Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 117
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
If you allow Guards to get to any MLB in the league they will get pushed around. THAT is the problem.

In the 1st Texans game, Rey had 2 forced fumbles and we limited Foster to low yardage. I believe that we had Sims in that game.

Rey does overpursue from time to time, but it's not terrible.

What this team needs is an OLB who can rush the passer and be disruptive. Lawson kind of disappointed me in that role although overall he was above average. Howard really struggled to cover TE's this year.
when the line was doing going rey was still average at best we need a mb ,howard did good ,and lawson was ok ,rey seems lost
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1612

The tats and hair are cool damn it. But Rey gotta step up. Looking the part will only get you so far.

Please see our former quarterback who sure looked the part.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 279

I have been saying it since the beginning of the season Rey has been average at best. Our Dline definately hid some discrepancies at LB much of the season. Rey hustles but he is not competent enough to be ML. There is a reason they dont put him in on passing downs much its becuz they know he cant cover. I honestly think he needs a paycut next year and be a backup and bring in another LB. Maybe im overreacting a little but ive watched enough of him to know he seems to get blocked too easy and cant make one on one tackles.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42965

Just wanted to bump a thread from a year ago. But the question remains: What sat about Rey?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Just wanted to bump a thread from a year ago. But the question remains: What sat about Rey?

Hate to stick my inexpert neck out there, but I honestly think he's played pretty well since losing the weight. His coverage has been better overall - and very good at times. And he seems to be hitting the right gap most of the time.

Still has some problems shedding at times, but a world better from where he was playing at the beginning of the season. He doesn't appear to be making the bone headed plays he was in the first half of the season - like shooting a gap to make a big play and guessing wrong.

And Pistons made a good point back in January: if the D - Line occupies the guards he plays well. Our DTs seem to either penetrate or slide along the LOS which allows guards to get to the 2nd level more easily. He tends to struggle with the guards at such times.

I've been pretty satisfied over the last several games.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16991
bengals Re: What say about Rey?

I think The bengals need to upgrade the position...and i think the upgrade is named Vontaze Burfict. Although if he moves inside, what's left outside???

With that said, i think Rey improved somewhat towards the end of the year..errr... his mistakes didnt stand out as much. he is the starting MLBer on a top ten defense. I surmize it's inspite of him though...
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7648

resign him and make him compete for the job may the best man win

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17807

Quote:
But he does have cool hair and Tattos.
So does clay matthews
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals in Toronto View Post
resign him and make him compete for the job may the best man win
I dont think he's gonna settle for competing for a job as a free agent when someone will overpay him to remain where he is on the field
Old 12-29-2012, 01:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9859

Quote:
Most of the year I have been critical of Rey's play. I've been assured it is not his fault that he's not very good. Rey is the only person that can make me miss Dhani Jones. This 4-3 D needs a MLB and let Rey be the backup SAM. Who disagrees?
I cant find any reason to disagree with you. #58 is not the answer for us at MLB. The fact that we had to bring Crocker back to help direct the defense is just another reason why Rey cant handle the job. A complete MLB should be able to dictate all aspects of the defense, Rey cant handle that.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18788

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
I think The bengals need to upgrade the position...and i think the upgrade is named Vontaze Burfict. Although if he moves inside, what's left outside???

With that said, i think Rey improved somewhat towards the end of the year..errr... his mistakes didnt stand out as much. he is the starting MLBer on a top ten defense. I surmize it's inspite of him though...
He certainly had a worse year this year than last year.

To me, he looked good beginning in the Jax game, and that is indeed when he started to get better, as he struggled mightily the first two games (except for the second half of the Cleveland game, wher ehe came up with some big stops).

He was getting more tackles, and missing more tackles in the beginning though, whereas in the last little stretch, he's been garnering less stats.

However, while he wasn't as bad as the first three games, since then, he hasn't gotten tons better; he has merely made less mistakes, and has been less of a burden on the team.

Does he need to be replaced? One look at his PFF rating says yes, immediately, however unless its a high, high draft pick, I don't see anyone else doing better.

And Burfict will be awful in the middle next year; he's just as bad as Rey is in coverage, just as good in run D, and has been our worst pass rusher at WLB from the time of Brian Simmons 'til now.

Leave him on the outside.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

ON Defense I think this team needs a MLB, a WLB, a SS, and another CB.

On Offense I think this team needs a Quick RB.

All of those issues can be filled in FA, and Draft.

In other words Rey is expendable, as is Crocker, Lawson, and our #4 CB.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25868

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
ON Defense I think this team needs a MLB, a WLB, a SS, and another CB.

On Offense I think this team needs a Quick RB.

All of those issues can be filled in FA, and Draft.

In other words Rey is expendable, as is Crocker, Lawson, and our #4 CB.
We said that last year and who did we have to bring back for SS?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
I cant find any reason to disagree with you. #58 is not the answer for us at MLB. The fact that we had to bring Crocker back to help direct the defense is just another reason why Rey cant handle the job. A complete MLB should be able to dictate all aspects of the defense, Rey cant handle that.
I don't buy a secondary starting two new players with a third coming off a torn achilles was having communication issues because of our MLB. Crocker fixed the communication deficiency we had in the secondary. A role Nelson was supposed fill.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

Quote:
Most of the year I have been critical of Rey's play. I've been assured it is not his fault that he's not very good. Rey is the only person that can make me miss Dhani Jones. This 4-3 D needs a MLB and let Rey be the backup SAM. Who disagrees?
I think he's very ordinary. A play making MLB would be amazing behind the Dline we have. It's obvious that he fell in the draft for a reason, he's just not very good.

Bengals have done some good things in the draft. I think the media age has helped them, and perhaps the lack of scouts helps them to avoid over thinking it on draft day.

Rey is a good example of the negative part of that though. It's like if a dude seems to be falling, then they just haaaave to take that guy...."It's such good value"....Sometimes, not so much.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42965

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
So does clay matthews
Yep, but unlike Rey, Clay is a really good football player.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
That was just bad management. We should have signed someone, LaRon Landry was available.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
That was just bad management. We should have signed someone, LaRon Landry was available.
And what if he didn't want to come here? There has to be mutual interest. He was looking for a one year deal and we were looking for a solution long term.

Landry (I wanted him) is also made of glass and could easily go down at any time.
So there were reasons to not get Landry as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9859

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I don't buy a secondary starting two new players with a third coming off a torn achilles was having communication issues because of our MLB. Crocker fixed the communication deficiency we had in the secondary. A role Nelson was supposed fill.
Defense prior to Crockers return = poop

Defense post Crockers return = a lot better

MLB is like the quarterback of the defense, Rey was responsible and he failed to do his job. We had to bring back Crocker to help him out. Just pathetic if you ask me.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
And what if he didn't want to come here? There has to be mutual interest. He was looking for a one year deal and we were looking for a solution long term.

Landry (I wanted him) is also made of glass and could easily go down at any time.
So there were reasons to not get Landry as well.
He's had some injuries, sure, but a lot of that is luck. If they physically good to go at the time, signing a guy like him makes more sense than what they did. And if he only wanted one year, then even better, so if we have to overpay a bit to garner that "mutual interest" then it's only for one year and you see what happens......Better than that money going in MBs pocket.

They could and should have made that move.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
He's had some injuries, sure, but a lot of that is luck. If they physically good to go at the time, signing a guy like him makes more sense than what they did. And if he only wanted one year, then even better, so if we have to overpay a bit to garner that "mutual interest" then it's only for one year and you see what happens......Better than that money going in MBs pocket.

They could and should have made that move.
No they shouldn't have.
We can't say that.
You could say YOU would have.
But to say they should have with 3 young guys they expected to make the next step, is a bit off base. I would have too.

Overpay for a guy who managed 8 and 9 games in the 2 seasons before hitting free agency and then got alternative treatments over surgery for a ruptured Achilles and you think him getting hurt is about luck? To me it seems like him staying healthy right now is luck.

We tried to sign Whitner.
He bolted to SF.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
No they shouldn't have.
We can't say that.
You could say YOU would have.
But to say they should have with 3 young guys they expected to make the next step, is a bit off base. I would have too.

Overpay for a guy who managed 8 and 9 games in the 2 seasons before hitting free agency and then got alternative treatments over surgery for a ruptured Achilles and you think him getting hurt is about luck? To me it seems like him staying healthy right now is luck.

We tried to sign Whitner.
He bolted to SF.
Okay then, I'll give you the Landry point. I wasn't aware of those details you just mentioned.

I'll just say that we shouldn't have "tried" to sign Whitner, we should have made sure.

Those dudes you're talking about are bums and everyone knew it. Obviously the Bengals had an inkling too being as they did pursue Whitner. They should have done more than give it the ol college try....They should have made that happen.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
He certainly had a worse year this year than last year.

To me, he looked good beginning in the Jax game, and that is indeed when he started to get better, as he struggled mightily the first two games (except for the second half of the Cleveland game, wher ehe came up with some big stops).

He was getting more tackles, and missing more tackles in the beginning though, whereas in the last little stretch, he's been garnering less stats.

However, while he wasn't as bad as the first three games, since then, he hasn't gotten tons better; he has merely made less mistakes, and has been less of a burden on the team.

Does he need to be replaced? One look at his PFF rating says yes, immediately, however unless its a high, high draft pick, I don't see anyone else doing better.

And Burfict will be awful in the middle next year; he's just as bad as Rey is in coverage, just as good in run D, and has been our worst pass rusher at WLB from the time of Brian Simmons 'til now.

Leave him on the outside.
Dude, I always read what you write. In fact I seek your insight out when I peruse this section.

An honest ( and you would know more than me ) assessment ( the eye test, actually ) tells me that Burfict would at minimum be sufficient. Dare I say better?? Just someone that controls his spot. He doesn't have to shine.... just control your lane!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Just because you are driving on a worn out tire, doesn't mean you should keep driving on it.

We need a SS, and did not go get one. That was a dumb move this off season.
I was wrong. I thought Mays would click in Zimmers system.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462

Quote:
Why did it need bumped ? The same discussion went on a week ago.

I believe he has played betted since he has lost the weight. IMO it is too little too late. Does that mean he will not be back? That remains to be seen.

If he is back it would be difficult to make the switch of Burfict to the middle. That would probably mean Rey moving to the strongside and in making the move how would he play? You would have to think it would be a mental setback for him.

To say the least it will be an interesting off-season. I have supported him in the middle after not being a fan of drafting him but I just do not see much more room for improvement with him. I think at some point soon the move of Burfict to the middle has to happen.