Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: 3X in the last 4 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
I should note that this year we likewise have a spotty offensive line and only one reliable receiver. At least in 09 we had a running game.
We're still probably 1 or 2 impact players away from elite. I define elite as winning the division multiple times and winning playoff games.

The division was ours for the taking this year with all the other teams I juries and should be next year too.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2394

Win a playoff game.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
We're still probably 1 or 2 impact players away from elite. I define elite as winning the division multiple times and winning playoff games.

The division was ours for the taking this year with all the other teams I juries and should be next year too.
It's ours to take if we fix the interior blocking, add some speed at RB and above all make sure we have WRs besides AJ who can run routes properly and catch the ball in traffic.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorobredbullies View Post
Only teams that are at least 3 of 4 are NE, Baltimore, Saints, Packers, Falcons, Colts and yep the BENGALS not bad company if you ask me.
I was just looking this up.
New England, Baltimore, and Green Bay have been each of the last four years. Cincinnati, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Indianapolis have been in 3 of the last 4.

With that said, 2 of those 7 teams have won the Super Bowl. Another 2 have at least been there. Baltimore has won a game each of the last 3 years as well. Only the Falcons and Bengals do not have a playoff win in that timeframe.

Look, I'm happy with the success that the Bengals have had recently, but I am in no way satisfied. This team needs to start winning playoff games rather than just appearing in them. It's good to see them up there with the best teams in the league, but what does it matter when you can't get wins against them?

That changes this year.

Join the Bengals Message Board Survivor League. You know you want to....
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=125239
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 431

That 2009 playoff game, we can thank Shayne Graham for completely deflating the team and causing the Bengals to lose all momentum with his two chip shot field goals that he missed. 2005, we can thank the Steelers for sabotaging our QB. Who's to say we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl that year? Last year's team was young and had never "been there before".
This year? It's time to make some noise.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
That's probably because when all 3 phases click this team is almost unstoppable. Unfortunately for us though, that hasn't happened all that often this year.

The 2009 team was great on defense, decent on offense; just like this team. The main difference though is potential. In 2009, that team was playing to its potential(1 decent receiver, the rest pretty much garbage), especially on offense. This year's team still needs to play to their potential on the offensive side of the ball.
but this is still being said of the team despite the Offense being what it is lately, we can still run the ball well as this team went from 3-5 to this with Law Firm racking up 100 yard games week after week and as bad as his game was last week with the Steelers, it's not an indictment of his season or the Bengals ability to run the ball when you consider he still ran the ball well in Philadelphia and we lost the Dallas game because for some reason his last carry of the game was with 12 minutes left when the Offense generally struggled in those games but Law Firm didn't, if the playoff field was full of Steeler Defenses this could be a problem but the only top 10 defenses against the run that are in the playoffs are Denver who everyone wants to avoid at this point and maybe Houston but they're vulnerable at stopping the pass

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 12-28-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32168

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Yes, we have made the playoffs. Now let's win in the playoffs. Our goal shouldn't be JUST to make it anymore. It should be to win it.

And with that said, I still like the DNO shirts the Bengals wore the beginning of this year. I honestly think it's the first time I heard Marvin actually talk about winning the Super Bowl first, rather than the division or making the playoffs.
Andy dalton says they are not a 1 and done team this year.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1400

Quote:
That's great, but getting there isn't enough, and the "hating" won't stop until the post-season wins come.
I don't agree I've seen these so-called realist that most of us dub as haters come out the wood works with a loss. Most of them count everything against the bengals and staff and players even if the refs mess up. I for one don't understand it, it's like any opportunity to slight the team they take it. Then they come in here say we are homers and blinded because we expect and see change. They will never go away Super Bowl or not, the next complaints will be the fashion that we win... Oh never mind that that rabbit out for the Pittsburgh game.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciREborn View Post
3X in the last 4 Years we have been to the playoffs

At what point are the haters silenced?
3X in the last 4 years is not a feeble accomplishment

This is the season we bring it all home!

This post isn't anything great
Just me saying take notice
This season belongs to the Queen City!

WHO DEY!

but this is a great post. we have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. we need to realize that for the Bengals, that is something special. we ended a very serious drought this year. people need to wake up and soak it in.

while i understand that the team is still in need of criticism, we need to enjoy the fact that they finally accomplished something that some of us haven't been alive long enough to see. i'm proud as hell of them, regardless of what they do in their playoff game. dalton is 2 for 2 so far and has already done things in the first 2 years that only 2 other hall of fame quarterbacks have been able to do.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32168

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolby20 View Post
but this is a great post. we have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. we need to realize that for the Bengals, that is something special. we ended a very serious drought this year. people need to wake up and soak it in.

while i understand that the team is still in need of criticism, we need to enjoy the fact that they finally accomplished something that some of us haven't been alive long enough to see. i'm proud as hell of them, regardless of what they do in their playoff game. dalton is 2 for 2 so far and has already done things in the first 2 years that only 2 other hall of fame quarterbacks have been able to do.
Exactly i was born in 82... so this so far has been a once in a life time event for me.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Exactly i was born in 82... so this so far has been a once in a life time event for me.
lol i was born in 86 so technically i guess it has happened once for me but come on. im proud to finally be able to SEE it happen.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
but this is still being said of the team despite the Offense being what it is lately, we can still run the ball well as this team went from 3-5 to this with Law Firm racking up 100 yard games week after week and as bad as his game was last week with the Steelers, it's not an indictment of his season or the Bengals ability to run the ball when you consider he still ran the ball well in Philadelphia and we lost the Dallas game because for some reason his last carry of the game was with 12 minutes left when the Offense generally struggled in those games but Law Firm didn't, if the playoff field was full of Steeler Defenses this could be a problem but the only top 10 defenses against the run that are in the playoffs are Denver who everyone wants to avoid at this point and maybe Houston but they're vulnerable at stopping the pass
I'm not really upset about the run game so much. BGE went up against a great defense and had a bad game, that happens. What I'm kinda nervous about though is the passing game. All the drops. Dalton going through a very mediocre stretch. Seemingly unable to connect on anything deep. When you're in a passing league this is a very bad problem to have. I'm not saying it won't get better, but it certainly NEEDS to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
I don't agree I've seen these so-called realist that most of us dub as haters come out the wood works with a loss. Most of them count everything against the bengals and staff and players even if the refs mess up. I for one don't understand it, it's like any opportunity to slight the team they take it. Then they come in here say we are homers and blinded because we expect and see change. They will never go away Super Bowl or not, the next complaints will be the fashion that we win... Oh never mind that that rabbit out for the Pittsburgh game.
I would classify myself as a "realist", but I'm not that extreme. If the team wins I of course enjoy that, but I also look at things(if any) that they didn't do so well in. The passing game simply hasn't been good for the last 4 weeks.
Those are the QB ratings from the last 4 games.
I'm not saying that's all on Dalton, but that's a situation that shouldn't be ignored. Green isn't performing like his usual self, and the line doesn't look dominant(giving up 4.5sacks per game since week13 vs. 2.5sacks per game the previous weeks). That needs to get better if we hope to win in the post-season.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7738

Quote:
True, and he did say "I'm gonna toss 3 picks and we're going to get embarrassed by a 3rd stringer!" around this time last year, so you know he's telling the truth!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
It's ours to take if we fix the interior blocking, add some speed at RB and above all make sure we have WRs besides AJ who can run routes properly and catch the ball in traffic.
Assuming we don't lose any key players.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17152

Quote:
I'm not really upset about the run game so much. BGE went up against a great defense and had a bad game, that happens. What I'm kinda nervous about though is the passing game. All the drops. Dalton going through a very mediocre stretch. Seemingly unable to connect on anything deep. When you're in a passing league this is a very bad problem to have. I'm not saying it won't get better, but it certainly NEEDS to.

I would classify myself as a "realist", but I'm not that extreme. If the team wins I of course enjoy that, but I also look at things(if any) that they didn't do so well in. The passing game simply hasn't been good for the last 4 weeks.
Those are the QB ratings from the last 4 games.
I'm not saying that's all on Dalton, but that's a situation that shouldn't be ignored. Green isn't performing like his usual self, and the line doesn't look dominant(giving up 4.5sacks per game since week13 vs. 2.5sacks per game the previous weeks). That needs to get better if we hope to win in the post-season.
Would you be kind enough to post the running games figures for the last 4 weeks?

Andy will light that sheeeet up against the Ravens this week, write it down
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
that can easily be pinpointed to the loss of Sanu, I mean just the numbers before and after he got hurt are telling and everyone is ripping on Marvin Jones for not stepping up. I think the one that should be called out is Andrew Hawkins. Sanu was productive in the month Hawkins was out but at the same time Sanu went out, Hawkins came back and he was the productive one back in September but he hasnt had more than 47 yards in a game since September and everyone was gloating about him in September but Hawkins apparently gets a free pass while everyone else criticizes Marvin Jones?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 27031

Quote:
, Hawkins came back and he was the productive one back in September but he hasnt had more than 47 yards in a game since September and everyone was gloating about him in September but Hawkins apparently gets a free pass while everyone else criticizes Marvin Jones?
Like many of Andy Dalton's passes, criticism goes right over Andrew Hawkins head.....
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Would you be kind enough to post the running games figures for the last 4 weeks?

Andy will light that sheeeet up against the Ravens this week, write it down
Someone is having a good Friday night.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5714

Quote:
Interesting.

I think this sort of statement can get everyone on the team on the same page and believing. Yeah they wanted to win the game anyways, but this can be sort of self-actualizing (sorry, it is a buzzword I know).

Remember, the Bengals road to out of the failure of the 90s seemed to really take hold when Chad made his guarantee against a then very good Kansas City team.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

3X in 4 years is not enough.
A playoff win is not enough.

Two playoff wins is not enough.

I have been a fan of this team from year 1, and a Super Bowl win is what I want.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciREborn View Post
3X in the last 4 Years we have been to the playoffs

At what point are the haters silenced?
3X in the last 4 years is not a feeble accomplishment

This is the season we bring it all home!

This post isn't anything great
This season belongs to the Queen City!

WHO DEY!
0x in the 22 years we have won in the playoffs.

At what point are the homers silenced?
0x in the last 22 is not an understandable blunder

We can all hope this year is the one to end our misery!

This isn't anything great
To the fact that this might be just as acceptable as the OP

WHO DEY!

Last edited by 12thmanontheBengals; 12-29-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
Interesting.

I think this sort of statement can get everyone on the team on the same page and believing. Yeah they wanted to win the game anyways, but this can be sort of self-actualizing (sorry, it is a buzzword I know).

Remember, the Bengals road to out of the failure of the 90s seemed to really take hold when Chad made his guarantee against a then very good Kansas City team.
he also did the same thing when they went into Houston in 2002 at 0-7 and won 38-3, he just got carried away when he did it Week 17 in 2003 with Cleveland and of course that was the Lee Suggs game

I know this is a bit offtopic but one thing I remember that nobody mentions or knows is that Chad was also planning a TD celebration for that game as the Bengals needed their own win plus they needed the Steelers to beat the Ravens that night and he had a terrible towel hidden in the goal post and he was planning to wave it after a Touchdown in support of them later that night - of course the Steelers would go on to lose that game too when Jamal Lewis got his 2,000+ yard season that night as well
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36858

Quote:
I should note that this year we likewise have a spotty offensive line and only one reliable receiver. At least in 09 we had a running game.
Run game has been decent. We have big play ability that 09 team simply did not. 2012 AJ is vastly superior 09 Ocho. Gresham, as much as we complain, is also vastly superior to any TE we had in 09. Gruden is way better than Brat (which is why the run game has been effective cuz 09 Ced is better than Ellis for sure).

That's just on offense.

On defense, the strength is still the Dline, but it is much better and younger and is getting better as we enter the playoffs as opposed to the 09 team, whose defense, especially the line, was shot by the end of the year.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
that can easily be pinpointed to the loss of Sanu, I mean just the numbers before and after he got hurt are telling and everyone is ripping on Marvin Jones for not stepping up. I think the one that should be called out is Andrew Hawkins. Sanu was productive in the month Hawkins was out but at the same time Sanu went out, Hawkins came back and he was the productive one back in September but he hasnt had more than 47 yards in a game since September and everyone was gloating about him in September but Hawkins apparently gets a free pass while everyone else criticizes Marvin Jones?
The reality is that Andrew Hawkins is a gadget player. He is too small to be an everyday WR in the league. Basically the lack of height means he can't operate well catching the ball in traffic because if the QB puts it in his wheelhouse it is also in the wheelhouse for the DB.

If we want Hawk to be productive we need to use scheme to get him open - actual space around him. For example WR screens.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Run game has been decent. We have big play ability that 09 team simply did not. 2012 AJ is vastly superior 09 Ocho. Gresham, as much as we complain, is also vastly superior to any TE we had in 09. Gruden is way better than Brat (which is why the run game has been effective cuz 09 Ced is better than Ellis for sure).

That's just on offense.

On defense, the strength is still the Dline, but it is much better and younger and is getting better as we enter the playoffs as opposed to the 09 team, whose defense, especially the line, was shot by the end of the year.
Sorry but the run game has been erratic, and outside of AJ no one can be trusted to reliably go out there, run the correct route and catch the ball even in traffic.