Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
eoxyod's Avatar
eoxyod eoxyod is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In a well and I can't get out...ladies
Posts: 37,477
Rep Points: 73848
Default The LSU Strength Coach has a Message



Don't want Montgomery for sure now
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 23,450
Rep Points: 43979
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

DAMN, somebody's looking for a new job.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 433
Rep Points: 374
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Montgomery, who put on 20 pounds in the off-season- on the list
Mingo, who refused to put on weight- not on the list

The first time I saw that was about three weeks after the Fla. game when Kwon Alexander broke his ankle, so if he is being called out for that it is stupid. I really want to know when it's from. Ware and Montgomery both had nagging injuries from camp that Les wanted them to rest and recover from.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
ishouldbegm's Avatar
ishouldbegm ishouldbegm is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 9,370
Rep Points: 9053
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

at least lavar edwards isn't listed
__________________
1st Bud Dupree DE
2nd Jake Fisher T
3rd Ramik Wilson LB
4th Doran Grant CB
4th JT Surratt DT
5th Jamil Douglas G
5th Aaron Davis LB
6th James Rouse DE
7th Mario Alford WR
UDFA Michael Dyer RB
UDFA Josh Shaw CB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Burma's Avatar
Burma Burma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,478
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Damn. To me that is a very damaging statement. Strength and conditioning are entirely about discipline and desire. That is much harder to coach up than sloppy technique. I will be a bit more cautious in my mocking of Montgomery. Hell of a ballsy coach though, I love it.
__________________
Quote:
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Burma's Avatar
Burma Burma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,478
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
at least lavar edwards isn't listed
That guy is going to be a steal. Love me some Edwards.
__________________
Quote:
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,920
Rep Points: 11351
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

I applaud that coach. They weren't there for him, he's not there for them.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM
TGISunday's Avatar
TGISunday TGISunday is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,741
Rep Points: 4313
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Wow. So much for keeping that stuff in house.

That's way worse than a bad reference from a former employer; with much bigger consequences.

Good news: Reid's not on that list.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 433
Rep Points: 374
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Wow. So much for keeping that stuff in house.

That's way worse than a bad reference from a former employer; with much bigger consequences.

Good news: Reid's not on that list.
S&C coaches don't have much to do with taking horrible angles and lapses in coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
grnvllbuck grnvllbuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, OH
Posts: 586
Rep Points: 290
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Thanks for the heads up coach!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
goalpost goalpost is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 4,057
Rep Points: 3681
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Heck of a talent this guy is, but he has lacked production all year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM
BengalUSCfan's Avatar
BengalUSCfan BengalUSCfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 2,687
Rep Points: 3086
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

My guess is that the coach got his arse ripped for that sign. Colleges WANT to brag about how many guys get drafted and how high. That bonehead coach probably wanted to send a strong, but temporary message to those players, but never counted on somebody taking a picture and going viral with it.

Brain dead. And if any of those guys had legit injuries, I hope they sue his arse.

Absolutely should have been kept in-house.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a public apology and/or retraction. I would love to hear the college explaining that sign to pro scouts at their Pro Day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,694
Rep Points: 4233
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalUSCfan View Post
My guess is that the coach got his arse ripped for that sign. Colleges WANT to brag about how many guys get drafted and how high. That bonehead coach probably wanted to send a strong, but temporary message to those players, but never counted on somebody taking a picture and going viral with it.

Brain dead. And if any of those guys had legit injuries, I hope they sue his arse.

Absolutely should have been kept in-house.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a public apology and/or retraction. I would love to hear the college explaining that sign to pro scouts at their Pro Day.
They can't sue him for that. That's like saying I am going to sue my former employer because he gave me a bad referral to my prospective employer, when in reality I was a turd worker.

That is exactly the type of information scouts, GMs, and coaches go to college coaches for. It doesn't stay in house. But there usually aren't pictures of it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 433
Rep Points: 374
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalUSCfan View Post
My guess is that the coach got his arse ripped for that sign. Colleges WANT to brag about how many guys get drafted and how high. That bonehead coach probably wanted to send a strong, but temporary message to those players, but never counted on somebody taking a picture and going viral with it.

Brain dead. And if any of those guys had legit injuries, I hope they sue his arse.

Absolutely should have been kept in-house.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a public apology and/or retraction. I would love to hear the college explaining that sign to pro scouts at their Pro Day.
You're right, he's been doing that sign thing for years. Someone just happened to take a picture that day. I would say that a lot of other collages have signs like that, but they haven't been posted on twitter, yet anyways.

According to some LSU boards, it's from the summer and you get put on the list even if you have a good reason for missing the work out. Which leads me to believe that Montgomery and Ware were with the training staff getting treatment.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Burma's Avatar
Burma Burma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,478
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
They can't sue him for that. That's like saying I am going to sue my former employer because he gave me a bad referral to my prospective employer, when in reality I was a turd worker.

That is exactly the type of information scouts, GMs, and coaches go to college coaches for. It doesn't stay in house. But there usually aren't pictures of it.
actually that is pretty much text book libel

Quote:
libel

1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others
__________________
Quote:
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,920
Rep Points: 11351
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
actually that is pretty much text book libel
But see, it's not an untruth. I could see if it said "These guys will not do well in the NFL". It's just a message that he doesn't want to talk about those guys because of how they were.

Scouts want to know these types of things.
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 433
Rep Points: 374
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
But see, it's not an untruth. I could see if it said "These guys will not do well in the NFL". It's just a message that he doesn't want to talk about those guys because of how they were.

Scouts want to know these types of things.
That depends though. If the player has a legit reason for missing the workout and he post that they don't care, then that is unture. That's why I want to know exactly when this is from.

Last edited by blt4584; 12-28-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
BengalUSCfan's Avatar
BengalUSCfan BengalUSCfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 2,687
Rep Points: 3086
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Strength coaches run the gamut from near-scientist to steroidal bonehead. NFL coaches probably get to know which program has which type.

Let's watch Montgomery at the combine and decide for ourselves who has been blowing off the weightroom. The bar doesn't lie...

And, just for the record, please recall that there were poor, published opinions prior to the draft about the work ethic of Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson. MJ in particular strikes me as anything but a slacker. How freak'in wrong can a pundit evaluation be?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,315
Rep Points: 5178
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

You can bet this'll come up in the interviews at the combine. Whether this is true or not, it's going to hurt all of them in the draft.

At the same time, if they can't put the work in, they don't deserve NFL team to go out on a limb for them.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
That depends though. If the player has a legit reason for missing the workout and he post that they don't care, then that is unture. That's why I want to know exactly when this is from.
If you have a legit reason, then you let them know you won't be there. You don't just blow somebody off. That shows you only care about yourself... Just like the sign said. And players with injuries don't get a pass. If you have an injured ankle or something, there's still a ****load of strength and conditioning you can do. You don't just stop working out.

Stop trying to defend selfish, irresponsible players.

Last edited by Bull Durham; 12-29-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,766
Rep Points: 13837
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post


Don't want Montgomery for sure now
I would be cautious about that list being a snap shot in time. What we do not know is if this was meant as motivational tool. Those names could change on a weekly basis.

Or it could be a damning overall statement of a players work ethic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Still Clinging to Hope
Posts: 4,480
Rep Points: 14163
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I would be cautious about that list being a snap shot in time. What we do not know is if this was meant as motivational tool. Those names could change on a weekly basis.

Or it could be a damning overall statement of a players work ethic.


Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
__________________
14+18+25+32+85+82+12+84+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
BengalUSCfan's Avatar
BengalUSCfan BengalUSCfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 2,687
Rep Points: 3086
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

How's this for a sign?

"Dear Players, you're probably going to get signed to multi-million dollar contracts while I'm stuck in this miserable sweatshop for the rest of my days. Don't you dare forget how important I am! I will screw you."

There are two sides to most stories.

As for telling the coach you're going to miss a workout, that is a legit point. But again, some of these coaches are so testerone laden and bull-headed that the fact that they don't check their own e-mail or their own voicemail wouldn't keep them from making a sign like this.

Let the combine speak for itself. If a DE can only do a dozen reps at 225, that speaks volumes. I wish they could do squats at the combine, but that would make the 40 yd dash the following day pretty entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,161
Rep Points: 3073
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I would be cautious about that list being a snap shot in time. What we do not know is if this was meant as motivational tool. Those names could change on a weekly basis.

Or it could be a damning overall statement of a players work ethic.
That is what I was thinking, the sign looks old the players list does not. Once again you have to remember these are 18-22 year old kids.

Dunlap and MJ both had concerns coming out and they are having good careers thus far. Dunlap needs to be more consistent though seems to disappear in games at times.
I know I was screaming for Golden Tate when they took Dunlap. He is just now becoming a productive player.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
blt4584 blt4584 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 433
Rep Points: 374
Default Re: The LSU Strength Coach has a Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
If you have a legit reason, then you let them know you won't be there. You don't just blow somebody off. That shows you only care about yourself... Just like the sign said. And players with injuries don't get a pass. If you have an injured ankle or something, there's still a ****load of strength and conditioning you can do. You don't just stop working out.

Stop trying to defend selfish, irresponsible players.
Except this guy is known for putting a name on a list even if you have a good reason. He doesn't care why you miss.

Montgomery has always been praised as a hard worker and has one of the best motors in the country, but because he appeared on one list once for largely unknown reasons I'm supposed to be worried? Not really buying it. Same goes for Collins and Johnson, but they aren't eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
That is what I was thinking, the sign looks old the players list does not. Once again you have to remember these are 18-22 year old kids.

Dunlap and MJ both had concerns coming out and they are having good careers thus far. Dunlap needs to be more consistent though seems to disappear in games at times.
I know I was screaming for Golden Tate when they took Dunlap. He is just now becoming a productive player.
Geno was also known for wearing down during games (conditioning) and work ethic/motor issues. You never really know what you are going to get.

Edit- Here is Moffit's Twitter, the only tweet about it is a few down, but he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.

https://twitter.com/TommyMoffitt

Last edited by blt4584; 12-29-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.