Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 157
Default Destination New Orleans Mock Draft #1

Re-sign-Bruce Gradkowski, Peerman, Hawkins, Harris, Josh Brown, Huber, Andre Smith, Geathers, Gilberry, Michael Johnson, Pat Sims, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson, Rey Mauluga, Skuta, Adam Jones, Chris Crocker, Terence Newman

No major signings in free agency. Focus on signing our own and building through the draft, although they may bring in a couple guys at safety, corner, or linebacker

Draft:

1. Keenan Allen-The offense needs another legit threat across from AJ. Allen had no QB this year and still put up 700 yds and 6 td's. Finally get the legit receiver to give Andy the ultimate weapons.

2a. Gio Bernard-This running back is one of my favorites in all of football. He can explode between the tackles and can complement our starter BJGE very well. Finally a one two punch at running back that is highly respected.

2b. Robert Lester-I like this pick as a ballhawk safety. He has 12 picks in two seasons as a starter at Bama, and should be able to compete with Crocker for the starting job right off the bat. The first three picks bring top talent to the team in the BPAs.

3. William Gholston-Had a rough year in 2012 with only 3.5 sacks. He did record 50 tackles and 12 for loss. At 6'7 280, reminds me of MJ coming out of Georgia Tech. Put him in the rotation and he should return to dominance like in 2011.

4. Jonathan Brown-A rock solid OLB prospect from Illinois. I figure the Bengals will bring in Lawson and Howard on one year deals and let Brown compete with them for the job next year. 6'1 235 with a sub 4.5 40 and has all the production in the NCAA that you look for.

5. Marcus Lattimore-We can afford to make these picks for the future with a talented player. Probably won't pay off in 2013 but maybe in 2014, which could be huge. There's no reason not to base picks off of pure talent this late in the draft.

6. Tyrann Mathieu-Lots of character concerns. He is extremely talented. I put it this way, nobody has been worse off the field than Pacman and Vontaze. Therefore, we should take a shot at the Honey Badger in the 6th. He can be the type of nickel player or safety that can bring the ballhawking ability that you look for from the best.

QB-Dalton, Grad
RB-BJGE, Bernard, Peerman, Lattimore
FB-Pressley, Connor
WR-Green, Allen, Hawkins, Sanu, M Jones, Whalen
TE-Gresham, Charles
LT-Whit, Collins
LG-Boling, Wharton
C-Cook, Robinson
RG-Zeitler, Robinson
RT-Smith, Collins
DE-Dunlap, M Johnson, Gholston, Geathers, Gilberry
DT-Atkins, Peko, Still, Sims, Thompson
OLB-Howard, Jonathan Brown, Lawson, Lamur
MLB-Burfict, Mauluga, Skuta
CB-Hall, Kirkpatrick, A Jones, Newman, J Allen
FS-Nelson, Mathieu, Iloka
SS-Lester, Crocker, Mays
K-Josh Brown
P-Huber
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Destination New Orleans Mock Draft #1

Like Keenan Allen, but WR isn't our #1 priority.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4313

allen @ 31 or 32?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 451

Like it.

I do like the WR in the 1st round, our offense needs major help. Might not be a top priority, but if its not a reach then I'm on board
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178

Not a huge fan. Didn't effectively address the problem at LB, and nothing in FA. Lester isn't worth a 2nd round pick, as I don't think he's an upgrade over anyone we have right now.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182

Agree with focus on our own players during FA. That is a good strategy and it certainly is the MO of MB and ML.

I agree with critique that said it doesn't address LB. Pass on Lester and get Chase from Stanford or Greene from Rutgers instead.

From what I saw of Gholston he looks slow. He seems a lot slower then MJ did at GT. I would prefer Hunt from SMU if available. I wouldn't mind Gholston a round later then mocked here.

I say go for 1st rd WR. The major needs LB and S would be a reach at our spot in 1st round. Love the idea of equipping Dalton. Julio Jones was a great pick for Falcons. Would love to see Bengals do the same. Honestly, I am not entirely sold on K. Allen, but like the idea of 1st round use for WR. AJ, Gresham, and a 1st rd this yr.

Love the Tyron pick if available in 6th. Not sure on Lattimore and his recovery.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 524

I'm probably in the minority on this one but I like Gohlston alot. He needs to go to a team with an established defensive line and an excellent position coach and I think we have that here. The guy has a great motor and plays the run well but he lacks an array of pass rushing moves that he can revert to and create consistant havoc. He needs work using his length and hands to his advantage to keep offensive tackles out of his body. I've seen mostly a bull rush and an occasional spin move but thats about it. I'd love to draft him in the 4th if he doesn't go higher because he needs to year as a situational guy.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43979

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhodey77 View Post
Re-sign, Manny Lawson, Rey Mauluga, WHY

Draft:

1. Keenan Allen-The offense needs another legit threat across from AJ. Allen had no QB this year and still put up 700 yds and 6 td's. Finally get the legit receiver to give Andy the ultimate weapons. Musta not heard we signed Dane. WR is no longer a need

2a. Gio Bernard-This running back is one of my favorites in all of football. He can explode between the tackles and can complement our starter BJGE very well. Finally a one two punch at running back that is highly respected. If there, sure

2b. Robert Lester-I like this pick as a ballhawk safety. He has 12 picks in two seasons as a starter at Bama, and should be able to compete with Crocker for the starting job right off the bat. The first three picks bring top talent to the team in the BPAs. He could be among the worst early pick safety prospects around

3. William Gholston-Had a rough year in 2012 with only 3.5 sacks. He did record 50 tackles and 12 for loss. At 6'7 280, reminds me of MJ coming out of Georgia Tech. Put him in the rotation and he should return to dominance like in 2011. I think he is gonna do better than many think

5. Marcus Lattimore-We can afford to make these picks for the future with a talented player. Probably won't pay off in 2013 but maybe in 2014, which could be huge. There's no reason not to base picks off of pure talent this late in the draft. Don't think he'll last until the 5th unless they decide to amputate the leg

6. Tyrann Mathieu-Lots of character concerns. He is extremely talented. I put it this way, nobody has been worse off the field than Pacman and Vontaze. Therefore, we should take a shot at the Honey Badger in the 6th. He can be the type of nickel player or safety that can bring the ballhawking ability that you look for from the best. If there, sure
Responses in bold

OK, I'm joking about Dane.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

too many IF's in that mock.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

I like this mock a lot, and I've been getting one put together, and your first two picks match mine.

Allen and Bernard will really bolster our offense, which I think is a much bigger need than defense.

A receiving corp of Green, Allen, Sanu, Hawkins, and Jones would be much better than we have right now. Allen doesn't have to start, but eventually will, and with Sanu and Jones' development will make Daulton a better QB.

Bernard will give us that home-run threat, that he Law-Firm just doesn't give us. I like Gholston as well at DE, he would be a step up from Geathers and I'm betting that MJ doesn't go anywhere. With the other second round pick, I might consider the Amerson kid out of NC State I think. I think he is a CB that is a ball hawk, He'd give us the improvement in the secondary, our D needs to create more turnovers.

Final Mock 2012

1. Mark Barron - S
1. Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
2. Amini Silatolu - OG
3. Mohammed Sanu - WR
4. Ryan Steed - CB
5. Marcus Forston - DT
5. Tom Compton - OT
5. Ernest Owusu - DE
6. Michael Smith - RB