Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 60
Default My Week 17 Mock

Round 1: Sam Montgomery DE LSU
- This isn't saying that MJ will leave via FA but this pick says that I don't think we will retain Geathers. Montgomery gets the nod over Jordan, Ansah, or Okafor because of his play against the run.

Round 2: Justin Hunter WR Tenn or Cordrelle Patterson WR Tenn
- Either one of these wideouts would be a good fit with my preference towards Hunter. Even though Hawkins is a great player I dont think he can become an every down player nor do I think he can play on the outside. He's more of a gadget player. I think Sanu fits best in the slot so that means we need a another WR on the outside. Hunter is the better wideout while Patterson fills more of that WR2/KR/PR role and can make Tate expendable.

Round 2: Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
- If he comes out then I think this will be a solid pick. The guy makes plays and is all over the field. Has been the leader of his defense for the past 3 years and is the "mentor" of projected 1st round pick Ziggy Ansah.

Round 3: Bacarri Rambo S Georgia
- Good safety prospect that can play well against the run and can play center field. Makes his presence all over the field.

Round 4: Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
- Change of pace back that may develop into a returner. Very good college career and can be a big play threat on the next level.

Round 5: Margus Hunt DE SMU
- One word describes him.... RAW. A height weight specimen that could develop into a solid player. Underperform this year but played very well at the Hawaiian Bowl.

Round 6: Marquess Wilson WR Wassu
- Solid WR that was on pace for another 1000 yard season at WSU, a chain mover.

Round 6: Sharmako Thomas S Syracuse
- Can come in right away and be a special teams ace. Short compact player with a lots of speed who can develop into a good all round player.

UDFA- Reid Fragel OT OSU
- Pretty good blocking TE that moved to OT this year and played well. A good natural athlete that can replace Roland as an extra TE in jumbo sets. With time he can develop into a solid tackle a la Eric Winston.

If Van Noy does't declare then replace that pick with Arthur Brown from KSU. The only picks that I had difficulty with was the two 6th rd picks. I just went BPA on that case.

Also I bold prediction I have for the draft is that Jarvis Jones will drop in the draft. I think the game against 'Bama showed his flaws plus his medical issues (spinal stenosis) will cause him to fall into the draft. From top three pick to a late 1st round draft pick (my guess, between 20-25).

Lemme know what you think, what you like and dont like.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022
Default Re: My Week 17 Mock

The only way I think we might draft a DE in 1 is if we lose MJ. And even so, I'm not convinced. I would like it, I'm just not convinced it happens.

Hunt is raw, but he's also very athletic. I know he's rated around 4 or 5 now, but I think he will climb at the combine.

Not sure we draft 2 WRs.

Fragel will also climb at the combine and I really think he will get drafted. Once they see his athleticism they will go back and watch film on him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went in the 3rd round.

Overall I like it.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182

Like the DE pick. Only one I like is Ansah more, but Montgomery is certainly more polished.

Love to get a solid #2 across from AJ. Not sure TN can supply one though.

Like the positions drafted and their order. Van from BYU looks like a beast. Love 3, 4 and 5. 3 looks like a solid Safety and why not Georgia? Seems like the only place we draft from. 4 has home run speed. Hunt, amazing size and athleticism...world record holder? Beast.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
The only way I think we might draft a DE in 1 is if we lose MJ. And even so, I'm not convinced. I would like it, I'm just not convinced it happens.

Hunt is raw, but he's also very athletic. I know he's rated around 4 or 5 now, but I think he will climb at the combine.

Not sure we draft 2 WRs.

Fragel will also climb at the combine and I really think he will get drafted. Once they see his athleticism they will go back and watch film on him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went in the 3rd round.

Overall I like it.
For Montgomery I agree thats its more of a luxury pick if MJ stays but I dunno who else to put there. I was thinking putting Chance Warmack from 'Bama but I think we will be gone by 20.

I wasn't sure about putting Wilson there but I couldn't come up with any other 6th rd prospects off the top of my head.

I know Fragel might be a a riser come combine time but I think its a lil steep for him to be a third prospect after the combine when hes projected as a 7th rd prospect now.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344
bengals Re: My Week 17 Mock

If we can bring in cordarelle and have him also replace tate and make him expendable then i think there is no question...you def do it. tate is GOD awful, and im pretty sure he fumbles or does something bone headed every week. Patterson please, and sorry everyone talks about these change of pace backs...i dont want one, and im having a hard time finding one in our division, barner would get rocked in out division, no thank you on that...Love Montgomery tho!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6650

I would be absolutely shocked if Montgomery is around in the 20s. Pass rushers like him don't slide in the draft.

I would rather see the first rounder used on a position of need, not on a luxury.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I would be absolutely shocked if Montgomery is around in the 20s. Pass rushers like him don't slide in the draft.

I would rather see the first rounder used on a position of need, not on a luxury.
Define "need". Strong Safety, RB, LB?

First round seems to early to draft a Safety. Plus, there will be plenty of options in the 2nd round.

First round seems to early to draft a RB. 2nd or 3rd round seems more logical.

If Howard can be anywhere close to back, then I don't even think that the LB corp "needs" a player. We need better backup players, definitely.
WILL: Howard/Lemur
MIKE: Maualuga/Skuta
SAM: Burfict/Moch or Joiner or Schaffer

Oline is good. Center could be improved, but again, there aren't any first round prospects that would warrant a pick. Perhaps, Barrett Jones. Maybe.

WR2? Perhaps. But Jones looked pretty good on Sunday.

WR1: Green/Jones
WR2: TBD/Whalen
Slot: Sanu/Hawkins

CB1: Hall/Newman?
Slot: Pacman/Allen
CB2: Dre Kirk/Prater or Ghee.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamatCR View Post
Round 1: Sam Montgomery DE LSU
- This isn't saying that MJ will leave via FA but this pick says that I don't think we will retain Geathers. Montgomery gets the nod over Jordan, Ansah, or Okafor because of his play against the run.

Round 2: Justin Hunter WR Tenn or Cordrelle Patterson WR Tenn
- Either one of these wideouts would be a good fit with my preference towards Hunter. Even though Hawkins is a great player I dont think he can become an every down player nor do I think he can play on the outside. He's more of a gadget player. I think Sanu fits best in the slot so that means we need a another WR on the outside. Hunter is the better wideout while Patterson fills more of that WR2/KR/PR role and can make Tate expendable.

Round 2: Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
- If he comes out then I think this will be a solid pick. The guy makes plays and is all over the field. Has been the leader of his defense for the past 3 years and is the "mentor" of projected 1st round pick Ziggy Ansah.

Round 3: Bacarri Rambo S Georgia
- Good safety prospect that can play well against the run and can play center field. Makes his presence all over the field.

Round 4: Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
- Change of pace back that may develop into a returner. Very good college career and can be a big play threat on the next level.

Round 5: Margus Hunt DE SMU
- One word describes him.... RAW. A height weight specimen that could develop into a solid player. Underperform this year but played very well at the Hawaiian Bowl.

Round 6: Marquess Wilson WR Wassu
- Solid WR that was on pace for another 1000 yard season at WSU, a chain mover.

Round 6: Sharmako Thomas S Syracuse
- Can come in right away and be a special teams ace. Short compact player with a lots of speed who can develop into a good all round player.

UDFA- Reid Fragel OT OSU
- Pretty good blocking TE that moved to OT this year and played well. A good natural athlete that can replace Roland as an extra TE in jumbo sets. With time he can develop into a solid tackle a la Eric Winston.

If Van Noy does't declare then replace that pick with Arthur Brown from KSU. The only picks that I had difficulty with was the two 6th rd picks. I just went BPA on that case.

Also I bold prediction I have for the draft is that Jarvis Jones will drop in the draft. I think the game against 'Bama showed his flaws plus his medical issues (spinal stenosis) will cause him to fall into the draft. From top three pick to a late 1st round draft pick (my guess, between 20-25).

Lemme know what you think, what you like and dont like.

Montgomery has speed but im not a huge fan.

Justin Hunter kind of reminds me of Chris Henry, but i like Patterson over any other WR besides Keenan Allen....I have faith in Sanu being the starting #2.

Not a fan of Rambo

Marques Wilson struggles to hold onto the ball at times.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Define "need". Strong Safety, RB, LB?

First round seems to early to draft a Safety. Plus, there will be plenty of options in the 2nd round.

First round seems to early to draft a RB. 2nd or 3rd round seems more logical.

If Howard can be anywhere close to back, then I don't even think that the LB corp "needs" a player. We need better backup players, definitely.
WILL: Howard/Lemur
MIKE: Maualuga/Skuta
SAM: Burfict/Moch or Joiner or Schaffer

Oline is good. Center could be improved, but again, there aren't any first round prospects that would warrant a pick. Perhaps, Barrett Jones. Maybe.

WR2? Perhaps. But Jones looked pretty good on Sunday.

WR1: Green/Jones
WR2: TBD/Whalen
Slot: Sanu/Hawkins

CB1: Hall/Newman?
Slot: Pacman/Allen
CB2: Dre Kirk/Prater or Ghee.
I would say that having 2 young DEs that have posted 9+ sack seasons recently makes DE not a need.

Safety has been a need on this team for the past 10 years and it never gets addressed.

LB is a need.

Running back and WR are needs. Just because Marvin Jones has looked good in a game or two doesn't mean you can hang your hat on him. Jerome Simpson looked great in 1-2 games per year.

When you draft in the 20s, safety wouldn't be a reach if it meant getting the best one in the draft.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 PM
VIP Member

Montgomery wouldn't necessarily be a pure luxury pick.... My thought process was that if we are going to lose Geathers then we need a DE to replace him. Montgomery is the best all round DE available after Werner and Moore who can be a pass rusher and stop the run. Unlike Ansah, Okafor,or Jones who are pure rushers with poor run stuffing ability.