Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178
Default New Draft/FA

Re-Sign:

T Andre Smith, DE Michael Johnson, QB Bruce Gradkowski, RB Cedric Peerman, WR Andrew Hawkins, LS Clark Harris, P Kevin Huber, K Josh Brown, DE Wallace Gilberry, LB Thomas Howard, LB Rey Maualuga, LB Vinny Rey, LB Dan Skuta, CB Adam Jones, CB Terence Newman

Extend:

DT Geno Atkins

Free Agency:

RB Felix Jones, WR Ted Ginn Jr., G Chilo Rachel

Cuts:

G Travelle Wharton (-$3.7M cap hit), CB Jason Allen (-$4.1M cap hit)

Draft:

1. WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee - 6'4 205lbs

Not our top need, but BPA in an area of the draft that isn't particularly strong. A top-10 talent that might slide a bit due to the injury. Along with a potentially strong WR class in FA, and the teams picking before us, it is completely possible he's still on the board here. A deadly target across from AJG.

2. S Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma - 5'11 212lbs

As a Sooners fan, I've seen quite a bit of Jefferson. I still think he needs to learn how to wrap up (like most college DBs), but my favorite S prospect. Insanely quick at reading plays, and moves like a cornerback. An immediate starter with unlimited potential in my opinion. Only 20 years old.

2. DE Margus Hunt, SMU - 6'8 280lbs

Margus Hunt is a freak. I'm not exactly sure where he's projected right now, but he absolutely wrecked Fresno States offensive line in the Hawaii Bowl. In the first half alone, he had 3 TFL, 2.0 sacks, 2 FFs, and a safety. Not a great array of pass rush moves, so teams might pass him over, but assuming we re-sign MJ, he'll have time to grow into a good DE. Has 17 blocked kicks in his college career as well.

3. OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M - 6'2 230lbs

Still think he's one of the best OLBs in this draft. Quality pass rusher, and also moves well in space. Should be an immediate upgrade in the passing game, and adds the ability to get to the quarterback. In my opinion, he should be groomed behind Thomas Howard next season, and start by seasons end.

4. RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon - 5'11 190lbs

You see it every year. A guy who shines in college, but slides in the draft. Barner doesn't fit the mold of an ideal back, and benefitted quite a bit from playing at Oregon, but he has the speed and ability to make a big impact at the next level.

5. TE Michael Williams, Alabama - 6'6 270lbs

A mammoth of a tight end that should improve our problems with blocking at the TE position. Gruden loves using TEs, and Williams should provide a different level of blocking than our other TEs can't.

6. CB/OL/QB
6. CB/OL/QB

Depth Chart:

QB: *Dalton, Gradkowski
HB: *Green-Ellis, Jones, Peerman, Barner, Pressley
TE: *Gresham, Charles, Williams
WR: *Green, *Hunter, *Sanu, Hawkins, Jones, Ginn
OT: *Whitworth, *Smith, Collins
C/G: *Boling, *Zeitler, *Robinson, Cook, Rachel

DE: *Dunlap, *Johnson, Gilberry, Hunt, Moch
DT: *Atkins, *Peko, Thompson, Still
LB: *Burfict, *Howard, *Maualuga, Porter, Skuta, Rey, Lamur
CB: *Hall, *Newman, Jones, Ghee, Kirkpatrick,
S: *Nelson, *Jefferson, Mays, Miles

ST: Huber, Brown, Harris

* = starter

Last edited by ibengals; 12-28-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519
Default Re: New Draft/FA

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat...velle-wharton/
Travelle Wharton had a $3.175 million signing bonus that is spread out over the 3 year contract.

If the Bengals cut Wharton next year, then there would be "dead cost" of $2.1 million against the cap.

If the Bengals keep Wharton in 2013, then Wharton's salary cap impact is $3.733 million.

The salary cap savings if Wharton is cut in 2013 would be $1.633 million; it is not $3.75 million.

In addition, this "savings" will further be depleted by signing Chilo Rachel in free agency. So, in essence, the Bengals woulld not be saving any money by cutting Wharton & signing Chilo Rachel.

To me, Wharon's depth, NFL experience, and knowledge of the Bengals playbook is worthwhile.

LT: Whit/Collins
LG: Boling/Wharton
C: Cook/Robinson
RG: Zeitler
RT: Smith/TBD

Conversely, Jason Allen's signing bonus was $800k pro-rated over a 2 year contract. If Allen was cut, there would only be $400k in "dead cost." I could easily see Allen cut, especially if the Bengals are able to extend Pacman and/or Newman.

Last edited by mulligan; 12-28-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13

I like it but I think Jefferson is a reach, Id rather have Vaccaro with 1st and hunter with 2nd
Love the Margus Hunt pick
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Re-Sign:

T Andre Smith, DE Michael Johnson, QB Bruce Gradkowski, RB Cedric Peerman, WR Andrew Hawkins, LS Clark Harris, P Kevin Huber, K Josh Brown, DE Wallace Gilberry, LB Thomas Howard, LB Rey Maualuga, LB Vinny Rey, LB Dan Skuta, CB Adam Jones, CB Terence Newman

Extend:

DT Geno Atkins

Free Agency:

Cuts:

Draft:

Not our top need, but BPA in an area of the draft that isn't particularly strong. A top-10 talent that might slide a bit due to the injury. Along with a potentially strong WR class in FA, and the teams picking before us, it is completely possible he's still on the board here. A deadly target across from AJG.

As a Sooners fan, I've seen quite a bit of Jefferson. I still think he needs to learn how to wrap up (like most college DBs), but my favorite S prospect. Insanely quick at reading plays, and moves like a cornerback. An immediate starter with unlimited potential in my opinion. Only 20 years old.

Margus Hunt is a freak. I'm not exactly sure where he's projected right now, but he absolutely wrecked Fresno States offensive line in the Hawaii Bowl. In the first half alone, he had 3 TFL, 2.0 sacks, 2 FFs, and a safety. Not a great array of pass rush moves, so teams might pass him over, but assuming we re-sign MJ, he'll have time to grow into a good DE. Has 17 blocked kicks in his college career as well.

Still think he's one of the best OLBs in this draft. Quality pass rusher, and also moves well in space. Should be an immediate upgrade in the passing game, and adds the ability to get to the quarterback. In my opinion, he should be groomed behind Thomas Howard next season, and start by seasons end.

You see it every year. A guy who shines in college, but slides in the draft. Barner doesn't fit the mold of an ideal back, and benefitted quite a bit from playing at Oregon, but he has the speed and ability to make a big impact at the next level.

A mammoth of a tight end that should improve our problems with blocking at the TE position. Gruden loves using TEs, and Williams should provide a different level of blocking than our other TEs can't.

6. CB/OL/QB
6. CB/OL/QB

Depth Chart:

* = starter
I love Justin Hunter to compliment AJ. He is a freakish athlete. I'm not sure how much his injury has slowed him but he had blazing speed and could out jump pretty much anyone. I think could be a Torey Smith type player for Cincy and exploit one on one match ups that doubling AJ would cause. It also would open up possibilities for Gresh too. I will be looking forward ton his combine results, he could have a big day and jump back into the top 10-15 range.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Re-Sign:

Extend:

DT Geno Atkins

Free Agency:

Cuts:

Draft:

6. CB/OL/QB
6. CB/OL/QB

Depth Chart:

* = starter
First 3 picks seems to be reaches, Hunter is rated as the 6th best WR in some places so I guess it depends on which guys teams like but Id wait until 2a atleast before I grabbed a WR. Jefferson seems like a good pick but I see him rated 2-3 so a top 5 pick in round 2 where 1st round guys will likely have fallen might not be ideal. Margus Hunt I could see flying up the boards after a good bowl game he already went from 4-5 to 3-4 so with a good combine he may be a 2nd round pick but as of now im not so sure.

Also please no on Rachel, I wanted him last year but admittedly I was wrong on him, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sonal-reasons/ , We dont need that kind of guy on this team.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6793

Not a fan of the players, but I would be in favor of drafting a WR with one of our first 2 picks.

I would love to see Robert Woods in Cincy. He may have had a down year this year, but he was dominant his first 2.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 345
bengals Re: New Draft/FA

stop it.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
stop it.