Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34446
Default Re: Scouting The Russell Athletic Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Definitely for real.

Any 6'1" 230lbs LBs you know of drafted in the first round? I looked some up. Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason, Jonathan Vilma,TKO were not the biggest.

A LB is fighting an uphill battle when HBs outweigh them.

You have to be a real special player to make size not matter in the NFL. I don't know many LBs who win battles in which they are giving up 100lbs to an OL.

I'm just saying. He was a safety. And if it turns out Rutgers has been playing the old roster trick and listing a guy bigger than he really is...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Was 6'3" 242lbs at the combine.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34446

Quote:
Was 6'3" 242lbs at the combine.
So if Khaseem weighs in at 10 pounds above his playing weight, then we're good.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
So if Khaseem weighs in at 10 pounds above his playing weight, then we're good.
That's pretty much what started the discussion. I think if he comes in around 240 he could go in the first. If he is <230 I don't think too many people will fall in love with him as a first rounder.

Then again if he comes in 30 pounds overweight acts like a punk and refuses to run a 40 maybe we can get him as an udfa.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

Quote:
Definitely for real.

Any 6'1" 230lbs LBs you know of drafted in the first round? I looked some up. Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason, Jonathan Vilma,TKO were not the biggest.

A LB is fighting an uphill battle when HBs outweigh them.

You have to be a real special player to make size not matter in the NFL. I don't know many LBs who win battles in which they are giving up 100lbs to an OL.

I'm just saying. He was a safety. And if it turns out Rutgers has been playing the old roster trick and listing a guy bigger than he really is...
I dont know too many running backs that weigh 240+... Maybe fullbacks. I dont know if youve been paying attention, but the growing trend among many professional inside line backers is slimming down to around the 235-240 range. Tight ends are faster and stronger and the weight loss keeps them on par with many of todays tight ends. Rey Lewis' play was improved prior to his injury and he accredited to his dropping down to 235 from around 250. Maulaga has shown improvement after slimming down. I watched the game and Greene was all over the place making plays. He flies to the ball. That being said if he's there at 2A we cant pass on him.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Have been impressed with Greene. Just a great football player with a nose for the ball. If they don't go Ogeltree late 1, I think Greene would be a good pick early 2 (thanks, Carson!) or the proper 2nd. Damn good football player. Not sure he has the upside to warrant a pick in the first.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
I dont know too many running backs that weigh 240+... Maybe fullbacks. I dont know if youve been paying attention, but the growing trend among many professional inside line backers is slimming down to around the 235-240 range. Tight ends are faster and stronger and the weight loss keeps them on par with many of todays tight ends. Rey Lewis' play was improved prior to his injury and he accredited to his dropping down to 235 from around 250. Maulaga has shown improvement after slimming down. I watched the game and Greene was all over the place making plays. He flies to the ball. That being said if he's there at 2A we cant pass on him.
Dwyer and Richardson are two in our division that weigh 230. If we only played sub 200lbs HBs it wouldn't really concern me. But that is just not the case.

Ray Lewis lost weight because he is 37 years old and it was the only way he could maintain his speed and stamina.

Maualuga lost weight because he was overweight and his personal project of packing on pounds did not work. That shows me its not a given that anybody can just tack on more weight and still play up to their potential.