field with our Defense and we could definately go all
the way. But we need our coaches to step it up down the stretch.
It's just consistency with Gruden. I remember in the 2nd Browns game, the Bengals took ZERO deep shots until the 4th quarter. I think Gruden has potential, he just needs to be more consistent.

If he can get this offense playing on all cylinders, this team will be dangerous. That's why I like matching up against New England and Houston in the playoffs. Their defenses haven't been great lately (Houston allowing Ponder to beat them, Patriots letting Henne almost beat them). This defense is better than their statistics.

This defense has allowed 13 points or fewer seven times this season. The Bengals won all those games.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
LINK

Excerpt:

"Perhaps most shocking is the Steelers lost despite the Bengals' coaches making some of the worst calls a staff has made this season. It included going for 56-yard field goal, when Cincinnati could have pinned the Steelers deep late in the game, and a ridiculously horrid deep pass on third-and-1 again late in the contest.

That last call so infuriated Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham that he screamed at Bengals coaches as he walked off the field and continued to scream at them once he reached the sideline."

We are in danger of going one-and-done if the offensive calls keep deteriorating. The only thing definitive about this team going into the playoffs is the defensive front four. Not the offense. Not AJ in the last couple of weeks. Not the ineptitude of the coaching staff when we had the ball. Just the front four. They are coming in HOT. We need the entire team like that. The defense can only do so much. Marv, please get them out of this funk! Set them free! Let Dalton call the plays. Let the offense play to their potential. If you prepared them correctly, then trust in them and set them free when they are on the field.
Maybe Jermaine needs to take a seat for a couple of games? It is his job to catch the ball when it is thrown to him and then not fumble it after the catch. It is not his job to call plays or to critique the coaching staff.

It is also funny how some on these boards just feed of this crap as well. Not sure why but it seems as if several love to spend their time looking for any little snippet or sound byte that they can find that will shed negative light on this franchise.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Maybe Jermaine needs to take a seat for a couple of games? It is his job to catch the ball when it is thrown to him and then not fumble it after the catch. It is not his job to call plays or to critique the coaching staff.

It is also funny how some on these boards just feed of this crap as well. Not sure why but it seems as if several love to spend their time looking for any little snippet or sound byte that they can find that will shed negative light on this franchise.
I'm not really mad at Gresham for getting hyped up. Yeah, he has dropped balls, yes he has fumbled, but passion is there. We've seen Dalton get PO'd before. We're making Gresham yelling more than it should be. Glad to see some fire in these young players.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
It's just consistency with Gruden. I remember in the 2nd Browns game, the Bengals took ZERO deep shots until the 4th quarter. I think Gruden has potential, he just needs to be more consistent.

If he can get this offense playing on all cylinders, this team will be dangerous. That's why I like matching up against New England and Houston in the playoffs. Their defenses haven't been great lately (Houston allowing Ponder to beat them, Patriots letting Henne almost beat them). This defense is better than their statistics.

This defense has allowed 13 points or fewer seven times this season. The Bengals won all those games.

Yeah, i like our chances with the way our Defense is playing.

But i think we are going to have to score more than 13 points to beat the Pats.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Yeah, i like our chances with the way our Defense is playing.

But i think we are going to have to score more than 13 points to beat the Pats.
Very true. But another fact. The Bengals are 10-0 with Dalton when they score 25+ points.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9461

I thought this article was interesting because it is an external take on the value of coaches. Not saying we all have to take everything Rosenthal says as carved-in-stone truth, but it at least shows it's not just crazy, emotional Bengals fans who are complaining about Lewis:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-for-top-coach

Short version: he has Lewis ranked in his FOURTH group of coaches for the work they did in 2012 labelled "Did the Job" (this category comes after "Top Shelf", "Close to award-worthy" and "Praiseworthy" which collectively include 13 coaches) He writes of Lewis:

The Cincinnati Bengals have taken a modest step forward from a season ago, but Lewis still can drive you crazy with his challenges and game management.

Again, not that this settles the argument or anything, but those defending Lewis so passionately should be aware that there are people not emotionally involved with what happens to the Bengals who also think Lewis is a mediocre coach who has done OK-but-nothing-special this season.