Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15749
Default Need Some Exercise/Nutritional Advice

I guess let me start by saying that I'm starting to make an effort to get back into reasonably good shape. It's been years since I've lifted, but I was trying to shoot some baskets 3 or 4 times a week in the warmer months, along with a good 3 mile or so walk afterwards. (Not all that much exercise)

But now I justfinally joined a gym again and plan on playing a lot more basketball (year round) and using the track. I'm going to get back into lifting a bit too. I'm not trying to get huge or anything, just wanted to be good shape. I could probably stand to lose about 20 pounds and definitely need to get some strength and stamina back.

So here's kinda where my question starts... I just got a gift card to Di c k's for Xmas. I really have little need for pretty much a lot of what they carry. What I would like from there the gift card far from covers. So do you guys think it's worth for me to invest in some protein stuff and/or creatine? I used to use both back when I was in school but I really don't know if I really need them now or not for what I'm doing.

Put it this way: I'm not looking to bench a **** ton of weight as my main goal (Like it use to be) but I do what to get the most out of my workouts. I figure if I'm putting in the time then I want the best results I can get for that effort.

So are they worth it? Should I skip the protein suppliments and use my diet alone? Is creatine a waste for a guy in his 30's who's not looking to gain weight and a lot of mass?

Also, I know there's probably cheaper places and cheaper brands that are just as effective as what Di c k's offers but I'm struggling to find a good use for this gift card.

Any other advice and/or encouragement is much appreciated. I may add in some other questions too. (Diet, time of day to work out, when to eat in relation to work out, etc.)

Last edited by Toast Jones; 12-28-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24632
Default Re: Need Some Exercise/Nutritional Advice

well first, I would try shooting clay pigeons or something. I can't imagine baskets as that challenging.

Always skip the protein supplements if you aren't trying to get big. Generally useless. Most of it is genetics anyways.

You can get the protein you need through normal diet changes if you want to just get stronger in a healthier sense. (not for athletics).

Rugby always seems to know his stuff on this issue.

I would put the gift card towards something fun from Dic.ks that will keep you active.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3762

BengalRugby is the resident expert on all things lifting and nutrition around here. He'll be along shortly to help you in depth. I've also been making a few lifestyle choice in the same liking as your own (nothing drastic) and here is what I've found:

Invest in good shoes. I'm getting into running/walking/jogging, and I'm sure this one carries over to basketball.

Drink a lot of water. I've effectively cut out all liquids that are not water or beer. And beer is exclusive to football watching and proportional to Bengals' victories.

Eat less more often. Something that has really helped me curb my calorie intake. I'm a muncher, so if I have a big bag of Doritos (or whatever to be honest) and I'm hungry, I will blow through them without even realizing it. Having small meals and snacks more often (usually something small every 2/2.5 hours) has really helped me out.

Regulate sleep. Kind of a no-brainer. I just feel better.

Anyways, these are four really small (however obvious) things I've been doing, but I've seen some good results, hopefully you can too.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 77856

Skip the supplements. Healthy diet is all you need. If you want to lose those twenty pounds quick, go on a juice diet (vegetables and fruits) for two weeks. You'll lose the weight, have all of the nutrients and energy you need, and won't feel hungry.

As for exercise, basketball can be great exercise depending upon how hard you play. Only you can answer to how hard you workout at it. A 3 mile walk is excellent exercise as well. If you really wanna help your health, you wanna do some sort of aerobic exercise that kicks your heartbeat up for at least twenty minutes or more everyday. There are charts you can find that can tell you what a good workout heart rate is for your specific age, height and weight, etc. If you get your heart and lungs in good shape, you'll find that other exercises such as weight lifting are easier and you get more out of the work.

CKWI88 and berserkone88s' advise are also very good. Rugby knows his **** as well. Good luck.

Last edited by Bengalzona; 12-28-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

You don't need protein supplements and you really don't need creatine at all. You can get enough protein in your diet ( like someone else stated ) alone. Foods such as Tuna, Chicken, Egg whites, Peanut butter sandwichs, lean beef, and turkey burgers are extremely good in protein.Like others suggested, eat smaller meals frequently throughout the day.

Getting enough sleep every night is a must. I'd say 7-8 hrs would be fine for what you're looking to do.

3 mile walk would be good for cardio training, but if you want to burn fat, I'd recommend a program similar to HIIT (high intensity interval training) This is where you walk / jog for say a couple minutes and then switch gears and run / sprint for 45 seconds and repeat. You'll gradually work yourself into shape where you can do this longer each time.

As far as lifting, since you're not trying to be the next Arnold, just do the basics a couple times a week. Pullups / chin ups are phenomenal. I'd do an ab workout as well to help with that body fat in the stomach area.

Consistency, sleep and diet are all KEY.

Enjoy.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22447

Playing basketball is a great way to stay in shape. Burns calories, you lose track of time, and is fun. I had a habit or rolling my ankles when I played, so I gave it up a while back. So it sounds like you're on the right track.

While you can certainly get enough protein via normal food, I like protein supplements for their convenience immediately following a workout and for the sense of ritual they provide. Rituals help you keep a pattern and maintain your routine. Plus they are nice for providing a snack when your other options may be worse food choices, like fast food meals or other junk foods. If you invest in one, find a good amino acid profile, basically having a lot of glutamine, as that gives the best bang for the buck recovery-wise. That said, I would hold off on the glutamine until you really think you need it, as relatively high levels of supplementation can cost a bit and my not be needed to reach your goals.

Your focus, supplement-wise, should be on recovery. I would start off cheap before getting too into it, like a good chewable multivitamin, a good antioxidant blend, fish oil, zinc, iron, and magnesium. Might seem like a lot, but odds are you already have a reasonable about of that in the cupboard. Take the first 3 in the morning with breakfast, and the last 3 at night before bedtime, about an hour before sleep. You can add GABA and melatonin to the night time mix if you want, as they help with sleep and recovery, and are relatively inexpensive.

This is kinda the opposite of my beliefs for a decent portion of my exercise career, where I always focused on the "amping up" for a work out, taking all sorts of thermogenics, energy pills, etc... Having a ton of energy is good, but if you're not giving your body the same attention for maximal recovery, then it is effort wasted.

Creatine never did much for me, so I always advise against it. Plus it would be something you would have to keep taking, if it worked for you, to maintain the benefit. But again, if it is cheap, and the ritual keeps you going to the gym, then I can understand buying it.

As for a routine, I recommend something with minimal rest between sets and mini circuits of exercise. 3-4 exercises in a group, 30-45 seconds of rest between exercises, 8-12 reps per set, and only go to failure on the last set or you'll gas out way early. Use free weights over machines, and focus on bigger exercises that hit many muscle groups, like bench, deadlift, cleans, squats, chins, etc... with a minimum of one per exercise group, but trying not to double up targeting the same muscles in the group.

I can write something up more complete, but I need to get out and get some wood cut this morning. Good luck, and feel free to ask whatever questions you like.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Playing basketball is a great way to stay in shape. Burns calories, you lose track of time, and is fun. I had a habit or rolling my ankles when I played, so I gave it up a while back. So it sounds like you're on the right track.

While you can certainly get enough protein via normal food, I like protein supplements for their convenience immediately following a workout and for the sense of ritual they provide. Rituals help you keep a pattern and maintain your routine. Plus they are nice for providing a snack when your other options may be worse food choices, like fast food meals or other junk foods. If you invest in one, find a good amino acid profile, basically having a lot of glutamine, as that gives the best bang for the buck recovery-wise. That said, I would hold off on the glutamine until you really think you need it, as relatively high levels of supplementation can cost a bit and my not be needed to reach your goals.

Your focus, supplement-wise, should be on recovery. I would start off cheap before getting too into it, like a good chewable multivitamin, a good antioxidant blend, fish oil, zinc, iron, and magnesium. Might seem like a lot, but odds are you already have a reasonable about of that in the cupboard. Take the first 3 in the morning with breakfast, and the last 3 at night before bedtime, about an hour before sleep. You can add GABA and melatonin to the night time mix if you want, as they help with sleep and recovery, and are relatively inexpensive.

This is kinda the opposite of my beliefs for a decent portion of my exercise career, where I always focused on the "amping up" for a work out, taking all sorts of thermogenics, energy pills, etc... Having a ton of energy is good, but if you're not giving your body the same attention for maximal recovery, then it is effort wasted.

Creatine never did much for me, so I always advise against it. Plus it would be something you would have to keep taking, if it worked for you, to maintain the benefit. But again, if it is cheap, and the ritual keeps you going to the gym, then I can understand buying it.

As for a routine, I recommend something with minimal rest between sets and mini circuits of exercise. 3-4 exercises in a group, 30-45 seconds of rest between exercises, 8-12 reps per set, and only go to failure on the last set or you'll gas out way early. Use free weights over machines, and focus on bigger exercises that hit many muscle groups, like bench, deadlift, cleans, squats, chins, etc... with a minimum of one per exercise group, but trying not to double up targeting the same muscles in the group.

I can write something up more complete, but I need to get out and get some wood cut this morning. Good luck, and feel free to ask whatever questions you like.
Good info here! Looking to lose a few pounds, thanks for the excellent post.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1356

Before I give you my advice, I would like to tell you that it's coming from a place of experience such as yours - and redemption.

- I am 32. (skip to the next bold if you want to skip my back ground BEFORE I got super fat).

- Grew up an athlete and excelled at soccer, tennis, basketball. Even did well with Olympic Development Soccer (made the state and regional teams - but the travel was too much for the regional stuff).

- Played semi-professional soccer straight out of high school (this was before Major League soccer had a minor league system). Knee injury put a stop to my competitive playing days @ 19.

- 2004 I used to run and lift twice a day. At my most fit I was 195 lbs @ 5'9" and could fill a leg press machine with 45s, have two of my buddies stand on the bar and do reps all day.

- SUPER health conscious. Went all of 2002 without ANY FAST FOOD to win a bet. Have NEVER smoked or drank or done drugs of any kind. I even hate to take Advil and prefer to let my body work things out - unless I'm really dying.

- Point is... I had built a very strong and fit body over the course of my life.

FAST FORWARD To 2011:

5'9".... 255 lbs.

- Started a business in 2006 (VERY STRESSFUL). It took up all of my waking hours. No more lifting, running, or rec soccer.

- I was out on the road all the time.... Hello Wendy's! Would eat a Cheese Burger Deluxe, Large Fry, and Large Coke for my 10 am breakfast. Lunch was (no BS here) a double order of that. Holy STRESS, Batman. Dinner was rinse and repeat.

- Doctor, when I finally went to see one, told me I was lucky I wasn't over 300 lbs. with what and how much I ate.

- Bottom line is that I had packed up my fitness tent and not just headed home, but burned it all on the way there.

THERE IS HOPE. CHANGE, are you ready for this? .... EVERYTHING. Go all in on it, diet and all, and don't look back.

There is a guy on youtube who is awesome. He is kind of fun to watch and absolutely knows his stuff. His videos explain so much good diet and exercise advice it will keep you busy for months. Good, practical knowledge about EVERYTHING Fitness delivered in a not so boring way. Best part... It's FREE. I even love the name of his program: Fat@$$ to bad@$$. FOLLOW HIS DIET ADVICE AND WORKOUT PROGRAM TO THE LETTER.

Here is his Youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf

I would absolutely recommend watching this video 1st just to get a feel for the guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWKHvGZsOs

This guy has helped me get 50 lbs off in less than a year. In fact, the first week alone I lost 10 lbs with 3 lifting sessions and an immediate change of diet. I feel like I will soon be in as good a shape in my 30s as I was in my 20s, all thanks to his program.

As for the supplement question:

No need for supplements like that at all for just starting out and your stated goals, IMO.

Low fat or fat free Chocolate Milk within 30 minutes of every work out. Eat Whitefish for your dose of creatine.

Here are some links about chocolate milk vs. shakes/protein for post workout recovery:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-recovery.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html

Hope some of this helps someone/anyone looking to make a change!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51954

Lifting weights can be aerobic exercise if you do it right. It elevates your heart rate just like running.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Lifting weights can be aerobic exercise if you do it right. It elevates your heart rate just like running.
I definitely prefer lifting weights to anything cardio. I'm 5'10 160lbs, and in pretty good shape, and I don't do cardio at all.

My advice to OP is to avoid the pointless supplements, and get a gym buddy. There's times where I don't want to go to the gym, but my gym buddy makes me go. It's good to have someone to spot you as well. Diet is going to be 80% of the results you see, so stick to that and you'll see changes.

I take two scoops of protein a day (48g) just to add a little bit more to my diet, and a multi-vitamin because I have low iron, but supplements aren't necessary in my opinion. Switch out all the soda's and juices with water, and it makes a world of difference.

Good luck to everyone in 2013!

Last edited by ibengals; 12-28-2012 at 12:00 PM.