Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM
cin_city4L's Avatar
cin_city4L cin_city4L is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 129
Rep Points: 83
Default Blitzkrieg Offense

Was watching a video about head coaching jobs in the league on NFL.com and Charlie Casserly mentioned Jay Gruden as a possible HC candidate somewhere in the league. I know that this seems highly unlikely but in the event that this should happen (Gruden taking a HC job), who would you like to have in place of him?

I, for one, would love to see Chip Kelly come in and bring that 'blitzkrieg' type offense he runs at Oregon. A lightning, quick-strike offense where the 'no huddle' is used on almost every down and ***** the life and energy out of the opposing defense. I know we don't necessarily have a very athletic and mobile quarterback in Dalton but the man uses his feet sometimes and seems to have decent speed when he takes off to run. Peerman would do well in this system being as he has the perfect balance of speed and power along with good hands. Of course, draft another running back like Andre Ellington from Clemson, Kenjon Barner out of Oregon, or Knile Davis/Marcus Lattimore to add to our backfield.

This was quickly thrown together so I'm sorry but what is everyone thinking?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 46,855
Rep Points: 50855
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Chip Kelly is one of the best college coaches in the country, but I am not sure if his scheme would translate well to the NFL. NFL defenses are much more athletic and better conditioned than college units (See: Kelly versus SEC defenses)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Who Dey Time Who Dey Time is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,740
Rep Points: 2785
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Why would Chip Kelly go from a high level D-I head coach to an NFL offensive coordinator?????

Hell, Kelly has been linked to a couple head coaching jobs in the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM
HereThereMayBeTigers's Avatar
HereThereMayBeTigers HereThereMayBeTigers is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 241
Rep Points: 359
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

I'd hate to see him go, but if so, I'd prefer a replacement whose offense was as similar as possible to what we have now. Stout running game and high % quick passes which make it easier to go over the top when called for...emphasis on QB's touch as opposed to arm strength...stellar blocking and selling of routes by all recievers, resulting in lots of YAC.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:39 PM
cin_city4L's Avatar
cin_city4L cin_city4L is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 129
Rep Points: 83
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

I'm almost certain Norv Turner will be looking for a job along the lines of OC rather than HC so what about him also fellas?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Who Dey Time Who Dey Time is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,740
Rep Points: 2785
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin_city4L View Post
I'm almost certain Norv Turner will be looking for a job along the lines of OC rather than HC so what about him also fellas?
Not that I think that Gruden is going anywhere but Turner has always been a very good OC. Head coach, not so much.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 46,855
Rep Points: 50855
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

If Gruden leaves Hue Jackson will be our new OC.

And I would be fine with that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 46,855
Rep Points: 50855
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Speaking of college coaches Bobby petrino is an offensive guru, but he will never get another big time college head coaching job. Maybe he will jump at an NFL offensive coordinator position.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Steeler Eater's Avatar
Steeler Eater Steeler Eater is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I got this
Posts: 12,450
Rep Points: 18096
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Whoever scores the most points in a 60 minute game of Madden. We have a tournament and the winner gets the job.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Ryan Mc Ryan Mc is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,941
Rep Points: 8926
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
If Gruden leaves Hue Jackson will be our new OC.

And I would be fine with that.
Exactly what I was going to write after reading the first post ... if Gruden goes it'll be Jackson taking over for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 21,420
Rep Points: 38940
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Speaking of college coaches Bobby petrino is an offensive guru, but he will never get another big time college head coaching job. Maybe he will jump at an NFL offensive coordinator position.
He is the new head coach at WKU


WTS who the hell would want Gruden as HC? If our O was as good as our D, we'd be favorites to win the SB
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Mexal's Avatar
Mexal Mexal is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 156
Rep Points: 103
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Chip Kelly is one of the best college coaches in the country, but I am not sure if his scheme would translate well to the NFL. NFL defenses are much more athletic and better conditioned than college units (See: Kelly versus SEC defenses)
It could work with the right personnel. Look at what the Redskins and 49ers are doing with the Pistol and read option.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
SHRacerX's Avatar
SHRacerX SHRacerX is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,558
Rep Points: 3475
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
If Gruden leaves Hue Jackson will be our new OC.

And I would be fine with that.
Agreed. I love that the Bengals picked up Jackson last year. Every offense he has had his hands on has produced. I also think his impact on the defense this year, explaining how to read a receiver and such, has been outstanding.

My only disappointment has been with Mays. I really thought he would be the coaches project, but he may just not have the football IQ.
__________________
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Mexal's Avatar
Mexal Mexal is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 156
Rep Points: 103
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
If Gruden leaves Hue Jackson will be our new OC.

And I would be fine with that.
Hue Jackson doesn't run a WCO though. I'd hate for Dalton to learn a whole new offense that relies more on vertical passing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
TGISunday's Avatar
TGISunday TGISunday is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,397
Rep Points: 3176
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
He is the new head coach at WKU


WTS who the hell would want Gruden as HC? If our O was as good as our D, we'd be favorites to win the SB
Remember San Diego last year? Top 5 o and d. No playoffs.

But yeah, I hear ya
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Wyche'sWarrior's Avatar
Wyche'sWarrior Wyche'sWarrior is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bluegrass Region
Posts: 8,669
Rep Points: 16674
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Speaking of college coaches Bobby petrino is an offensive guru, but he will never get another big time college head coaching job. Maybe he will jump at an NFL offensive coordinator position.
Petrino inked at WKU, and he has to buy his way out to the tune of 1.5 million if he decides to skip out on the contract....ouch! Those Western Kentucky boys ain't so dumb afterall, now are they fred?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
bengaljunky86's Avatar
bengaljunky86 bengaljunky86 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 494
Rep Points: 370
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

i wouldnt mind having a guy like doug marrone...hes the head coach of syracuse but befor that he was the OC for the saints with sean peyton...the saints never had a WR like green either and i think guys like sanu jones and hawkins could do damage in his scheme
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,588
Rep Points: 28686
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
He is the new head coach at WKU


WTS who the hell would want Gruden as HC? If our O was as good as our D, we'd be favorites to win the SB
Exactly. Jay hasn't shown any creativity since the Redskins game.

I wouldn't be too upset if he left, but I don't see him getting much interest.

If he happens to leave, Hue is the built in replacement.
__________________
Dash cam footage of LeGarrette Blount and LeVeon Bell prior to their arrest:

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Norm's Avatar
Norm Norm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East KY
Posts: 3,119
Rep Points: 2243
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Chip Kelly is one of the best college coaches in the country, but I am not sure if his scheme would translate well to the NFL. NFL defenses are much more athletic and better conditioned than college units (See: Kelly versus SEC defenses)
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Why would Chip Kelly go from a high level D-I head coach to an NFL offensive coordinator?????

Hell, Kelly has been linked to a couple head coaching jobs in the NFL.
And this.
__________________

Special thanks to NashvilleBengalfan for the sig!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
eliminate08's Avatar
eliminate08 eliminate08 is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Star Valley, Wyoming
Posts: 19,359
Rep Points: 26376
bengals Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Exactly. Jay hasn't shown any creativity since the Redskins game.

I wouldn't be too upset if he left, but I don't see him getting much interest.

If he happens to leave, Hue is the built in replacement.


Yep, the Grude has been dissapointing since mid season to say the least. Doubt anyone
would want him as a HC after this season. He needs to step it up here and if Gruden is
gone Hue is in the waiting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Au165 Au165 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,521
Rep Points: 4962
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post


Yep, the Grude has been dissapointing since mid season to say the least. Doubt anyone
would want him as a HC after this season. He needs to step it up here and if Gruden is
gone Hue is in the waiting.
There are plenty teams who still want him. Dalton's success in his first two seasons is unheard of so any team drafting their qb of the future will want him.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
eliminate08's Avatar
eliminate08 eliminate08 is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Star Valley, Wyoming
Posts: 19,359
Rep Points: 26376
bengals Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
There are plenty teams who still want him. Dalton's success in his first two seasons is unheard of so any team drafting their qb of the future will want him.

Maybe, but it should not be ignored with how bad his playcalling has been lately either and i am a big Grude supporter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,482
Rep Points: 31835
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin_city4L View Post
Was watching a video about head coaching jobs in the league on NFL.com and Charlie Casserly mentioned Jay Gruden as a possible HC candidate somewhere in the league. I know that this seems highly unlikely but in the event that this should happen (Gruden taking a HC job), who would you like to have in place of him?

I, for one, would love to see Chip Kelly come in and bring that 'blitzkrieg' type offense he runs at Oregon. A lightning, quick-strike offense where the 'no huddle' is used on almost every down and ***** the life and energy out of the opposing defense. I know we don't necessarily have a very athletic and mobile quarterback in Dalton but the man uses his feet sometimes and seems to have decent speed when he takes off to run. Peerman would do well in this system being as he has the perfect balance of speed and power along with good hands. Of course, draft another running back like Andre Ellington from Clemson, Kenjon Barner out of Oregon, or Knile Davis/Marcus Lattimore to add to our backfield.

This was quickly thrown together so I'm sorry but what is everyone thinking?
If we lose Jay Gruden?

then we have Hue Jackson.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Mexal's Avatar
Mexal Mexal is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 156
Rep Points: 103
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Maybe, but it should not be ignored with how bad his playcalling has been lately either and i am a big Grude supporter.
I don't think it's that bad. There are some issues but he has called a lot of plays that would have been successful if Dalton made a better pass or the WRs didn't drop the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,482
Rep Points: 31835
Default Re: Blitzkrieg Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Maybe, but it should not be ignored with how bad his playcalling has been lately either and i am a big Grude supporter.
I just dont get how vs the steelers was the first shovel pass to tate.

Or after Sanus big Wildcat play we never tried it again.

Or if reverses and screens are eating them up.. WHY do we stop using things that are working?

Is he just saving all the cool stuff for the playoffs? I hope so...

How does peerman not get one carry off tackle vs pitt?
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.