Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3353
Default Need ideas

Ok lets say hypothetically I have a girl im talking to and I really like her and she really likes me. The topic of smokers got brought up and she said if I smoked she wouldnt be with me anymore......So I said I didnt smoke.....So guess what I need to quit doing before I come home.lol

I dont come home for 7 months, so im wondering if anyone has any ideas. Iv tried quitting before and iv realized after about a week its not physical AT ALL. It all turns mental. So are there any activities to get into or any tricks that will lessen that mental urge to smoke i could use. I tried quitting 2 weeks ago before we even had this convo and i lasted a week.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Need ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Ok lets say hypothetically I have a girl im talking to and I really like her and she really likes me. The topic of smokers got brought up and she said if I smoked she wouldnt be with me anymore......So I said I didnt smoke.....So guess what I need to quit doing before I come home.lol

I dont come home for 7 months, so im wondering if anyone has any ideas. Iv tried quitting before and iv realized after about a week its not physical AT ALL. It all turns mental. So are there any activities to get into or any tricks that will lessen that mental urge to smoke i could use. I tried quitting 2 weeks ago before we even had this convo and i lasted a week.
Can't help you. I see a Therapist, and she's using hypno-therapy on me. Down to 10 smokes a day. 2 months ago, roughly 2 packs a day.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 61912

Quote:

Get home, nail her, then roll over and light up. Who cares if she leaves after that.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12668

I wore the patch and kept a bag of Airhead suckers in my truck and a pocketful of said suckers at all times. Beating the motion habit is hard as hell, especially when driving.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:

What are you dating a senior in high school? Listen up junior, if you let women tell you what you can and can't do, well, you're going to get f*****, and not so much in the sexual way. You don't see how silly that bold statement is? Obviously she doesn't really like you all that much if it boils down to smoking.

With that being said, quit smoking while you're a young lad now as it only gets harder to quit the older you are. It's all mental. If you REALLY want to quit, then you will not let temptation get to you. If you just want to quit to satisfy your love bird, well I don't see you stopping for another 6 months.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Get home, nail her, then roll over and light up. Who cares if she leaves after that.
Unless you think she's "the one", then this is probably your best course of action.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10776

Wether you stay with her or not, quitting smoking will be a win win for u. I've been trying to quit for a month now but don't have the will power. Especially when I drink.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26816
bengals Re: Need ideas

Poor smokers.

My parents smoked for 30 years and they got this stuff called "Smoke Away" and quit soon after.

I recommend it to every smoker i see now cause i can't stand those coffin nails. Nasty.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29838

A coworker of mine uses the electronic cigarettes and has not had a real one in over 6 months. Give it a try and wean yourself off the nicotine that way.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12668

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Wether you stay with her or not, quitting smoking will be a win win for u. I've been trying to quit for a month now but don't have the will power. Especially when I drink.
Oh man - drinking while trying to quit was the worse. I found the best thing with that is to stay off the hooch until your confident you can do it without smoking, then not drink again until you're on the patch. Smoking while on the patch has a - and I'm putting this gently - violent ending.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49636

The main drawback here is you guys will go out for a month, split up and you'll be smoking again to spite her.

I smoked for 20ish years. Started when I was 13, quit when my daughter was born four years ago. You can't quit until you're ready, whether it's at 20, 30 or 80.

That said, the nicotine lozenges worked for me.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8957

Quote:

use all your money on hookers so you can't buy smokes
4th Corey Grant RB
5th Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE
6th Isaiah Johnson S
7th Junior Sylvestre LB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 2354

need to increase your dophimine..Eat organic eggs, apples, almonds, and bananas..
That it how I quit anytime a desire or craving came I went to the bananas which increase your seritonin making you not want to smoke..I never have had depression but nicotine messes with your happy hormones therefore making it hard to quit..So eat foods that make your more happy!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34068

Quote:

Suckers.....

Like tootsie pops or something. Or a hollow pen with some tissue paper stuck in it (something you can draw on....)

Or electric cigerrete.

Option B... find a woman that accepts you for who you are faults and all. (if smoking is considered a fault....) One thing i know is i had a buddy that stop smoking for his then wife and once she realized she got him to stop smoking she started trying to change everything else she didnt like too.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21283

I have tried to quit several times. Last one I lasted 6 weeks (using the patch). Yet the end story is the same. I drank, then my will power and common sense went out the window, then I smoked. end of story. I thought after 6 weeks of not drinking and smoking, I could drink and not have the urge for a smoke. The 2 just go together.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8822

I joined the Army and Basic helped me quit. Only problem is after Basic and AIT, I started back up again.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1384

Quote:

Best thing that helps me is that I tell myself a final, definitive "No". And that's it. I will not think about doing something again. It works with girls, stupid ideas buddies of mine come up with - my own included, putting a halt to eating junk food, all sorts of bad habits or decisions that creep into the mind.

- Almost bought a very expensive watch... looked at one for quite a while. I love watches (only jewelry I would ever wear, don't even wear a wedding ring) and have a fairly extensive collection (Omegas, a Panerai, etc.) so this was a tough one. I finally said to myself "Self, NO. Too many watches already.". That was it. Decision made and the want is gone.

- This also helped me with acceptance when my father suddenly passed away when I was 27. I accepted that he was gone, I set a time limit for feeling sorry about it and crying (the length of a hot shower). This allowed for me to move on and celebrate his life!

- A long time off and on girlfriend that had to go who I had given a lot of time and love to (and ended up becoming an internet meme recently, BTW). This was the TOUGHEST one BTW because there are constant reminders.

- An old classic car I REALLY wanted to buy - before finishing the one I started.

- Changing back into a healthy lifestyle and quitting fast food and adopting a healthy diet and exercise.

Point is... MAKE A DECISION. KNOW THAT IT IS THE RIGHT DECISION. That IS the decision. It is done. From that point moving forward anything you come across contrary to the decision does not exist in your world (cigarettes for example).

Last edited by 68Firebird; 12-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.